The Official KDL...XBR9 Thread - Page 98 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #2911 of 2924 Old 06-22-2015, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri4jenn View Post
I just received my replacement TV today and it is a Bravia KDL-55W802A! They had told me I was getting another Bravia KDL-52XBR9 but this one showed up instead. The TV is brand new and came in original packaging. I am pretty happy about getting this new TV and slightly larger with 3D support and LED technology. Go Sony! Plus I have the free extended 2 year warranty on this TV.
How did you get the free extended warranty on this TV for 2 years? I got my TV replaced under the program , but do not remember any document stating the 2 years extended warranty. Was it for everyone in the program ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2924 Old 08-01-2015, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dreaded XBR9 LCD Panel Issue

I need help. My 52 inch XBR9 went out and I was in the hospital when it happened and through the time period that the warrantee ended because I am terminally ill. Anybody have luck with getting Sony to honor the warrantee. They blew me off like I was trying to sell them a bridge in the desert.

I have a history of only buying Sony products since the Walkman came out. This has includes 11 televisions. It also includes a large number of other products including discman, VCRs, DVD players, BluRay players, a camcorder, playstations etc etc etc. If I needed something and Sony made it then I bought a Sony. I even had a Sony cell phone through Sprint back in 1998.

A few years ago I had what most called a "green blob" problem with an XBR2 that was about 5 years old. There was a class action suit on the XBR1 for the same issue but I was told to essentially write it off as it was not a Sony problem. Sony even got very short tempered that I was suggesting it was their issue. They said they settled with some XBR2 owners but that I filed my claim slightly too late. (Model KDSR60XBR2, Serial 9019752, Sony claim reference number e60202433). I threw the television out as it was useless because it needed a new color block.

Well, I just got off the phone with Sony and they said that they issued a recall on my KDL52XBR9 but that the recall ended in March of 2015. They said there is nobody else to talk to on the phone. Aside from this being my second XBR top of the line television to break down too soon, and now the second time I have been given an excuse by Sony as to why they can barely not cover it, I have been in the hospital pretty regularly since October 2014 trying to get life saving procedures for a hereditary issue. Had I not been in the hospital, I may have been able to contact Sony to get the XBR9 fixed 4 months ago when it was covered by the recall.

I explained to Sony I was in the hospital and they said that they can't talk to me on the phone under any circumstances to handle this issue because the department that does handle the issue does not have telephones to call.

I don't have a lot of time to go back and forth with Sony on this and it sure would be nice to have a television to watch occasionally when I am not in the hospital. I hope they figure out how to do the right thing for a loyal customer who has now had two XBR big screen TVs quit working after 5 years. It is a true shame if they do not.
post #2913 of 2924 Old 08-10-2015, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardSonyFan View Post
I need help. My 52 inch XBR9 went out and I was in the hospital when it happened and through the time period that the warrantee ended because I am terminally ill. Anybody have luck with getting Sony to honor the warrantee. They blew me off like I was trying to sell them a bridge in the desert.

I have a history of only buying Sony products since the Walkman came out. This has includes 11 televisions. It also includes a large number of other products including discman, VCRs, DVD players, BluRay players, a camcorder, playstations etc etc etc. If I needed something and Sony made it then I bought a Sony. I even had a Sony cell phone through Sprint back in 1998.

A few years ago I had what most called a "green blob" problem with an XBR2 that was about 5 years old. There was a class action suit on the XBR1 for the same issue but I was told to essentially write it off as it was not a Sony problem. Sony even got very short tempered that I was suggesting it was their issue. They said they settled with some XBR2 owners but that I filed my claim slightly too late. (Model KDSR60XBR2, Serial 9019752, Sony claim reference number e60202433). I threw the television out as it was useless because it needed a new color block.

Well, I just got off the phone with Sony and they said that they issued a recall on my KDL52XBR9 but that the recall ended in March of 2015. They said there is nobody else to talk to on the phone. Aside from this being my second XBR top of the line television to break down too soon, and now the second time I have been given an excuse by Sony as to why they can barely not cover it, I have been in the hospital pretty regularly since October 2014 trying to get life saving procedures for a hereditary issue. Had I not been in the hospital, I may have been able to contact Sony to get the XBR9 fixed 4 months ago when it was covered by the recall.

I explained to Sony I was in the hospital and they said that they can't talk to me on the phone under any circumstances to handle this issue because the department that does handle the issue does not have telephones to call.

I don't have a lot of time to go back and forth with Sony on this and it sure would be nice to have a television to watch occasionally when I am not in the hospital. I hope they figure out how to do the right thing for a loyal customer who has now had two XBR big screen TVs quit working after 5 years. It is a true shame if they do not.
Write to sony support. They should be able to take care of you. They offered me a replacement TV , which is not an XBR and a model that was not very popular. Very slim pickings, but then we do what we can. The XBR does nto come cheap.
post #2914 of 2924 Old 10-24-2015, 09:42 AM

Liked: 10
My KDL 52 XBR9 shuts off my AVR even when it is turned off

When I listen to tuner radio on my AVR, the TV is off and after around 10 minutes, the AVR will switch input to the PS3 and then turn off.

My PS3 is connected to the AVR through HDMI, the TV as well. So when I turn TV off, the AVR shuts off, when the PS3 comes on, the TV is changing input and also change AVR input. Everything works fine and is super usefull.

But when the AVR is alone on tuner mode, I do not understant why the TV still try to control it. If I remove power cord from TV, the problem disapear and the AVR will play radio forever.

This TV since I got it is often doing relay clicks during the day when the TV is off. It's not just during the night oor once a day, it's many time a day whatever the hour. Don't know what it does but when I power on after a click, the picture comes real fast like its booted already. I do not know if the click noise matches the AVR shut off though.

Anyone has an idea for this weird problem?

Cheers,
Laurence.
post #2915 of 2924 Old 10-24-2015, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalafor View Post
When I listen to tuner radio on my AVR, the TV is off and after around 10 minutes, the AVR will switch input to the PS3 and then turn off.

My PS3 is connected to the AVR through HDMI, the TV as well. So when I turn TV off, the AVR shuts off, when the PS3 comes on, the TV is changing input and also change AVR input. Everything works fine and is super usefull.

But when the AVR is alone on tuner mode, I do not understant why the TV still try to control it. If I remove power cord from TV, the problem disapear and the AVR will play radio forever.

This TV since I got it is often doing relay clicks during the day when the TV is off. It's not just during the night oor once a day, it's many time a day whatever the hour. Don't know what it does but when I power on after a click, the picture comes real fast like its booted already. I do not know if the click noise matches the AVR shut off though.

Anyone has an idea for this weird problem?

Cheers,
Laurence.
Have you ever updated the firmware? You can find the latest version here:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...3#/downloadTab
post #2916 of 2924 Old 10-24-2015, 12:27 PM

Yes, the firmware has been updated through years and I have the latest...

I have found the problem I think. Every 3-10 minutes, the TV clicks like I said. I searched on that issue and to stop it you need to factory reset and disable TV guide with zip code 00000. I did it and now that the click is away, the TV doesn't seem to control the AVR anymore when off!!

So far so good, but their implementation sucks. First who need to update TV Guide so often and secundo, they should not mess with HDMI control when powering up the board without display. Looks like a bug to me.

I will update if the problem is not solve but so far I consider I solved my isuue. Talking about it is often the best solution we can find!

Cheers,
Laurence.
post #2917 of 2924 Old 10-26-2015, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was really surprised to see this pop up in recent threads again. I had my XBR9 replaced under the extended warranty they gave out for defective panels and then just this year the replacement TV has the same issue. Two or three vertical lines appear until the TV warms up which takes about 10min.

Anyways, since this thread has surfaced i am curious what everyone went to from the this model. I imagine at this point any of the mid to higher end models out there are better but just curious.
post #2918 of 2924 Old 10-31-2015, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My replacement also started having minor issues. Blue vertical line every once in a while. It was under the new 2 year warranty of the replacement though so I am getting a 55W800C as a replacement. Didnt receive it yet to give an opinion but happy enough that a TV I bought in 2009 is being replaced with a brand new semi current model. Just hope the picture is close to the xbr9
post #2919 of 2924 Old 12-24-2015, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
My 55xbr9 started acting up and displaying horizontal lines and ghosting. I can bang on to bezel to fix the problem but it recurs again and again.

I called them and they didn't help me since the extended warranty expired. I also emailed them and they said they couldn't do anything for me. Given that Sony knows of the issue with this tv, I feel they should do something for me.

Anybody know who else I can call?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #2920 of 2924 Old 01-17-2016, 09:21 PM

We have a 52 XBR9, I have noticed on certain programs and movies that there is some darker shadowing in certain scenes, mostly it looks to be on the bottom right hand when the scenes are lighter, only way to explain it is like something spilled and you are seeing the remnants of it. It is not totally noticeable and is not noticeable on certain settings like vivid so I would not have been able to fully tell during the warranty extension unfortunately. Does anyone know what that is, I thought it might have been the blu ray player laser was dirty at first but noticed it on regular programs too. Could a firmware update possibly fix it, we have not updated it in a couple years.
post #2921 of 2924 Old 09-24-2016, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
An advice

Hello, I hope this thread is not dead...

I bought this TV back in 2009 and now it's damaged, it turns on but no image, just a black screen, I took it to a technician and told me that it was the BU Board that was bad.

Now I can't find that board anywhere

The technician indicated that this is my card:
A-1728-743-A (A-1671-682-B)

On ebay there are several models but they don't match that much. For instance I found:

1-879-224-14 (A-1671-682-B) for a 46W5100
1-879-224-14 (A-1671-683-A) for a 46XBR9
A-1671-683-A (A-1671-683-A) for a 46W150

Are any of those I can use? Or somewhere else where I can find it?

Thank you,
Luis.
post #2922 of 2924 Old 09-24-2016, 02:06 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by carteluo View Post

I bought this TV back in 2009 and now it's damaged, it turns on but no image, just a black screen, I took it to a technician and told me that it was the BU Board that was bad.

On ebay there are several models but they don't match that much. For instance I found:

Thank you,
Luis.
did the technician give you a quote for the repair? check below sites for Authorized Parts Distributors and their parts.
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-accessories.pl?

I didn't see the one you're looking for on encompassparts site but this may be a newer BU BOARD. You should confirm it with them to see if it will work for you: A-1728-744-A https://www.encompassparts.com/searc...Term=kdl46xbr9

Last edited by dz2k; 09-24-2016 at 02:39 PM.
post #2923 of 2924 Old 09-24-2016, 03:05 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carteluo View Post

Thank you,
Luis.
I love my 40XBR9 but I hate to say it - if I was having a problem like this, I would just get a new TV. It's already 7 years old and there's a decent chance even if you fix this, something else will fail. Who knows where the parts on eBay are coming from - they could be poorly reconditioned and not to original spec, and it could fail quickly too.

Electronics have a lot of parts with limited lifespan and in general stuff isn't made to last anymore. The few hundred you'll spend on repair gets you most of the way to getting a brand new 40" which probably has decent if not better performance vs. the XBR9.
post #2924 of 2924 Old 09-26-2016, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank you guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 32xbr9 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 46xbr9 46 Inch 1080p 240hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 52xbr9 52 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 40xbr9 40 Inch 1080p 240hz Lcd Hdtv Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page