Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2888 Old 08-09-2009, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxAchillesxX View Post

I think that the Xbr9's are better in every way. I know the blacks are better on this set it does have 150,000:1 contrast ration vs. 100,000:1 like on the 650. To be honest though I'm all about the SOE so I was willing to sacrifice color and even some detail if I needed to to get the SOE I was looking for. I don't be believe, however, that I have. I think the Xbr9 is better in every way vs. my 650. Now don't get me wrong I LOVED my 650 till I got a hold of the Xbr9, and I have always owned Samsungs. So its not like I'm some Samsung hater getting on here and bashing them. This is the very first Sony I have ever owned, but I'm sure there will be many more. If I find a TV that can run the SOE on high without ghosting or halos I will buy that set regardless of who makes it. It's all about the picture I want- not the brand! I'm sure if you've done what I told you to with the XBR9 then it won't even be a decision with you. You'll go XBR9 all the way! Let me know what you go with or disagree.

Good Luck!

P.S.- If you don't put your blu-ray player on 24p the SOE won't look near as good using the "Standard and Auto 1" setting. You HAVE to do that to get the SOE I'm sure your looking for. Otherwise you aren't getting the full effect!

Welcome to the board..does your new BR-9 have "clicking" issues when you power it on ? Does the TV Guide work on the OTA channels ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2888 Old 08-09-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen111 View Post

No kidding. As I said earlier....all the internal parts (on the XBR 4's and up) are NO LONGER made by Sony, but are from Samsung and Sharp. The last great line of Sony were the XBR 1's and 2's...those models were 100 % SONY parts and were made in Japan.

I thought it was mentioned here before that the XBR4 was purely made by sony? I think it was boltjames that compared it to the 1967 stingray...
post #453 of 2888 Old 08-09-2009, 05:46 PM

Does anyone know how to output 5.1 audio from the tv to the receiver when watching Amazon VOD HD? I'm using the optical out to a marantz and it only shows a 2 channel pcm signal..

Does Amazon VOD even output 5.1?

When watching OTA, the receiver shows a 5.1 signal, so I know the optical out is working correctly.

Thanks !
post #454 of 2888 Old 08-09-2009, 05:54 PM

There's a few other people in the forum that have reported noticable clouding in a dark room with a dark scene.

I have the same problem.

My feeling is all the xbr9's have some degree of this problem. Has anyone returned their tv for this and if they got a new xbr9, was the clouding elimated or improved on the new unit??

I'm trying to decide if I'm just going to live with it...

I think my recommendation would be if you like watching TV in a really dark room, don't buy the xbr9. As it is, I'm always leaving a few lights on to make the clouding unnoticeable...
post #455 of 2888 Old 08-09-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Welcome to the board..does your new BR-9 have "clicking" issues when you power it on ? Does the TV Guide work on the OTA channels ?

Thank You. I have no clicking issues at all. My only complaint would be a tiny bit of clouding, but I would rather have the tiny bit of clouding I have than the reflections I got from the 650. My XBR9 is in my "man cave" that has four windows in it, so the 650 had just way to much glare. Also I just run my DVR so I don't use that guide. Sorry no help with that one.

Also does anyone know what the latest software update did?

thanks guys
post #456 of 2888 Old 08-10-2009, 06:31 AM

I'm still trying to decide between this and the B750...thank you XxAchillesxX for your input regarding the "soap-opera" look...from what I can tell side by side is that the XBR9 does put out a better feel for that with no ghosting when set on high and cinemamotion is off...but I get the feeling that the colors on this set are more washed out when compared to the B750...like the color doesn't pop....i noticed that with the Z5100 but I didnt think it would be a problem for the XBR9 because its supposed to be the top of the line model but in scenes that are dark such as the film dark knight the blacks and other colors just seemed to pop more on the B750...I dont know if it's just the setting because there's no calibibration thread here for the xbr9 and it seems like people are just more interested in the B750 in general...for those that do own the XBR9 how do you feel about the colors popping out as compared to other sets like the samsung or LG's? i want to know what you think...everyone's opinion is appreciated...thank you
post #457 of 2888 Old 08-10-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopez12 View Post

I'm still trying to decide between this and the B750...thank you XxAchillesxX for your input regarding the "soap-opera" look...from what I can tell side by side is that the XBR9 does put out a better feel for that with no ghosting when set on high and cinemamotion is off...but I get the feeling that the colors on this set are more washed out when compared to the B750...like the color doesn't pop....i noticed that with the Z5100 but I didnt think it would be a problem for the XBR9 because its supposed to be the top of the line model but in scenes that are dark such as the film dark knight the blacks and other colors just seemed to pop more on the B750...I dont know if it's just the setting because there's no calibibration thread here for the xbr9 and it seems like people are just more interested in the B750 in general...for those that do own the XBR9 how do you feel about the colors popping out as compared to other sets like the samsung or LG's? i want to know what you think...everyone's opinion is appreciated...thank you

In my opinion this is a positive thing. The sony renders more more natural color that way. I guess if you like the artificial colors more then the samsung is more for you.
post #458 of 2888 Old 08-10-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:

I don't disagree with you that the Samsung has a little more pop, but the cons of it simply outweigh the positives in my opinion. Being the reflections and the insane amount of ghosting and halos. As I said before it was about the SOE and no reflections. Also if your using like the vivid or standard setting that is not smart. Get a good calibration going then decide.

Good Luck
post #459 of 2888 Old 08-10-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:

I don't disagree with you that the Samsung has a little more pop, but the cons of it simply outweigh the positives in my opinion. Being the reflections and the insane amount of ghosting and halos. As I said before it was about the SOE and no reflections. Also if your using like the vivid or standard setting that is not smart. Get a good calibration going then decide.

Good Luck

Yeah I definitely can see where everyone is coming from with the more natural colors. But do you also feel the blacks are just as good as that on the B750? I'm doing trying to downplay the xbr9 in anyway because I think its a great set I just want the opinion of those who have had it for a while ad have had a good feel for it already. I see the vivid settings that came with the set to not be all that horrible. I made a few adjustments here and there and also did a little tweaking in the custom area for something I liked. But why is there no calibration thread for this tv? I mean isn't it supposed to be one of the best on the market? I just need some help in the area of calibration and getting colors and everything set right.
post #460 of 2888 Old 08-10-2009, 02:54 PM

I apologize if this has been covered. Does anyone have the 52XBR9 mated with the S1 Blu-ray player? Have you been able to program the remote to operate it? Thanks for the info.
post #461 of 2888 Old 08-10-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:

But why is there no calibration thread for this tv? I mean isn't it supposed to be one of the best on the market? I just need some help in the area of calibration and getting colors and everything set right.

I have no idea. Wondered that a month ago when I bought it myself. Here are my settings in the hope that others will share theirs....

Picture Mode : Custom
Backlight : 6
Picture (Contrast) : 99
Brightness : 45
Color : 50
Hue : 0
Color Temperature : Warm 1
Sharpness : Min
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction : Off
MotionFlow : High
Cinemotion : Off

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector : Low
Adv. Contrast Enhancer : Off
Gamma : 0
Auto Light Limiter : Off
Clear White : Off
Wide Color : Wide
Live Color: Low
White Balance : R-Gain -14
White Balance: R-Bias -14

Sound Mode: Standard
Treble: -5
Bass: +10
Balance: 0
Surround: Off
Voice Zoom: +2
Sound Enhancer: Off

BJ
post #462 of 2888 Old 08-10-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post

I have no idea. Wondered that a month ago when I bought it myself. Here are my settings in the hope that others will share theirs....

Picture Mode : Custom
Backlight : 6
Picture (Contrast) : 99
Brightness : 45
Color : 50
Hue : 0
Color Temperature : Warm 1
Sharpness : Min
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction : Off
MotionFlow : High
Cinemotion : Off

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector : Low
Adv. Contrast Enhancer : Off
Gamma : 0
Auto Light Limiter : Off
Clear White : Off
Wide Color : Wide
Live Color: Low
White Balance : R-Gain -14
White Balance: R-Bias -14

Sound Mode: Standard
Treble: -5
Bass: +10
Balance: 0
Surround: Off
Voice Zoom: +2
Sound Enhancer: Off

BJ

I agree BJ. Here are mine. Mind you mine is a little darker because mine is in a very dark room. So I may not use these if your room is way bright. At night when I watch I don't like to feel like it is burning my retinas out!!!

Backlight: 2
Picture: Max
Brightness: 32
Color: 54
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm 1
Sharpness: 8
Noise R: Off
MPEG: Off
Motionflow: Standard
Cinemotion: Auto 1

Advanced

Black Corrector: High
Adv. contrast enhancer: High
Gama: +2
Auto Light: Off
Clear White: Off
Wide Color: Standard
White Balance:

R-Gain: -13
R- Bias: -10
all else set on 0

Let me know what you think
post #463 of 2888 Old 08-11-2009, 04:42 AM

anyone else have an opinion as to how this stacks up against the b750? i need some people's opinions please
post #464 of 2888 Old 08-11-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb2112 View Post

I apologize if this has been covered. Does anyone have the 52XBR9 mated with the S1 Blu-ray player? Have you been able to program the remote to operate it? Thanks for the info.

Please.
post #465 of 2888 Old 08-11-2009, 08:14 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianburrows View Post

There's a few other people in the forum that have reported noticable clouding in a dark room with a dark scene.

I have the same problem.

My feeling is all the xbr9's have some degree of this problem. Has anyone returned their tv for this and if they got a new xbr9, was the clouding elimated or improved on the new unit??

I'm trying to decide if I'm just going to live with it...

I think my recommendation would be if you like watching TV in a really dark room, don't buy the xbr9. As it is, I'm always leaving a few lights on to make the clouding unnoticeable...

I have noticeable clouding when the room is dark, but I only see it when there's nothing else on the screen. Movies and HDTV programming look fine.

I had clicking problems until I disabled the TV guide. I think it was the attempted updating over the network connection that caused most of it.

I still have a 52 inch XBR4 and I must admit that it was the most satisfying out of the box (no tweaking required) of any of the many Sony TVs (most of them XBR's) that I've owned. I had one of the original CRT XBR's and have had many models, including CRT's, the plasma XBR-900, an LCD XBR-950, an XBR1 and an XBR2. If I didn't already have a 52-inch XBR4 in my "home theater" room, I'd probably spring for a 55-inch XBR8. My 46-inch XBR9 is in the master bedroom, and the 46 XBR8 seemed a little too much for a bedroom TV.

Bill Julyan
post #466 of 2888 Old 08-11-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:

I agree BJ. Here are mine. Mind you mine is a little darker because mine is in a very dark room. So I may not use these if your room is way bright. At night when I watch I don't like to feel like it is burning my retinas out!!!

Backlight: 2
Picture: Max
Brightness: 32
Color: 54
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm 1
Sharpness: 8
Noise R: Off
MPEG: Off
Motionflow: Standard
Cinemotion: Auto 1

Advanced

Black Corrector: High
Adv. contrast enhancer: High
Gama: +2
Auto Light: Off
Clear White: Off
Wide Color: Standard
White Balance:

R-Gain: -13
R- Bias: -10
all else set on 0

Let me know what you think

I don't get Cinemotion. Does it only affect movies? I don't have this panel hooked up to a Blu-ray or any other 1080p source. Just DirecTV 1080i and a Sony upscaling DVD Player 1080i.

TIA

BJ
post #467 of 2888 Old 08-11-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:

I don't get Cinemotion. Does it only affect movies? I don't have this panel hooked up to a Blu-ray or any other 1080p source. Just DirecTV 1080i and a Sony upscaling DVD Player 1080i.

TIA

BJ

I don't mean to be rude at all BJ. But how can you have a TV like that and not have a blu-ray player? That is practically what this TV is made for! The cinemotion works with any type of film source. So even if you are watching an upscaled DVD it would still work.

Get BLU-RAY!!
post #468 of 2888 Old 08-11-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:

I don't mean to be rude at all BJ. But how can you have a TV like that and not have a blu-ray player? That is practically what this TV is made for! The cinemotion works with any type of film source. So even if you are watching an upscaled DVD it would still work.

Get BLU-RAY!!

Not rude at all. Here's your answers:

1. My XBR9 is at my beach house in Maine so I can watch sports in HD and make my neighbors green with envy. As if the BMW convertible and the trophy wife weren't enough.

2. My XBR2 is at my primary residence and indeed is hooked up to a Blu-ray player.

3. I only bought a Blu-ray player so as to play back my Sony 1080i hi-def home movies shot on my Sony TG5 as AVCHD files burned onto DVD-R's.

4. I use my Apple TV to stream HD movies to my XBR's. No new movie is decent enough for me to watch more than once these days and I'm done trekking to the store to buy them. Even for a new movie I really like, I'm not going to watch it more than once a year. Most of my movie watching is done on planes, traveling internationally when I'm at 30,000 feet in business class.

5. My friends and I have ripped over 500 of the best movies of all time as well as 100 newer ones from DVD's so as to play them back on our Apple TV's. While not HD, they look damned good and are compatible with our iPhone's and iPod Touch's.

So.....to answer your query....my XBR9 is not my primary panel and Blu-ray movies are a waste of time.

BJ
post #469 of 2888 Old 08-11-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Not rude at all. Here's your answers:

1. My XBR9 is at my beach house in Maine so I can watch sports in HD and make my neighbors green with envy. As if the BMW convertible and the trophy wife weren't enough.

2. My XBR2 is at my primary residence and indeed is hooked up to a Blu-ray player.

3. I only bought a Blu-ray player so as to play back my Sony 1080i hi-def home movies shot on my Sony TG5 as AVCHD files burned onto DVD-R's.

4. I use my Apple TV to stream HD movies to my XBR's. No new movie is decent enough for me to watch more than once these days and I'm done trekking to the store to buy them. Even for a new movie I really like, I'm not going to watch it more than once a year. Most of my movie watching is done on planes, traveling internationally when I'm at 30,000 feet in business class.

5. My friends and I have ripped over 500 of the best movies of all time as well as 100 newer ones from DVD's so as to play them back on our Apple TV's. While not HD, they look damned good and are compatible with our iPhone's and iPod Touch's.

So.....to answer your query....my XBR9 is not my primary panel and Blu-ray movies are a waste of time.

BJ

I would say that is a good reason not to have a blu-ray hooked up. But if its just for your beachhouse and so on and so on. The out-of box settings are plenty good if you're just going to be watching sports and trying to make people jealous. No need to be trying to dig up the best setting. And Blu-ray movies are not a waste of time, the picture and sound quality are not even comparable to a standard DVD if you have eyes and ears which I'm assuming you do.
post #470 of 2888 Old 08-11-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:

And Blu-ray movies are not a waste of time, the picture and sound quality are not even comparable to a standard DVD if you have eyes and ears which I'm assuming you do.

I work in the electronics industry. I know full well what Blu-ray is capable of. My point, and its a personal one, is that movies made today generally suck and thus there's zero point in owning them. I can't think of a single movie made in the last 10 years that made me go "Whoa. I need to watch that 3 times a year."

If I want to watch the Godfather, I'll watch the Godfather. It'll be on DVD on an upscaling player which looks extremely good on my XBR2. Is it "perfect"? Is it Blu-ray quality? No. But it is 90% of the way there and it doesn't force me to go buy another copy of that movie on yet another format for yet another $30.

My kids, well, they watch movies over and over again. I bought Meet The Robinsons on Blu-ray. Looks stellar. Problem is, they want to watch that movie in the car or on their iPod's and Blu-ray is of no use there.

If you want to continue to drag yourself down to Target to purchase Blu-ray's and build a nice collection, have fun. I did that with DVD's and all I've got now are about 200 movies that I purchased that I watched once and never wanted to see again. Apple TV and streaming HD is the answer for me now.

BJ
post #471 of 2888 Old 08-11-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:

I work in the electronics industry. I know full well what Blu-ray is capable of. My point, and its a personal one, is that movies made today generally suck and thus there's zero point in owning them. I can't think of a single movie made in the last 10 years that made me go "Whoa. I need to watch that 3 times a year."

If I want to watch the Godfather, I'll watch the Godfather. It'll be on DVD on an upscaling player which looks extremely good on my XBR2. Is it "perfect"? Is it Blu-ray quality? No. But it is 90% of the way there and it doesn't force me to go buy another copy of that movie on yet another format for yet another $30.

My kids, well, they watch movies over and over again. I bought Meet The Robinsons on Blu-ray. Looks stellar. Problem is, they want to watch that movie in the car or on their iPod's and Blu-ray is of no use there.

If you want to continue to drag yourself down to Target to purchase Blu-ray's and build a nice collection, have fun. I did that with DVD's and all I've got now are about 200 movies that I purchased that I watched once and never wanted to see again. Apple TV and streaming HD is the answer for me now.

BJ

I completely agree with the point that kids always watch them over and over again and it usually in the car when blu-ray is no use. (at least that is how it is in my house). But to say they are a waste of time, in my opinion, isn't true at all.

Like you I amassed a huge DVD collection that is now unwatchable to me because of the poor PQ and sound on DVD. I don't go buy a huge collection because like you I do agree it is 90% crap out there nowadays. But you can still go rent them or order them from Netflix and still get the better sound and PQ then you don't have a huge (and expensive) collection of movies that will be obsolete. That is what I do, that way I can still get the full affect without the problems.

P.S. If you work in electronics how do you not know about cinemotion and what it does?
post #472 of 2888 Old 08-11-2009, 06:26 PM

XxAchillesxX Like you I amassed a huge DVD collection that is now unwatchable to me because of the poor PQ and sound on DVD. I don't go buy a huge collection because like you I do agree it is 90% crap out there nowadays. But you can still go rent them or order them from Netflix and still get the better sound and PQ then you don't have a huge (and expensive) collection of movies that will be obsolete. That is what I do, that way I can still get the full affect without the problems.

Point taken and I may try that. I personally know lots of Netflix fans but I'm not sure I can schedule time in that manner. Usually more impulsive about when and what we watch, movie-wise.

P.S. If you work in electronics how do you not know about cinemotion and what it does?

I was a bit distracted by an office problem while attending the Sony show in Vegas a few months back so I didn't get to attend the numerous presentations that they did on the HDTV line. By the time I got into the demo room to see the widgets and other features they were getting ready to tear the show down and the presenters had left and the internet connection at Caesar's was dicey. Also, at that time, I wasn't personally in the market for another TV.....that happened because my son wanted Rockband for the 360 so we had to relocate my V2500 to the basement leaving a void at the summer place.

So....what's Cinemotion and what is its impact to a) movies and b) live sports? Thanks.

BJ
post #473 of 2888 Old 08-11-2009, 06:44 PM

I just purchased an 46" XBR9 and have some clouding issues...
The overall PQ is impressive, but I find the clouding a little troubling when watching the display at night with the lights off. Since others have posted this same issue is this just something XBR9 users have to live with or should I try swaping for another display?

Do we have any XBR9 owners out there experiencing little to no clouding, because my display has the issue badly when watching in total darkness and the screen goes black...
post #474 of 2888 Old 08-11-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Name|ess View Post

I just purchased an 46" XBR9 and have some clouding issues...
The overall PQ is impressive, but I find the clouding a little troubling when watching the display at night with the lights off. Since others have posted this same issue is this just something XBR9 users have to live with or should I try swaping for another display?

Do we have any XBR9 owners out there experiencing little to no clouding, because my display has the issue badly when watching in total darkness and the screen goes black...

I have a little clouding. And I'll let you in on a little secret:

Every single LCD HDTV in every home in America has a little clouding. It's just the way the technology works. There are some who crank the backlight down to 2 and, yeah, that'll get rid of the clouding all right, but that'll make for a very dark picture too.

The good news? Your issue happens "in total darkness when the screen goes black". So in normal lighting conditions when actually watching programming, you're okay.

There are settings posted in this thread; check some of them out and see if it improves things. But in all honesty, you don't want to become one of those cloud-seekers, looking for the imperfections that are only visible when the panel isn't doing its job. Isn't showing an image. What the TV does when the screen is black is immaterial; its all about what it does when there's something to see.

BJ
post #475 of 2888 Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:

XxAchillesxX Like you I amassed a huge DVD collection that is now unwatchable to me because of the poor PQ and sound on DVD. I don't go buy a huge collection because like you I do agree it is 90% crap out there nowadays. But you can still go rent them or order them from Netflix and still get the better sound and PQ then you don't have a huge (and expensive) collection of movies that will be obsolete. That is what I do, that way I can still get the full affect without the problems.

Point taken and I may try that. I personally know lots of Netflix fans but I'm not sure I can schedule time in that manner. Usually more impulsive about when and what we watch, movie-wise.

I was a bit distracted by an office problem while attending the Sony show in Vegas a few months back so I didn't get to attend the numerous presentations that they did on the HDTV line. By the time I got into the demo room to see the widgets and other features they were getting ready to tear the show down and the presenters had left and the internet connection at Caesar's was dicey. Also, at that time, I wasn't personally in the market for another TV.....that happened because my son wanted Rockband for the 360 so we had to relocate my V2500 to the basement leaving a void at the summer place.

So....what's Cinemotion and what is its impact to a) movies and b) live sports? Thanks.

BJ

BJ

I'm not the most technical person in the world so some of my words may not be totally correct, but since you know more techy stuff you'll get the picture. Motionflow does the thing were it adds in more frames to make it smoother while cinemotion does the 3:2 reverse pulldown. When using a combo of them like "high" and "auto 1" you get a super smooth picture but you do get the ghosting and halos. So I go with it on "standard" and "auto 1" and it still looks super smooth but you don't get the halos and ghosting.

To each his own though so I suggest to people to just figure out what combo you like best. I hope that at least helps some what.
post #476 of 2888 Old 08-12-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:

I'm still trying to decide between this and the B750.

I, too, am undecided between these two (in 46"). Samsung quality control concerns me. I called their technical/customer service line last week to gently ask about this problem and was told by a rather nervous a Samsung employee: "We are not allowed to talk about that."

Any problems with Sony QC? Should I buy through Amazon or at a brick and mortar? Extended warranty?

Obviously, this is my first move to a flat screen. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks AVS!
post #477 of 2888 Old 08-12-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgordo2 View Post

I, too, am undecided between these two (in 46"). Samsung quality control concerns me. I called their technical/customer service line last week to gently ask about this problem and was told by a rather nervous a Samsung employee: "We are not allowed to talk about that."

Any problems with Sony QC? Should I buy through Amazon or at a brick and mortar? Extended warranty?

Obviously, this is my first move to a flat screen. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks AVS!

First off, welcome aboard.

To answer your questions:

Sony's QC is outstanding. Can't go wrong. Choosing Sony over other brands on the quality scale is always a good move.

Buy from Best Buy. 30 day return policy, no-questions-asked. Amazon, if something's wrong, you have to ship it back and that's a PITA.

No extended warranty. It's a scam.

Lastly, if you're new to flat screen perhaps you're new to HD. If that's the case, remember that a great picture is obtained by tweaking not just the TV (you'll get great advice in this thread) but also tweaking your DVR, Blu-ray, game console, and other settings. Utilize the AVS forums for advice on those devices as well.

BJ
post #478 of 2888 Old 08-13-2009, 05:32 AM

Should I use the 8-4-09 Sony Firmware Update for my KDL-32XVR9 TV set? The set was made May 2009. I can't see any big problems with the set but maybe the quality could be improved with the update? Thanks.
post #479 of 2888 Old 08-13-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:

Tried both, no cigar. The XBR-1's were much better built and have higher quality (and Sony original) components...all made AND assembled in JAPAN. All current XBR 8's and 9's are assembled in Mexico and their components are made by the Sammy folks. I was lucky enough to own a 40" XBR-1..had it for 5 years now (and counting) very solid picture, has built in fan, very heavy....not as many bells and whistles as the current XBR 9's...but a fine built TV nontheless....no clicks, no overheating, etc...just too bad they did'nt make a 46" version of the XBR-1's

I'm afraid Sony's workmanship has gone downhill over the past couple of years. Looks like my next TV purchase in 2018 (a 46" OLED) will be a Sammy or Toshiba.

Have to say I agree. I have the 40" XBR 1 and have been very happy with it. Now looking for another TV for a different room and am considering either the XBR 9 or the LG LH90 which I've heard good things about.

For your TV Guide "no data" issues, the XBR 1's also have that and if you're not getting any info I believe that is a cable company issue not transmitting it to save bandwith/signal. Mine works for over the air broadcasts but not when hooked up to cable (we have Comcast). Then again, "work" and "Comcast" don't go together in the same sentence. LOL

Good luck.
post #480 of 2888 Old 08-13-2009, 08:11 AM

Looking at picking one of these up. Bought a 52 Sony S model and it doesn't have variable audio out for my sub plus the picture is not the greatest. I hope the XBR picture is a big difference. Is there a new model coming out? Just wondering why the big price drops recently.

Dan
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 32xbr9 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 46xbr9 46 Inch 1080p 240hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 52xbr9 52 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 40xbr9 40 Inch 1080p 240hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page