post #181 of 2888 Old 06-20-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu934 View Post

I have two of the sets in the shootout, Samsung 650 and Sony XBR9, and prefer the XBR9 for it's superior motion plus. If you want your Blu-ray movies to look like live video or soap opera, get the Sony. I am currently viewing the Blu-Ray directors version of Woodstock and some of the scenes look like recently filmed news footage which is a bit eerie since this was 40 years ago. On the other hand, you could probably get the same effect with less expensive models from the Sony line. I did get a chance to compare the XBR8 with an XBR9 in a darker viewing room at a dealer and could see a noticeable difference in black level performance with the XBR8 clearing outperforming the XBR9. The price difference is pretty significant though between the two sets.

depends on the size. the 46xbr8 is at an all time low right now on amazon and is only $350 more than the 46xbr9 . of course the 55xbr8 is all but discontinued.

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2888 Old 06-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu934 View Post

I have two of the sets in the shootout, Samsung 650 and Sony XBR9, and prefer the XBR9 for it's superior motion plus. If you want your Blu-ray movies to look like live video or soap opera, get the Sony. I am currently viewing the Blu-Ray directors version of Woodstock and some of the scenes look like recently filmed news footage which is a bit eerie since this was 40 years ago. On the other hand, you could probably get the same effect with less expensive models from the Sony line. I did get a chance to compare the XBR8 with an XBR9 in a darker viewing room at a dealer and could see a noticeable difference in black level performance with the XBR8 clearing outperforming the XBR9. The price difference is pretty significant though between the two sets.

I agree but NO WAY am i going to spend 4.5K on the XBR8 or even 3.5K on the Samsung A950 which are both superior LED local dimming sets.
post #183 of 2888 Old 06-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Sounds like a great deal. If I were in the market for a 46 incher, the XBR8 would be a no brainer over the XBR9 for that small a price difference.
post #184 of 2888 Old 06-21-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmassung View Post

OK, Right now I have about had it with SONY! I had the 50 inch XBR1 LCOS TV, very nice picture. Then I had a problem which cost $100 to repair, then the bulb went out, ~$450 ish for cleaning and installation, then I got the green blob.... 4, literally, visits by the service guy with brand new guts and they gave me a refurb TV. 6 months later, it will not turn on... at 9 .................

I've called Sony, talked with them several times; i've sent them pictures and video showing the problem. They understand the issue and are working on a solution.

I'm extremely pleased with Sony at this point! Let's see how this turns out in the next couple of weeks through resolution.

Tom
post #185 of 2888 Old 06-21-2009, 10:44 AM

Liked: 11
Does the XBR9 have a headphone jack? I was pretty mad that they took it out and I don't understand the reason for it
post #186 of 2888 Old 06-21-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post

Does the XBR9 have a headphone jack? I was pretty mad that they took it out and I don't understand the reason for it

No headphone jack on the 52XBR9, but it does have a digital audio out...
post #187 of 2888 Old 06-21-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:

No headphone jack on the 52XBR9, but it does have a digital audio out...

Do you mean the one you connect the white and red cords to?
post #188 of 2888 Old 06-21-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Do you mean the one you connect the white and red cords to?

He's talking about a fiber optic output

Do not disassemble, No.5 ALIVE!!!
post #189 of 2888 Old 06-21-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax gates View Post

He's talking about a fiber optic output

So it is connected to uhh...a surround system?
post #190 of 2888 Old 06-21-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:

So it is connected to uhh...a surround system?

Correct. It will output 5.1 from ota broadcasts and pcm for everything else

post #191 of 2888 Old 06-21-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax gates View Post

Correct. It will output 5.1 from ota broadcasts and pcm for everything else

Right, so you can then use headphones from your receiver/ stereo system if you wish.
post #192 of 2888 Old 06-21-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Right, so you can then use headphones from your receiver/ stereo system if you wish.

Right on the money

post #193 of 2888 Old 06-22-2009, 10:27 AM

After many months of phone calls and letters to SONY regarding the optical block replacement (3 times in 2 yr) on the KDSR50XBR1. They agreed on a swap (with some out of pocket money) for their new 52XBR9.

I'm on my second XBR9, both having what some ppl here are calling it flashlighting/ clouding?

Signal via DTV HD box w/ HDIM cable.
I've also attached an image of what this looks like.

Any help would be appreciated.
LL
post #194 of 2888 Old 06-22-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos9 View Post

After many months of phone calls and letters to SONY regarding the optical block replacement (3 times in 2 yr) on the KDSR50XBR1. They agreed on a swap (with some out of pocket money) for their new 52XBR9.

I'm on my second XBR9, both having what some ppl here are calling it flashlighting/ clouding?

My 52XBR9 does this as well along with a few more splotches near the middle of the screen.

I assumed this was a general problem with this type of LCD tech but is it not and can I expect to get an exchange for another set?
post #195 of 2888 Old 06-22-2009, 11:10 AM
gdu

Quote:

sounds like you are bad luck.
post #196 of 2888 Old 06-22-2009, 11:44 AM

Just received a 52XBR9 this weekend for a Father's Day gift. Very nice indeed. It replaces a 40WL135 which drove me nuts with all of the dimming it was doing. The 52XBR9 has very deep blacks vs. the 40WL135 and has much improved detail in the darker scenes w/o sacrificing the whole scene. There seems to be a slight blue push in the dark scenes vs. the green push of the 40WL135. I appreciate the look of the bezel and having the speakers in the rear of the set. I use an A/V receiver for my sound. One thing I have to work on is getting sound back to the A/V receiver from the TV for the internet video.

I have also downloaded a software update. I don't know what it updated, but the set is now up to date.
post #197 of 2888 Old 06-22-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:

I too have a XBR9 from an exchange with Sony due to optical block problems on another set. What a nightmare the exchange was, but another story. I have noticed this clouding on my set as well, but not to the extent that your picture shows. Trying to determine if this is an issue with the technology or my unit. The picture you attached confuses me a bit because it sure does not look like a picture taken in someone's home for many reasons...the background and the edge of the tv look like a ad pic. Did you take this picture? What exactly is the TV displaying when you took this pic?
post #198 of 2888 Old 06-22-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post

I too have a XBR9 from an exchange with Sony due to optical block problems on another set. What a nightmare the exchange was, but another story. I have noticed this clouding on my set as well, but not to the extent that your picture shows. Trying to determine if this is an issue with the technology or my unit. The picture you attached confuses me a bit because it sure does not look like a picture taken in someone's home for many reasons...the background and the edge of the tv look like a ad pic. Did you take this picture? What exactly is the TV displaying when you took this pic?

Hello StaggerLee-

No that is a picture from Sony website. I did my best to add the cloudy effect using photoshop. I will be taking digital pictures tonight when its much darker in our viewing room and post them ASAP. Sony sent a technician out 4 weeks ago on our first 52XBR9 and he contact Sony saying that the screen was defective. So i guess its not normal technology for an LCD.

Thanks for your post

Xaos9
post #199 of 2888 Old 06-22-2009, 04:23 PM

Here are pictures taken with a high end digital camera of the issues with my XBR9.

The DVD picture is from a Toshiba DVD player showing Aliens... look at the 'boxes' of pixels on the lower left quadrant. The 1080i image is a paused look that is self explanatory.

Tom
LL
LL
post #200 of 2888 Old 06-22-2009, 11:21 PM

I just bought this on Father's Day. It is the first LCD i have bought. The picture is outstanding when I watch blu-ray movies, but when i turn all the light off to watch the movies. At some dark scenes when the whole screen turns black, I can clearly see three big cloudy spot on my TV. (If i watch it with light on, i cant see any cloudy spot.) Is Sony LCD has cloudy problem when watch in the dark ? or my set is defect ?

Will the cloudy problem get worse over time ?

Should I exchange for another set ?

I am lost now, PLZ help me out.
post #201 of 2888 Old 06-22-2009, 11:25 PM

http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/arti...156322-000.jpg

My set looks like that when i watch it in the dark. I have the 40XBR9 not XBR5. I will post some pictures of my TV once i have a good cameras.
post #202 of 2888 Old 06-22-2009, 11:30 PM

I have the same issue and it is somewhat annoying, but since it does not affect the picture I don't think you would have a case complaining to Sony.
post #203 of 2888 Old 06-23-2009, 12:03 AM

I like Sony brand. Their products are well made and reliable. The picture quality and sound of XBR9 are very nice. I just worry that will the cloudy problems become visible or get worse over time.
post #204 of 2888 Old 06-26-2009, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No that is a picture from Sony website. I did my best to add the cloudy effect using photoshop. I will be taking digital pictures tonight when its much darker in our viewing room and post them ASAP. Sony sent a technician out 4 weeks ago on our first 52XBR9 and he contact Sony saying that the screen was defective. So i guess its not normal technology for an LCD.

If you have to fake it with Photoshop or wait for a darker room later at night to take pictures, maybe this is not such a problem for us mere mortals. Am I to assume you have to view a no-input signal in a completely dark room with the backlight cranked all the way up to see this "defect"? Is it apparent in a normal low-lit room viewing normal video sources? I am planning on purchasing the XBR9 and just don't want to prejudge this set on some way-out unrealistic nitpicker opinions that are so prevalent on this forum. However, if this is common and can be seen by normal viewers under normal viewing conditions that would cause me to reconsider.

Snuffy
post #205 of 2888 Old 06-26-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy101 View Post

If you have to fake it with Photoshop or wait for a darker room later at night to take pictures, maybe this is not such a problem for us mere mortals. Am I to assume you have to view a no-input signal in a completely dark room with the backlight cranked all the way up to see this "defect"? Is it apparent in a normal low-lit room viewing normal video sources? I am planning on purchasing the XBR9 and just don't want to prejudge this set on some way-out unrealistic nitpicker opinions that are so prevalent on this forum. However, if this is common and can be seen by normal viewers under normal viewing conditions that would cause me to reconsider.

I also have the clouding affect on my TV. I can see the problem under normal viewing conditions, BUT usually only see it during things like movie credits. Also, I watch from a little off angle and have noticed that it is not so prevelant when viewing directly in front. I have only noticed it once while viewing an actual scene...a dark scene in the Bolt blu-ray. This was in fact the first time I noticed it. I suspect this may happen occasionally in very dark movies. That being said, I have watched movies like Blade Runner and did not notice a problem at all. At this point I consider it a bit of an annoyance, but acceptable. I really believe it is inherent in the technology. The picture on this TV really does look good and I have decided not to let this minor annoyance affect my viewing pleasure. YMMV
post #206 of 2888 Old 06-26-2009, 11:35 AM

Try this setting i find on Cnet, it helps alot when watch movie in the dark.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...&tag=mncol;txt
post #207 of 2888 Old 06-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Hi,

We just got our 52XBR9 and was wondering if anyone had a good calibration setting that works well with Dish Network VIP722 via HDMI.

Thanks.
post #208 of 2888 Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 AM

Wondering about DLNA video support on the XBR9? Does anyone have a list of video media formats supported? In the online Sony doc it says to reference the specs but the specs only list audio formats. That said, "DLNA Video" is apparently supported?

Any input welcome. Considering this set vs Samsung UN46B8000 which offers a ton of different video file format support.
post #209 of 2888 Old 06-29-2009, 08:59 AM

Instant rebates on some XBR9's: Sony and some vendors are giving an instant rebate on some models. J&R (jr.com) is participating. I just purchased the 32 inch for about 10 bucks under 800. Free shipping.
I've been following the prices on the XBR9 for about a month and this is the best I've seen. Rebate programs ends July 8.
post #210 of 2888 Old 06-29-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarbbcuny View Post

Instant rebates on some XBR9's: Sony and some vendors are giving an instant rebate on some models. J&R (jr.com) is participating. I just purchased the 32 inch for about 10 bucks under 800. Free shipping.
I've been following the prices on the XBR9 for about a month and this is the best I've seen. Rebate programs ends July 8.

Good to see prices dropping. Looking at the SonyStyle site, it seems that the MSRP for some Sony models, including the XBR and Z5100 series have come down by $100 to $200. BTW, Rebate program ends July 4th not the 8th. Hopefully, MSRP will drift down further and these become permanent rebates.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 32xbr9 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 46xbr9 46 Inch 1080p 240hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 52xbr9 52 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 40xbr9 40 Inch 1080p 240hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page