Samsung LN32A330 bleeding? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-20-2009, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm new here and i thought i could find some help on this forum.

i bought a Samsung LN32A330 recently, and while the TV is on and checking a black screen, and i was wondering...is that normal to have an uneven backlight spread on the TV? i mean...the colors seem to be fine, it's just that on some angles, you can see the backlight is not perfectly even everywhere on the panel. I'm not really talking about the famous "backlight bleeding" on the corners or on the sides, but more like around the middle.

When i sit on my bed (32inch is enough for my bedroom) and play some games, i don't really see it since the TV is a bit higher-lvled than my eyes (but still get great colors), at the angle i am on my bed, it seem like i don't see this "bleeding" at all.

i'm lucky my 17inch computer monitor (also Samsung, model 730b) don't have much bleeding, only on the sides, but not much of it.

I bought this model because the Series 4 (450) 32inch model is around 100-200$ more than this Series 3 model (i had a crappy Dynex-brand before, returned it for refund).

i wonder if putting backlight to maximum and contrast to maximum would help so the backlight will "even itself" on my TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-21-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorZX3 View Post

i'm new here and i thought i could find some help on this forum.

i bought a Samsung LN32A330 recently, and while the TV is on and checking a black screen, and i was wondering...is that normal to have an uneven backlight spread on the TV? i mean...the colors seem to be fine, it's just that on some angles, you can see the backlight is not perfectly even everywhere on the panel. I'm not really talking about the famous "backlight bleeding" on the corners or on the sides, but more like around the middle.

When i sit on my bed (32inch is enough for my bedroom) and play some games, i don't really see it since the TV is a bit higher-lvled than my eyes (but still get great colors), at the angle i am on my bed, it seem like i don't see this "bleeding" at all.

i'm lucky my 17inch computer monitor (also Samsung, model 730b) don't have much bleeding, only on the sides, but not much of it.

I bought this model because the Series 4 (450) 32inch model is around 100-200$ more than this Series 3 model (i had a crappy Dynex-brand before, returned it for refund).

i wonder if putting backlight to maximum and contrast to maximum would help so the backlight will "even itself" on my TV

Unfortunately the 450 series is the same way. I had a LN26A450 and the middle part of the t.v. was just like you described. I find that lowering the brightness gets rid of the issue at the expense of a brighter screen.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-21-2009, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

strangely i also had dust and fingerprints on the TV panel, when looking at it in a normal ceiling light, you can't really see it, but when you take a flashlight, it's visible. So i used my Monster ScreenClean solution with a microfiber cloth. But i also noticed, with the flashlight, that there are some discoloration defects on the glossy plastic around. It's not visible with a normal light, but visible with a flashlight, so i guess it's ok.

So you didn't mind that backlight issue with your TV?
post #4 of 7 Old 01-21-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:

strangely i also had dust and fingerprints on the TV panel, when looking at it in a normal ceiling light, you can't really see it, but when you take a flashlight, it's visible. So i used my Monster ScreenClean solution with a microfiber cloth. But i also noticed, with the flashlight, that there are some discoloration defects on the glossy plastic around. It's not visible with a normal light, but visible with a flashlight, so i guess it's ok.

So you didn't mind that backlight issue with your TV?

Actually, I did mind. Every time there was a dark screen from watching movies or playing games it was very distracting. So I returned it for another t.v.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-22-2009, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

i just checked on another forum and this problem is called "clouding", and it seem to be a VERY common problem even on the top-of-the-line LCD TVs.

I heard someone succeeded in fixing the clouding on his TV by very lightly, evenly pressing on the panel, he said he have no clouding anymore, and supposed it can be caused by shipping and handling, with vibrations and rough handling of the boxes.

So even if you buy a 4000$ TV you can still get clouding on it...

here's a video on Youtube, showing the intro of Star Wars, where there's a lot of black:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5O8TR1oxU
post #6 of 7 Old 01-22-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:

i just checked on another forum and this problem is called "clouding", and it seem to be a VERY common problem even on the top-of-the-line LCD TVs.

I heard someone succeeded in fixing the clouding on his TV by very lightly, evenly pressing on the panel, he said he have no clouding anymore, and supposed it can be caused by shipping and handling, with vibrations and rough handling of the boxes.

So even if you buy a 4000$ TV you can still get clouding on it...

here's a video on Youtube, showing the intro of Star Wars, where there's a lot of black:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5O8TR1oxU

Well that sucks. I know it's not a problem with all LCDs. I had a 27 inch Olevia, 26 inch Vizio, and a 32 inch Panasonic that had no clouding at all. The only t.v.s I've been through that exhibit some form of clouding are a 32 inch Toshiba and the 26 inch Samsung I had.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

it's a common problem on any LCD TV i think.

even if you buy Olevia, Vizio or Panasonic, it's while it's being manufactured, the way they make it, on 10 TVs of the same model you can have 3 or 4 of them with clouding.

We do have Vizio branded TVs here, is it any good? do they make their own panels?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page