2009 Vizio XVT Series: 240Hz, USB input, LED backlight [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 4991 Old 08-08-2009, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Noyd View Post

here are VF551XVT or VF552XVT photos.

Visually, the VF551XVT and the VF552XVT will be identical?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4991 Old 08-09-2009, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Noyd View Post

here are VF551XVT or VF552XVT photos.

Thanks for posting those pics Jim,,,, and I must say (even though the speaker bar is still there) the 551/552 look much much nicer than the 550 that I own.

I would even go so far as to say the 551/552 are kinda nice looking,,,, I could actually live with these displays and not even bitch about the speaker bar.

I dont suppose the speaker bar is detachable is it ???

Jim,, a panel design question/comment/suggestion all rolled into one.

It would seem like such as easy thing to add a subwofter output and rear speaker clips/jacks to a panel and I have often wondered why no panel makers add such simple features that could really help in the overall sound that comes from a flat screen.
Mistubishi has the built-in sound projector with a sub out on some of their LCD's.
The Pioneer Kuro's all have a sub output.
Other than those two brands I dont think any other panel maker include those type of features.
For people that dont wish to add a sound system, or dont have the room, or dont have the money, or live in an appartment with neighbors and thin walls it would seem to be a nice selling advantage for a flat panel.
Vizio already has the speaker bar vibe it wants to push, why not include a sub out and rear L/R speaker outs.
Ohhh well,, just a little design suggestion.

Cheers
Davyo
post #903 of 4991 Old 08-09-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I have a lower end Vizio and use the variable audio out jacks to feed a sub. The sub crossover is used to blend with the TV speakers. Works well for a 2.1 option in a room that doesn't accomodate a full 5.1 setup.

I found that adding the bottom end to the sound makes the TV's internal speakers sound pretty good, even for movies. The simulated surround option on the TV comes pretty close to a full speaker setup for ambient sounds.
post #904 of 4991 Old 08-09-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

I have a lower end Vizio and use the variable audio out jacks to feed a sub. The sub crossover is used to blend with the TV speakers. Works well for a 2.1 option in a room that doesn't accomodate a full 5.1 setup.

I found that adding the bottom end to the sound makes the TV's internal speakers sound pretty good, even for movies. The simulated surround option on the TV comes pretty close to a full speaker setup for ambient sounds.

That's a good alternative, but remember to check that the audio output is set to variable in the TV's set up menu and to set the crossover in the subwoofer.

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #905 of 4991 Old 08-09-2009, 09:21 AM

Jim we have a new dual band 802.11n router that I think would go great with the VF552XVT. I have been testing netflix and HDTV streaming over 5.8Ghz 802.11n and it works very well.

here is the engenius esr7550 what do you think?

keenansystems.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_31&products_id=295
post #906 of 4991 Old 08-09-2009, 09:35 AM

Liked: 12
I'm seriously considering this TV only if that speaker bar is detachable. If it doesn't detach, that's why men invented blow torches...
post #907 of 4991 Old 08-09-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanj View Post

Jim we have a new dual band 802.11n router that I think would go great with the VF552XVT. I have been testing netflix and HDTV streaming over 5.8Ghz 802.11n and it works very well.

here is the engenius esr7550 what do you think?

keenansystems.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_31&products_id=295

we wouldn't be the authority to comment on your wireless router.

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #908 of 4991 Old 08-10-2009, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Thats cool that you did that, I always wondered about that myself if feeding a sub via the RCA outs would work with my Vizio, or any panel for that matter.
I never got around to tring it and just picked up the CT-500 Sony soundbar so no need to do it now.
But thanks for posting that info, nice to know that it can work.

Cheers
Davyo
post #909 of 4991 Old 08-11-2009, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarat View Post

I'm seriously considering this TV only if that speaker bar is detachable. If it doesn't detach, that's why men invented blow torches...

I own the Vizio 550 (the one with the really big-ass ugly speakerbar) and I thought long and hard about using a hacksaw to cut off the bar,,, without the bar the 550 is actually a very nice looking panel.

Anyhow, the ONLY thing that kept from cutting it off with a hacksaw is I knew I would be selling it soon to get the Vizio LED or perhaps another brand of LED,,,,,, but if I knew I was going to keep the 550 long term I would have called Vizio tech support to make sure there were no important wires inside the bar and then I would have cut it off.

Luckily the new 551 Vizio is not an eyesore.

Cheers
Davyo
post #910 of 4991 Old 08-11-2009, 01:53 PM

Does anyone have any info on the Vizio vmt40-55 motorized wall mount that Costco is selling for $190?

As it is supposedly "universal", I am tempted to pick one up while waiting for the 551 led in case they sell out before the new model is released.

Thanks, in advance.
Philip
post #911 of 4991 Old 08-11-2009, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipB View Post

Does anyone have any info on the Vizio vmt40-55 motorized wall mount that Costco is selling for $190?

As it is supposedly "universal", I am tempted to pick one up while waiting for the 551 led in case they sell out before the new model is released.

Thanks, in advance.
Philip

send me a PM and I'll email a manual for it to you.

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #912 of 4991 Old 08-11-2009, 08:27 PM

Thanks Jim...I checked out the manual at Costco. What I would really like to know is does anyone have it, and, if so, what do they think about it.

Philip
post #913 of 4991 Old 08-12-2009, 04:34 AM
CCx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCx View Post

Does "September" for this set mean early, mid, late? I need a 55" for my new house but it has to be in very early September, will opt for the LG 55LH90 if this won't be out in time.

Also I'm sure I've read this, but this has a matte screen? Room it's going in has many windows.

Can anyone answer this? I know Jim responded with two pictures but that didn't help me - wondering if I should hold out for this set or just go buy the 55LH90 - would like a 55" with matte screen and appears so far the LG is my only choice unless this Vizio set has it too.
post #914 of 4991 Old 08-13-2009, 12:14 PM

I too am interested in finding out if these new LED models will be Matte.
Glossy is a deal breaker.
post #915 of 4991 Old 08-13-2009, 06:16 PM

Any word on how deep this set will be?
post #916 of 4991 Old 08-15-2009, 12:10 AM

Any word if the sound bar is detachable?
post #917 of 4991 Old 08-15-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmover View Post

Any word if the sound bar is detachable?

The current odds of the sound bar being detachable is set at only 4.3%.
post #918 of 4991 Old 08-16-2009, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

The current odds of the sound bar being detachable is set at only 4.3%.

My pick for the odds of the Vizio soundbar being detachable would be 0.00000%.

For me I have given up on hoping for the perfect "looking" panel, Vizio, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and all the other panel makers are guilty of not getting it right and not listening to what the consumer wants.

As far as I have been able to gather in life, and on this forum, what the vast majority of people want is:,,,,A matt black finish, a bezel thats as thin as possible, no chrome or blue lights and no glossy black.

In defense of Vizio I would say the new 551/552 is not a bad looking panel, worlds better looking than the 550,,,,,, a detachable speaker bar would be too much to hope for and given the track record of most panel makers it would seem no company wants to put out the perfect looking panel.

The BIG thing panel makers dont get about the outside look/design of their panels is, we buy their panels in spite of the way they look, not because of the way they look.

CHeers
Davyo
post #919 of 4991 Old 08-16-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by orateam View Post

I too am interested in finding out if these new LED models will be Matte.
Glossy is a deal breaker.

The pix that Jim linked sure look glossy to me, but I wouldn't take my case to court at this point.

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #920 of 4991 Old 08-16-2009, 04:10 PM

i would have to disagree. i'm sure many love the glossy screen, including myself. i think it adds more pop to the picture.
post #921 of 4991 Old 08-16-2009, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurri2006 View Post

i would have to disagree. i'm sure many love the glossy screen, including myself. i think it adds more pop to the picture.

Since you like the glossy your in luck, that's what most companies are putting out these days.

And yes, there are some others that do like the glossy look but as far as you saying "Im sure many love the glossy" thats were I would have to dis-agree.

In all the years of living on this forum and reading billions of postings everything I have read tells me the flat black/matt finish black is the more prefured finish by an overwhelming number of forum members.

Cheers
Davyo
post #922 of 4991 Old 08-17-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Though the date says May 29, this is the first time I've seen this on the Internet when I've searched for reviews of the soon-coming 551VXT:

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/scottw...ltimate_vizio/

Ultimate Vizio

Posted Fri May 29, 2009, 6:22 PM ET

Last week, I was invited to visit Vizio's offices in Irvine, California, to provide any feedback I might have regarding its upcoming LED-backlit LCD, the 55-inch VF551XVT, which is in the final tweaking stages before its release in early September. This is a very exciting product: an LCD TV with LED local dimming forget this$2000!

Why do I care about covering a $2000 TV on UAV? Because LED backlighting with local dimming brings LCD black levels and contrast ratios into plasma territorypotentially even Kuro territory. If consumers can get that kind of performance for only two grand, that's an ultimate value if ever there was one.

The VF551XVT is said to be 240Hz, but it's of the "120Hz with backlight scanning" varietythat is, the panel's refresh rate is 120Hz with frame interpolation, and the LEDs are flashed on and off in a certain pattern during each frame to simulate the effect of 240Hz. Unlike virtually all other LED LCD manufacturers, Vizio revealed that the backlight includes 960 white LEDs in 80 independently controllable groups. With local dimming engaged, the company claims a dynamic peak contrast ratio of 2,000,000:1.

Readers of UAV's CES blog will be happy to learn that the soundbar below the screen is going to be silver, not bright red, in the production unitsit was red on the sample at the show in order to stand out among the other flat panels surrounding it in Vizio's demo room. The LCD panel itself uses IPS (in-plane switching) technology, which generally yields higher black levels and wider viewing angles than VA (vertical alignment) panels. If the higher black levels can be compensated for with LED local dimming, it might be possible to have the best of both worlds.

Vizio has a somewhat makeshift testing area in one corner of its offices, which is partially light-isolated with black fabric, though it's hardly a fully light-controlled environment. My first recommendation was to build a real video-testing room with complete control of ambient light and dark gray or black walls, ceiling, and floor.

Stepping inside, I found a pre-production VF551XVT sitting between a 55-inch Samsung LN55A950 local-dimming LCD (on the right in the photo above, next to the 551) and 46-inch LN46B7100 LED edge-lit LCD. Farther off to the sides were Vizio's 50-inch VP505XVT plasma and 47-inch SV470XVT conventionally backlit LCD. All were fed the same signal from a Sony PlayStation 3 using a Gefen HDMI splitter.

To Vizio's considerable credit, the company had hired veteran ISF tech Kevin Miller to perform a full calibration of each set so they could be compared while looking their best. When mounting such a comparison, most companies use the out-of-box condition and claim it to be a fair test, but I disagree completelyVizio got this one right.

The VF551XVT's LEDs were not yet tweaked to drop to 0 output behind black areas, but that is the goal in the final production units. A full-screen black field looked pretty dark on the 551 and really black on the Samsung A950, but as expected, not as dark on the Samsung B7100 or Vizio 470 LCD or 505 plasma. In addition, the uniformity on the B7100 edge-lit LCD was pretty bad.

I started by measuring the white and color points on the 551 using my trusty Minolta CS200 colorimeter. Kevin did a good job with the white point, which stayed within 1.6 percent of where it was supposed to throughout the brightness range. Red and blue were pretty close to where they should be, but green was quite oversaturated. I recommended that Vizio implement a color-management system to allow this to be corrected. I was unable to measure black level or contrast ratio because of the poor light control.

Vizio had some test materials on hand, but I brought my own, including Stargate: Continuum. The opening shot of a star field in outer space was very revealingboth local-dimming LCDs (and, in fact, all of the LCDs) revealed far fewer stars than the 505 plasma, which piqued the interest of the Vizio engineers. Similarly, the shadow detail at the start of chapter 3 as the Achilles steams across the Atlantic Ocean was much worse on the LCDs than on the plasma. The 551 has a control called Advanced Adaptive Luma that affects the gamma at the low end of the brightness range, and higher values did improve the shadow detail in this scene.

We also spent some time looking at a few of the clips on FPD Benchmark, a Japanese test Blu-ray that is very revealing of LCD motion blur. As expected, enabling frame interpolation improved the 551's performance in this regard immensely, but it also imparted a "video" look to the image that some folks object to, though I'm not one of them. We did see some interpolation artifacts and judder in a couple of scenes from The Dark Knight. Interestingly, I was told that the MEMC (motion estimation/motion compensation) function, which is implemented on a next-gen processor chip from MediaTek, is disabled if a fast-moving object is deemed to be large.

I was gratified that Vizio wanted my feedback on this set, and the engineers paid close attention to my comments. I look forward to seeing the final product, which should offer great performance for a fraction of what it would cost from just about anyone else. As I said at the outset, that's what I call an ultimate value.

If you have an audio/video question for me, please send it to scott.wilkinson@sorc.com.
post #923 of 4991 Old 08-17-2009, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but here's a review of the SV471XVT: http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/VIZIO_S...DTV_Review.htm

BMW: Happiness is the next curve.
post #924 of 4991 Old 08-19-2009, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Another review of the SV471XVT at televisioninfo.com: http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...eview-1093.htm

post #925 of 4991 Old 08-19-2009, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwracer View Post

Another review of the SV471XVT at televisioninfo.com: http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...eview-1093.htm

"This also meant that the blacks were not very deep, and images had a muddy look. But otherwise, the SV471XVT was an excellent performer at a very reasonable price"

Wha ?! but otherwise excellent performer?

----------------------------------------------
post #926 of 4991 Old 08-19-2009, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

^ The entire review reads like a contradiction: "It's not that good, but..." and "It's pretty good, but..."

You're more confused after reading the review then when you started.

post #927 of 4991 Old 08-23-2009, 03:15 PM

I was just browsing the TVs at my local Walmart and saw the VF550 has a Rollback price of around $1,400 now.
I think we're now on the cusp of the VF551 release… so excited!
post #928 of 4991 Old 08-23-2009, 06:06 PM

Liked: 13
FYI

I was at Costco today and the SV421XVT price has dropped to $899

It was $999 when I bought it on June 30th.
post #929 of 4991 Old 08-23-2009, 08:20 PM

I'd like to find out what store or stores will be carrying the new XVT 551/552 LED series? Also would like to see how this tv stacks up against the Samsung 950 or Sony XBR 8 LED HDTV's.
post #930 of 4991 Old 08-23-2009, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHD View Post

I'd like to find out what store or stores will be carrying the new XVT 551/552 LED series? Also would like to see how this tv stacks up against the Samsung 950 or Sony XBR 8 LED HDTV's.

More than likely their usually stores, BJ's Costco's Sams and Sear's and maybe Walmart online only store.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page