Best HD set for split-screen versatility? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-24-2008, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a new HDTV, and every store I go to seems to give me a different story about the PiP or split-screen capabilities of the last few generations of hardware.

I have a Nintendo Wii, an Xbox360, a PS2, as well as a digital cable service. What I want is to be able to mix and match from these inputs, either in a picture-in-picture or side-by-side view. Lots of TVs we've looked at seem like they'd be able to do this, but it turns out they have only put the TV tuner on one side, and one input on the other. I want to be able to watch TV while a friend plays Madden on the Xbox. Or play the PS2 while my daughter plays a game on the Wii. While I'm doing split-screen stuff, video quality isn't a prime concern for me, and I'm not interested in watching two TV shows at once. It's all about combining video game with video game, or video game with TV (or movie).

Is there an HDTV out there that will let me mix and match two inputs on screen simultaneously, without needing extra hardware? Why do the TVs that seem like they should do this always seem not to work?

I'm hoping that someone here can help me out and point me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-24-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, maybe I should broaden the question a little.

Can anyone tell me the name of any product that will do what I'm looking for, never mind the best?

Are there any TVs out there that can do split-screen across their inputs?
post #3 of 4 Old 12-25-2008, 08:41 AM

I own both a Vizio GV46L (two year old model) and an Olevia 242TFHD (almost a year old). Vizio has wonderful PIP/POP capabilities but there are limitations. If you have an input on HDMI 1, you can't do PIP with any other HDMI source. That's pretty much the same with all the inputs. AV1 (composite) can't do PIP with AV2, DTV nor TV but all other inputs are available. You probably should just view one of the manuals online. Here's the link to the SV470XVT manual. Scroll to page 55 to see the PIP/POP chart.

On the Olevia, the PIP capabilities are very similar. HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 cannot PIP each other, but I can do HDMI and TV (coax input). I am actually doing that as I type this reply. Sportscenter is in the PIP window and my computer is on HDMI2.

Now of course the problem with Olevia is who knows what is happening with them? Although they did recently release a blu-ray player but I am not sure what the fate of the company is regarding their TVs.

Hope that helps.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-26-2008, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information, midisidster. I'm not really familiar with either brand, but I'll see what else I can dig up on those models.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page