What the ??? Sharp LC-32SB23U or LC-32SB24U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-14-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought 2 TVs from Walmart. After getting home I found that I have one LC-32SB24U and one LC-32SB23U.

There are a few mixed reviews and after about 2 hours of research I found very little in terms of which one might be better. Anyone know which one I should keep? I'm guessing I'll need to return to WM and find out what model they really had on display.

The display tag had 398.00 regularly 612.00

The receipt had 398.00 regularly 498.00 for 23U and
398.00 regularly 574.00 for 24U

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-14-2008, 07:14 PM

The 23U is specific to certain retailers, like Walmart, and is said to be identical to the 24U. The only difference seems to be the color of the speaker grill (gray on 23U and black on 24U).

The reason different model numbers are used for certain retailers, is to allow a store to sell a product at a low price point, and other retailers are not obligated to price match the similar model. This practice is common at Costco, as well.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

That is what I was thinking but some post on various forums consider the 23u to be the lesser in quality. Given I found both at the same retailer I was concerned one might be the replacement for the other.

Thanks
post #4 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyxxpress View Post

I just bought 2 TVs from Walmart. After getting home I found that I have one LC-32SB24U and one LC-32SB23U.

There are a few mixed reviews and after about 2 hours of research I found very little in terms of which one might be better. Anyone know which one I should keep? I'm guessing I'll need to return to WM and find out what model they really had on display.

The display tag had 398.00 regularly 612.00

The receipt had 398.00 regularly 498.00 for 23U and
398.00 regularly 574.00 for 24U

Thanks,

I just purchased the LC-26SB24U, so I assume our TV's are identical with the exception of the screen size. Mine has HORRIBLE backlight leakage (a term I just learned on another site), and I'm in the process of exchanging it. How is your set? Is there backlight leakage or is it ok?

If it wasn't for this problem I'd LOVE the TV, but it really is unwatchable, even with 4X3 material. (especially scifi stuff which always have dark scenes, but I even notice it in light scenes) I'm hoping this is a fluke which is why I was wondering how your TV is. If it's ok, it gives me some hope that the new one will be ok too when it arrives. (the exchange process is a bit complicated since I bought it online, but the people were really nice)
post #5 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't taken them out of the box yet. I was hoping to find out if one was better than the other so it would be easier to return them.

I seen one display at walmart and it look very good. I'm not sure if the one on display was a 23U or 24U.

If I don't get any convincing replies, I plan on doing a side by side this weekend.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-16-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:

I haven't taken them out of the box yet. I was hoping to find out if one was better than the other so it would be easier to return them.

I seen one display at walmart and it look very good. I'm not sure if the one on display was a 23U or 24U.

If I don't get any convincing replies, I plan on doing a side by side this weekend.

Thanks for the reply! Unless your a videophile freak (I used to be so I can say that...lol!) I think you'll be happy as long as there isn't some major defect in it. I saw the 32 and 26 inch in store, and that's what convinced me to go with Sharp as opposed to a cheaper off brand....my 26 pushes red big time, but using video essentials helped that, plus I had to turn it down some as well, but the backlight problem is truly aweful. I've read Sharp has some of the best quality control however, so hopefully my first set is just a fluke. 'crosses fingers'

Hope you enjoy your new TV and hope it goes well for you.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-18-2008, 08:02 AM

My replacement came yesterday, and it works!!!!!!!!!!!! yahoo!

In fact it works so well that now that I see how one is supposed to look, I realize just how defective my first one was. (it was truly frelled) I'm thankful the replacement sorks so well. Is it "perfect"? Probably not, but you kinda have to really look for any issues...and look pretty hard, which I'm not in the habit of doing. I watched Narnia last night, which has tons of dark scenes, and I was totally satisfied and pleased. I'm celebrating today and the old set is packed and ready to go back as soon as I print my return label out!

All I wanted was something I can sit back and enjoy with better PQ than i've ever experienced, and I have it. The not so "black" blacks and all doesn't bother me at all, and I could be more happy.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-18-2008, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:

Considering that you can return either one to Walmart within a 30 day period, I would definitely compare them side by side. Then you shouldn't have any regrets when making your decision.

Afro GT
post #9 of 9 Old 12-26-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPhoenix View Post

My replacement came yesterday, and it works!!!!!!!!!!!! yahoo!

In fact it works so well that now that I see how one is supposed to look, I realize just how defective my first one was. (it was truly frelled) I'm thankful the replacement sorks so well. Is it "perfect"? Probably not, but you kinda have to really look for any issues...and look pretty hard, which I'm not in the habit of doing. I watched Narnia last night, which has tons of dark scenes, and I was totally satisfied and pleased. I'm celebrating today and the old set is packed and ready to go back as soon as I print my return label out!

All I wanted was something I can sit back and enjoy with better PQ than i've ever experienced, and I have it. The not so "black" blacks and all doesn't bother me at all, and I could be more happy.

Well as I posted in another thread, so much for my short lived joy. My second Sharp after 4 days was a total disaster with MASSIVE bleeding all over the screen. I guess it took a few days for all the tubes and lights to warm up because I didn't notice it the first night, but after 3 or 4 nights....holy cow. After 9 days now it's a complete mess and unwatchable except in daylight conditions, and bright scenes. Each day I have to click the brightness control up one notch because it keeps bleeding through. Watch it's a wonderful life was an interesting experience, as the bleed at the top of the screen was so bad, that in any dark scenes, when people would walk through the middle of the frame their heads/faces actually diappeared and only a bright light was visible. Apparenly all Sharp 26 inch screens of the model are totally frelled, which leads me to my next question in a new thread....
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page