Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2890 Old 05-23-2009, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarris214 View Post

Sorry to give you bad news but the 32 XBR9 is not the same as the 40'' and up models.

I know that but I'd still like to get the best possible PQ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2890 Old 05-24-2009, 09:07 PM

I couldn't find any calibration settings in this thread; has anyone seen one other than what cnet put out?
post #93 of 2890 Old 05-25-2009, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Viewed the XBR9 40" yesterday at BB adjacent to the Samsung B7000 or 7100.
The BB Rep thought it was the best panel in the store as I viewed and I agreed that it looked great but the price differential versus a B750 made no sense and his comment but it's got 240Hz and I noted so does the B750 which I could acquire for about a grand less.

Obviously could not compare it to a B750 with none nearby at all but the XBR9 surpassed the Samsung LED in what I'd called PQ 3D depth and details vs the Samsung and other panels nearby - it would seem that BE3 may be providing the PQ details especially in it's blacks and I would hope that when the 65" W5100 debuts it would have BE3 also.

I really liked the thin bezel and it was not overstated like many of Sony XBR panels in the past and intriguing how they seem to hide the speakers with that thin bezel (width not depth). Bottom line to my eyes it was the best PQ I've seen on a Sony LCD with shadow details that used to shine on the SXRD's WoW factor with HD Movies at 60-70". Had they not hiked the MSRP to nearly double what I can get an XBR6 for I'd buy one now as I cannot justify the price for a 40" for secondary viewing room like our bedroom but if it were my main HT panel in a 65" I very well may.

For those willing to jump as an early adopter your welcome to pave the way for the rest of us as it was clearly one of the best panels in the store IMO - perhaps the best but I won't state that without having had a side-by-side with a Samsung B750 or 8000 Series LED - however, it was the best performing/looking Sony flat panel LCD I've ever seen - easily besting other Sony panels in the store. Enjoy!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #94 of 2890 Old 05-26-2009, 07:27 AM

No matter what channel I'm on through my Dish box (HD or SD), when I push the info button on the remote it always says 480p. Any ideas? I have the TV and Dish box going into my Denon 2309 via HDMI. Picture for sure looks ten times better with the HD channels, just wondering why the TV is not picking it up.
post #95 of 2890 Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog4871 View Post

No matter what channel I'm on through my Dish box (HD or SD), when I push the info button on the remote it always says 480p. Any ideas? I have the TV and Dish box going into my Denon 2309 via HDMI. Picture for sure looks ten times better with the HD channels, just wondering why the TV is not picking it up.

Make sure the Denon is sending HDMI to TV.I haven't had dish in about a year, but this should help: 1. Check to see that Dish is connected with either Component of HDMI cables. Your TV display should give you the answer, to that, by pushing the input button on the TV remote. 2. Go to the menu button on your Dish remote. Go to selection HDTV. that should give a choice if 480, 720, or 1080. Always select 1080i for HD image.

If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life.
Henry David Thoreau
post #96 of 2890 Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreally View Post

Make sure the Denon is sending HDMI to TV.I haven't had dish in about a year, but this should help: 1. Check to see that Dish is connected with either Component of HDMI cables. Your TV display should give you the answer, to that, by pushing the input button on the TV remote. 2. Go to the menu button on your Dish remote. Go to selection HDTV. that should give a choice if 480, 720, or 1080. Always select 1080i for HD image.

Well, that makes perfect sense!
Thank you, now it is coming through as 1080i, not sure how it got switched.
post #97 of 2890 Old 05-27-2009, 02:11 PM

The Gents who stated they bought the sets, as stated above, seemed to have fallen off the face of the earth, as I look for their comments.
The first fellow- I sent a private message and never got a reply.

What I ask is - How good or better is the BE3 processor in the new Sony TVs?

Not everything I would watch with DISH as a source is in HD, so how good or bad is SD on the XBR9 or Z5100 46" sets???

I just returned from a trip to Sears here in No. VA. They had a Sony52XBR9 next to a Samsung Ln52B750. The PQ looked the same with the Sears Canned SOurce of some kind. SO it hard to tell how they are in the real world.

Across the street was BestBuy. They had a Sony 46Z5100 operating on a BLURAY Demo disk of some kind. It looked nice. SOme have commented about the Side inputs. Well- the side inputs are NOT on the very edge but back about 6 inches. So any cable would not show. SO that is not an issue. The bezel is nice & thin. The TV does not look large. PQ looks nice. But again, this is not the real world.
I'd like to hear how these new SONY sets really look like and what is the actual SD PQ from a Dish or Directv source.
Any one out there with more info?
thanks,
post #98 of 2890 Old 05-27-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQCQDX View Post

The Gents who stated they bought the sets, as stated above, seemed to have fallen off the face of the earth, as I look for their comments.
The first fellow- I sent a private message and never got a reply.

What I ask is - How good or better is the BE3 processor in the new Sony TVs?

Not everything I would watch with DISH as a source is in HD, so how good or bad is SD on the XBR9 or Z5100 46" sets???

I just returned from a trip to Sears here in No. VA. They had a Sony52XBR9 next to a Samsung Ln52B750. The PQ looked the same with the Sears Canned SOurce of some kind. SO it hard to tell how they are in the real world.

Across the street was BestBuy. They had a Sony 46Z5100 operating on a BLURAY Demo disk of some kind. It looked nice. SOme have commented about the Side inputs. Well- the side inputs are NOT on the very edge but back about 6 inches. So any cable would not show. SO that is not an issue. The bezel is nice & thin. The TV does not look large. PQ looks nice. But again, this is not the real world.
I'd like to hear how these new SONY sets really look like and what is the actual SD PQ from a Dish or Directv source.
Any one out there with more info?
thanks,

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. I think SD stuff still looks really good on the XBR9. I've been searching for more calibration settings and only came across what cNet put out. I have really enjoyed the NBA playoffs in HD, simply amazing.
post #99 of 2890 Old 05-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

The BB Rep thought it was the best panel in the store as I viewed and I agreed that it looked great but the price differential versus a B750 made no sense and his comment but it's got 240Hz and I noted so does the B750 which I could acquire for about a grand less.

Obviously could not compare it to a B750 with none nearby at all but the XBR9 surpassed the Samsung LED in what I'd called PQ 3D depth and details vs the Samsung and other panels nearby - it would seem that BE3 may be providing the PQ details especially in it's blacks and I would hope that when the 65" W5100 debuts it would have BE3 also.

I really liked the thin bezel and it was not overstated like many of Sony XBR panels in the past and intriguing how they seem to hide the speakers with that thin bezel (width not depth). Bottom line to my eyes it was the best PQ I've seen on a Sony LCD with shadow details that used to shine on the SXRD's WoW factor with HD Movies at 60-70". Had they not hiked the MSRP to nearly double what I can get an XBR6 for I'd buy one now as I cannot justify the price for a 40" for secondary viewing room like our bedroom but if it were my main HT panel in a 65" I very well may.

For those willing to jump as an early adopter your welcome to pave the way for the rest of us as it was clearly one of the best panels in the store IMO - perhaps the best but I won't state that without having had a side-by-side with a Samsung B750 or 8000 Series LED - however, it was the best performing/looking Sony flat panel LCD I've ever seen - easily besting other Sony panels in the store. Enjoy!

Cnet did a review of the 52" B750 vs Sony XBR9 and other top end TV's: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-33490659.html

Some of their conclusions:

Quote:

The Samsung LNB750 series is the best-performing LCD we've tested aside from the LED-backlit Samsung A950 and Sony XBR8 models. It delivers the staples--deep black levels and accurate color--and adds solid uniformity and a nicely customizable dejudder mode. The reflective screen is still an issue, but otherwise this set gets most everything right.

and

Quote:

Black level: The overall depth of black achieved by the Samsung LNB750 surpassed that of the other LCDs, including the company's own edge-lit model in all but the darkest scenes, although it wasn't as dark as that of the plasmas. The closest competitor was the Sony XBR9, but in very dark areas--like the building in the foreground, the letterbox bars and Jude's black leather jacket during the alleyway goodbye tryst in Chapter 3--the B750 got just a bit darker. Its black levels were significantly deeper than either the A650 or the Toshiba, and closer overall to the other sets.

finally

Quote:

Uniformity: The screen of the LNB750 is more uniform across its surface than many LCDs we've tested, including the Samsung 7000, the Toshiba, and the Sony XBR9. It didn't suffer from overtly brighter corners as the 7000 and the XBR9 did, although in flat field test patterns we did notice the edges of the LNB750's screen appeared slightly brighter than the middle.

So for nearly a grand less it pretty much beats the XBR9 across the board. Doesn't really seem worth spending more on the Sony unless there's a specific feature it offers that someone needs (I don't see any) or brand loyalty. Amazon has a $400 off coupon right now for the 52" so you can grab one for about $2064 shipped (I just ordered one yesterday). If Sony had priced the XBR9 more competitively, I'd have gone with them instead of Samsung. I hate Samsung customer service and wanted an alternative but couldn't find one within a good price range, what a shame.
post #100 of 2890 Old 05-28-2009, 12:44 AM

Just received my XBR9 yesterday. The motionplus at high setting is mesmerizing. Heads and shoulders above my Samsung 650. I'm having trouble getting the skin tones to look right though. My previous sets had a setting for red, green, and blue which I calibrated using video esssentials, but I am not sure how you do it with this model. The wide color setting which CNET recommended turning off, seemed to add pop to the colors to my eyes. Not sure why they would want to turn it off.
post #101 of 2890 Old 05-28-2009, 05:36 AM

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

I am using a kdl-32xbr9 as a bedroom TV. At low volume levels (1-7), the
audio sounds distorted - especially noticeable when listening to plain talking
(like watching a news broadcast). It's like a constant, low level distorted audio
that is always there, even when you turn up the volume. But at low volume, it
is loud enough to mask the normal audio. This occurs from both an antenna
source and a blu-ray source.
post #102 of 2890 Old 05-28-2009, 05:50 AM

I noticed the tv sound was a little screetchy at first, but toned it down with the bass and treble controls.
post #103 of 2890 Old 05-28-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu934 View Post

I noticed the tv sound was a little screetchy at first, but toned it down with the bass and treble controls.

I just tried this but it had no effect on the problem. It's not that there is
unrelated background noise at low volume, but it's that at low volume the
program audio itself is very distorted.
post #104 of 2890 Old 05-28-2009, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150Joker View Post

So for nearly a grand less it pretty much beats the XBR9 across the board. Doesn't really seem worth spending more on the Sony unless there's a specific feature it offers that someone needs (I don't see any) or brand loyalty. Amazon has a $400 off coupon right now for the 52" so you can grab one for about $2064 shipped (I just ordered one yesterday). If Sony had priced the XBR9 more competitively, I'd have gone with them instead of Samsung. I hate Samsung customer service and wanted an alternative but couldn't find one within a good price range, what a shame.

First off, Samsung advertises heavily on CNet's Television review site.

Secondly, right now on amazon.com the price difference between the XBR9 and B750 @ 52" is only $280, not $1000.

Third, the XBR9 has a matte screen, while the Samsung has a glossy screen. Each has pros and cons (I prefer matte... even if glossy can give a better crunched black level)

Forth, game mode on the XBR9 (or any sony for that matter) allows the user to set the color temp to "Warm" settings, where as the samsung disables warm color temps with game mode on.

Fifth, viewing angle is better on the XBR9 than the B750.

I hope these points sink in...
post #105 of 2890 Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 View Post

Yet they gave the XBR 8 the nod over the A950. Not really a valid argument there.

Quote:

Secondly, right now on amazon.com the price difference between the XBR9 and B750 @ 52" is only $280, not $1000.

Nah, with the Amazon Samsung coupon going on right now ($400 instant off) it's about $750 difference.

Quote:

Third, the XBR9 has a matte screen, while the Samsung has a glossy screen. Each has pros and cons (I prefer matte... even if glossy can give a better crunched black level)

Now that's a valid reason.

Quote:

Forth, game mode on the XBR9 (or any sony for that matter) allows the user to set the color temp to "Warm" settings, where as the samsung disables warm color temps with game mode on.

You can change just about everything in game mode with the new Samsungs under game mode.

Quote:

From CNET: "The LNB750 did seem to wash out and lose black-level depth a bit faster than the XBR9 when seen from off-angle"

A bit faster doesn't sound like much does it? I'm curious about Sony customer service though. I absolutely hate Samsung customer service and would dread having to deal with them again - that's why I'd have purchased the XBR 9 if it was the same price as the Samsung.
post #106 of 2890 Old 05-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yet they gave the XBR 8 the nod over the A950. Not really a valid argument there.

The "one" exception...

Quote:

Nah, with the Amazon Samsung coupon going on right now ($400 instant off) it's about $750 difference.

So, had the coupon not been in the equation, would you have still gone with the B750?

Quote:

Now that's a valid reason.

You'll find out soon enough.

Quote:

You can change just about everything in game mode with the new Samsungs under game mode.

Sounds like you haven't even checked for yourself... game mode sets the picture mode to "Standard" and warm color temps cannot be set. Same goes for the PC mode (changing the input label to PC, ect.)

Quote:

From CNET: "The LNB750 did seem to wash out and lose black-level depth a bit faster than the XBR9 when seen from off-angle"

A bit faster doesn't sound like much does it? I'm curious about Sony customer service though. I absolutely hate Samsung customer service and would dread having to deal with them again - that's why I'd have purchased the XBR 9 if it was the same price as the Samsung.

Sounds like it was a $400 question to you. Besides, you should have just gone with posting in the B750 thread instead of squatting on this one...
post #107 of 2890 Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The "one" exception...

Must have been one of the few times Sony had a better display.

Quote:

Sounds like you haven't even checked for yourself... game mode sets the picture mode to "Standard" and warm color temps cannot be set. Same goes for the PC mode (changing the input label to PC, ect.)

I receive mine on the 2nd so I haven't checked that aspect yet. I did try it out yesterday but didn't notice the lack of color temp change (most settings were adjustable unlike their A series).

Quote:

Sounds like it was a $400 question to you.

I'd say a $750 question...

Quote:

Besides, you should have just gone with posting in the B750 thread instead of squatting on this one...

No need to get defensive, I'm just wondering what makes the XBR 9 worth $750 more than a B750 that got a better rating? You listed matte screen as a selling point (I hate matte so it doesn't apply to me) but that is one valid issue buyers have - the color temp adjustment doesn't seem like a big deal. Nothing else I've seen could warrant the desire for the XBR 9 unless customer service is one of the reasons (to me this would be a huge reason). I have 30 days to return the Samsung so if Sony drops the price, I could always grab one.
post #108 of 2890 Old 05-28-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

there is absolutely no matter of price drop on the XBR9.It is more expensive but not at all $750.Sony cant drop the price everytime amazon gets a samsung bonus and puts coupons on their tv's.As for the price difference there is always a Z5100 which I believe is a much more logical choice,as at least in pure performance is equal to XBR9 and cheaper of course
post #109 of 2890 Old 05-28-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammeron56 View Post

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

I am using a kdl-32xbr9 as a bedroom TV. At low volume levels (1-7), the
audio sounds distorted - especially noticeable when listening to plain talking
(like watching a news broadcast). It's like a constant, low level distorted audio
that is always there, even when you turn up the volume. But at low volume, it
is loud enough to mask the normal audio. This occurs from both an antenna
source and a blu-ray source.

I exchanged the TV and the 2nd one also has the same problem. The 2nd set
had the same audio distortion all the way up to level 10 when playing a quiet
talking scene from blu-ray. Maybe it's a bad design or poor quality control,
but this one is going back too.

If you want this TV to use in a low volume setting (i.e. a bedroom TV), then
beware the kdl-32xbr9.
post #110 of 2890 Old 05-28-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammeron56 View Post

I exchanged the TV and the 2nd one also has the same problem. The 2nd set
had the same audio distortion all the way up to level 10 when playing a quiet
talking scene from blu-ray. Maybe it's a bad design or poor quality control,
but this one is going back too.

If you want this TV to use in a low volume setting (i.e. a bedroom TV), then
beware the kdl-32xbr9.

that was issue with last year 52w4100
post #111 of 2890 Old 05-28-2009, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:

They are a little price in the 40" size.
post #112 of 2890 Old 05-29-2009, 02:40 AM

What convinced me to pay extra for the Sony was how well the Motionplus looked. I love the soap opera effect and Sony's version blows away my Sammy 650 in this regard. I have not seen how the newer Samsung models implementation of this technology look, but I can't imagine it getting any better then what I see on the XBR9.
The wide color option was another deal maker for me. You really have to see how the colors pop with this engaged.
post #113 of 2890 Old 05-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The wide color option was another deal maker for me. You really have to see how the colors pop with this engaged.

Yup, that's one of the settings that is not available on the step down Z5100 series.
post #114 of 2890 Old 05-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I hope these points sink in...

Cinema mode on Sony's are set by the movie industry, not the electronics industy. 240Hz is visibly better than 120Hz. Turning wide Color Gamut off means I could get a Z5100 without wide color gamut.

If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life.
Henry David Thoreau
post #115 of 2890 Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just received my XBR9 yesterday. The wide color setting which CNET recommended turning off, seemed to add pop to the colors to my eyes. Not sure why they would want to turn it off.

Because it makes the colors look very artificial and not matched to true colors.
post #116 of 2890 Old 05-29-2009, 10:57 PM

I realize the purists will want to turn it off, and the motionflow setting as well, but for some of us it adds to the entertainment value. That's why I chose the XBR9 over the Pioneer Elite Kuro.
post #117 of 2890 Old 05-30-2009, 07:37 AM

If I was getting flashlighting, would it be something I would see no matter what? I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me but I see something in the uper left hand corner on dark scenes or letterbox. I took some pics this morning (attached) and they seem to point to me being crazy. I will look again tonight when there is no light coming into the basement.

Attachment 144007

Attachment 144008

Attachment 144009
LL
LL
LL
post #118 of 2890 Old 05-30-2009, 11:53 PM

Has any one played any Video games w/ 240 hz on?? Had a B750 and it was horrible w/ 240hz on..Lots of artifacts, screen jumping,tearing.etc.. Have an A750 120hz and it plays flawlessly compared to B750 and LGs 240hz... This is a major concern for me Please let me know
Thanks P.S. Does it have Independent pic. settings memory per input?? Also does the tabletop stand come attached on the 52" ??
post #119 of 2890 Old 05-31-2009, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog4871 View Post

If I was getting flashlighting, would it be something I would see no matter what? I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me but I see something in the uper left hand corner on dark scenes or letterbox. I took some pics this morning (attached) and they seem to point to me being crazy. I will look again tonight when there is no light coming into the basement.

Attachment 144007

Attachment 144008

Attachment 144009

Sorry, But all I see is BLACK and ZERO Flashlighting events in those pic's - why don't you just sit back and enjoy instead of seeking problems? If you look hard event or obsessive enough you can find anything even if it's not truly an artifact of the TV itself but then again perhaps your setting a 100% process target it may be too high as other events can replicate that at times are not the TV's fault - like signal compression from the source - there are many pieces of in your HT Chain and the TV should not take the fall for it all except at these prices that bar certainly should be High I agree.

Enjoy - but I do not see flashlighting as it would be very evident as deep as those blacks are.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #120 of 2890 Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Sorry, But all I see is BLACK and ZERO Flashlighting events in those pic's - why don't you just sit back and enjoy instead of seeking problems? If you look hard event or obsessive enough you can find anything even if it's not truly an artifact of the TV itself but then again perhaps your setting a 100% process target it may be too high as other events can replicate that at times are not the TV's fault - like signal compression from the source - there are many pieces of in your HT Chain and the TV should not take the fall for it all except at these prices that bar certainly should be High I agree.

Enjoy - but I do not see flashlighting as it would be very evident as deep as those blacks are.

That's exactly what I want to rule out....being obsessive for something that isnt there! This is my first LCD and wasn't really sure what or if I should be on the lookout for anything.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 32xbr9 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 46xbr9 46 Inch 1080p 240hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 52xbr9 52 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 40xbr9 40 Inch 1080p 240hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread - 40xbr9 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page