Samsung UN55B7100 VS Panasonic TH-50PZ800U VS Panasonic TC-P50G10 (Fully Calibrated) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 520 Old 03-15-2009, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bway View Post

...checked out both displays(55B7100 & P50G10) at BB today. Neither was calibrated. The 7100 was washed out...strangely the 46B7100 looked Good!!
What really got my attention was how fast the 55 faded as I increased my viewing angle. The G10 was outstanding but a bit dim..fantastic color.

I saw the Panny also today, boy it is dim. I adjusted it to 100 contrast and 100 brightness and it was still dim. However I don't know whether it was at the reduced power(not sure if or where there is an adjustment for this) or max power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 520 Old 03-15-2009, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Am I missing something here, or were the actual calibrated settings for these tvs never posted? I know settings can vary from tv to tv, but it would help and be a starting point for many people here to get their tvs to look the best they can.

In each owners thread the settings were posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKing View Post

Mainly I don't want it to be wobbly because I wouldn't be mounting it. Also, the tech seems to be getting too thin too fast. As if they haven't worked out the kinks of picture quality, glitches, and heat dissipation.

no wobble that I noticed. No heat problems either.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #273 of 520 Old 03-15-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post

I saw the Panny also today, boy it is dim. I adjusted it to 100 contrast and 100 brightness and it was still dim. However I don't know whether it was at the reduced power(not sure if or where there is an adjustment for this) or max power.

It didn't have a backlight setting?

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #274 of 520 Old 03-15-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post

Common complaint on the Panasonics. Also grainy picture is reported by many
post #275 of 520 Old 03-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

In each owners thread the settings were posted.

no wobble that I noticed. No heat problems either.

I may be contacting you about one of these bad boys. I just have to decide on 46 or 55".
post #276 of 520 Old 03-15-2009, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKing View Post

I wish my Best Buy would get this tv in so I can look at it. Some people are complaining about it being too thin and this is worrying me too. Also, how bad is the flashlighting?

who are these people and what are their complaints. ?

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #277 of 520 Old 03-15-2009, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

.....but I did notice a few issues for me. ....

1. There was a scene in Cars where you could barely make out a power line from a building to a pole with a dark background when standing directly in front of the TV. When I went off angle, maybe about 30deg, I could clearly see the entire power line. Once I picked up on this, I noticed this on other scenes where I was missing some detail when directly in front of the TV.........

issue ? this if true is bound to be a new marketing campaign. and think of the reviews.

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #278 of 520 Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Chris,

I didn't get a chance to read all the posts. From the clear shots it looks like the G10 and B7100 are on par with each other. How does the motion resolution look? My 52A650 and 111FD look great with a static image. It's in motion where the 111FD leaves the A650 in the dust. Can you get good motion resolution on the B7100 without turing AMP on? Seeing you excited about a LCD is kind of funny. At least you realize where the business is going.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #279 of 520 Old 03-15-2009, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Did Panasonic get the memo that these neo plasmas were supposed to be brighter than previous plasmas? I haven't seen one yet but everyone that has seems to think they are dull and dim. This may be the final nail in the coffin for plasma. They need the LCD people to switch over but if these are still looking dull and dim in the showroom i just don't see that happening. Panasonic needed to make a bold move, but not one person has mentioned anything about these panels being brighter. And the CNET review didn't say a thing about it either.
post #280 of 520 Old 03-16-2009, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

They may be dim out of the box, put them in torch mode and they will show they are plenty bright.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #281 of 520 Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Vivid mode gives off 80fL of light. I'm guessing this is the mode they use in the stores.

The whole brightness thing is ridiculous though. I'd never watch any tv at more than 30-40fL. Any more than that and it just hurts your eyes.

I could really care less what they look like in the stores as it has no effect on my viewing experience at home.
post #282 of 520 Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 PM

Hi All,

Long time follower, first time poster.

So, I'm 4 days away from replacing our KDL-46W3000. My wife and I were running around Austin TX. and found the a950. I actually stumbled across it on Saturday when I was looking at getting the 52" - a650.

She, she mind you, she mentioned that I should save for one more week and get the a950. She was blown away by the picture and was super supportive. Then we were told that the 7100 was on display and we should check it out. We did, but now that I've read this listing, I'm going to re-visit and fiddle with the 7100.

The Magnolia rep @ Techridge wasn't that friendly and was put out that we wanted them to demo Wall-e on the a950. I'm a stickler for customer service and as far as I'm concerned, they lost my business.

Anyhow, here is the question for you fine folks. The price of the a950 would be matched to the MSRP of the 7100 @ 3799.99. In your O's, what would you do?

Also, what is the major dif's with the 7100 & 6100?

Btw, I have nothing for / against plasma, LCD, etc. I'm for the best picture. Thanks for dealing with a noob.

Antony
post #283 of 520 Old 03-16-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

Did Panasonic get the memo that these neo plasmas were supposed to be brighter than previous plasmas? I haven't seen one yet but everyone that has seems to think they are dull and dim. This may be the final nail in the coffin for plasma. They need the LCD people to switch over but if these are still looking dull and dim in the showroom i just don't see that happening. Panasonic needed to make a bold move, but not one person has mentioned anything about these panels being brighter. And the CNET review didn't say a thing about it either.

go back and read all that review. here's the link. http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...rColumnArea1.1

katzmaier does mention it. katzmaier points out that the set comes with the default setting at Standard -- which was required to meet the new Energy Star 3.0 standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnet review of Panasonic TC-P50S1 View Post

Speaking of presets, it's worth noting that, as we saw with last year's Panasonics, Standard was quite dim (just 22 Fl; about half of our nominal dark-room target of 40 and a quarter of the panel's maximum of 83 in Vivid mode), to the point where the picture seemed dull and washed-out compared with the other picture settings. The reason is simple: Energy Star 3.0. To qualify, Panasonic had to set the default picture mode, Standard, to be quite dim, since dimmer pictures use less power. For more, check out the Power Consumption section below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnet review of Panasonic TC-P50S1 View Post

Power consumption: As you can see from the Geek Box below, the 42-inch member of the TC-PS1 series scored well in terms of overall power consumption. As always, the Scores are based on the default picture setting, Standard, which as we explained above is quite dim. Nonetheless, even with light output equalized, the Calibrated column, the TC-P42S1 proved relatively efficient, and is definitely the most efficient 42-inch 1080p plasma we've tested (for what that's worth).

overall, the review isn't very good, but at the same time seems to give the set the benefit of the doubt with some of the subjective comparative adverbs. he did add it to their Best Plasma list. he notes it is on the low end and yet he compared it to the xbr8 based on data specs.

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #284 of 520 Old 03-16-2009, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopTTU View Post

Hi All,

Long time follower, first time poster.

So, I'm 4 days away from replacing our KDL-46W3000. My wife and I were running around Austin TX. and found the a950. I actually stumbled across it on Saturday when I was looking at getting the 52" - a650.

She, she mind you, she mentioned that I should save for one more week and get the a950. She was blown away by the picture and was super supportive. Then we were told that the 7100 was on display and we should check it out. We did, but now that I've read this listing, I'm going to re-visit and fiddle with the 7100.

The Magnolia rep @ Techridge wasn't that friendly and was put out that we wanted them to demo Wall-e on the a950. I'm a stickler for customer service and as far as I'm concerned, they lost my business.

Anyhow, here is the question for you fine folks. The price of the a950 would be matched to the MSRP of the 7100 @ 3799.99. In your O's, what would you do?

Also, what is the major dif's with the 7100 & 6100?

Btw, I have nothing for / against plasma, LCD, etc. I'm for the best picture. Thanks for dealing with a noob.

Antony

They are both great sets, matter or choice. I am a sucker for new technoligy myself.

Samsung 7100 Series | LN40B7100, LN46B7100, LN55B7100

Ultra-Slim LED HDTV with Auto Motion Plus 120Hz. Available in 40-inch, 46-inch, and 55-inch sizes. 40%+ decrease power consumption versus traditional LCD HDTVs of similar size. Ultra Slim Design in semi-transparent ruby with dewdrop-like lighting effect. The Samsung 7000 series also features Internet@TV technology. TOC Grey

Samsung 6000 Series | LN40B6000, LN46B6000, LN55B6000

Eco-Friendly LED LCD HDTV with Auto Motion Plus 120Hz. Available in 40-inch, 46-inch, and 55-inch sizes. 40%+ decrease power consumption versus traditional LCD HDTVs of similar size. The Samsung 6000 series does not feature Internet@TV, but Samsung’s InfoLive technology. TOC Red

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #285 of 520 Old 03-16-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hey did Chad do any black level and contrast measurements on the 7100? I know he has posted them for the G10, but I don't think I've seen the 7100's.
post #286 of 520 Old 03-16-2009, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

He did, I am not sure where they are at.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #287 of 520 Old 03-17-2009, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I say your statement is incorrect and goes back to old CRT tube beliefs when didn't have these huge panels or two million pixels to work with. Smaller pixels are simply smaller - my great kitchen Sony at 23" LCD is terrific but damn if it can ever make me go WoW with it's weenie size no matter how Sharp it is because it cannot enlarge the pixels to bring out details or provide HT immersion.

Larger pixels when you have two million + become larger and it brings out more DETAILS one may not otherwise notice at all and with the right seating distance more HT Immersion. When I went from 45" to 57" it became a new viewing experience at the larger size in Dot Mode and I'd toss the smaller panel to the side in favor of the larger 100% of the time - I no longer view the 45" as a result and the same will occur when I go larger yet - these panels have no problem displaying those pixels bigger and without noise. It follows the same principal and reason people also move to FP's when they have the room that can handle it and they most often won't give up their 100+" immersion either. That size and immersion = PQ WoW's!!!

You're confusing picture sharpness with detailing.

They're not the same.

Yes, a larger panel brings out more details, but a smaller picture will appear crisper and sharper, even with some details hidden.

post #288 of 520 Old 03-17-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Common complaint on the Panasonics. Also grainy picture is reported by many

Previous generations of Panny? Perhaps. For the G10? No. It's too new for this to be called a common complaint.

Have you seen the picture on one in person?

post #289 of 520 Old 03-17-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Chris:

For those of us in NE Ohio, if we order from you can we pick it up to save shipping or do you ship from out of state warehouse?

Argee
post #290 of 520 Old 03-17-2009, 07:59 AM

Are any of you guys viewing the UB55B7100 seeing any motion artifacts and judder in high speed scenes? That was the one thing that really turned me off with the 7100. I think the PQ, color accuracy and overall picture in the 7100 is better than the 650/750 but the motion issues really bothered me enough to not entertain purchasing the 7100...and this was right next to the 650/750 where I did not see the motion artifacts nearly as bad (hardly noticeable at all).

I also agree the "dullness" is likely due to the Standard setting. When you are seeing other Sammys set to Dynamic and ultra bright, then look at another Sammy on Standard...it certainly looks very dull. But when you look at Standard next to other LCDs/Plasmas, it's not nearly as bad...but it also let's you appreciate the better PQ in the Pioneer Kuros (Elite/Non-Elite) and Sony XBR6/8 at the same relative brightness.
post #291 of 520 Old 03-17-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XstatiK View Post

Are any of you guys viewing the UB55B7100 seeing any motion artifacts and judder in high speed scenes? That was the one thing that really turned me off with the 7100. I think the PQ, color accuracy and overall picture in the 7100 is better than the 650/750 but the motion issues really bothered me enough to not entertain purchasing the 7100...and this was right next to the 650/750 where I did not see the motion artifacts nearly as bad (hardly noticeable at all).

I also agree the "dullness" is likely due to the Standard setting. When you are seeing other Sammys set to Dynamic and ultra bright, then look at another Sammy on Standard...it certainly looks very dull. But when you look at Standard next to other LCDs/Plasmas, it's not nearly as bad...but it also let's you appreciate the better PQ in the Pioneer Kuros (Elite/Non-Elite) and Sony XBR6/8 at the same relative brightness.

What was AMP set to on the 7100? Did you know that AMP on the 7100 has a Custom feature, giving you the settings that were in the service menu of last year's LCDs in the user menu so you can fine tune it to your liking?

post #292 of 520 Old 03-17-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

Previous generations of Panny? Perhaps. For the G10? No. It's too new for this to be called a common complaint.

Have you seen the picture on one in person?

I have not seen one in person. I was hoping that the G10 was going to fix the panasonic grainy picture problem, but from the poster's comment it may still be there. OTOH, when I saw one of the posters had turned up brightness full blast then I thought the issue might be user error.

Considering that every other company has put a decent processor in their sets, you would hope that Panasonic would finally catch up
post #293 of 520 Old 03-17-2009, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

I have not seen one in person. I was hoping that the G10 was going to fix the panasonic grainy picture problem, but from the poster's comment it may still be there. OTOH, when I saw one of the posters had turned up brightness full blast then I thought the issue might be user error.

Considering that every other company has put a decent processor in their sets, you would hope that Panasonic would finally catch up

Now, keep in mind I've only had about 20 minutes with the set, getting it out of torch mode and into Custom, and dialing back the sharpness to minimize ringing or other edge issues. So far, the smoothness of the panel has held up.

I'll devote some more eye time to OTA HDTV tonight and give an update.

post #294 of 520 Old 03-17-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

What was AMP set to on the 7100? Did you know that AMP on the 7100 has a Custom feature, giving you the settings that were in the service menu of last year's LCDs in the user menu so you can fine tune it to your liking?

Hrm, I don't recall honestly.
I will double check today.

What is the default when you reset the 7100?
What do you feel it should be set to?

Because before I started reviewing them, I reset all the TVs through the menu reset option (in this case the 7100, 650, and 750) to get rid of any previous user/reviewers settings. Then I set them all to a given mode and equalize their settings (all the same, as some mode defaults are different between the sets)...then start tweaking them to get their pictures as close as possible to what appears ideal to me before analyzing.
post #295 of 520 Old 03-17-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

AMP should be set to whatever you like.

post #296 of 520 Old 03-17-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee
Chris:For those of us in NE Ohio, if we order from you can we pick it up to save shipping or do you ship from out of state warehouse?

Quote:

This is true

LOL. which is true ?

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #297 of 520 Old 03-17-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:

No shipping applies.....

Chris:
I'm confused. Your store website lists a $200 shipping charge. Does this apply only to the mere mortals that don't read this forum? I appreciate all you have done to help us make an informed decision, and will take that into account when I purchase a new set (well, when I can talk the wife into a new set - reality sucks).
post #298 of 520 Old 03-17-2009, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Chris:For those of us in NE Ohio, if we order from you can we pick it up to save shipping or do you ship from out of state warehouse?

For those who would like to pick up from our location, there are no shipping charges.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #299 of 520 Old 03-18-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I got to check out the 55" 7100 unit at my Best Buy. Stunning-looking unit, especially when you turn that idiotic light off at the bottom of the bezel. Looks like someone smashed the screen and light is bleeding through!

I did notice that the screen would dim itself during dark scenes, which I found VERY distracting... Can you turn that off?
post #300 of 520 Old 03-18-2009, 02:40 PM

Could anyone with a calibrated tv post their settings on the forum? I have been messing with the 55 settings for some time now and it still doesn't feel right.

Playing my 360 is very annoying, I can't figure out how to get rid of the blurriness when turning and lots of a screen tearing(like the frame is being played ahead or is behind other pixels).

Is there any way to make it appear like it did on my 3253 sammy? Just display and not worry about the refresh rate and sync issues?

Overall the tv is awesome, waaaay too big for my room, but I don't care, it's a movie theater now, haha.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page