Samsung UN55B7100 VS Panasonic TH-50PZ800U VS Panasonic TC-P50G10 (Fully Calibrated) - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 520 Old 05-13-2009, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I wanted to share my experience with the 2 sets (b7000-G10e european version) when I was deciding which tv to buy. I saw both sets and initially the samsung looked more vivid and stunning, on the default movie setting, and with deeper black levels. However, with slight fine tuning the panasonic quickly surpassed the samsung. Also, the lcd had terrible motion response which is what made my choice a lot easier. I don't know if my eyes are more sensitive to ghosting but it was fairly obvious in panning and action scenes. Specifically, when people were running, parts of them appeared to be separating briefly and motion looked choppy. All sets were connected to sony Blu-ray players. Skin tones were definately oversaturated (which was partly corrected from the menu) and in slightly darker environment the panny outshines the samsung, as far as contrast and black levels are concerned. Also, the samsung loses a lot of detail in dark scenes, since it cheats to achieve black levels. Flashlighting is visible and there are times when there is backlight bleeding from the edges. The only reason I would prefer this tv is if I did all the watching in bright sunlight and needed a very slim tv for wall hanging. I just wanted to offer my 2 cents because some replies in this and other threads made my choice difficult when it shouldn't be. Finally for the first 100 hours that I have had the tv, there is no burn-in/ir, no fan noise even at 10cm and no heat exertion for those who think that all plasma tvs are the same.

ps: the gamma and w/b controls are really helpful in the european version and if panasonic gave more controls and didn't want to criple the set, in order to benefit the essentially same v10, this tv would have had huge sales over lcds.

I don't want to enforce my opinion or cause a tidal wave of reactions, but the fact that lcd tvs have almost destroyed plasma tvs seemed a bit ironic and stupid to me.Local-dimming led would probably be a far greater choice to the edge-lit.Bye!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 520 Old 05-14-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Well, it's not quite that simple. There's a laundry list of guaranteed or potential flaws with each:

General LCD Cons: flashlighting, uneven backlighting, clouding, guaranteed poor or unnatural motion via image interpolation, lit blacks, poor off-center viewing experience, expensive for an adequate model

General Plasma Cons: 100hr break-in, image retention, audible buzz, horizontal line bleeding, phosphor trails, heat/energy consumption, living in fear of burn-in

Pick your poison, basically, and hope you bring home a tv with relatively fewer defects.

Guaranteed or potential flaws? I think you are quite mistaken. The plasma "flaws" you mentioned are myths. The 100-hour break-in is 1) optional and 2) why it's a flaw to want to break in a plasma tv is beyond me? Image retention is not an issue, I have watched 8 hours straight of CNBC HD on my panny 850u and have never seen 1 spec of IR. Audible buzz? Do you live in the Himalayas? Horizontal line bleeding...don't know what that is, but sounds like a myth to me. Energy consumption? According to CNET the annual cost for my 850u is about $33, I think I can spare it. Phosphour trails has never been an issue for me and I play a lot of video games. Living in fear of burn in? I got over that once I realized it was a non-issue.

Your lcd flaws are real "defects" inherent to LCD technology, though it has come a long way. Your plasma flaws are not valid here. LCD and plasmas are terrific technologies and anyone who IS NOT ANAL, will experience amazing viewing experiences with any of the new hdtv models, be it led lcd or plasma.
post #513 of 520 Old 05-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugion View Post

Guaranteed or potential flaws? I think you are quite mistaken. The plasma "flaws" you mentioned are myths. The 100-hour break-in is 1) optional and 2) why it's a flaw to want to break in a plasma tv is beyond me? Image retention is not an issue, I have watched 8 hours straight of CNBC HD on my panny 850u and have never seen 1 spec of IR. Audible buzz? Do you live in the Himalayas? Horizontal line bleeding...don't know what that is, but sounds like a myth to me. Energy consumption? According to CNET the annual cost for my 850u is about $33, I think I can spare it. Phosphour trails has never been an issue for me and I play a lot of video games. Living in fear of burn in? I got over that once I realized it was a non-issue.

Your lcd flaws are real "defects" inherent to LCD technology, though it has come a long way. Your plasma flaws are not valid here. LCD and plasmas are terrific technologies and anyone who IS NOT ANAL, will experience amazing viewing experiences with any of the new hdtv models, be it led lcd or plasma.

Guy just cause you don't see it on yours don't mean it isn't true to the plasma TVs and those what he listed is mostly potential flaws!!!

Image retention is still there burn-in (permanent) is gone yes but not the ones that stay temporary. Horizontal line bleeding is possible but not non-existant. The trails is potentially a deal breaker for people who game and see it.

The LCD flaws like flashlighting and clouding is potential flaws. Many have said they don't have at it all so do those people have a right to say that is non-existent NOPE just like you have no saying in saying it is non-existent because it doesn't happen to you.

Xbox Live Gamertag: FELONY 301

PSN ID: FELONY--301

No problem adding people...
post #514 of 520 Old 05-16-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiano86 View Post

Could anyone with a calibrated tv post their settings on the forum? I have been messing with the 55 settings for some time now and it still doesn't feel right.

Playing my 360 is very annoying, I can't figure out how to get rid of the blurriness when turning and lots of a screen tearing(like the frame is being played ahead or is behind other pixels).

Is there any way to make it appear like it did on my 3253 sammy? Just display and not worry about the refresh rate and sync issues?

Overall the tv is awesome, waaaay too big for my room, but I don't care, it's a movie theater now, haha.

i've also got problems with this, and can't seem to get rid of this no matter what input i use, hdmi1\\dvi-PC, pc, gamemode, are there some calibrations that can be done in the servicemenu or am I stuck with a TV that generaly suck at gaming?
Please help....
post #515 of 520 Old 05-16-2009, 10:50 PM

I wanted to upgrade to a 42G10 from my 32 inch Panny LCD. I went to J&R where they have some clips running on the G10. Ratatoui, Dave Mattew's band and a couple of other clip looked flawless. But then a clip of Die Hard 5 came on where McClain jumps on top of a fast spinning F22 raptor that supposed to look grey. Well i saw phosphor trails that made the plane look green. Flawless in everything else but for me PERSONALY a deal breaker. My advised to everyone is to see one and if you eyes dont see a problem, you have yourself a great TV. No input lag, superior motion, deep blacks, a steal a price. I have motion issues with most brand LCDs except panasonic LCDs that seem to get no love around here. I return alot of other brands and love my Panny tc32lx700. I think its Panasonic's algorithm, processor or IPS panel that to my eyes, i dont have any issues with. IPS panels have no wash out upto 150 degress No B.S. But they are not as black as other types. Now if Panasonic would make LCD's bigger that 37 inches i would blindly buy one because whatever secret sause they put on my current LCD works for me. 32 to 37, 5 inches don't seem like a wise upgrade. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder also apply when buying a TV. Find that TV that you have less issue with and buy. Your eyes is all that matters. It sounds cliche but after months of research and many returns later this is how i ended up a happy buyer.
post #516 of 520 Old 05-17-2009, 01:16 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismor2 View Post

I wanted to upgrade to a 42G10 from my 32 inch Panny LCD. I went to J&R where they have some clips running on the G10. Ratatoui, Dave Mattew's band and a couple of other clip looked flawless. But then a clip of Die Hard 5 came on where McClain jumps on top of a fast spinning F22 raptor that supposed to look grey. Well i saw phosphor trails that made the plane look green. Flawless in everything else but for me PERSONALY a deal breaker. My advised to everyone is to see one and if you eyes dont see a problem, you have yourself a great TV. No input lag, superior motion, deep blacks, a steal a price. I have motion issues with most brand LCDs except panasonic LCDs that seem to get no love around here. I return alot of other brands and love my Panny tc32lx700. I think its Panasonic's algorithm, processor or IPS panel that to my eyes, i dont have any issues with. IPS panels have no wash out upto 150 degress No B.S. But they are not as black as other types. Now if Panasonic would make LCD's bigger that 37 inches i would blindly buy one because whatever secret sause they put on my current LCD works for me. 32 to 37, 5 inches don't seem like a wise upgrade. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder also apply when buying a TV. Find that TV that you have less issue with and buy. Your eyes is all that matters. It sounds cliche but after months of research and many returns later this is how i ended up a happy buyer.

the panasonic lcds have inferior image processing ,motion resolution and shadow details compared to samsung and sony.
while they do have the edge in viewing angle but they have poor contrast,even the new 09 panasonic lcds can't match the contrast levels of 07 lcd from samsung and sony.
post #517 of 520 Old 05-17-2009, 01:30 AM

Panasonic TH-50PZ800U is an excellent HDTV but not a good choice for a brightly lite room or where there is a source of light opposite the TV.
post #518 of 520 Old 05-17-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post

the panasonic lcds have inferior image processing ,motion resolution and shadow details compared to samsung and sony.
while they do have the edge in viewing angle but they have poor contrast,even the new 09 panasonic lcds can't match the contrast levels of 07 lcd from samsung and sony.

Yeah that's my point. Even with those flaws, the 6ms IPS panel/ Processor/ 120hz Algorithm/ no perceived input gamin lag, this LCD makes me happy over the Samsung and Sony LCDs that ive returned. I go to my friend's house who got a last Generation Samsung and when i watch or play Call of Duty 4 on his TV it brings me back to those LCDs ive returned. They might have higher contrast but i cant handle the motion they implemented. I compromised some contrast for my percieved motion handling. I would love to have the G10 but i dont think ill be happy with trails. Ive read quotes like your's here and never consider a Panasonic LCD during my research. On one of my many trips to my local store one day the panasonic made me happy with the compromises i was willing to live with. When you dont have those other TVs next to each other in your house all this "higher" contrast on the TVs you dont have goes out the window. My neighbor's Tv might have higher contrast, but the contrast i see on my TV is good to me. I feel for you guys that are upgrading or buying your first TV. Its a pain i know.
post #519 of 520 Old 05-18-2009, 12:52 PM

Who is saying that plasmas have bad white and dont have crisp pictures.. This is b.s. and old news.. Look at this pic of a 550 samsung.. Look at the perfect white and also the perfect crisp pic..
LL
post #520 of 520 Old 06-20-2009, 12:15 PM

The pic qualities are a little different in the posted pics to my eyes, but still photos mean very little when pretty much all programming has significant motion.

Does anyone have a comparison HD video they could post a link to to compare motion on both type sets?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page