2009 Vizio XVT Series: 240Hz, USB input, LED backlight [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 4991 Old 05-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Member
 
slimfranny81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not trolling, giving my personal opinion that's all. If you guys had anything else better to do than complain about people's opinions, then you wouldn't consider this trolling.
slimfranny81 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 4991 Old 05-28-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
boswd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKL View Post

I can't agree more.

I think the point is, the look of the TV at walmart, circuit city or any other reatil store is definitely NOT calibrated.

So there are 2 possibilities:
1. The Samsung or Sonys are indeed better than the Vizios, or;
2. The default settings of the former makes them look better.

If you read the specificiations from Energy Star (EPA), you can tell there is a "Retail mode" that sets the brightness high and makes the picture jumps out at you. If you see things look unnatural (people's skin-tone are too red or pale, the picture too bright, or the sky is way too blue) then probably something's done on the default setting.

Now I'm not sure which brand has the retail mode and which one doesn't, my point is: ask the staff in the store for a remote so you can do some calibration and make sure you're comparing apples to apples.


You hit the nail on the head, Vizio's default settings do not even come close to Sony or Samsung's and Vizio should really look into changing that. They are on Vivid, Color Temp- Cool and and adaptive luma and enhanched contrast ratio both on strong, it doesn't look bad but compared to the default settings of Sony or Samsung, it lacks and it looks dimmer. You play around a bit with the Vizio and it becomes a a nice looking picture.
boswd is offline  
post #543 of 4991 Old 05-28-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
boswd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimfranny81 View Post

Not trolling, giving my personal opinion that's all. If you guys had anything else better to do than complain about people's opinions, then you wouldn't consider this trolling.


if it's an open thread asking for opinions then sure, but when someone has a specific model thread and people jump in on it just to say Vizio "sucks" well then that is trolling.

The same would be said if someone jumped into a Samsung specific model thread and said, Samsung horrible buy a Sony. That too would be trolling. But if it was a thread that said, Can't decide between Samsung or Sony then it would not be trolling by saying Samsung is horrible buy the Sony.
boswd is offline  
post #544 of 4991 Old 05-28-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cawgijoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 2,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

if it's an open thread asking for opinions then sure, but when someone has a specific model thread and people jump in on it just to say Vizio "sucks" well then that is trolling.

The same would be said if someone jumped into a Samsung specific model thread and said, Samsung horrible buy a Sony. That too would be trolling. But if it was a thread that said, Can't decide between Samsung or Sony then it would not be trolling by saying Samsung is horrible buy the Sony.

I agree. However, I try and ignore the brand bias with no backup or logic in the comments. The "this brand sucks" adds no value.

Vizio makes a good value tv set and that is their current business model. The biggest bang for the buck. I don't see anything wrong with that. As far as I know, they aren't trying to fool anyone.

Vizio's CEO, William Wang has stated that in the future Vizio would like to be the next Sony so maybe their business mdel will change in the future.
cawgijoe is offline  
post #545 of 4991 Old 05-28-2009, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
boswd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

I agree. However, I try and ignore the brand bias with no backup or logic in the comments. The "this brand sucks" adds no value.

Vizio makes a good value tv set and that is their current business model. The biggest bang for the buck. I don't see anything wrong with that. As far as I know, they aren't trying to fool anyone.

Vizio's CEO, William Wang has stated that in the future Vizio would like to be the next Sony so maybe their business mdel will change in the future.


I don't know if i would change the business model. As someone who works in Finance and I took Marketing in College, Vizio's model is very interesting and if they do remain succesful, it very well could be taught in alot of college's, just as Walmart's business model is studied.

I mean to come into this type of market and in less than 6 years of existance being one of the top 3 selling brands, when the market is flooded with budget brands and to crack the top 3 quarter in and quarter out for the past 3 years, especially when brand recognizition is huge, is a remarkable feat. And on top of that only being available in the US and only at select stores. Though I do believe they are starting to increase their brand awareness in Canada. But to be one of the top 3 and not have the same distribution outles that the other top two enjoy is a remarkable feat.
I'm certainly am impressed.
boswd is offline  
post #546 of 4991 Old 05-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Newbie
 
triclops41's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so it appears that vizio is still using ips panels, which are supposed to be good for off axis viewing. but all the current led lcd tv reviews i have seen from others have had very poor off axis viewing. anyone know how good these new led lcd tvs will look off axis? any previews that you guys have seen from someone who actually saw them?
Thanks
triclops41 is offline  
post #547 of 4991 Old 05-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Member
 
smaybee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimfranny81 View Post

Yet the Vizios will crap out in 6 month.

J/P

I see that Consumer Reports does not agree with you. Always good to have some hard data rather than just opinion;-)

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...e-one-too.html
smaybee is offline  
post #548 of 4991 Old 05-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Member
 
slimfranny81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaybee View Post

I see that Consumer Reports does not agree with you. Always good to have some hard data rather than just opinion;-)

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...e-one-too.html

I also see that you said "consumer report", meaning us as a consumer. So the people on consumer report isnt any different than msyself. So you pretty much almost contradicted yourself, seeing we are all consumers making an opinion.
slimfranny81 is offline  
post #549 of 4991 Old 05-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Senior Member
 
fvbounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Alameda, Ca
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 3 vizio's for 3 years now and all are still working fine, 20 inch in the kitchen, 32 inch in the bedroom, 37 inch that I just gave to my bother-in-law in my office, I also have a 46 inch JVC 1080P that is 3 years old in the front room, the JVC is by far a better TV, but it cost me $3000, the Vizio's I have been very good without any problems....Just my 2 cents...I'm looking at the Samsung 8000 or the new LG led Backlight to replace my JVC....
fvbounty is offline  
post #550 of 4991 Old 05-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Member
 
slimfranny81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

I don't know if i would change the business model. As someone who works in Finance and I took Marketing in College, Vizio's model is very interesting and if they do remain succesful, it very well could be taught in alot of college's, just as Walmart's business model is studied.

I mean to come into this type of market and in less than 6 years of existance being one of the top 3 selling brands, when the market is flooded with budget brands and to crack the top 3 quarter in and quarter out for the past 3 years, especially when brand recognizition is huge, is a remarkable feat. And on top of that only being available in the US and only at select stores. Though I do believe they are starting to increase their brand awareness in Canada. But to be one of the top 3 and not have the same distribution outles that the other top two enjoy is a remarkable feat.
I'm certainly am impressed.

Ok now were talking about quantity isntead of quality. You said Vizios are top 3 selling brands, but are they a top 3 quality brand. Vizios are cheap, it is affordable for a lot of TV consumers. For example, a number 1 selling movie on the weekend, but that doesnt meant its the best movie out. Just means a lot of people paid to watched that movie. You get what I'm saying?

Everything you guys say are personal opinions, whether by you or CONSUMER(PEOPLE) REPORTS.
slimfranny81 is offline  
post #551 of 4991 Old 05-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Member
 
slimfranny81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by triclops41 View Post

Don't feed trolls! They are like bogeymen, ignore them, and they disappear.
Feel free to reply to my post however.

Boogeyman?! what are you 12?
slimfranny81 is offline  
post #552 of 4991 Old 05-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Newbie
 
triclops41's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Scott wilkinson got to see one of these last week and said they were great. Unfortunately he left out viewing angle in his report on Leo lapprtes show. So does anyone know about this?
triclops41 is offline  
post #553 of 4991 Old 05-28-2009, 06:36 PM
MKL
Senior Member
 
MKL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by triclops41 View Post

Scott wilkinson got to see one of these last week and said they were great. Unfortunately he left out viewing angle in his report on Leo lapprtes show. So does anyone know about this?

If it has the IPS panel like the VF550 then it's gonna do 178 degrees. :O I can't wait!
MKL is offline  
post #554 of 4991 Old 05-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Member
 
c0re's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just saved hundred's of dollars on my new Vizio VO37LF by not switching to a higher end brand. picture is very impressive, tons of inputs and great sound too. i'm so glad, i didn't spend the extra $$ on sony or samsung.
c0re is offline  
post #555 of 4991 Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
boswd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimfranny81 View Post

Ok now were talking about quantity isntead of quality. You said Vizios are top 3 selling brands, but are they a top 3 quality brand. Vizios are cheap, it is affordable for a lot of TV consumers. For example, a number 1 selling movie on the weekend, but that doesnt meant its the best movie out. Just means a lot of people paid to watched that movie. You get what I'm saying?

Everything you guys say are personal opinions, whether by you or CONSUMER(PEOPLE) REPORTS.



ok first off Consumer Reports test are done by their people, you are aware of this right? Also Cnet, which is one the most respected prof. reviewers like quite a few of the Vizio's.

Secondly I was talking of their marketing plan and being able to garnish the market share they have has ALOT more to do than just their price point. If that were the case why isn't Westinghouse , Olevia, Sanyo, Sceptre, RCA, Sylvania etc. at the top.


And thirdly, you are trolling televisions. televisions. Did you ever stop for second and think how weird that is. You are trolling............ televisions.
boswd is offline  
post #556 of 4991 Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Member
 
kyrosnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy a 42" LCD in within the next 5-6 weeks. Should I wait for this new model or just go get a 42" 120hz from costco?
kyrosnick is offline  
post #557 of 4991 Old 05-29-2009, 04:03 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Please stop the bickering. Some cleanup done.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #558 of 4991 Old 05-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Member
 
Troub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question for you Costco shoppers. I plan on saving to purchase this model from Costco here in town when the tv will become available now I would like to use my Visa or Mastercard (which on there website states they accept) but while shopping for some groceries last week the store here in town told me they only accept American Express? Has anyone purchased a TV from them in store with a credit card other than American Express? Thank you in advance and it seems weird to me they would limit themselves by accepting only AE.
Troub is offline  
post #559 of 4991 Old 05-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Member
 
orangegrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego County
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troub View Post

I have a question for you Costco shoppers. I plan on saving to purchase this model from Costco here in town when the tv will become available now I would like to use my Visa or Mastercard (which on there website states they accept) but while shopping for some groceries last week the store here in town told me they only accept American Express? Has anyone purchased a TV from them in store with a credit card other than American Express? Thank you in advance and it seems weird to me they would limit themselves by accepting only AE.

They only accept American Express in the store. Using the American Express in the store also gives you an extra year on the warranty.

If it fits through the door it is not too big.
orangegrower is offline  
post #560 of 4991 Old 05-29-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NVboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangegrower View Post

They only accept American Express in the store. Using the American Express in the store also gives you an extra year on the warranty.

They used to also accept Discover, but I don't know if they still do. I use my Visa debit card for all purchases-it pulls straight from my bank account, but it offers the same protection as if I had used a plain Visa.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NVboy is offline  
post #561 of 4991 Old 05-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Member
 
dhhd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
was gonna bite, but will pass because of the hdmi 1.4 coming out.

so I am hoping the connected 55 incher coming in the 4th quarter of 2009 will have that
dhhd89 is offline  
post #562 of 4991 Old 05-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Senior Member
 
seplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrosnick View Post

I'm looking to buy a 42" LCD in within the next 5-6 weeks. Should I wait for this new model or just go get a 42" 120hz from costco?

I picked up a refurbed 42" 120Hz Vizio for around $700 for our bedroom, and I couldn't be happier. A little basic calibration and this baby looks awesome!
seplant is offline  
post #563 of 4991 Old 05-29-2009, 05:23 PM
MKL
Senior Member
 
MKL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by triclops41 View Post

Scott wilkinson got to see one of these last week and said they were great. Unfortunately he left out viewing angle in his report on Leo lapprtes show. So does anyone know about this?

Here's the update:

Scott Wilkinson's blog:
http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/scottwilkinson/

He said the Vizio would be IPS (i.e. great contrast/viewing angle)
MKL is offline  
post #564 of 4991 Old 05-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
 
fvbounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Alameda, Ca
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKL View Post

Here's the update:

Scott Wilkinson's blog:
http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/scottwilkinson/

He said the Vizio would be IPS (i.e. great contrast/viewing angle)

Thanks for the link, he was pretty impressed with it and he's a plasma guy! Still not perfect but for the price very nice, hope Vizio takes some of his suggestions!
fvbounty is offline  
post #565 of 4991 Old 05-29-2009, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
boswd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What I like about that blog is Vizio is getting serious about putting out a top of the line product that can compete with the Samsung's and Sony's top of the line. Will it be able to? well that will be decided later on and I have some doubts but which is a big but, if they are able to get close then that is awesome and it's a winner. People, especially the average Joe would look and think is the Sammy worth that extra $500 plus and if Vizio comes comes close then the answer is NO. It's not worth it.

I like how they invited him in for his criticism and advice. That show's alot.

also I love how all these "know it alls" who keep putting Vizio down, saying they don't have Engineer's or research teams etc know absolutley nothing of what they are talking about. LOL

Plus an IPS Panal, that is awesome.
boswd is offline  
post #566 of 4991 Old 05-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Member
 
orangegrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego County
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Scott Wilkinson's blog states that the VF551XVT is coming out in early September!!!!!!!!!

If it fits through the door it is not too big.
orangegrower is offline  
post #567 of 4991 Old 05-29-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BFJ 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23


Not bad @ all...
BFJ 96 is online now  
post #568 of 4991 Old 05-29-2009, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NVboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post



Not bad @ all...

And that's the calibrated 950 on the right. They could be onto something. By the time September rolls around, both the Toshiba & LG LED sets will have been on the market for a few months, which should give us a good idea of what to expect or not to expect with the Vizio.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NVboy is offline  
post #569 of 4991 Old 05-29-2009, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
boswd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post



Not bad @ all...


The Vizio looks a little more rich, I think it looks better
boswd is offline  
post #570 of 4991 Old 05-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Member
 
cougar99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where were those photo's from?
cougar99 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off