2009 Vizio XVT Series: 240Hz, USB input, LED backlight [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4994 Old 01-28-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carled View Post

Or it's a mea culpa. Calling an 120Hz panel with backlight scanning "240Hz" fits into the same sort of dodgy specmanship that Philips used when they claimed their panels had a "2ms" response rate. It'd be nice to see the industry move away from that.

Zones, not LEDs, and the dimming algorithm, determine how bad blooming is. They could have 6,220,800 LEDs and still have blooming problems if the zones were too big.

Sounds like a Chi Mei backlight. Panels don't have colour gamuts.

Chi Mei can make 55" panels though, but as far as I'm aware they're MVA not IPS.

Yeah, a 55" IPS LED-LCD with local dimming, motion interpolation, backlight strobing and HD media playback for $2k sounds like a terrible idea.

I'm curious as to what would be required in a TV for you to find it acceptable.

$2000 is a lot of money to many people, especially here in America where thousands of jobs are being lost every day. The 55" screen isn't a big deal since people can buy a 73" RPTV for less. Motion interpolation is crap unless it's implemented properly. Same with the backlight. This display may be the 8th wonder of the world, we'll eventually find out. But to imply that people have no need to worry they may have an inferior product despite the 2K price tag that has "loaded" features is irresponsible. It's still a $2000 TV. A $2000 TV where there are still many people in this country who are freaking out because they have to switch to a digital converter. Vizio still needs to be accountable like all other OEMS no matter how many features you get with the low cost. I do hope this display turns out to be a gem, if it is, well, it could be in my living room also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4994 Old 01-28-2009, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

$2000 is a lot of money to many people, especially here in America where thousands of jobs are being lost every day.

Especially? There are rich and poor people no matter what country you go to, but America hardly comes off badly in that equation. The 2008-9 global financial crisis is refered to as global for a reason, there are people losing their jobs and their homes in every corner of the world.

Quote:

The 55" screen isn't a big deal since people can buy a 73" RPTV for less. Motion interpolation is crap unless it's implemented properly. Same with the backlight. This display may be the 8th wonder of the world, we'll eventually find out. But to imply that people have no need to worry they may have an inferior product despite the 2K price tag that has "loaded" features is irresponsible. It's still a $2000 TV. A $2000 TV where there are still many people in this country who are freaking out because they have to switch to a digital converter. Vizio still needs to be accountable like all other OEMS no matter how many features you get with the low cost. I do hope this display turns out to be a gem, if it is, well, it could be in my living room also.

If you don't like the value proposition, there's always the option of not buying it. There are of course cheaper displays (even made by Vizio) for those who would rather pay less for a TV. The only people Vizio need to be accountable to are their shareholders.
post #93 of 4994 Old 01-28-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He mentions it may have 2000 LED's with 240 zones, 240 zones is fine, Toshiba will be doing this, however, 2000 LED's will probably show blooming. The Toshiba, from what i was told, is using far more, this is to correct the blooming problem. ,,,

it isn't just the number of LEDs; it's the number of zones that make the difference so that there is more ability to locally dim smaller areas. the more zones there are, the smaller the area that can be controlled by the larger numbers of zones. you could have more LEDs with the same number of zones, and you would still effectively get the same associated problems from too-few zones.

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #94 of 4994 Old 01-29-2009, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc View Post

it isn't just the number of LEDs; it's the number of zones that make the difference so that there is more ability to locally dim smaller areas. the more zones there are, the smaller the area that can be controlled by the larger numbers of zones. you could have more LEDs with the same number of zones, and you would still effectively get the same associated problems from too-few zones.

TVbc

Well, looks like the 551 series will have about 2000 LED's with 100 dimmable zones at 20 clusters each. Also, looks like it will be spec'd at the 77% color gamut. Vizio is not supporting the wider color gamut. The good news is a review came in and the preliminary results were positive overall based on price. They were not able to test it in the lab, just visual settings on a BR of The Dark Knight. Blacks seemed darker than a CCFL with good shadow detail. Energy consumption seems good with peak at 224. In case anyone needs measurements it's 5" thick, 36" high, and 51.1" diagonally.
post #95 of 4994 Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, looks like the 551 series will have about 2000 LED's with 100 dimmable zones at 20 clusters each. Also, looks like it will be spec'd at the 77% color gamut. Vizio is not supporting the wider color gamut. The good news is a review came in and the preliminary results were positive overall based on price. They were not able to test it in the lab, just visual settings on a BR of The Dark Knight. Blacks seemed darker than a CCFL with good shadow detail. Energy consumption seems good with peak at 224. In case anyone needs measurements it's 5" thick, 36" high, and 51.1" diagonally.

How did you verify this? Got a link?

BMW: Happiness is the next curve.
post #96 of 4994 Old 01-29-2009, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwracer View Post

How did you verify this? Got a link?

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...Review-808.htm
post #97 of 4994 Old 01-30-2009, 12:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
The 47" retails 1400, the 46" XBR8 @ 4700....uhhhh....

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
post #98 of 4994 Old 01-30-2009, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Thanks for the link! However, this article confirms something that we were discussing in the Vizio 550 thread... the soundbar actually is gold and red At least the article confirmed that the colors aren't final. The author expressed his concerns over the color negatively impacting the screen image from a reflection standpoint, if nothing else.

I honestly don't understand Vizio's thinking with this design... you've already got a portion of the cabinet that looks like an "add-on" attachment, now you're going to call even more attention to it by coloring it gold and red!? I think most HDTV viewers (especially large screen) would prefer an enclosure that doesn't call attention to itself, particularly while it's displaying an image. I know from my experience with Vizio's P-42 plasma (the piano black case with the wide chrome speaker grill), that anything as close to the screen and is that contrasting, serves as a distraction.

I like everything else I'm reading about this set, but unless something is done to temper the soundbar, I'll be scratching it off my list.

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #99 of 4994 Old 01-30-2009, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay View Post

I like everything else I'm reading about this set, but unless something is done to temper the soundbar, I'll be scratching it off my list.

Like I said before, the CES model is for show and I doubt it'll be the final product when it's released in the summer.

post #100 of 4994 Old 01-30-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like I said before, the CES model is for show and I doubt it'll be the final product when it's released in the summer.

Yeah, but what concerns me is that the Vizio rep to whom the author of the article that lipcrkr linked said that this color scheme wasn't final, and *could* change for the final design... I get the impression from the article that they are more married to this scheme than just throwing parts together for a prototype. I can't believe they would even float a prototype model with a color scheme that hideous!?

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #101 of 4994 Old 01-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

If the TV functions properly and looks great then I will paint the red bar if I have to. 1799 (if that's the final price) is great for a LCD set that size that comes with the features that the Samsung / Sony / Sharp Aquos sets have.

Love me some HD
post #102 of 4994 Old 01-30-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner1 View Post

If the TV functions properly and looks great then I will paint the red bar if I have to. 1799 (if that's the final price) is great for a LCD set that size that comes with the features that the Samsung / Sony / Sharp Aquos sets have.

I agree... If a little resourcefulness like painting the bar is needed to get what looks to be a really nice HDTV, I'll do it.

post #103 of 4994 Old 01-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay View Post

Yeah, but what concerns me is that the Vizio rep to whom the author of the article that lipcrkr linked said that this color scheme wasn't final, and *could* change for the final design... I get the impression from the article that they are more married to this scheme than just throwing parts together for a prototype. I can't believe they would even float a prototype model with a color scheme that hideous!?

I would be pretty surprised if the 551 enclosure doesn't change significantly between now and June. With 4-5 months to go, it's very likely that the molds for the enclosure have not been finalized yet. My guess is that they stuffed the 551 electronics into a 550 box. When was the last time that Vizio has not changed their exterior design when launching a new model? I suspect that the 551 may be a little bit thinner than 5 inches as well.
post #104 of 4994 Old 01-30-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterl1365 View Post

My guess is that they stuffed the 551 electronics into a 550 box.

Agreed, from the pics I've seen, that would be my assessment of most of the 2009 Vizios: Same box, upgraded electronics... And that's fine by me.

post #105 of 4994 Old 01-31-2009, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterl1365 View Post

I would be pretty surprised if the 551 enclosure doesn't change significantly between now and June. With 4-5 months to go, it's very likely that the molds for the enclosure have not been finalized yet. My guess is that they stuffed the 551 electronics into a 550 box.

Makes sense... I'd say there's hope after all

post #106 of 4994 Old 02-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Has anyone been able to pinpoint when the SV421XVT and SV421XVT come out? I know they say Summer 09 but any chance of Vizio releasing these early?
post #107 of 4994 Old 02-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

I was finally able to see the current model today at Costco. The Costco closest to me does not have a display or any in stock but we were out near another so I stopped to check. If I didn't know about the newer model coming out I would pick up the current set, I watched their HD feed and messed around with the menus. It was right next to a Sony 52" kdl model number and I thought the Vizio looked just as good.

I can't wait for the new model to arrive at stores, I'm going to pick one up right away. (of course after having a look at the display and reading up on it some more)

Love me some HD
post #108 of 4994 Old 02-02-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I can't wait for the new model to arrive at stores, I'm going to pick one up right away. (of course after having a look at the display and reading up on it some more)

Same here.... Summer can't come soon enough.

post #109 of 4994 Old 02-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Same here.... Summer can't come soon enough.

My Toshiba 52" DLP set is nice but these LCD TV's just look fantastic. I'm primed and ready to go, hopefully summer means the very first day of summer.

Love me some HD
post #110 of 4994 Old 02-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is it a gloss screen?
post #111 of 4994 Old 02-02-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post

Is it a gloss screen?

No, it's a matte screen. There's a small amount of reflection, but no more than any other LCD. Much less glare than the Samsung 650 series.
post #112 of 4994 Old 02-02-2009, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is it a gloss screen?

Unfortunately no. It's solid as opposed to liquid.
post #113 of 4994 Old 02-03-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Toshiba 52" DLP set is nice but these LCD TV's just look fantastic. I'm primed and ready to go, hopefully summer means the very first day of summer.

I read somewhere that it was going to be mid-July.

post #114 of 4994 Old 02-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For me the looks of the TV are as important as the way the tv performs. I will not buy this TV with that ugly sound bar.

Just my two cents. My eyes would never be able to view the programing because they would be glued to the sound bar
post #115 of 4994 Old 02-04-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For me the looks of the TV are as important as the way the tv performs. I will not buy this TV with that ugly sound bar.

I'm going to have a hard enough time with a soundbar that would be the same color as the screen bezel, but the chrome and gray sound bar is a distraction when the set is on and an eyesore when it's off. I guess this was a conscious design decision aimed at calling attention to the fact that this set has new technology in its "sound bar", but I've always thought TV speakers should be heard and not seen.

Quote:

Just my two cents. My eyes would never be able to view the programing because they would be glued to the sound bar

I can relate to that... I thought I would be able to ignore the chrome speaker grill on my Vizio P-42 that I bought nearly three years ago, but I couldn't.

I'm in my second week of VA19L ownership now (Vizio's 19" LCD HDTV) and I absolutely love the styling of that case... it's all black and minimalistic, with elegant lines. I wish they could put the Vizio XVT series in that same style case! (BTW, the VA 19L is a top notch performer - I couldn't be happier with it!)

post #116 of 4994 Old 02-04-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 38
If set is darn good, I would turn speakers off, tape it or paint it or fabric it.
post #117 of 4994 Old 02-04-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:

There's nothing like voiding your warranty for aesthetic reasons. Brilliant!
post #118 of 4994 Old 02-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProvidenceLV View Post

There's nothing like voiding your warranty for aesthetic reasons. Brilliant!

It was sarcasm but thanks for the input Dwight Schrute.

Love me some HD
post #119 of 4994 Old 02-04-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

It was sarcasm but thanks for the input Dwight Schrute.

but let me tell you, I just saw their current 55 inch model @ costco, no way, I am giving that dollar store finish a chance It does look atrocious!! I take my suggestion back.
post #120 of 4994 Old 02-04-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Does the 77% color gamut correlate to lack of support for deep color? I.e., is the 10 bit input for hdmi 1.3 being utilized?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page