2009 Vizio XVT Series: 240Hz, USB input, LED backlight [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 166 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4951 of 4991 Old 01-30-2011, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So on the back of my 551 I can see through the plastic grill there is a red blinking light. Does anyone else notice this? It's fairly obvious and easy to see and it's on the top back left of the tv.

If you have a 551 and can look at your back easily please help me out and have a gander = )

Thnks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 4991 Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has success with pairing the 552 remote with a PS3 yet?

About every three months I try it out, but cannot get them to sync. I've also sent Vizio tech a few letters trying to get help on this (confirming one way or the other if it works or not) and have never heard back about it.

If they cannot be paired, can anyone suggest a cheap* universal remote that works for both, including the use of the VIA widgets?

It is just so inconvenient to use the PS3 controller for blu-rays and Netflix, especially with the auto shutoff. Before purchasing a PS3 remote, I'd like to know what other options I have.
_

*I say 'cheap' because the PS3 and 552 are the only devices I use a remote for and have no need for a Harmony that would [not] control several other devices.
post #4953 of 4991 Old 02-16-2011, 12:56 PM

Liked: 11
Well, have had the VF552XVT for about a month now - was great, up until last nite. Started with the wifi not working a few days ago, a few random reboots, and now these lovely messed-up pixels/lines. Sadly, its even in the V logo at bootup

Waiting on a call back from Vizio, sent these pictures their way.

Mind the quality (phone cam) but well - things are a wee bit screwed up!
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #4954 of 4991 Old 02-17-2011, 12:33 PM

Liked: 11
Well, for anyone wanting to know (for the sake of the search button), Vizio got back to me, said it looked like Wifi card problems, and display issues - offered to repair, or replace it (my choice)

Due to the display issues, I opted for a replace, a new set should be here in 8-10 days, they said the delivery guys will drop the new set off, and take the old one with them.

I'll admit, its a tad annoying watching some shows, but as long as Vizio comes thru, +1 to them, made this exchange painless (for now!). Much better than waiting for a tech to come out, to say "yep, it's broken"

Just not sure if they will send a 552 out - only as its OOS on their website, but they said to call in a few days for tracking, etc!
post #4955 of 4991 Old 07-31-2011, 11:31 PM

Well, my 19 month old SV421XVT LCD HDTV just bit the dust today. Up until now, it's been pretty much a flawless performer.

We had Meet the Press on this morning and after about 30 to 45 minutes, the HD picture quality took a major dump, with super graininess, distortion, pixelation up the wazoo, and generally weird colors.

I turned off my 421 and Dish HD DVR satellite box. I checked all connections & cables to/from my 421. I then reset the 421 picture quality to factory default settings. I then swapped in new HDMI cables. Finally, I played a Blu-Ray in my BD70V player. Unfortunately, none of the above did anything to improve the extremely low definition and distorted image quality seen on my 421 (although the process eliminated everything else and directly implicated my 421).

Interestingly, we find that if we leave the 421 off for about an hour and then turn it back on, the HD picture quality comes right back. However, about 1/2 hour later, the picture quality takes a dump again. So, whatever it is, it appears to be heat dependent. Additionally, anything in black & white (like movie credits), are crystal clear.

Luckily, we have a 4-year warranty through Square Trade, so I have initiated a claim. Trouble is, we live out in the middle of nowhere, so it likely means that we have a very long drive ahead of us to a distant repair center or a pricy shipping bill.
post #4956 of 4991 Old 09-16-2011, 07:07 AM

Liked: 12
Anyone get the new firmware update? My internet went down while it was trying to pull the update and I never got it. Interesting though... this was the first time I've seen a message on the screen about a new firmware.

Does Vizio ever release what the firmware is actually fixing?
post #4957 of 4991 Old 09-16-2011, 08:16 AM

I have not seen any notice of an update yet. What is your new firmware number, please?
post #4958 of 4991 Old 09-16-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzvvv View Post

I have not seen any notice of an update yet. What is your new firmware number, please?

Well, it never downloaded the firmware due to lost internet connection but I had written down the number on the screen. Msg said it was downloading MP-CFE-SF0713. I wonder when my tv will try to get the update again.

I've looked on some of the newer Vizio tv threads and people are reporting they've received an update.
post #4959 of 4991 Old 09-16-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

I wish there were a way to turn off automatic updates, apart from disconnecting from the internet. My 552 is working perfectly. I really don't want my tv to update. I need it connected to the internet so I can stream Netflix. This was my one gripe about Vizio. You should always have an option to update or not. I never liked these rolling updates.

Completely agree but.... I still see imperfections in the picture that need to be fixed from the last firmware. These problems I still see are from 'blinds' effect, fire, scrolling text (espn). I find that none of those things are perfected yet.
post #4960 of 4991 Old 09-20-2011, 08:26 AM

I just got an update thus morning. the version is the same, so I am assuming (didn't check) that the widget sever/code got updated.
post #4961 of 4991 Old 09-20-2011, 12:33 PM

Hello,

New to the forums. I got the XVT473sv a couple of months back, and as most people on here, the tv is connected via WiFi. I turned the TV on this morning and it said that it was doing a firmware update and it will restart. But of course it didn't. I waited and waited, but the Vizio light just blinks from amber/white for a while, and then just stops trying. I tried holding the power button down for 30 seconds and keeping it unplugged, but got the same result. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Cheers,
post #4962 of 4991 Old 09-22-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all,

I just noticed that the MEDIA button on my VUR8 remote for my SV471XVT doesn't seem to work properly: if I have a USB flash drive attached, pressing the MEDIA button should generate a prompt on the screen asking me if I want to view any multimedia content on the USB flash drive... Instead I get a change of the picture mode (STANDARD, CUSTOM, MOVIE, etc) with each button press.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

BMW: Happiness is the next curve.
post #4963 of 4991 Old 02-27-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

Re-post

I feel for you lokilarry. A $2000 paper weight is no fun, although I don't notice jerky motion. I feel very mixed about Vizio and this particular VF552XVT model. I had a XVT470 and liked it so I wanted to get the VF552XVT when it came out. By the way, my original 47' is still cooking just fine after about 6 years. I bought the VF552XVT as part of some VIP program and was pretty excited since I liked my 47" and at the time the VF552XVT sets were just coming out. Side note; I received a blu-ray player and High Def sound bar and sub woofer for filling out a series of six reviews. Funny thing is I'm looking to my left here in my office and the High Def Soundbar and wireless woofer is boxed -- I still haven't opened it. Geezz - What a promotion!

Anyway, I started having issues not too long before my warranty was about to expire on my VF552XVT. It was an 8" circular area on the screen that was always black. It was annoying and quite noticeable on a white background.

Then, when I contacted technical support they wanted a set of pictures to show the defect. Well, every time I took a picture there was glare or some other problem they saw so I was asked to repeat the picture. Hey, the room is dark, I'm not a liar, and I'm not a professional photographer. Needless to say, I was getting annoyed feeling like I was getting the run around, and I was in a bad mood anyway as I was leaving town for a major surgery. After more tries than I can remember sending photos back and forth I just wanted to invite somebody from Vizio over for popcorn and a movie. They would see the defect before Andy Dufresne was arrested for murder in The Shawshank Redemption. I eventually had a good idea and contacted the guy I bought the TV from during the VIP program who took care of me nicely without a hassle. I had a replacement TV shipped out and I got a four year warranty-- which I HATED TO DO, on the TV but I was worried I'd end up with a $2,000 paper weight in a month. Like I said, I feel for you man.

I can't say my experience with Vizio's technical support was anything but a frustration and an absolute total waste of time!! On the other hand the replacement TV has been working fine and the original guy I bought it from supported me well. Still, I'm usually not a repeat buyer from a manufacturer if I feel they requires an extended warranty -- and especially after such a terrible and total lack of technical support. I definitely can say I'm not a loyal Vizio customer but both my 47XVT and VF552XVT replacement set seem to be chugging along -- if of course I haven't just jinxed myself. I guess I need to knock on some wood.
post #4964 of 4991 Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 AM

Finally decided to give this one a shot. I had fallen in love with the PQ of the LG LE8500 last year, and looked at a xvt473sv which seemed pretty close in PQ to the LG.

However, with the 553, I am not seeing the clarity that I saw in the LG or the 473. Any explanations on this? Do smaller TVs give greater clarity?

I am just not seeing the dynamic range of detail in contrast. Images look either brutally contrasty (vivid) or dull in movie mode. I have tried several calibration settings that I found on this site and Cnet's as well and have played with the settings, but I am just not awed by the PQ on this set. Clarity and sharpness varies to scene to scene in the same movie.

Would love any help, as I really want to love this TV.
post #4965 of 4991 Old 03-05-2012, 10:56 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I can't say my experience with Vizio's technical support was anything but a frustration and an absolute total waste of time!

Ain't THAT the truth! Their Facebook page today says their customer service department just won an award too, but come to think of it I've contacted a few electronics companies in the past few years and most were incredibly inept- Pioneer had the only people who sounded like they actually had an idea how their stuff worked.
post #4966 of 4991 Old 03-21-2012, 03:49 PM

Just yesterday my Vizio has started experiencing a significant problem anytime I access the Vizio on screen menu or use the Vizio remote.

Example using the volume control (but it could be any function)

1) Power cycles, Screen goes black for 10 seconds
2) Get "retrieving data" message
3) picture\\sound return to normal

Tested:

* Fail: Tried a different remote, same results

Pass: manual control buttons on Vizio function normally
* Fail: Disconnected Power for more 30 second, same results
* Fail: Disconnected all video inputs (only 1 HDMI in use), same results Addition problems:

When using remote(s), unable to get Vizio's on screen config menu to stay on screen. Menu stays on screen for 1-2 second, then the Vizio's power cycles.

Is there a way to do full hardware reset, restoring defaults, etc?
post #4967 of 4991 Old 03-22-2012, 06:40 AM

Here is a page that has a few "back doors" that might work:

http://www.factory-reset.com/wiki/Vizio_Service_Menu

Haven't tried any of them, but what have you to lose?

Good Luck!

Big Jim
post #4968 of 4991 Old 03-23-2012, 12:52 PM

thanks Big Jim.

It turns out I did not need to use that because the problem has mysteriously gone away. My best guess right now is that I had another monitor setting too close, or at odd angle that there was some interference between the two. The problem went away after I slightly moved the second monitor so that it was 2-3 inches further apart.
post #4969 of 4991 Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 PM

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and was hoping to get some help from someone that might have seen this problem before.

My Vizio VF552XVT started acting up recently and was wondering if anybody could give me some insight on how to fix it.
I took a video of it and posted it on Youtube, watch?v=mUeOD9f2Fg0

I know the link doesn't work but you should be able to figure out what to do with what I've given.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
post #4970 of 4991 Old 04-05-2012, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ-7 Shadow View Post

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and was hoping to get some help from someone that might have seen this problem before.

My Vizio VF552XVT started acting up recently and was wondering if anybody could give me some insight on how to fix it.
I took a video of it and posted it on Youtube, watch?v=mUeOD9f2Fg0

I know the link doesn't work but you should be able to figure out what to do with what I've given.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I know it sounds simple, but did you try unplugging the set for a little while. That's the first thing I do if something isn't right on any of my Vizios. I also have a Gateway monitor that the backlight went completely out, unplugging it for 1/2 hour and it came back.

Just a thought.
post #4971 of 4991 Old 04-05-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

I know it sounds simple, but did you try unplugging the set for a little while. That's the first thing I do if something isn't right on any of my Vizios. I also have a Gateway monitor that the backlight went completely out, unplugging it for 1/2 hour and it came back.

Just a thought.

I wish it was that simple. I've left it unplugged for days at a time with no change. It seems like the back light is working because you can see what appears to be shadows moving around.

My first guess would be the picture board but I'm not sure which of the 3 or 4 boards that would be.
post #4972 of 4991 Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wish it was that simple. I've left it unplugged for days at a time with no change. It seems like the back light is working because you can see what appears to be shadows moving around.

My first guess would be the picture board but I'm not sure which of the 3 or 4 boards that would be.

I think that set had the audio as a seperate board, which is one of the smaller ones, the other is the power board, the one with the HDMI, etc inputs would be the video board I believe. I know that's what it is one the 553 and 554 which has only 2 boards in it. The audio is now part of the main board. There is a small 3rd board if you want to call it that for the LED control.

Do a search on the board part number, it should describe what it is. That's what I did with my 52" when the audio board went bad, got a new (used) one for 12 bucks on Ebay. Works great now.
post #4973 of 4991 Old 05-06-2012, 01:12 PM

So, which one of these boards would be the most likely culprit?

post #4974 of 4991 Old 05-06-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Where are the speakers? Try and trace the wires from the speakers back to a board. Is the bottom right board the one with the inputs on it? The long one on the left looks like it's for the backlight.

You might be able to find a description of the boards by searching with the part number on this site.

http://vizparts.com/index.php
post #4975 of 4991 Old 05-06-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Where are the speakers? Try and trace the wires from the speakers back to a board. Is the bottom right board the one with the inputs on it? The long one on the left looks like it's for the backlight.

You might be able to find a description of the boards by searching with the part number on this site.

http://vizparts.com/index.php

The one on the right is the main board.
The one on the left is the backlight inverter and the one on the top is the TV controller board according to Ebay descriptions.

I'm not sure whether to replace the TV controller board or the main board.

Link to Youtube video of the problem I'm having
post #4976 of 4991 Old 05-07-2012, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The one on the right is the main board.
The one on the left is the backlight inverter and the one on the top is the TV controller board according to Ebay descriptions.

I'm not sure whether to replace the TV controller board or the main board.

Link to Youtube video of the problem I'm having

I'm having service on my 554 tomorrow. I'll print out your pic and ask the tech.

After watching your video, to me it looks like it has to be the main board. Your not getting a picture or sound, is that correct? Does it do the same thing on all inputs? Your backlight comes on so it can't be that.

Does the 552 have a Vizio intro screen? I didn't even see that light up. I'm trying to figure out what to tell the tech when he comes. From what I can tell, the TV turns on, the backlight comes on but that's it. No welcome screen, no picture or sound is that correct?
post #4977 of 4991 Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 AM

My 552 displays a 'V' picture intro screen.
post #4978 of 4991 Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 AM

I have sound. No picture, only shadows.
post #4979 of 4991 Old 05-08-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have sound. No picture, only shadows.

The tech just left, replace all the boards in my set so I'll see what happens

As far as your problem he said it sounded like the main board causing the problem. The board with all the inputs on it.
post #4980 of 4991 Old 05-08-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:

The tech just left, replace all the boards in my set so I'll see what happens

As far as your problem he said it sounded like the main board causing the problem. The board with all the inputs on it.

That's good to hear, I ordered a main board from Vizparts yesterday.
Should be here on the 12th.

Then, it's just a matter of finding the time to swap them out.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page