Please, do offer some help with calibration advice for Sony Bravia KDL-40L4000E - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2009, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Being pretty similar to the TV in this review (got the KDL-40L4000E recently due to a bargain offer in a local retail chain):

HDTVtest's KDL40V4000 review (cannot post the link yet )

I decided to use their calibration settings as base for my experimentation with the device (I have three neat reference images I use as basic calibration helpers [one with grey rectangles and a black background, one with grey rectangles and a white background, and another one which helps me with colours and white to black transition [to avoid black crush and keep black... black...]).

(note: I have a PS3 connected through HDMI as my main DTV/Blu-Ray player/Gaming device/DVD player... 1:1 pixel mapping was the first thing I enabled )

[...]

The only problem is that with the backlight value of 2 (and especially the power saving feature they enabled in their review) the whites are very very greyish, even what should be pure white appears greyish.

Currently the main difference I have with their settings, after having played around a bit with it, is that I have a backlight value of ~5-6.

I do not want blacks to lose their very low luminosity, but I do not want my whites to be incredibly subdued either (I tend to like saturated and "constrasty" images, but I did not change a thing as far as colours and colours' temperature are concerned... they seem to be ok [especially after the "Dark Knight" test ]).

What would you advice me to do calibration wise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

For basic needs just download tvblink.com and calibrate it qualitatively based on its recommendations. Adjust a touch off the calibration to your taste. The cost is free except for your time.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:15 AM

Liked: 26
You might also see if Tweaktv.com has that model in its listings. Hope it helps.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitally challe View Post

You might also see if Tweaktv.com has that model in its listings. Hope it helps.

Unfortunately this particular model is not on their listing... I will be looking for their 40V4000 model though as AFAIK the panel and its video processors should be identical really.

Thanks for the help though .