Official Sharp Aquos LC-42D85U/46D85U/52D85U 120Hz Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 296 Old 09-16-2009, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just had BestBuy drop off my Sharp LC-46D85UN last week and the TV is great. The only thing I have noticed is every once in a while there is a cracking/popping sound on some channels.

This form has been a great help in many questions I had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 296 Old 09-16-2009, 06:39 PM

having had the 46d82U for more than a year now. mostly used for my xbox 360 gaming; however i sometimes find it too dark for some games.

im looking for an optimal picture setting for my gaming. can anyone give me some specific advice? thx
post #183 of 296 Old 09-16-2009, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperine View Post

having had the 46d82U for more than a year now. mostly used for my xbox 360 gaming; however i sometimes find it too dark for some games.

im looking for an optimal picture setting for my gaming. can anyone give me some specific advice? thx

Ya got the latest firm ware ? that solved all my PQ issues

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #184 of 296 Old 09-17-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Ya got the latest firm ware ? that solved all my PQ issues

lastest firmware for my TV? i didnt know u could flash tv's firmware. how to do that?
post #185 of 296 Old 09-17-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperine View Post

lastest firmware for my TV? i didnt know u could flash tv's firmware. how to do that?

Download and extract the latest firmware from Sharp's website onto a USB thumbdrive, insert the drive in the USB port on the TV and step through the menus until you find the software update option. Unfortunately, Sharp just redesigned its web site, so finding the firmware update is just about impossible. Hopefully, the web site will be fixed soon. I updated my 42D85U several weeks ago.
post #186 of 296 Old 09-20-2009, 11:00 AM

Sharps website was put up without testing and the firmware for lcds is nowhere to be found. I googled the firmware and the cached page said it was available. I called sharp. They use the website for customer service. not an internal one, but the actual website.they told e that there is an update, but they cant get me the firmware. i have a htpc with hdmi out to my screen. Everything looks amazing but the screen loses its signal when watching videos online. not all the time, and completely random. I have been waiting for an update and now that there is one I cant get the firmware. Please, please, please, help me. Can someone email me the firmware? I would highly appreciate it.
post #187 of 296 Old 09-20-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergeek7 View Post

Sharps website was put up without testing and the firmware for lcds is nowhere to be found. I googled the firmware and the cached page said it was available. I called sharp. They use the website for customer service. not an internal one, but the actual website.they told e that there is an update, but they cant get me the firmware. i have a htpc with hdmi out to my screen. Everything looks amazing but the screen loses its signal when watching videos online. not all the time, and completely random. I have been waiting for an update and now that there is one I cant get the firmware. Please, please, please, help me. Can someone email me the firmware? I would highly appreciate it.

PM me I i see if we can work it out .I have the firmware in a folder

Mike

post #188 of 296 Old 09-23-2009, 04:47 AM

delete
post #189 of 296 Old 09-25-2009, 10:40 AM

delete
post #190 of 296 Old 09-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Well, I have had my LC-42D85U for 5 months and as of yesterday there is a black line about one pixel high that extends the entire width of the screen about 5 inches from the top. I just called and opened a case file with Aquosadvantage. They asked me to take pics of the problem and we'll go from there. What can I expect?
post #191 of 296 Old 09-26-2009, 02:19 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson View Post

Well, I have had my LC-42D85U for 5 months and as of yesterday there is a black line about one pixel high that extends the entire width of the screen about 5 inches from the top. I just called and opened a case file with Aquosadvantage. They asked me to take pics of the problem and we'll go from there. What can I expect?

Shouldn't be a problem. This set comes with a one year warranty. I just joined Sharp Aquos on Facebook and they are gladly helping anybody with their problems.

Gamertag: Elder Sasquatch
post #192 of 296 Old 10-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I've e-mailed pics twice of my problem and they have deemed that my set can not be fixed. Since I bought it at BJ's, they are getting me authorization to return it to the store and pick up a new one.
post #193 of 296 Old 10-06-2009, 06:01 PM

delete
post #194 of 296 Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 AM

well i just purchase a lc52d85un this past saturday from best buy. right out of the box i have a problem. whenever the screen is black i get a white light in the bottom right corner. i called sharp and there going to send a tech out. im just wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this?
post #195 of 296 Old 10-07-2009, 09:02 AM

Just got mine on Sunday. No issues with lights on the black screen.

My question is about the game mode for this unit. All the manual really says about it is:

GAME: Lowers image brightness for easier viewing.

Is the manual just simplifying things or is this really all it does? Is there any evidence that this setting turns off any image processing in order to reduce lag? Or does anything more than just reducing the brightness? I'm not crazy about the picture of Game mode so if it doesn't do anything to reduce lage I'd rather not use it.
post #196 of 296 Old 10-07-2009, 10:23 AM

i was not happy with mine on game mode either at first. so i messed around with it a little and adjusted a few things. now it looks great.
Slim when you first turn on yours on with out any componets on is your screen completely black? i just want to make sure that im not overreacting about mine
post #197 of 296 Old 10-07-2009, 10:41 AM

I'll check it out when I get home... around 5 PM CST.

Yeah, I figured I could change the settings on Game Mode a bit to make it look better. My main concern is whether Game Mode is anything outside of just a different set of adjustments... like reduced image processing or the like.
post #198 of 296 Old 10-07-2009, 03:03 PM

Got home and turned it on, with it set to an HDMI input with the device off. Screen is dark, no traces of light anywhere.
post #199 of 296 Old 10-07-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Game mode turns off additional image processing, so it's the lowest lag possible. I use the CNET settings in this thread with Game Mode and it looks correct according to my Avia calibration DVD. The only thing you may have to adjust is the contrast and brightness.
post #200 of 296 Old 10-07-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

Game mode turns off additional image processing, so it's the lowest lag possible. I use the CNET settings in this thread with Game Mode and it looks correct according to my Avia calibration DVD. The only thing you may have to adjust is the contrast and brightness.

Yes, I see that now after running the Guitar Hero calibration test on the 360. I know it's not perfect, but the results after running it several times with Game Mode on and off were unmistakeable. I'll check out those CNET settings, thanks.
post #201 of 296 Old 10-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM2 View Post

Can you elaborate a little more on how this process work? You are returning it to BJ's so that they can ship it to Sharp? Is that the reason?

How about the price for the new one? If it is more or less expensive then the one you are returning, are you paying\\getting back the difference?

The reason I ask is because I got a great deal on my 52" Sharp, but if it breaks and will need to get replaced, I want to make sure that I can get another 52" without paying anything extra, nor I want to get the gift card equal to the amount I spent on mine.

I know with Sony 1yr warranty tech always comes to your home to fix your TV (40" and larger). If Sony TV needs to be replaced, they ship you new or refurb one to your home, but you get to keep your "broken" set. Sony ext warranty is another story, can be good or bad but worked out great for me once. I had 3 sony tvs and called them 4 times within the last 3 years and have been very satisfied with their service.
Sony always tries to fix your TV within the first year, no matter what went wrong. I had a LCD screen replaced once because I (and the tech) thought it was blurry, although the new one wasn't any better and later I found out that XBR4 series are like that at SD channels. The screen was around $2k, while I paid way under $1k for the set. Sony extended warranty on the other hand looks at the price you paid and decides whether to fix it/replace it/or give you your money back. If you paid a lot for your set, they will probably fix it or replace it. If you pay too little, they will give you the money back and you get to keep your set. The only problem with sony ext warranty, is that they use the amount you paid as the max they will every pay for any repairs. So, if you paid $1k for your set and they spent $600 for fixing it once, you only have $400 left for the next repair. If it breaks down again, they'll decide whether to fix it or give you $400 (-diagnostic fee of ~~$100) back.

Looks like Sharp warranty is more like sony extended warranty. They estimate the repair and decide what to do with you. I just hope they don't offer you a buyout, giving you back your money because it's less then the repair cost (which is almost always the case with me, because I get great deals on my tvs)

Sharp is getting me authorization to return the TV to BJ's (I actually got the authorization number from them today)and they say BJ's will exchange it on the spot for a new set of the same model. I was told by the rep that if they didn't have the same model anymore, they could not downgrade me, only upgrade, but the model is current so I shouldn't have a problem according to them. What they are going to do with the TV I have no idea. I am probably going to go Friday to see how this goes. I'll let you know.
post #202 of 296 Old 10-15-2009, 06:01 AM

Liked: 13
Anyone know if these models, the D46U in particular, have Kurolink? Many Sharps do I'm told. (links up with PIO Receivers for HDMI Pass through)

Edit: yes it is compatible:

http://pioneer.jp/homeav/support/hdmi_cec/
post #203 of 296 Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 PM

I'm not that knowledgeable on TV's but I have a problem with my 42-inch 85U. There are 1-2 horizontal lines that slowly moves up the screen from the bottom. It's not solid colored lines but it's still kind of noticeable. If anyone has an idea what the problem is, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
post #204 of 296 Old 10-16-2009, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatik View Post

I'm not that knowledgeable on TV's but I have a problem with my 42-inch 85U. There are 1-2 horizontal lines that slowly moves up the screen from the bottom. It's not solid colored lines but it's still kind of noticeable. If anyone has an idea what the problem is, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

have u tried doing a firm ware upgrade ?

Mike

post #205 of 296 Old 10-16-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatik View Post

- It's also possible you have a ground loop problem. Try unplugging different devices from the TV and see if the lines go away. It's usually the line from the cablebox that is the issue.
post #206 of 296 Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 PM

When you search for it under SUpport by model number it asks you to download TEL_SOFT_E77_D85UN_SB57_S0905201.zip file but the unzipped file when you try to upload to TV, the tv reports it is not for the model lc-52d85un model. It looks like the site is screwed up and shows wrong link to downlaod. Anyone has the new firmware? What's new in it?
post #207 of 296 Old 10-20-2009, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

i have on my pc's soo if want a copy i can burn it for ya

Mike

post #208 of 296 Old 10-21-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav33n View Post

When you search for it under SUpport by model number it asks you to download TEL_SOFT_E77_D85UN_SB57_S0905201.zip file but the unzipped file when you try to upload to TV, the tv reports it is not for the model lc-52d85un model. It looks like the site is screwed up and shows wrong link to downlaod. Anyone has the new firmware? What's new in it?

I had the same issue with the 46D85UN, I tried downloading the file from the Sharp site and it said that the file and model don't match up. I contacted Aquos support so they shipped me out a USB with the firmware and that still didn't work. They are sending a tech to my house this week.
post #209 of 296 Old 10-21-2009, 04:35 PM

It seems this update does not apply to sets sold in Canada. My TV did not recognize the latest firmware update [if you're from the US and having trouble locating it, as I did, try going to sharpusa > customer support > product downloads > software downloads (85Us don't show up in the lists at the product downloads page)].

I went to sharp.ca and they list no firmware updates for my LC-46D85U. I was hoping it would address the issues I have with both black and white clipping.

P.S. SharpUSA's new website is absolutely horrible and very unprofessional. If I had encountered that when looking at their page for my TV when I was considering several different models and brands in February, I would have immediately gone elsewhere. I'm off to write an email to them stating the very same thing.
post #210 of 296 Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 AM

Has anyone been able to control through the external RS232? If so, please post an example of the command using a terminal program. I would like On/Off control as well as selecting the VGA(PC) input.

Thanks!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page