Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 2888 Old 02-16-2014, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 340
I ordred a kdl40r450a for the bedroom it should be here ~ 02/22/13. I Saw one at BB a while back good picture I thought it had a very slight edge over the equivalent LED /LCD Sammies at the time.
There was Panasonic 42 LED/LCD there looking real decent also . Those 3 had the best pictures of all the under 1K LED/LCD 40-50" sets IMO anyway.

I went back this wk . to take another look
They were all gone except they did have 40EH5300 and 5500 Sammies . The Sammies didn't look as good as I remembered could have been a Panel version thing.
I looked at other 40-46" ended up going home and ordered the Sony. It's replacing a 2012 32" Toshiba CCFL/LCD with a real nice 450cd/m2 4500:1 CR Samsung SPVA panel in it ,if it matches that it will be fine.

IIRC when I did see the Sony that would not be a problem I believe the Sony is using either an AUO or Samsung rear LED back light PVA panel so I'm expecting a good picture and decent bright room viewing .

Update got the Sony KDL 40R450A pretty decent picture and sound for a 40"
it's as good as anything (at least that I have seen) in it's price range.
It has a Samsung SPVA rear back light LED panel .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 2888 Old 02-16-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Knepper View Post

Finally heard back, I am getting the same TV which is fine with me.  I like this one alot and now my minor issue is fixed plus I get 2 more years on the warranty.

Guess it doesn't matter if you get a new 5 year old TV or a refurb as long as the warranty is there. My 5 year old KDL52XBR9 is working like new. No panel issues, so far. They'll probably appear sometime shortly after 4/1. eek.gif
post #2883 of 2888 Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 AM

Liked: 10
Sony has extended the Limited Warranty on Sony Bravia KDL-52XBR9 and KDL-52Z5100 till 3/31/2014.

http://esupport.sony.com/news/449/US/EN/

Sony's phone number is 1-888-649-7669. When you call, you must be in front of your TV and you will need your serial number.
post #2884 of 2888 Old 03-07-2014, 07:49 PM

My KDL-52XBR9 has ghosting issues and the left side of the TV has lost most of its backlighting. I called Sony today and the short of it is I'm getting my TV replaced for free with another xbr9 with a 2 year extended warranty. Not bad since I bought my TV back in 2009. At first they did not know about the extended warranty but their story quickly changed once I mentioned it. They will ship the TV and then provide a pre-paid return shipping label to send the old TV back in 15 days. I will caution everyone on two points:

1) mention that you have vertical lines on your TV. Sony was saying that my screen anomalies were not covered by the extended warranty since my issues were not an LCD panel issue.

"In addition, customers who paid out-of-pocket to repair the LCD Panel due to picture anomalies on one of the Affected Models prior to the date of this announcement may be eligible to be reimbursed by mail for parts and labor expenses."
source: http://esupport.sony.com/news/449/US/EN/

2) when they ask you if anything has changed with your setup just say nothing has changed to avoid any trouble.

I hope this helps anybody get their TV replaced.
post #2885 of 2888 Old 03-18-2014, 09:44 AM

I just received my replacement TV today and it is a Bravia KDL-55W802A! They had told me I was getting another Bravia KDL-52XBR9 but this one showed up instead. The TV is brand new and came in original packaging. I am pretty happy about getting this new TV and slightly larger with 3D support and LED technology. Go Sony! Plus I have the free extended 2 year warranty on this TV.
post #2886 of 2888 Old 03-21-2014, 08:38 AM

cool. my 52" xbr9 is still going strong.
i've had slight clouding since i got it and nothing has changed in the yrs i've been using it.

still have my 40" XBR3, but it's getting long in the tooth compared to the xbr9 and i'm sure the newer models are tons better than the xbr9

post #2887 of 2888 Old 05-19-2014, 05:10 PM

Hello AVS regulars. I'm new to this site but as I was reading thru the posts I realized that my KDL52XBR9 might fall into the category some of you have been talking about. Not long after I got it it started giving me trouble with the HDMI ports. But because I always came up with a work around I never made a big deal about it. Now the only device I can get to consistently work thru the HDMI ports is an older Philips DVP 1080i HDMI Upconvertion DVD Player. :-(  And even that is giving me issues now as it is seeming to only give me picture but no sound. Yet of course the player does output sound cause when I connect it to my surround receiver it works fine. I purchased it from Best Buy 01/01/2010 and of course like an idiot I didn't purchase the extended warranty.

post #2888 of 2888 Old 05-21-2014, 10:43 AM

Anyone who owns a KDL-52xbr9 and is experiencing the dreaded 10 red light flashing sequence, please take solace in the fact that the fix is quite easy.
I ordered the BU board from Sony parts a couple of weeks ago. It cost approximately $238.00 shipped to my home.
The toughest part of fixing the TV was unplugging everything and taking it off of its mount. The board itself comes out very easily and the new one goes in just as simply.
One note though, when powering the TV back up, be patient, it takes a little while. Also, once that sequence is completed, do yourself a favor and download the latest version of the software to a usb stick and allow the TV to boot up with the usb stick plugged into the TV. If you don't do this, the TV will not be able to connect to the network and retrieve content, in fact the TV will consistently give a 2200 error message.
This fix was easy to do and to me was much better than buying a replacement TV. When contacting Sony, please have your TV's serial number ready as the part number you require is directly related to the serial number of your TV.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 32xbr9 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 46xbr9 46 Inch 1080p 240hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 52xbr9 52 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 40xbr9 40 Inch 1080p 240hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread - 40xbr9 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page