Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Short questions:

Can I turn overscan off on the HDMI input on a Vizio VA22LFHDTV10A or VO22LFHDTV10A (or any other Vizio LCD?,) and if so how?

I have the VA, but can return it and get the VO, Does anyone know if the VO22LF suffers from the same overscan problem?

Long Story:

I know 1080p is overkill at 22", especially from 6+ feet away, but I've been
looking for a while for a ~24" TV that can also function as a 1920x1080 computer monitor when sitting up close to it. (A computer monitor wasn't good enough since it needed built in speakers and a remote for power and volume.)

I thought I'd found a good candidate when I found the VO22LFHDTV10A and VA22LFHDTV10A from Visio. Both are 1080p, have 2 HDMI and a VGA inputs, remotes, speakers, and (I was plesantly surprised) digital audio outputs.
Best of all these were less than $300 at BJ's and Costco.

The picture is great over component from both the PS2, and the Tivo, and I don't have an HDMI cable to try the Tivo with that yet.

Today however I go my HDMI to DVI cable and got the computer hooked up.
First I was very surprised that the native resolution reported to the computer by the TV over the HDMI was 1280x720, which since it was being scaled looked like crap. I was able to get my nVidia card to put out 1920x1080(i or p - doesn't make a difference it appears) but then I was even more dismayed when I noticed:

1) The picture looked it was still being scaled, which it is since it's being blown up so that,
2) The picture runs off the screen by what appears to be a good 40-50 pixels on all sides.

Why do TV makers do this?

I know the scaling will be less noticable with a moving video image than with a static computer image, but still when you've got a display that has a separate pixel element for each of the ddata pixels in the original image signal, why on earth would you blow that up bigger just so you can crop a bunch off? Especially when the resultant picture loses so much quality.

At the very least (especially when you bill the TV for use with a computer) there should be an easily accessed way to turn this 'feature' off - I did find an adjustment for picture size and position, and while I know that is really for the analog signals, I had hoped (in vain) that it might allow me to adjust how much overscan was used on the digital signals too. No Such Luck. My nVidia card was willing to let me shrink it's idea of the size of my desktop so that it doesn't go off the edges of the screen, but that actually reduces esktop realestate, *and* leaves the picture scaled and stretched instead of 1:1.

So can this Overscan be adjusted or disabled in any way on these TV's? I looked and looked but I can't find it anywhere.

If not my last resort is to hook it up via the VGA - Hopefully that won't have the same problem or at least if it does, since it's analog, I'm hoping those size and postion adjustments will let me adjust it.

Any suggestions or ideas?

I may end up returning it. Samsung had a 26" 1080p computer monitor with speakers, HDTV tuner and a remote, but it was $450-500. At this point I'm thinking it might be worth the extra money.

-Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-13-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Have you gone into the manual looked at the supportedresolutions? You have to match them up to what the set can support otherwise you are going to see what you are seeing.

Go back into the manual and check it out.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yes. I checked that in the PDF manuals before I bought the unit.

1920x1080 is listed as a supported resolution, (and it's the native resolution for the panel.)

It's also the recommended resolution in another section of the manual.

-Kyle
post #4 of 7 Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

also do you have it hooked up HDMI or computer RGB? I do believe computer RGB is the way to go with this set.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-13-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Currently it leaves the computer as DVI and enters the TV as HDMI.

I am planning on trying the analog VGA(RGB) next, but I'd really rather keep the signal digital the whole way through if I can.

Seems a waste.

But the PC isn't the only device I'm concerned about. When I switch my TiVO S3 to HDMI, Am I going to get a cropped and stretched picture due to the overscan also? That's going to suck! Why can't they make a TV that shows you the picture exactly the way it's described in the original digital signal, pixel for pixel?

-Kyle
post #6 of 7 Old 01-13-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

You'll be fine with the TIVO,

It's just the computer connection that has this deal when it's not the VGA, I think once you do the VGA you'll be just fine.

And no worries on watching TV and movies.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-14-2009, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Ok.

I was hoping someonw would know if the other model (which is otherwise identical I beleive) has the same issue.

Or maybe someon would know if there was a way (through a service menu? or firmware upgrade?) to turn the overscan off entirely and activate a 1:1 picture?

-Kyle
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page