The Official KDL...XBR9 Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well it looks like I'll be picking up a 46xbr9 from Fry's in about a week when they come in. They had a very special price and sold out. I have a rain check.

This makes the set cost quite a bit less than the Z which is what I had been interested in originally. When I saw the xbr I really liked the compact design and so I'm really happy to get it at this special price. I've got my fingers crossed that it works out.

Does anyone think the 46Z would be preferable to the XBR in any way?

My 4 year old Sharp Aquos 30" just died on me. I think the power supply went. In a way I'm glad
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 05:50 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by watts2 View Post

When I first got this T.V. it had some preset yahoo weather locations that would display the name and temp in the box on the screen without doing anything but hitting the widgets button. I deleted all the cities and added the city I live in. Now when I hit the widgets button the box says yahoo weather NOT my city with the temp as it did with the pre-canned cities. I have to click on the box to get the weather. Does anybody know how to get it to display the city and temp without having to click on the button?

Thanks

i can't help you specifically because i just kept trying things, deleting cities, adding mine, saving, docking undocking, etc.

i eventually got it to work, but it was kind of annoying.

anyway, i know someone posted how to do this a few pages back from when i first read this thread before i got the tv. i just never looked for it after i actually had the tv.
post #633 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh4645 View Post

i can't help you specifically because i just kept trying things, deleting cities, adding mine, saving, docking undocking, etc.

i eventually got it to work, but it was kind of annoying.

anyway, i know someone posted how to do this a few pages back from when i first read this thread before i got the tv. i just never looked for it after i actually had the tv.

Does anyone use the remote that comes with the TV anyway? I was all excited about the Yahoo widgetry at first too, but the information just isn't necessary to have at your fingertips all the time and I use my DirecTV remote anyway. Just pointing out as a two-month XBR9 owner that once you have it for a few weeks, those widgets become very unneccessary so there's really no reason to get all stressed out about trying to make them work if you can't. Your smartphone is a much better way to get at the same information.

BJ
post #634 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post

Does anyone use the remote that comes with the TV anyway? I was all excited about the Yahoo widgetry at first too, but the information just isn't necessary to have at your fingertips all the time and I use my DirecTV remote anyway. Just pointing out as a two-month XBR9 owner that once you have it for a few weeks, those widgets become very unneccessary so there's really no reason to get all stressed out about trying to make them work if you can't. Your smartphone is a much better way to get at the same information.

BJ

...or the laptop that is sitting right next to you with the vista sidebar with a weather widget...or firefox with the weather add on in the status bar. hah

yes i use the remote that came with the tv...mainly to just change inputs/scene modes. everything else is done with my dvr remote.
post #635 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I think I have almost decided on the xbr9/z5100 over the sharp 700un.

Has anyone tried this tv out on game mode?

If so, how does it look, and can you adjust any picture settings?

1000 internets to anybody that has test for input lag either via a crt and tv hooked to pc or rock band 2's photo sensor guitar!

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #636 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

I think I have almost decided on the xbr9/z5100 over the sharp 700un.

Has anyone tried this tv out on game mode?

If so, how does it look, and can you adjust any picture settings?

1000 internets to anybody that has test for input lag either via a crt and tv hooked to pc or rock band 2's photo sensor guitar!

i've played games on with my ps3 and 360. looks great...and the fact that this tv accepts 1080p through component (i have the original xbox 360) helps (my xbr3 only did 1080i)

yes, you can edit game mode just like any of the other scenes (cinema, sports, picture, game, general, auto and like one or two others)
post #637 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm in the same boat as i'm sure others are between the 46xbr9 and the 46z5100.For the life of me i cant seem to make up my mind yet.Wondering if the wide color gamut is really necessary(not sure what it does).
post #638 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

I'm in the same boat as i'm sure others are between the 46xbr9 and the 46z5100.For the life of me i cant seem to make up my mind yet.Wondering if the wide color gamut is really necessary(not sure what it does).

Deeper more vidid colors that could be perceived to be unnatural. The feature probably can be disabled.

Wide color gamut is more marketing hype than anything else. The Z5100 is essentially the same set (ie. same panel, native contrast, dynamic contrast and same features) with the exception of the wide color gamut mode and different bezel design.

If the XBR9 is near the same price go for it, otherwise go for the Z5100.

Personally to me the XBR9 series is too close to the standard line to justify the expense of it. Now the XBR8 with its LED design completely justifies its price difference.

post #639 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

Deeper more vidid colors that could be perceived to be unnatural. The feature probably can be disabled.

Wide color gamut is more marketing hype than anything else. The Z5100 is essentially the same set (ie. same panel, native contrast, dynamic contrast and same features) with the exception of the wide color gamut mode and different bezel design.

If the XBR9 is near the same price go for it, otherwise go for the Z5100.

Personally to me the XBR9 series is too close to the standard line to justify the expense of it. Now the XBR8 with its LED design completely justifies its price difference.

good to know.Thanks.Now to decide if the xbr9 is really worth the extra 300.
post #640 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

good to know.Thanks.Now to decide if the xbr9 is really worth the extra 300.

I'm trying to decide between the Z5100 and the XBR9 as well.

One factor that would definitely sway me one way or the other... Is there any evidence that the Z5100 would be less likely to have uneven back-lighting (clouds) than the XBR9?

I love the XBR's but it's always the luck of the draw when it comes to this.

A_C

Manhattan Supremacist
post #641 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 04:17 PM

Screen Door Effect:
Has anyone found a setting that helps to get rid of this effect. What's weird is that it only occurs on some of my HD channels. I have cable (vs satellite) and on some of the channels it is more prevalent. And, it never occurs on any kind of movie (standard or Blu Ray). Is this problem a function of the quality of the source? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #642 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uagrad2001 View Post

Screen Door Effect:
Has anyone found a setting that helps to get rid of this effect. What's weird is that it only occurs on some of my HD channels. I have cable (vs satellite) and on some of the channels it is more prevalent. And, it never occurs on any kind of movie (standard or Blu Ray). Is this problem a function of the quality of the source? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

whats it look like?

i have not seen this
post #643 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 04:37 PM

Looks like you are looking through a screen door. Happens when the camera pans quickly then once the panning stops, the picture becomes clear again. But there is a brief moment after the camera stops moving the screen isn't very sharp. Then all of a sudden the details become crisp again.

What do you have your Sharpness setting set to?
post #644 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks like you are looking through a screen door. Happens when the camera pans quickly then once the panning stops, the picture becomes clear again. But there is a brief moment after the camera stops moving the screen isn't very sharp. Then all of a sudden the details become crisp again.

What you are describing is not screen door effect which is static and only visible up close. It sounds like you are describing an effect that occurs when you have noise reduction setting cranked up too high. Or, its macroblocking due to poor source. Bluray has the bandwidth to avoid bit starvation, cable and satellite may not.
post #645 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is this the effect you're describing? Or this?

The first is Pixilation a/k/a Micro-blocking and is the result of video compression your cable or satellite provider uses to maximize bandwidth.

The second is actually the 'screen door' effect, which I've never seen on an XBR; (and I've owned 3)

A_C

Manhattan Supremacist
post #646 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

My first impressions of my new 52 xbr9.
I need to do some adjusting on the satellite input. Looks good out of the box but my sxrd xbr1 has a better picture. I watched some HD football on both at the same time and the pixelation wascdriving me crazy on the xbr. I switched it to sports and the picture improved dramatically. Better than the xbr1. It is nice to see the xbr9 accepts the 1080/24 signal from directv. My initial impression is better than I thught it would be, very happy so far.

Next I hooked up a Lg Bd300 and set the output to 24hz. Wow! The blu Ray on the xbr9 is stunning! No comparison to the sxrd xbr 1. I did not know it could look that good, and I still have not made any adjustments. Looks like I am going to spent a lot of time in front of the tv this weekend.
post #647 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_C View Post

Is this the effect you're describing? Or this?

The first is Pixilation a/k/a Micro-blocking and is the result of video compression your cable or satellite provider uses to maximize bandwidth.

The second is actually the 'screen door' effect, which I've never seen on an XBR; (and I've owned 3)

A_C

It definitely doesn't look like screen door effect photo you listed. But it doesn't quite look like the micro-blocking photo either. The sample photo shows it in just a small part of the overall pictures. The problem I am referring to occurs when the camera is panning and it's like the overall picture looses crisp detail. Once the camera stops it takes about 1/4 a second to crisp back up. The details do look "blocky" so maybe it is a micro/macro-blocking problem. Does that make sense? My apologies if I am not describing it well. I do appreciate the help. The problems tends to occur more frequently on a nature scene (leaves and fine details).

Is that micro/macro-blocking?
post #648 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

What you are describing is not screen door effect which is static and only visible up close. It sounds like you are describing an effect that occurs when you have noise reduction setting cranked up too high. Or, its macroblocking due to poor source. Bluray has the bandwidth to avoid bit starvation, cable and satellite may not.

I have MPEG Noise Reduction Off. But I did look up more examples of the screen door effect and it definitely isn't that.
post #649 of 2891 Old 09-03-2009, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have MPEG Noise Reduction Off. But I did look up more examples of the screen door effect and it definitely isn't that.

With what source are you experiencing the problem? A cable or satellite source can be overcompressed and result in loss of detail during motion or complex scenes (like fire and waves). OTOH, a Bluray is more likely to stay sharp.
post #650 of 2891 Old 09-04-2009, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It definitely doesn't look like screen door effect photo you listed. But it doesn't quite look like the micro-blocking photo either. The sample photo shows it in just a small part of the overall pictures. The problem I am referring to occurs when the camera is panning and it's like the overall picture looses crisp detail. Once the camera stops it takes about 1/4 a second to crisp back up. The details do look "blocky" so maybe it is a micro/macro-blocking problem. Does that make sense? My apologies if I am not describing it well. I do appreciate the help. The problems tends to occur more frequently on a nature scene (leaves and fine details).

Is that micro/macro-blocking?

Panns aye... It sounds like one of 2 things to me; either micro-blocking or possibly 'Judder'.

A_C

Manhattan Supremacist
post #651 of 2891 Old 09-04-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:

With what source are you experiencing the problem? A cable or satellite source can be overcompressed and result in loss of detail during motion or complex scenes (like fire and waves). OTOH, a Bluray is more likely to stay sharp.

It occurs on a cable input. It never occurs on a DVD or BluRay. So I'm thinking it's just a function of the input and not the TV.

Are micro and macro blocking the same thing.
post #652 of 2891 Old 09-04-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:

It occurs on a cable input. It never occurs on a DVD or BluRay. So I'm thinking it's just a function of the input and not the TV.

Are micro and macro blocking the same thing.

Try setting your Sharpness to Zero, or at most +1 or +2. Sharpness is a relic from past TV technology that really has no place in today's higher definition LCD and Plasmas, etc. I could see this when I got a HD Calibration DVD and did the Sharpness test pattern, all sharpness does is bring extra noise/information to the picture that isn't supposed to be there. It should be turned off or at a bare minimum.
post #653 of 2891 Old 09-04-2009, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post

Connect your XBR9 to the internet via the port on the rear of the panel. Drill through the menu to the software updates, let it update, and your problem should be solved. If you cannot connect the panel to the internet, go to www.sonystyle.com and search customer service and you can update the software via a USB thumb drive.

BJ

We ordered the update from Sony, updated the tv(went from 85-89) but it is still shutting right off after you turn it on a couple times. Not sure if it had any affect but when the tv was supposed to turn itself on during the update it turned off real quick, we waited around 20minutes and then turned the tv on when nothing happened. It said the update updated and it seemed to fix the time that would not stay set but the tv still shuts off right after turning it on and you have to turn it on like 3 or 4 times to get it to finally stay on which is ridiculous and probably not good for the tv. Any suggestions.
post #654 of 2891 Old 09-04-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post

Try setting your Sharpness to Zero, or at most +1 or +2. Sharpness is a relic from past TV technology that really has no place in today's higher definition LCD and Plasmas, etc. I could see this when I got a HD Calibration DVD and did the Sharpness test pattern, all sharpness does is bring extra noise/information to the picture that isn't supposed to be there. It should be turned off or at a bare minimum.

Thanks. I made the sharpness adjustment

I did some google searches for macroblocking images and that is definitely what I am seeing. So am I safe to assume this is only due to issues with the input (compression, etc) and not the TV?
post #655 of 2891 Old 09-04-2009, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I made the sharpness adjustment

I did some google searches for macroblocking images and that is definitely what I am seeing. So am I safe to assume this is only due to issues with the input (compression, etc) and not the TV?

Its most likely the source, not the TV. Garbage in = garbage out. Overcompression is not exactly rare with cable companies trying to squeeze multiple HD channels down a narrow pipe. Same with OTA and sub-channels.
post #656 of 2891 Old 09-05-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Its most likely the source, not the TV. Garbage in = garbage out. Overcompression is not exactly rare with cable companies trying to squeeze multiple HD channels down a narrow pipe. Same with OTA and sub-channels.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I hope you guys are enjoying your XBR9 as much as I am.
post #657 of 2891 Old 09-05-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencewhiz View Post

I just bought a KDL-32XBR9 and have had a few minor audio problems when it's hooked up to my Tivo HD. Whenever I fast foward or do something else that causes tivo to overlay a sound, the TV doesn't play the sound, but sometimes has a crackle or a pop. When this happens, it mutes the sound for a second and then ramps the sound up to normal over a few seconds. Occasionally when it does this, I also see some artifacts on the screen (horizontal lines at the top of the picture) that scroll off. It also pops sometimes when switching resolutions (IE 1080i to 720p).

I assume this is some type of dynamic processing to even the sound out, but it's very annoying with the Tivo. I haven't been able to figure out how to turn it off. It happens both with the TV speakers and when the sound is through my receiver with RCA cables.

I bought a new kdl32xbr9 in June and I happily returned it to the dealer 2 months later. The tv was simply connected to Comcast digital cable and a new Samsung 3600 blu-ray, but it made in all modes a static-like sound, similar to cross-channel interference. I spent the 2 months having Comcast come to analyze their devices, my replacing the RG6 coax, having the authorized repair firm come to replace the audio board, and having Sony replace the set with another new one with the same problem. How could Sony release a tv to production with what they must have known to have a problem engineered into it?
post #658 of 2891 Old 09-05-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrangiamore View Post

I bought a new kdl32xbr9 in June and I happily returned it to the dealer 2 months later. The tv was simply connected to Comcast digital cable and a new Samsung 3600 blu-ray, but it made in all modes a static-like sound, similar to cross-channel interference. I spent the 2 months having Comcast come to analyze their devices, my replacing the RG6 coax, having the authorized repair firm come to replace the audio board, and having Sony replace the set with another new one with the same problem. How could Sony release a tv to production with what they must have known to have a problem engineered into it?

who knows

but fyi to everyone else that might not know...the 32" is totally different than the bigger sizes in the xbr9
post #659 of 2891 Old 09-05-2009, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Will a linksys wireless g gaming adapter work on the xbr9 to access widgets feature and online content?

If not what will work other than wired.
post #660 of 2891 Old 09-05-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus123 View Post

We ordered the update from Sony, updated the tv(went from 85-89) but it is still shutting right off after you turn it on a couple times. Not sure if it had any affect but when the tv was supposed to turn itself on during the update it turned off real quick, we waited around 20minutes and then turned the tv on when nothing happened. It said the update updated and it seemed to fix the time that would not stay set but the tv still shuts off right after turning it on and you have to turn it on like 3 or 4 times to get it to finally stay on which is ridiculous and probably not good for the tv. Any suggestions.

It's defective. Return it from where you bought it, get a new one, update the firmware and you'll be all set.

BJ
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 32xbr9 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 46xbr9 46 Inch 1080p 240hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 52xbr9 52 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 40xbr9 40 Inch 1080p 240hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread - 40xbr9 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page