Samsung UN55B7100 VS Panasonic TH-50PZ800U VS Panasonic TC-P50G10 (Fully Calibrated) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 520 Old 04-10-2009, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedLightning View Post

I never did see a review posted about this, did I just miss it some place?

Its true my PN63B650 is here uncalibrated. Chad said he would be up as soon as he could but he had a new tour coming up so it would be a few weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 520 Old 04-10-2009, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falldog View Post

Just picked up a Samsung UN55B7100. Had to replace an old Tube TV sitting in a cut out above bed room fire place. The TV hole was built back in the 4:3 days of tube TVs. The 55inch, super thin Samsung will just cover the height of the hole.

Now I am in search of a mount for the UN55B7100. I am looking at the Chief PNR...cuz the after install height adjust appeals to me. The wife really, really, really, wants to cover the old TV hole. (...it was her idea for this big-ass TV...i would have been happy with a 32in LCD....)

The Chief PNR is overkill as far as rated weight. The UN55B7100 'E-manual' says that it weighs around 49lbs without the stand. Anyone know of other 'after-install-height-adjust' swing arm Mounts?

Looks like the 55in 7100 uses a 400x400 Versa. Anyone out there have any experience with the adapter plate for the UN55B7100?

With you having a whole to fill, get the OMNI UCL-X or Omni UCL-L. Great mount and low price. No adapter plate needed.
Omni UCL-X <<< Click Here >>>
post #453 of 520 Old 04-11-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I went into Best Buy yesterday to look at a Panasonic 50G10 after HD Guru's rave review. They had one on an endcap running the previous model's demo disc. I was expecting to be blown away by the black levels, but right off the bat I thought the screen looked very flat and not black at all. Then, the salesman pointed out the Samsung 6100/7000 set up on the next endcap over; now granted, the dynamic settings and black adjust were set to max so skintones were lava-colored and all black detail was crushed into the abyss, but the black levels were nonetheless impressive. In fact, the G10 wasn't even half as black as the 6000/7100, which just doesn't sound right. On a "black" screen with white text, the Samsung was jet black, while the G10 was never darker than a medium grey.

So what's the deal? Why do my eyes not see what the specs and reviews say?

Click here for my home theater setup
post #454 of 520 Old 04-11-2009, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

In each owners thread the settings were posted.

no wobble that I noticed. No heat problems either.

I would like to see these settings.Been looking cant seem to find them.Im currently using cnets movie mode settings on my 46B6000 with the gamma turned back down to 0.I to have the slightly lighted corners on my set but its not that noticeable.As far as the viewing angle goes i dont sit far off to the side when watching a movie or playing a game so no big deal.

post #455 of 520 Old 04-11-2009, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

So I went into Best Buy yesterday to look at a Panasonic 50G10 after HD Guru's rave review. They had one on an endcap running the previous model's demo disc. I was expecting to be blown away by the black levels, but right off the bat I thought the screen looked very flat and not black at all. Then, the salesman pointed out the Samsung 6100/7000 set up on the next endcap over; now granted, the dynamic settings and black adjust were set to max so skintones were lava-colored and all black detail was crushed into the abyss, but the black levels were nonetheless impressive. In fact, the G10 wasn't even half as black as the 6000/7100, which just doesn't sound right. On a "black" screen with white text, the Samsung was jet black, while the G10 was never darker than a medium grey.

So what's the deal? Why do my eyes not see what the specs and reviews say?

Samsung uses a jet black filter on their lcds, so with any light the blacks will look jet black. Even their mid-level 550/650 series looks jet black during the day because of the filter. Turn off the lights and it's a different story. Cnets review said the G10 had darker blacks than the lcd during normal viewing content.
post #456 of 520 Old 04-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Samsung uses a jet black filter on their lcds, so with any light the blacks will look jet black. Even their mid-level 550/650 series looks jet black during the day because of the filter. Turn off the lights and it's a different story. Cnets review said the G10 had darker blacks than the lcd during normal viewing content.

Interesting so here is a noob question so if that is true then that means the Samsung will benefit a lot more using a 'bias lighting' in a completely dark room than say using a 'bias lighting' on a G10 in a completely dark room?

Xbox Live Gamertag: FELONY 301

PSN ID: FELONY--301

No problem adding people...
post #457 of 520 Old 04-11-2009, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by felonyr301 View Post

Interesting so here is a noob question so if that is true then that means the Samsung will benefit a lot more using a 'bias lighting' in a completely dark room than say using a 'bias lighting' on a G10 in a completely dark room?

The G10 wouldn't need bias lighting to cheat your eyes into thinking the blacks are really black, because they actually are.

post #458 of 520 Old 04-11-2009, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by felonyr301 View Post

The TV already has backlighting controls so you don't need bias lighting
post #459 of 520 Old 04-12-2009, 11:12 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

That's funny, you plan on watching the tv or the bezel?

Still strike here.
post #460 of 520 Old 04-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Isn't this comparing Apples to Oranges?

Using the models in the post which started this thread...

The Panasonic 50-inch G10 Plasma -- costs $1799 at BestBuy.
The Samsung UN55B7100 LED -- costs $3799 at BestBuy.

The Samsung is literally twice the price. It's also LED vs Plasma.

The 2 subjects of this comparison are from completely different categories entirely.

So it seems to me... the results (and/or opinion of the person who posted it) reflect better on the Panasonic than the Samsung. After all, one set is half the price of the other. So whether or not somebody else finds subtle differences in the blacks or PQ, the whole thing is actually a testament to the great value of the Panasonic.

Does that make sense? Am I wrong?

One day at a time...
post #461 of 520 Old 04-13-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy nightmares View Post

Isn't this comparing Apples to Oranges?

Using the models in the post which started this thread...

The Panasonic 50-inch G10 Plasma -- costs $1799 at BestBuy.
The Samsung UN55B7100 LED -- costs $3799 at BestBuy.

The Samsung is literally twice the price. It's also LED vs Plasma.

The 2 subjects of this comparison are from completely different categories entirely.

So it seems to me... the results (and/or opinion of the person who posted it) reflect better on the Panasonic than the Samsung. After all, one set is half the price of the other. So whether or not somebody else finds subtle differences in the blacks or PQ, the whole thing is actually a testament to the great value of the Panasonic.

Does that make sense? Am I wrong?

No, I think you're very right. The G10 has superior motion and doesn't have to resort to "auto-motion" interpolation and trickery to get it. The G10 has superior blacks and doesn't drop the backlight of the entire screen in mostly-black scenes to trick the viewer into thinking they have good blacks. And the G10 is half the price (the 46-inch MSRP is $1,200 cheaper than the 46B6000). Granted, the Luxia series is four inches thinner than the G10, but with that comes light to severe flashlighting in nearly every set produced.

The luxia series are very sexy sets, but between the price, the manufacturing flaws, and the flawed trickery Samsung's using to achieve blacks and clear motion I don't think these sets are really an option.

post #462 of 520 Old 04-13-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

No, I think you're very right. The G10 has superior motion and doesn't have to resort to "auto-motion" interpolation and trickery to get it. The G10 has superior blacks and doesn't drop the backlight of the entire screen in mostly-black scenes to trick the viewer into thinking they have good blacks. And the G10 is half the price (the 46-inch MSRP is $1,200 cheaper than the 46B6000). Granted, the Luxia series is four inches thinner than the G10, but with that comes light to severe flashlighting in nearly every set produced.

The luxia series are very sexy sets, but between the price, the manufacturing flaws, and the flawed trickery Samsung's using to achieve blacks and clear motion I don't think these sets are really an option.

Some people prefer oranges and some prefer apples. I personally like the LCDs more after a long evaluation of the diff. techs. I think the plasmas are dark, dim and flat compared to LCDs even the "holy" kuro elite.
post #463 of 520 Old 04-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by combatsambo View Post

Some people prefer oranges and some prefer apples. I personally like the LCDs more after a long evaluation of the diff. techs. I think the plasmas are dark, dim and flat compared to LCDs even the "holy" kuro elite.

The apples and oranges he's talking about weren't plasma and LCD, but price - $1,800 and $3,800.

If you like LCD better but want to spend the same amount of dough as you would on the 50G10, you're looking at an A550, not one of these Luxia models. That's the apples to apples comparison he's talking about.

jeff
post #464 of 520 Old 04-13-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

The apples and oranges he's talking about weren't plasma and LCD, but price - $1,800 and $3,800.

If you like LCD better but want to spend the same amount of dough as you would on the 50G10, you're looking at an A550, not one of these Luxia models. That's the apples to apples comparison he's talking about.

jeff

OIC. my bad then.

I guess it would be more like gourmet apples from Harry and David and Pathmark tangerines 10 for a $1.
post #465 of 520 Old 04-13-2009, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would question how dark, dim and flat today's plasmas really are compared to an LCD after you've dialed down the "backlight", "dynamic contrast", and "black adjust" to levels that actually give you good picture quality. The comparison photos on the first page certainly don't leave the plasma looking dark, dim and flat compared to the LCD.

post #466 of 520 Old 04-13-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I think the plasmas are dark, dim and flat compared to LCDs even the "holy" kuro elite.

Simply not true anymore. The new Panasonics do 91fL of light. Twice as much as you would comfortably watch your set at. There is nothing "dim" about them.
post #467 of 520 Old 04-13-2009, 03:32 PM

Is there a comparison including the Kuro Elite and XBR8 with the new Samsung and Panasonics?
post #468 of 520 Old 04-13-2009, 03:39 PM

I'm sorry but all the photo comparison is useless when taken with shaky hands
post #469 of 520 Old 04-14-2009, 03:39 PM

When are we going to see the XBR8 and Kuro in this show down?
If it can be done or if someone has the info on where it is done please inform.

Thanks
post #470 of 520 Old 04-15-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanny01 View Post

When are we going to see the XBR8 and Kuro in this show down?
If it can be done or if someone has the info on where it is done please inform.

Thanks

I think all you would see was a Flame fest between the plasma people and the LCD people. just by the reviews all of these are great sets and it really seems to be personal taste. Having seen all three of these in the last week I would take any of them and be pleased.
post #471 of 520 Old 04-17-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Exposure View Post

I think all you would see was a Flame fest between the plasma people and the LCD people. just by the reviews all of these are great sets and it really seems to be personal taste. Having seen all three of these in the last week I would take any of them and be pleased.

Are you referring the XBR8, Kuro, and New Samsungs?
Or the New panasonic's with the Samsungs.
post #472 of 520 Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking View Post

The most revealing aspect for me in the way the Panasonic handles the street scene below the building. The Samsung's rendition of the same scene is poor. Very impressed with the G!

Samsung PQ is much better. Better color depth, richer color, better natural color on that building, its, sharper, brighter, crisper, better detailed, and has better resolution. That Samsung has beautiful rich colors and i put it above Panasonic Plasma. But that Samsung is also very expensive. If you care about PQ go for that Samsung or for better value (best bang for buck) Panasonic is better.

I'm impressed with this Samsung LED. The blacks make the picture and colors stand out beautifully.
post #473 of 520 Old 04-20-2009, 07:37 AM

I did not read all of this thread and not sure if anyone has stated that it is possible to fix the gamma issue on the low end of the Sammy and gain back the lost detail. To do this you have to turn off the Dimming feature in the service menu for Movie Mode. It's a trade off though...you either get better blacks or better detail. I prefer the better detail with the backlight turned down to get most of the blacks back.....assuming a light controlled room.
post #474 of 520 Old 04-20-2009, 07:49 AM

you do have some gamma control in the advanced setting. I place my on +2. going thru the settings there are at least 4 areas that affect the black levels. so you have to make changes slowly and reevaluate often to discern the difference.
post #475 of 520 Old 04-23-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Did someone ever post the calibration results for the G10? I seem to have missed it.

Also, was was the measured black level of the G10?--an actual number, rather than a subjective assessment or screenshot.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #476 of 520 Old 04-23-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:

OIC. my bad then.

I guess it would be more like gourmet apples from Harry and David

I'd do the unthinkable for their pears. I think those things are the devil's work and more addictive than crack
post #477 of 520 Old 04-25-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malmsteen View Post

I'd do the unthinkable for their pears. I think those things are the devil's work and more addictive than crack

My wife would agree. I temp her often with these. heheheh
post #478 of 520 Old 04-25-2009, 01:55 PM

Hi Chad,

i have a question concerning your calibration of the Samsung. Did you encounter any problems with narrow spectral bandwidth on the Samsung? If yes which meters did you use?

thank you
post #479 of 520 Old 04-27-2009, 05:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well I've read through most of this thread and I can say that being a plasma fan, the LCD's are almost catching up. But I'm still not in the LCD camp mainly because of price and size. My current 65" plasma costs as much as a brand new 55" 7100. That's way too big of a price/size difference for a minor improvement in PQ. I was considering getting another 60+ inch thin panel set, and it looks like I'll be heading over to the plasma side.

Arguably if the Samsung was just slightly better (and judging from the pics I'd say only slightly), if you saw both of these in the store, I think the price is going to be the final deciding factor. And just by reading some of the posts here, it seems to be a major deciding factor for people here. If I was in the market for a set as small as the Samsung, I would still buy the plasma, because the Sammy beats it by a nose hair but is way more expensive. LCDs are making good improvements and has the small sized HD market locked down, but the big screen arena I think still belongs to plasma for the forseeable future.
post #480 of 520 Old 04-27-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

By the way, I have had Chad come and calibrate one of my tv's and he's pretty thorough and very knowledgable. I only wish he could come out to Hawaii and calibrate my plasma and LCD. I highly recommend him.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page