Grammys bad quality or my TV?? - AVS Forum
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Grammys bad quality or my TV??
RJSinMO's Avatar RJSinMO 08:20 AM 02-09-2009
I've had a few people confirm the bad audio quality of the Grammy's last night. But, I noticed while Katy Perry was performing ("I kissed a girl") that everytime the strobes would flash, the picture would get blurry and pixelated. I thought maybe it was AT&T Uverse compression, so I switched to the over the air signal and saw the same thing.

Someone on another forum said they didn't notice and that maybe it was my TV. I thought I had DVR'ed and was going to watch on the other LCD TV, but turns out I didn't record it.

So, did anyone else notice bad quality or record it and can review that clip?

If it matters, I've got a Toshiba 42LX177.

mes444's Avatar mes444 08:38 AM 02-09-2009
I wasn't watching as critically as you may have been, but the pic on my tv did not get blurry or pixelated as far as normal viewing is concerned. It looked fine to me. The sound was below par.

I have Verizon FIOS so we don't get much pixelation ever. But sound varies greatly from station to station and show to show.
woodyjoe's Avatar woodyjoe 08:50 AM 02-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJSinMO View Post

I've had a few people confirm the bad audio quality of the Grammy's last night. But, I noticed while Katy Perry was performing ("I kissed a girl") that everytime the strobes would flash, the picture would get blurry and pixelated. I thought maybe it was AT&T Uverse compression, so I switched to the over the air signal and saw the same thing.

Someone on another forum said they didn't notice and that maybe it was my TV. I thought I had DVR'ed and was going to watch on the other LCD TV, but turns out I didn't record it.

It looked great on my toshiba 52xv545u and my 37" toshiba lcd in bedroom.
vud911's Avatar vud911 08:53 AM 02-09-2009
Test from another source -- Bluray player, PS3, etc. and if it doesn't happen from them then it isn't your TV.
boswd's Avatar boswd 09:56 AM 02-09-2009
I thought the Grammy's looked and sounded fantastic last night. I have a Vzio VO32 and Comcast as the source. Also go to the HD Programming and see if there is a thread on the Grammy's and see if anyone in your area expereince what you did.

but yeah it was a clean and excellent broadcast.
Cal1981's Avatar Cal1981 09:59 AM 02-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

I thought the Grammy's looked and sounded fantastic last night. I have a Vzio VO32 and Comcast as the source. Also go to the HD Programming and see if there is a thread on the Grammy's and see if anyone in your area expereince what you did.

but yeah it was a clean and excellent broadcast.

Same here: Comcast Moto 3416 DVR/Sony 40Z. I did get a couple of quick audio glitches but the HD image was excellent.
RJSinMO's Avatar RJSinMO 10:23 AM 02-09-2009
boswd, thanks for the tip on the "HD Programming" thread. I went there. Many complain of the sound issues. And at least one commented on the poor HD during the Katy Perry segment. So, maybe others didn't notice, or it was a problem in the feed to the local stations, or we both have TV problems
Tom Parker's Avatar Tom Parker 10:59 AM 02-09-2009
The audio guy should have his head handed to him this morning. Lead vocals were regularly dull and low level compared to the instruments. Basic stuff.
rcktpwrd's Avatar rcktpwrd 12:57 PM 02-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJSinMO View Post

I noticed the same issues during the Grammys. I have Time Warner. The overall sound during what I watched was bad and kept cutting in and out. I also noticed the blurriness, almost like the cameras couldn't hold focus when the lights/strobes were going I was flipping channels and the other stuff I was watching was just fine.
MrEastSide's Avatar MrEastSide 12:58 PM 02-09-2009
I think you're simply being punished for watching a show with music as terrible as the Grammys. LOL!
66stang's Avatar 66stang 01:10 PM 02-09-2009
I noticed the same thing with comcast in s. N.H. picture blurry on more than one occation and sound quality not great. Sony sxrd Denon 888.
cya-nide's Avatar cya-nide 01:30 PM 02-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

I think you're simply being punished for watching a show with music as terrible as the Grammys. LOL!

you beat me to it :P personally i didnt watch it, but the missus did, whenever i glanced over i didnt notice anything out of the ordinary, and i did watch the Katy Perry performance, not for the song tho :P

Orta's Avatar Orta 01:40 PM 02-09-2009
It's not your TV, the image quality tanked spectacularly during that KP performance. It looked like there was simply too much stuff going on for the compression techniques to handle. I'm not sure if this was a regional thing, or a prime example of how worthless anecdotal impressions truly are.
Bemmy's Avatar Bemmy 02:03 PM 02-09-2009
Well I had the sound muted but did notice the blocking problem when the strobes flashed with movement.
Probably the MPEG encoders could'nt handle the sharp transitions and may be a limitation of the system.
Realy noticed it as I had the HD picture stretched to make the girls look normal (no helping Ally Mcbeal).
Up
Mobile  Desktop