Sony LCD or Panasonic Plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-13-2009, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy either a Panasonic TH-46PZ85U or a Sony KDL-46V4100.

I'm looking at these because they seem to be the best within my price range and I can get either one within $50 of each other. Could someone offer some input?

I'm looking at a lot of the typical concerns:
-glare (my room is relatively bright but has not direct sunlight on the screen)
-motion blur
-power consumption
-best value (features/quality for my $$$)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-13-2009, 12:58 AM

for games movies or both?
post #3 of 14 Old 01-13-2009, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I'll post my feelings on Panasonic Plasma and they are not good! Panny fanboys hate this but this is an LCD Thread.

Here's what I see as negatives having owned a Panny Plasma for one week:

The Panny Plasma has it's STRONG deficiencies:
  • Dirty Yellow Gray WHITES - in fact no true white! Urinated on Whites! Carribean Ocean Wake and Ski Slopes are bright nearly blinding white and requiring sun glasses/goggles - they are not gray or yellow white - been to the real deal and they are WHITE!
  • Daytime Washout - Glare! If you have daytime SUN forget any dark video games or movies. Try poppng in FEAR and playing it during daytime or similar dark gaming and movies.
  • Reflective panel 24/7 to shave in and inventory the contents of your room.
  • Dull and Dim compared to a quality LCD.
  • No Shadow Details in those BLACKS. CR is measured Black to White and back again not Yellow. White provides contrast to the entire color spectrum - look around you as you go through your day how it's used - your trim is most often painted WHITE.
  • Cartoonish Greens and periodic green tint and fringe around objects and trails.
  • My Sharp has the best flesh tones of any panel I've owned - Panny plasma has that tint on it's glass that gives it the false illusion of deeper blacks which leads to those gray and yellowish dirty whites.
  • Blurry inferior SD
  • You can go to sleep every night viewing LCD and not worry about IR/TIR or Burn-in period and no assinine break-in period.
  • Mine had ZERO WoW factor even at 50" vs. the SXRD I had previous to it and my current 57" Sharp.

If all this means nothing to you and you find yourself in favor of plasma then go for it when pulling out your wallet - don't follow the herd when that time comes - always trust your own eyes to the panel that says BUY ME after considering our input and pony up the bucks to the one that says Buy Me since your eyes most likely will be married to it's PQ performance for many years to come.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #4 of 14 Old 01-13-2009, 07:09 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
With your current price range I would say the Sony. If you were comparing a Pioneer then it would be a much tougher choice.

Westa does have some good points about the deficiencies of plasma. Plasma does have it's own issues, just as can be said about LCD.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-13-2009, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokidkane View Post

for games movies or both?

A mixture of both movies and games....more often movies though.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 567
I have a 46" panasonic 1080p.
My whites are white, I play 360 all day and watch letterboxed movies all night without burn-in, there's no gas cap on the side of the tv and you don't need to have your own hydro-electric plant to power it... Oh and it's made of glass and, yes, glass is heavier than plastic.

Make your choice based on picture quality- not myth-filled rants like the one above. Bottom line you're choosing between two of the best tv makers and both are (arguably) atop their respective technologies- lcd and plasma. You really can't go wrong with either.

But, if you want my opinion (and it is just my opinion), plasma for movies and games- lcd for tv and sports. Yup, that's my opinion... Btw I own both.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #7 of 14 Old 01-13-2009, 09:23 PM

Of all matters, I suggest you getting an LCD TV. It usually lasts longer, consumes less energy, and safer for the environment (if you're green) than most plasma TVs.

The picture quality of the Sony KDL-46V4100 is great. You'll like the the 24p True Cinema mode, which is capable of displaying 24 frame per seconds. But if you lean to black level, the Panny TH-46PZ85U consists of 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, as opposed to the KDL-46V4100 which its ratio is not revealed to publics.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng View Post

westa does have some good points about the deficiencies of plasma. Plasma does have it's own issues, just as can be said about lcd.

+1
post #9 of 14 Old 01-14-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I'll post my feelings on Panasonic Plasma and they are not good! Panny fanboys hate this but this is an LCD Thread.

• Dirty Yellow Gray WHITES - in fact no true white! Urinated on Whites! Carribean Ocean Wake and Ski Slopes are bright nearly blinding white and requiring sun glasses/goggles - they are not gray or yellow white - been to the real deal and they are WHITE!
  • Daytime Washout - Glare! If you have daytime SUN forget any dark video games or movies. Try poppng in FEAR and playing it during daytime or similar dark gaming and movies.
  • No Shadow Details in those BLACKS. CR is measured Black to White and back again not Yellow. White provides contrast to the entire color spectrum - look around you as you go through your day how it's used - your trim is most often painted WHITE.
  • Cartoonish Greens and periodic green tint and fringe around objects and trails.
  • My Sharp has the best flesh tones of any panel I've owned - Panny plasma has that tint on it's glass that gives it the false illusion of deeper blacks which leads to those gray and yellowish dirty whites.
  • Blurry inferior SD
  • You can go to sleep every night viewing LCD and not worry about IR/TIR or Burn-in period and no assinine break-in period.
  • Mine had ZERO WoW factor even at 50" vs. the SXRD I had previous to it and my current 57" Sharp.

If all this means nothing to you and you find yourself in favor of plasma then go for it when pulling out your wallet - don't follow the herd when that time comes - always trust your own eyes to the panel that says BUY ME after considering our input and pony up the bucks to the one that says Buy Me since your eyes most likely will be married to it's PQ performance for many years to come.

Are you crazy? Seriously. I can give an honest opinion since I own both technologies, was a HUGE fan of LCD's, I own a Panasonic 58" 850U plasma, and have a Samsung LCD in my bedroom. I buy TV's once a year.

I just sold my XBR5 (Fantastic TV) and bought a Panny plasma. I hated Plasma technology, but I thought I'd give it a chance. You know what? Picture is simply incredible. Crisp, Razor sharp. There is no TV except the Kuro that comes close to the Panny. Not a fanboy, I'm just being honest. Plasma's have a 3D look to them that I have NOT seen on any LCD. (trust me I spent hours in stores playing Blu Ray movies on every single TV) I was not impressed with the Sammy 950 and the Sony XBR8 is NOT worth it's current price. Even the recent reviews gave the notch to the Panny over both the 950 and the XBR8, and those TV's are much newer and double/triple the price. Panasonic always gets a fantasic reviews

NOt sure what Panny plasma your looking at, but I can promise you this. YOUR POST IS FULL OF LIES.

My Panny is EXTREMELY bright. (I was actually shocked how bright the TV is). It is in a VERY well lit room. I have to turn down the brightness more than half.

Whites look fantastic.

We own a Wii, PS3 and an XBOX 360, ZERO BURN IN, ZERO IR.

Black are incredible.

Look you have to make up your mind. Both technologies are great. I was just completely shocked how amazing my Panny looks. I honestly re-watched all my Blu Ray movies and I'm still blown away. I would of bought the Kuro, but I just wasn't sure I'd like the technology. I was very stubborn and never ever thought in a million years I'd buy a plasma. Next year, I'm buying the Kuro.

And I'm not sure where you will find a 58" LCD for under 2800.00
Which ever technology you decide, just enjoy your TV. That's all that matters.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-14-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

I have a 46" panasonic 1080p.
My whites are white, I play 360 all day and watch letterboxed movies all night without burn-in, there's no gas cap on the side of the tv and you don't need to have your own hydro-electric plant to power it... Oh and it's made of glass and, yes, glass is heavier than plastic.

Make your choice based on picture quality- not myth-filled rants like the one above. Bottom line you're choosing between two of the best tv makers and both are (arguably) atop their respective technologies- lcd and plasma. You really can't go wrong with either.

But, if you want my opinion (and it is just my opinion), plasma for movies and games- lcd for tv and sports. Yup, that's my opinion... Btw I own both.

Very well said. I do have to say I prefer my Plasma for Sports and I actually liked LCD for gaming.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm View Post

NOt sure what Panny plasma your looking at, but I can promise you this. YOUR POST IS FULL OF LIES.

This pretty much sums it up.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

• Blurry inferior SD

Westa, i just posted in the new Panny neoPDP plasma thread. But the new Panny's are now 5 luminence and, at least from what was said at CES, they are as bright or brighter than LCD's. What i was inquiring over there was whether or not the "dirty" white was eliminated or if the "dirty" white is just brighter. So the possibilty exists that these new Panny's are as bright and as "white" as an LCD. Add to that the 2000000:1 CR, 54" screen, and 1080 lines of motion resolution, and about the same energy consumption, well, who needs LED and 120hz/240hz when it's only to correct a shortcoming of a technology? So if these new sets truly do get rid of the "dirty" whites it has to be seriously considered as an alternative. Not the previous plasmas but these new neoPDP's with the 5 lumens. This is the only plasma i'd consider.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Westa had a panny three years ago. Isn't exactly the first time he has made this post. To say it is misleading, doesn't even come close.

Personally? I feel that you would be pretty happy with either. LCDs do better in brighter enviornments, while some plasmas do better in a controlled enviornment. Now, this doesn't mean a blacked out room.

So, if you have a substantial amount of ambient light, the LCD is king hands down.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-14-2009, 09:52 PM

overall you cant go wrong with a panny plasma. they are great! they're not pioneer great. but they're close.

westa6969 im sorry for your bad panasonic experience. but its the 1st ive ever heard of.

Sony's nice. I'll never head a complaint about it. but they havent moved over the last couple years the way samsung, and even more PANASONIC has.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page