120hz VS 240hz LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-22-2009, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
champer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i noticed theres a 240hz LCD now from Sony KDL-52XBR7. but is there a big difference in the picture to anyone who owns one between 240hz LCD and 120hz ?


cause i was planning on buying a 52 inch soon for my living room and don't know if the money is really worth it on that one or not.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
champer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 01-22-2009, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
omeletpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just bought a 120 hz Samsung and see no motion lag issues or artifacts, so 240 hz probably buys me nothing. I read a recent report from a CES reporter that said that he couldn't see any difference in the 120 vs 240 sets. Check out the 120 hz Sony and if there is no issue then 240 hz may buy you nothing
omeletpants is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 01-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Member
 
vic_0002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

i noticed theres a 240hz LCD now from Sony KDL-52XBR7. but is there a big difference in the picture to anyone who owns one between 240hz LCD and 120hz ?


cause i was planning on buying a 52 inch soon for my living room and don't know if the money is really worth it on that one or not.

I've seen the 52XBR7 in action for a second time and I don't believe there is much of a difference between the 240hz and 120hz. Though it looked smooth, I still saw some slight motion artifacts on the xbr7.

I think instead of 240hz, Sony should have perfected thier 120hz to the point of having zero halos or artifacts on the high smooth-motion setting. I once saw a Mitsubishi LCD in action at Fry's (the one with the long multi-speaker soundbar) playing "Transformers" and the smoothing was set to high, and it just blew me away... I realized a huge factor in that was the complete absence of all artifacts and halos on the Mitsubishi while giving that 3-D look. My XBR6 gives that 3-D look as well when set to "high", but doesn't really blow me away like that Mitsubishi did becuase of the distracting halos.

I hear Phillips is coming out with a new "halo-free" 120hz TV, this is better I believe than just going to 240hz (for movies anyway... sports may be a different matter).
vic_0002 is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 01-22-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
champer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_0002 View Post

I've seen the 52XBR7 in action for a second time and I don't believe there is much of a difference between the 240hz and 120hz. Though it looked smooth, I still saw some slight motion artifacts on the xbr7.

I think instead of 240hz, Sony should have perfected thier 120hz to the point of having zero halos or artifacts on the high smooth-motion setting. I once saw a Mitsubishi LCD in action at Fry's (the one with the long multi-speaker soundbar) playing "Transformers" and the smoothing was set to high, and it just blew me away... I realized a huge factor in that was the complete absence of all artifacts and halos on the Mitsubishi while giving that 3-D look. My XBR6 gives that 3-D look as well when set to "high", but doesn't really blow me away like that Mitsubishi did becuase of the distracting halos.

I hear Phillips is coming out with a new "halo-free" 120hz TV, this is better I believe than just going to 240hz (for movies anyway... sports may be a different matter).

im a big movie fanboy and video games of course. i always watch dvds blu rays and HD dvds and try to compare them and stuff with the best picture so i was thinking the frame rate would be much better on the XBR7 but maybe i should take a look at one myself at frys to see a difference.

the problem is though at frys bestbuy or any other place that sales TVs they never have them hooked up HDMI i can tell. they use component most of the time.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
champer is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Member
 
vic_0002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

im a big movie fanboy and video games of course. i always watch dvds blu rays and HD dvds and try to compare them and stuff with the best picture so i was thinking the frame rate would be much better on the XBR7 but maybe i should take a look at one myself at frys to see a difference.

the problem is though at frys bestbuy or any other place that sales TVs they never have them hooked up HDMI i can tell. they use component most of the time.

That's true for most store setups but not always. The XBR7 I saw was at Sonystyle and it was connected directly to a blue ray player. The Mitsubishi LCD at that Fry's was set up in a special isolated room displaying stereo receivers (with really big speakers all around) and was playing the blue ray of Transformers. If you get the chance, look up the Mitsu then compare its 120hz to the XBR7's. I do think that's the direction Sony should have gone instead of 240hz.
vic_0002 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 01-22-2009, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TVbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

i noticed theres a 240hz LCD now from Sony KDL-52XBR7. but is there a big difference in the picture to anyone who owns one between 240hz LCD and 120hz ?


cause i was planning on buying a 52 inch soon for my living room and don't know if the money is really worth it on that one or not.

the sony 52xbr7 is currently the only 240Hz lcd in the north american market (there are more sizes in europe and other places globally.).

there are expected to be many more 240Hz sets from multiple brands in the upcoming model year google ces 2009 to get some reports on what to expect.

but there is expected to be more announcements within a month or two.

read the cnet review of the xbr7. he wasn't impressed. did say measurements pointed to improvement, but actual viewing he says probably not noticeable to most viewers. i was disappointed in his review in that he didnt specifically address how it was for broadcast sports, the market sony is selling this feature to.

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
TVbc is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 01-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Member
 
yada's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did u hear LG shows off its 480 MHz at CES this year?

I am totally happy with my 120 MHz Sharp lc52d92u, absolutely gorgeous.
yada is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
120 Vs 240hz , 120hz Vs 240hz , 240hz Vs 120hz
Gear in this thread - 240hz by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off