Possible Permanent Backlight Bleed Fix for LCD TVs and Monitors w/ disclaimer - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

Old 03-05-2015, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am honestly generally just a lurker on forums. I just signed up for an account to this forum just so I could reply to this post. I bought a Sony XBR55X800B. It was a great set but it had light bleed on the top left hand corner (top and left). It was really bumming me out especially during letter boxed movies etc. I just wanted to report I tried both fixes -- tightening the screws (helped some), and then slowly wiping with the microfiber cloth. I did it a few times and it got better each time I did it. It required almost no pressure, just slow steady wipes. I'm happy to report the problem is now non existent! I was extremely skeptical that this would help but I'm here to say it really does work. I was struggling on whether to return the set and take the chance of getting one that was worse etc. Thank you everyone so much for posting this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wanted to chime in with my own experience using this method. Just bought the Sony KDL55W800B Smart LED TV, and noticed some annoying flashlighting/clouding right away.

I took a before and after picture, and I think the results speak for themselves.

Before.

After.

And yeah,I realize the exposure of the two shots are different, but it really did work, notice the huge cloud going all the way across to the middle of the screen in the before shot? That is completely gone now, and only a small subtle bit of clouding remains in the two left side corners.

All i did was very gently rub the screen and slightly tap out the clouding. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by decayed_matter; 03-09-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by decayed_matter View Post
Just wanted to chime in with my own experience using this method. Just bought the Sony KDL55W800B Smart LED TV, and noticed some annoying flashlighting/clouding right away.

I took a before and after picture, and I think the results speak for themselves.

Before.

After.

And yeah,I realize the exposure of the two shots are different, but it really did work, notice the huge cloud going all the way across to the middle of the screen in the before shot? That is completely gone now, and only a small subtle bit of clouding remains in the two left side corners.

All i did was very gently rub the screen and slightly tap out the clouding. Thanks for the suggestion!
do you still notice those distinctive rabbit ears above the sony logo in the bottom center of the screen? I have tried all these tricks and can't seem to get rid of them. They are barely noticeable and very faint. Its a very common lightbleed issue with that tv model.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sci0n View Post
do you still notice those distinctive rabbit ears above the sony logo in the bottom center of the screen? I have tried all these tricks and can't seem to get rid of them. They are barely noticeable and very faint. Its a very common lightbleed issue with that tv model.
I dont think i ever had clouding in the bottom center of the screen. Just in the corners. The clouding i do have however, has diminished even more from these pics. I can just barely detect it now, but it seems like it's spread out more and kinda blends in with the rest of the screen now. Here's a current shot.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
My 65inch 9000 has horrible bleed. The entire screen is like 1 big cloud. I've tried massaging and tapping to no luck. I bought a paint roller with microfiber roll and did some rolling on it last night but still no luck. Does it make a difference if the tv is on or off?? I'm curious of laying the tv on its back and massaging would help the panels to fall better into place?
Any luck? I have the 78HU9000 with some flashlighting and clouding, I've tried massaging for like 30 seconds but scared of doing it longer in fear of making it worse. When putting enough pressure, I can see a slight white flash of the backlight, is this the pressure point to meet?
Old 05-22-2015, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 8051 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
Quote:
Originally Posted by myst4ry View Post
Any luck? I have the 78HU9000 with some flashlighting and clouding, I've tried massaging for like 30 seconds but scared of doing it longer in fear of making it worse. When putting enough pressure, I can see a slight white flash of the backlight, is this the pressure point to meet?
Not really. Seeing the white pressure is normal, it won't hurt anything. I've been meaning to massage small cloud areas on the tv but been busy/lazy lol
Old 05-23-2015, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well I tried slightly unscrewing (2 full turns) and massing for like 5 full minutes, I see no difference unfortunately, its just the bottom right flashlighting/clouding that annoys me, it sort of has a V shape and is quite often visible. All other 3 corners are fine.

I'd appreciate some tips on whether there is any way to reduce this. Do I need to spend like 30mins massaging it with the screen on or something?

Last edited by myst4ry; 05-23-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:07 PM

thanks

I used the microfiber method(like cleaning the display but with a bit more pressure) on my samsung 48h6400 TV, and in 30 second the white cloud disappeared, OP is a genius. I never make an account to say thanks but this time I had to.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:17 AM

Liked: 1
I wish I took a before and after picture!

I recently bought an open box Samsung 65" JS9500 curved 4k TV with the MultiZone Full Array Back Lighting, from Best Buy and it was suffering from what I would call severe back light clouding. Turning on The "SMART LED" feature eliminated my clouds (because the back light LEDs were turned off unless needed), but it was a feature I had to activate manually.

Alas, I found this thread and used a microfiber cloth to massage the screen in the areas where the clouding was taking place. I completely rid myself of all clouding and am very very happy with my TV now. I am the type of person that would have gone crazy thinking about it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
ddcook10 likes this.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:10 AM

To everyone having this method successful in some way, I envy you.
I've tried this on 3 sets throughout the years, not counting all the pc monitors, never made the slightest difference.
Can gently rub the clouds away, but they always return within 5 minutes.
Flashlights are untouchable imo, even disassembled a whole Sony TV back in 2009 trying to get rid of them or even just make a change to the better, but nothing.
Not saying the method doesn't work, but that I must be cursed or something.

Just bought a Sony 805c and the clouding is out of this world, and once again, nothing I do makes any difference at all either way.
God damned TV's, sick of em.
Official Sony rep made the statement that no TV leaving a Sony factory do so without extensive testing, which in turn he said, made it impossible for me having a faulty set in reference to clouding.
Actually what he said.

A policy like that makes it theoretically impossible for a customer to end up with a Sony TV that is having problems with clouding.
They are ment to be there and anything you say is moot.

They sure have there ways to get around things.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:11 AM

Double post..

Last edited by Jacon6; 10-30-2015 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 10-30-2015, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The LED zones on my Vizio 2015 tv do a fantastic job of hiding flashlight bleed. It's especially good for really dark games like Alien Isolation. There's only 16 zones I think so it's not perfect but it still works great!
Old 10-30-2015, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacon6 View Post
To everyone having this method successful in some way, I envy you.
I've tried this on 3 sets throughout the years, not counting all the pc monitors, never made the slightest difference.
Can gently rub the clouds away, but they always return within 5 minutes.
Flashlights are untouchable imo, even disassembled a whole Sony TV back in 2009 trying to get rid of them or even just make a change to the better, but nothing.
Not saying the method doesn't work, but that I must be cursed or something.

Just bought a Sony 805c and the clouding is out of this world, and once again, nothing I do makes any difference at all either way.
God damned TV's, sick of em.
Official Sony rep made the statement that no TV leaving a Sony factory do so without extensive testing, which in turn he said, made it impossible for me having a faulty set in reference to clouding.
Actually what he said.

A policy like that makes it theoretically impossible for a customer to end up with a Sony TV that is having problems with clouding.
They are ment to be there and anything you say is moot.

They sure have there ways to get around things.
I hear ya! I have tried all this rubbing and tightening / loosening of the screws and nothing! And when I rubbed the screen with the micro fiber cloth it just ended up producing more clouding throughout the screen. The picture on my Sony XBR79X900B is beautiful 90% of the time but the clouding on some of the really dark screens is just annoying. I can't believe I switched over from my Panasonic Viera VT30 for this. Everything I read told me that the blacks were not as good as a plasma but I didn't think it would be this bad. For $5,000 there should not be any clouding or flash lighting what so ever. If I had it to do all over again, I would've just kept my Pany and wouldn't have purchased this Sony. This backlight bleeding/clouding/flashlighting or whatever you want to call it is so 2008 technology. LCD/LED's just don't even compare to the Plasma's.

Ronnie
Old 11-04-2015, 03:00 AM

Wow, this really worked. My Samsung 55JS7000 had significant lightbleed around all four corners, but especially in the bottom, and the worst being the bottom left.

Tried this trick, and 90% of it vanished. The bottom left, the worst offender, is not even there anymore but maybe 5% what it was and in a lot smaller area. Barely even noticeable compared to the previous "Super Duper Noticeable. Maybe I should return this even after spending 8 hours to mount it to my wall?"

The top right disappeared, the bottom right is totally clear of lightbleed. All that's left is that 5 on the bottom left, and about 10-15% at the top left which doesn't seem to want to go away like the rest. However, even that is 80-90% better.

Now the light bleed is barely noticeable. Before it was noticeable on all sides, and horrible enough on all sides but top right to want to return the TV. Now it's only on two sides, and barely visible.

HUGE DIFFERENCE, and was super easy to do. +1 for this thread. Thank you!!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Tried this in my JS8500, had no effect what so ever. I honestly didn't think it would either, maybe this one of those situation where you have to just believe and it will work. I didn't press to hard, maybe about as hard as resting your hand on a table. I did some light tapping, not hard enough to cause flashing. I have no dead pixel and I'd never forgive myself if I got one. My clouding and flashlight isn't too bad and I'm afraid to make it worse.

Current gear: UN65JS8500 (Main TV), P65-C1(Testing), M40-C2(Guestroom TV), UBD-K8500, I1D3(Using HCFR)
Retired: TH-50PX80U, M55-C2 (Returned)
Duds: 2x XBR-65X930D(bent frame, 3D unwatchable and clouding), P65-C1(Yellow banding, dead pixels), UN65JS8500(blue bleed) UN60J6200 (Returned, dead pixels), M65-C1(3x Defective units, all dead pixel and yellow banding)
Old 02-10-2016, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The JS8500 has some of the worst light bleeding I've ever seen. Even there more basic JU6500 model has less bleed. I don't know where they get off charging $2000 plus for that thing
Old 02-29-2016, 07:31 AM

Hi, This is my 1st post
I have the Samsung JU6000 55" and the screen is pretty much perfect apart from some backlight bleed/search light bleed from bottom right corner. I have taken the backlight way down to 4 and taken gamma to 3 and various other tweaks and this seems to make viewing acceptable.
Is it worth tapping/rubbing or tightening the screws on this TV to eliminate/reduce this issue?? as I don't want to make it any worse.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy76 View Post
Hi, This is my 1st post
I have the Samsung JU6000 55" and the screen is pretty much perfect apart from some backlight bleed/search light bleed from bottom right corner. I have taken the backlight way down to 4 and taken gamma to 3 and various other tweaks and this seems to make viewing acceptable.
Is it worth tapping/rubbing or tightening the screws on this TV to eliminate/reduce this issue?? as I don't want to make it any worse.
Some have claimed success in doing that but it is not recommended by most because it's possible to make it worse or damage your panel.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:43 AM

Thanks Otto, My picture is watchable (after doingALLOT of picture setting adjustments) with just a very small amount of bleedslightly noticeable watching 21:9 and such. I'll think I'll just accept this, rather than having regrets if I made it worse by doing something that (I guess) is not recommended by Samsung.

It's a shame as my previous TV was a cheap(ish)BUSH 47" LCD that had zero Backlight bleed or search light bleed.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:27 PM

Just got my JS7000 55' and low and behold it had a couple of bleeds on the upper right and left of the screen. Also a very minor clouding area. I broke loose the screws around the upper right and left corner, and using a microfiber cloth, applied slow steady pressure and completely erased the bleeding. Tapping did nothing btw. Basically did it like I was cleaning the screen with a tad more pressure. I think people see the word "rubbing" and tend to go back and forth in a small spot and this also did nothing. Just go nice and steady in one direction at a time starting before the bleed and right on through it.

Took me some time to get it just right but it was worth it. T.V has a great pic.

I then re-tightened the screws just a tad past snug. 20.00 bucks says if I move this tv at all, I'll have to do this again. Works pretty good though. I think it sucks a marble sac that I had to do anything tbh.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:18 AM

Thought I'd share. As it may be panel specific (IPS vs VA), I purchased a Samsung JS7000 55, IPS, with significant bleeding on all four sides. Given all the advice about screws and tugging out the display panel to redistribute pressure, I thought I'd give something a little simpler a shot. It worked and eliminated 100% of the bleeding. I used a small suction cup, one that came with a tablet repair kit, and adhered it directly above each leak, roughly an inch from the bezel. I then tugged gently, but repeatedly and quickly until suction was broken. After doing this over each problem area, the bleeding is gone. Won't promise anyone else results, but might be worth a shot. In any event, easier than removing screws and arguably gentler than buffing the screen with a rag.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a cheap led edge lit LCD, I will experiment with different fixes and post results. Here's a before pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160415_214649_1460772058526.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	1382994  

Last edited by Robert Bays; 04-15-2016 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Content
Old 04-16-2016, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here's after rubbing areas with flashlights gently, working around screen. Couldn't eliminate it totally ( its a budget bin 37" panel) but a huge improvement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160416_205010_1460797528977.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1383682  
Old 04-17-2016, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 437
I had limited success on my 65X930D, however it didn't work at all on either of my two 65JS8500. I believe it has to do with the construction of the panel.

Current gear: UN65JS8500 (Main TV), P65-C1(Testing), M40-C2(Guestroom TV), UBD-K8500, I1D3(Using HCFR)
Retired: TH-50PX80U, M55-C2 (Returned)
Duds: 2x XBR-65X930D(bent frame, 3D unwatchable and clouding), P65-C1(Yellow banding, dead pixels), UN65JS8500(blue bleed) UN60J6200 (Returned, dead pixels), M65-C1(3x Defective units, all dead pixel and yellow banding)
Old 05-23-2016, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeUout View Post
I had limited success on my 65X930D, however it didn't work at all on either of my two 65JS8500. I believe it has to do with the construction of the panel.
Yeah for current TVs this is what I call "TV Hoo Doo".
Construction since those days of past on LED TV's has changed and this method is not an option.
Some say that you can try loosening the screws on the back of the TV, that doesn't work either, you actually need to loosen the screws on the aluminium plate that holds the LCD panel and LED lighting array in place. Underneath the plastic cover on the back.

I've had limited success with that method.

Last edited by Exist_To_Resist; 05-23-2016 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
This is a terrible "fix" and you should just stop trying to "fix" anything this way. Maybe it would work on a smaller screen almost by accident, but it's probably not going to work since the flashlighting problem is not cause by the LCD not being "pushed hard enough" at the factory.

You are so much more likely to cause damage than you are to fix anything it's not even funny.

So you're saying I didn't drastically improve my Vizio M70-d3?

It amazes me but it really works. All with active LED off backlight at 100. I thought this was a bunch of BS when I heard it TBH but it really works.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 711
You're damned lucky that it "worked" at all and that you didn't do more damage. My guess is that your issue will eventually come back due to poor construction/build.
Old Today, 02:46 PM

I had to create a username just to post on this thread.

I am having the exact oposite result from pressing the panel.

I had a serious flashlighting on my 55 ingh TV. LG told me it was "normal".

When the TV came back the problem was 60% solved (without any explanation) so I tried do massage the screen, only to get worse (as it was before).

I then noticed that if I moved the TV to another place the flashlighting would descrease until I pressed the screen again.

Any ideas what could this be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Samsung Ln40a630 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Lcd Hdtv , Displays , Samsung Ln46a550 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic Tc L37d2 37 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Hdtv With Ipod Dock