2009 Vizio XVT Series: 240Hz, USB input, LED backlight [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2009, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do you have any games you could test that require more precise input? Stuff like Guitar Hero & Rock Band works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 12:58 PM

Liked: 10
Hey guys, I have the older model. I got it Right after 2008 christmas. I still have the box and foam/packaging as well as the clear wrapping on the tv and the remote. I bought the tv from costco. Do you know if costco will let me exchange the tv for the newer model or let me exchange for the tv if I have a complaint?

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42xvt View Post

Hey guys, I have the older model. I got it Right after 2008 christmas. I still have the box and foam/packaging as well as the clear wrapping on the tv and the remote. I bought the tv from costco. Do you know if costco will let me exchange the tv for the newer model or let me exchange for the tv if I have a complaint?

Thanks.

return on tv's is now limited to 90 days at costco because people were using their previous unlimited return window as a perpetual upgrade service

iirc afaik fwiw imo
Old 07-05-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc View Post

return on tv's is now limited to 90 days at costco because people were using their previous unlimited return window as a perpetual upgrade service

Ah, I see. Thanks for the information.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:57 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r View Post

Do you have any games you could test that require more precise input? Stuff like Guitar Hero & Rock Band works great.

I don't own the games you mentioned. I did tryout madden 2009 as well as Call of Duty IV and Socom and the gameplay was fine.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:02 PM

I'm having trouble deciding if i should go with the vizio 551 xvt with the LED backlighting or the 58" samsung plasma at sams.....they're the same price......thanks in advance for the opinions.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwave1 View Post

I'm having trouble deciding if i should go with the vizio 551 xvt with the LED backlighting or the 58" samsung plasma at sams.....they're the same price......thanks in advance for the opinions.

Same price? The Vizio 551 won't hit the stores until September. If Sam's has a 55" Vizio, it's the 550 (i.e. the soon-to-be-replaced model). The 551 is projected to be $2199, but that could change.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflguy View Post

As for the 240hz(it's 120hz with special backlighting so they call it 240hz). So far I think it's a gimmick. My opinion might change though If I can find some suggested settings online since perhaps different settings would allow the 240hz to make a difference.

Interesting:

To reduce blurring, most 120Hz LCD displays use a system called MEMC (motion estimation and motion compensation) to slip in a new frame between each of the original frames. The end result is one extra frame for every true frame.

You'd think, then, that a 240Hz TV would just double up to achieve an even more blur-free picture. Alas, it's a little more complicated than that. The problem is there are actually two different types of 240Hz, including one that doesn't bill itself as true 240Hz but rather as a "240 effect." Here's a breakdown of the two versions and which companies employ them.

MEMC (motion estimation-motion compensation): Both Sony and Samsung 240Hz sets use MEMC to basically double the 120Hz process described above. However, instead of getting one extra frame for each "true" frame, you actually get three extra frames. (See reviews of the Sony KDL-52XBR7, the Sony KDL-XBR9 series and the Samsung LNB750 series).

Scanning backlight (240 effect): LG, Toshiba, and Vizio use what's called "scanning backlight" technology. Such TVs use MEMC once to get to 120Hz, but instead of doubling the interpolation, a backlight flashes on and off very quickly to achieve what Toshiba calls a "240Hz effect." LG, for its part, fails to make that distinction and uses the 240Hz term without qualification to describe its scanning-backlight models.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-10243372-82.html
Old 07-05-2009, 06:52 PM

240hz:

The picture quality on my 240hz Vizio was nearly indistinguishable from the 60hz Samsung. We picked the Vizio mainly because it was a larger screen size. Again, i have not calibrated my tv so hopefully 240hz makes a huge difference and I just can't see it yet.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

Scanning backlight (240 effect): LG, Toshiba, and Vizio use what's called "scanning backlight" technology. Such TVs use MEMC once to get to 120Hz, but instead of doubling the interpolation, a backlight flashes on and off very quickly to achieve what Toshiba calls a "240Hz effect." LG, for its part, fails to make that distinction and uses the 240Hz term without qualification to describe its scanning-backlight models.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-10243372-82.html

The Samsung A950 and the Sony XBR8 also offer scanning backlight in conjunction with their 120 Hz modes but these companies don't claim that these sets are "240 Hz" capable.
Guess other companies can be even more ruthless than these two...

bye
Benny42

bye
Benny
Old 07-06-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhhd89 View Post

Mr. Noyd

any word on hdmi 1.4 ? And if the usb drives is the 3.0 ones ?

Also since this unit has the sound bar connected, is it lasts years model ? Or is it the one in the vsb210ws ?

Also will the wireless subwoofer be available ?

Also what is the chance vizio makes a tv with built in simulated 7.1 ?

I am waiting for a vizio with hdmi 1.4 + usb 3.0 + built in simulated 7.1 sound with subwoofer

any ideas ?

I am going to keep asking until answered by VIZIO
Old 07-06-2009, 01:48 PM

I just bought the sv470xvt 3 days ago, right before the 471 came out.I am not that impressed with the black level,always seems to bright no matter what I try,and I do not like the small viewing angle.I can return and get the sv471xvt but I have to pay a $150 restocking fee,think that it is worth it?
Old 07-06-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman50 View Post

I just bought the sv470xvt 3 days ago, right before the 471 came out.I am not that impressed with the black level,always seems to bright no matter what I try,and I do not like the small viewing angle.I can return and get the sv471xvt but I have to pay a $150 restocking fee,think that it is worth it?

Where did you buy the tv? Costco and Walmart (where vizio is usually found) don't charge restocking fees.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny42 View Post

The Samsung A950 and the Sony XBR8 also offer scanning backlight in conjunction with their 120 Hz modes but these companies don't claim that these sets are "240 Hz" capable.
Guess other companies can be even more ruthless than these two...

bye
Benny42

Of course not. Those were last year's model. Nobody had 240hz back then.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiga6360 View Post

In Europe Sony sells the Z4500 model with 200 Hz (4 x 50 Hz instead of 4 x 60 Hz) since 2008.

bye
Benny42

bye
Benny
Old 07-07-2009, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiga6360 View Post

and in north america, sony had (has) the 2008 52xbr7, the first 240Hz set (along with the euro models) from any manufacturer.

but you're both right, there wasn't the competitive buzz to highlight the ersatz scanning 240Hz AND since sony had the real thing there was no real incentive for them to push that feature on the xbr8 since it the set had so much more going for it

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
Old 07-07-2009, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Are you saying the way scanning backlight works on the xbr8 is essentially the same as on the LG, Vizio and Toshiba to produce the 240hz effect?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 AM

I have run into a problem with the 421xvt.

Every now and then the picture will suddenly get darker. It's like switching picture mode from movie to standard or something. It happens quick and sometimes hard to notice. I had to rewind my dvr to be sure it was happening. It never happens in bright scenes though. It mostly happens in low light scenes. I watched a standup comedien show where there was alot of black on the screen with him well lit in the middle. The tv seemed to struggle with this and would raise or lower the brightness (or maybe it was backlight?) every few seconds. I also watched a reality show that was filmed outside in the evening (but wasn't dark yet) and it seemed to struggle with that too.

Btw: I have turned off all the auto features like adaptive lumina etc. I tried turning them on to see if it made a difference but it didn't.

I
Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Where did you buy the tv? Costco and Walmart (where vizio is usually found) don't charge restocking fees.

I bought the tv from Dell,and if I keep it they said they would take 10% off for me.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:36 PM
MKL

Quote:

I have run into a problem with the 421xvt.

Every now and then the picture will suddenly get darker. It's like switching picture mode from movie to standard or something. It happens quick and sometimes hard to notice. I had to rewind my dvr to be sure it was happening. It never happens in bright scenes though. It mostly happens in low light scenes. I watched a standup comedien show where there was alot of black on the screen with him well lit in the middle. The tv seemed to struggle with this and would raise or lower the brightness (or maybe it was backlight?) every few seconds. I also watched a reality show that was filmed outside in the evening (but wasn't dark yet) and it seemed to struggle with that too.

Btw: I have turned off all the auto features like adaptive lumina etc. I tried turning them on to see if it made a difference but it didn't.

I

Sounds more like dynamic backlight control, DCR or some sort of stuffs - changing the backlight according to the average brightness of the image.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:03 PM

So what is the verdict on picture quality,black level and new motion 2 engine,on the 42 or 47 inch?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:28 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 735
OK, so I returned my older model (SV420xvt) that I had for 60 days because the sound was cutting out and I had to either change channels or change inputs to get the HDMI sound connection to work properly. Not sure if it was the TV or DirecTV box but the Costco return policy was the path of least resistance to attempt to resolve the problem.

I picked up the SV42XVT.

Initial impressions:

First, it does not ship with an HDMI cable which the other had. Not a big deal I had one laying around.

Second is the TruSurround HD sound seams lacking. I had to turn it off because it sounded thin (less bottom) and much quieter than the older model.

As for picture quality this is my wife's day time TV and It looks OK to me. Don't expect me to do a calibration or run any tests.

Overall conclusion if something interesting comes out in the next 90 days it may go back.

I'm going to call the help line and ask about the audio. UPDATE: I called Vizio twice and both times got disconnected while on hold after talking to a tech who was clueless. First time they couldn't find the serial number in their system after checking it 3 times. Second time after requesting to talk to a second tier technical support and was on hold. Then I called Costco Concierge service who didn't have any real helpful information.

My bottom line conclusion after listening some more with the TruSurround HD turned on and off is that this is the first TV that I've experienced where engaging the virtual surround sound circuitry to tweak the sound for more of a virtual surround effect actually sounds worse than the normal sound. I suspect it is a firmware issue and there will not be any firmware fixes forthcoming.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

UPDATE: I called Vizio twice and both times got disconnected while on hold after talking to a tech who was clueless. First time they couldn't find the serial number in their system after checking it 3 times. Second time after requesting to talk to a second tier technical support and was on hold. Then I called Costco Concierge service who didn't have any real helpful information.

My bottom line conclusion after listening some more with the TruSurround HD turned on and off is that this is the first TV that I've experienced where engaging the virtual surround sound circuitry to tweak the sound for more of a virtual surround effect actually sounds worse than the normal sound. I suspect it is a firmware issue and there will not be any firmware fixes forthcoming.

I recently had to call Vizio CS about an audio issue I started having with my 550 and was less than pleased by the end of the phone call.
The issue Im having was not resolved and I was told their will not be a firmware fix for me.

And yea, the TruSurroundHD,, it sure dont sound as good as it says it does on the side of my Vizio box or on the Vizio website.

Cheers
Davyo
Old 07-14-2009, 01:58 PM

What's the input switching speed on these Vizios? Can you flip through inputs fairly quickly, especially the HDMI inputs, or is there a lag of a few seconds?

Old 07-14-2009, 06:58 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

I recently had to call Vizio CS about an audio issue I started having with my 550

on the 420 that went back I had the audio dropping out. If I changed inputs from HDMI 1 to 2 and then back it would resolve the issue until the next time it went out. Changing channels on the satellite box to the adjacent channel and then back worked too.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhhd89 View Post

I am going to keep asking until answered by VIZIO

Mr. Noyd

any word on hdmi 1.4 ? And if the usb drives is the 3.0 ones ?

Also since this unit has the sound bar connected, is it lasts years model ? Or is it the one in the vsb210ws ?

Also will the wireless subwoofer be available ?

Also what is the chance vizio makes a tv with built in simulated 7.1 ?

I am waiting for a vizio with hdmi 1.4 + usb 3.0 + built in simulated 7.1 sound with subwoofer

any ideas ?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The review of the new LH90 series by LG has me thinking it might be an alternative to the upcoming 55" Vizio 551. (this is a review of the 47", but the 55" should be the same, as it has the same specs)

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...rColumnArea1.1

The review says it has by far the best and most in-depth user-adjustable menus for color calibration. The criticisms they have, though, are:

The good:
Excellent black-level performance and shadow detail; accurate color thanks to extensive picture adjustments; matte screen handles bright lighting well; plenty of connectivity with four HDMI and one PC input.

The bad:
Relatively expensive; poor off-angle performance; some blooming; does not separate antiblur and dejudder processing; benefits of 240Hz difficult to discern; no interactive features; no S-Video inputs.

The bottom line:
Deep black levels and accurate color help propel the LED-backlit LG LH90 series into the front row of the LCD picture quality class.

...One big omission from the LG LH90's spec sheet is Internet-connected interactive capability, which is prominently featured on competing models from Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic for example. LG's only LCD models with that included interactive action is the LH50 series.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:07 AM

Why post a review for the LG LH90 in a thread devoted to the new 240hz VIZIO?????????
Old 07-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Why post a review for the LG LH90 in a thread devoted to the new 240hz VIZIO?????????

That's what i'd like to know too! Hey nflguy, how are you liking your new 240hz Vizio so far?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I like that msg.
To show that by the time Vizio finally delivers it will not be unique for that price with LED.
All about compare Vizio (or other monitors) to other models.