Samsung UN55B7100 VS Panasonic TH-50PZ800U VS Panasonic TC-P50G10 (Fully Calibrated) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptoomey3 View Post

I agree with what a few others have noticed...it does seem the Samsung is cutting off quite a bit more of the image than the Panasonic. I know there can be small variations with this kind of thing between sets, but this seems pretty dramatic. Can you confirm both sets are properly configured? If so, what would account for such a dramatic amount of picture being cut off on the Samsung (and I am not talking about the stickers in the corners....there is quite a bit of picture cut off along the entire top of the images).

Thanks.

Just noticed that (after reading about it of course). That is a pretty decent chunk of the picture that is missing. I know someone mentioned stickers but it didn't appear to have stickers all the way around the bezel. In the daytime skyscraper shot that entire glared glass portion of the building in the upper right is missing.

EDIT: Might be just that picture/vid. The batman shots at the begining of the thread seem to show the same full image on both TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
With all respect to Chad B, the Brightness, or the Backlight, could just be set too low on the Samsung. It's even more likely that these pics should just be taken with a grain of salt.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #183 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapDoctor View Post

Just noticed that (after reading about it of course). That is a pretty decent chunk of the picture that is missing. I know someone mentioned stickers but it didn't appear to have stickers all the way around the bezel. In the daytime skyscraper shot that entire glared glass portion of the building in the upper right is missing.
EDIT: Might be just that picture/vid. The batman shots at the begining of the thread seem to show the same full image on both TVs.

opps, that may have been where the blu ray turned off, I had to find the sceen again. Might not have been the exact same pic.
post #184 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 AM

Guess a pan in (or whatever the term is) would explain it but the cars on the street appear to be in the same location. It's chopped all the way around so guess you were off by a couple frames. That's the only thing that makes sense.
post #185 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 10:51 AM

First of all, Congratulations for your reviews,
I have a question: in movies 24p How does the G10?, (without Real Cinema, compared with pz800 (yes Real Cinema)
post #186 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseybp View Post

It's really amazing that LCD technology has advanced to the point that it is considered right up there with Plasma. I know there are people that have a strong preference one way or the other but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three sets in this shootout. More a personal preference and budget choice than anything else.

I agree, except for the 'any of the three sets' comment.

If these pics are at all representative I couldn't really see myself with an 800U, considering what the G10 and 7100 can apparently do.

And with Pioneer going away, and LED LCDs getting to be so good, the traditional plasma "We blow you away in pic quality!" argument doesn't seem to hold water anymore. And, 240+Hz plus a general evolution of the motion-enhancement software on LCDs may have the potential to minimize plasma's motion-handling advantage as well.

Thus, plasma-patriot arguments going forward are going to be more like "We're cheaper, and got better viewing angles!".

Entirely valid arguments, btw. The G10's price-performance ratio appears to be quite awesome. And the timing for being good while being relatively cheap couldn't be better.

"SED's dead, baby. SED's dead."
post #187 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1 View Post

It took me awhile to find it, but once you do you'll see that the Panny shows alot more details in the dark, shadowy parts of the picture.

If it takes a "while" to find the differences, it won't be noticeable while sitting down and viewing a movie. So unless you pause and step advance through your movies as if you're the lead lab tech in CSI, then nobody would be able to tell the difference.
post #188 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 12:02 PM

Gosh darn it...! Now I will have to consider a G10 into my future purchase. It was so much easier a month ago when the 950 was the set to beat- no disrespect to the "Holy Grail," the soon to be extinct Elite Kuro,... it just wasn't impressive to me.

Anyway IMO, the G10 does have better black detail. On the other hand, the 7100 does seem to have the sharper, better contrast. Difference is slight, but when I look at the water in the daylight city shot- there seems to be a bit more texture/contrast. While the G10 shows more during the night city shot- buildings were more clear and defined and so are the streets. I will have to see these sets in person.

They are pretty damn close in PQ.
post #189 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
as an admitted plasma lover...I did love the noise free picture of last years Sammy's...all things being about equal, if this Sammy is better in the pic noise department, then that will put it over the top for me!
post #190 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

and I was referring to the 650 and above...as the noise free sets.
post #191 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

opps, that may have been where the blu ray turned off, I had to find the sceen again. Might not have been the exact same pic.

The Samsung cuts off more area than the Panasonic in ALL pictures. Is it not the same frame in all picture comparisons? This may seem petty and minor to some, but this irks me.
post #192 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Just one shot that happened. It has to be the angle or something, every shot the Samsung is 16.9 screen size. I can see it here with my eyes.
post #193 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKing View Post

If it takes a "while" to find the differences, it won't be noticeable while sitting down and viewing a movie. So unless you pause and step advance through your movies as if you're the lead lab tech in CSI, then nobody would be able to tell the difference.

Ironically, it probably works out to be quite the opposite in practice. The borderline crushing on the Samsung is going to make it impossible for your eyes to adjust quickly enough (in contrasting scene shifts) to appreciate their "subtle but accurate" gamma choice.
post #194 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 View Post

And with Pioneer going away, and LED LCDs getting to be so good, the traditional plasma "We blow you away in pic quality!" argument doesn't seem to hold water anymore. And, 240+Hz plus a general evolution of the motion-enhancement software on LCDs may have the potential to minimize plasma's motion-handling advantage as well.

Thus, plasma-patriot arguments going forward are going to be more like "We're cheaper, and got better viewing angles!".

Cheaper, better viewing angle, and better picture. Seems like a no brainer to me.
post #195 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Chris,

what about the noise levels of each?
post #196 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 03:04 PM

Thanks Chris.

I didn't expect that at all but the Pnasonic looks better to me in the light. Course it looks like you flinched a little on the samsung one so that might explain it. Either way they look pretty even in daylight.

Edit: And man that's a bright room. Sure you aren't based on the surface of the sun?
post #197 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapDoctor View Post

Thanks Chris.

I didn't expect that at all but the Pnasonic looks better to me in the light. Course it looks like you flinched a little on the samsung one so that might explain it. Either way they look pretty even in daylight.

Edit: And man that's a bright room. Sure you aren't based on the surface of the sun?

Did I miss the pictures taken in daylight?
post #198 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 03:23 PM

Hmm, they were there a minute ago. Maybe I'm losing my mind.
post #199 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Well the Samsung gets more light so this is not fair. (Anyone can easily see this I would think.) But here they are.

Panasonic TC-P50G10

Samsung UN55B7100

LL
LL
post #200 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 03:32 PM

Thanks Chris for posting those pictures. Does it have a Matte screen?
post #201 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 03:36 PM

I can see what I assume is you anmd the room in the reflection off the Panasonic but don't see any reflections in the Samsung. Is that true to life or just a function of the angle you took the pics at?
post #202 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Well the Samsung gets more light so this is not fair. (Anyone can easily see this I would think.) But here they are.

Panasonic TC-P50G10

Samsung UN55B7100

okay, these photo's confirm/reafirm that the samsung b7100 is definitely croping the image by a lot. it's easy to see with the windows. it's not the angle of the photo. what IS it?

is it a bug inherrent in the set? or setting?

and the photo of the samsung is washed out, all of it, bezel included. is this a function of the extra light hitting hit, it looks almost like a haze.

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #203 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

i have to say the panasonic when's in every picture but not by much. it be real interesting if chris could through in a kuro elite or an xbr8 =)
post #204 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 05:37 PM

Chris,

Could you make photos to Sweeney Todd or Sin City films ????

With these films, I think that we could see the real PQ (blacks and shadow detail) of the TVs (7100 and G10).

Thank you.

I'm sorry for repeat me.
post #205 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc View Post

okay, these photo's confirm/reafirm that the samsung b7100 is definitely croping the image by a lot. it's easy to see with the windows. it's not the angle of the photo. what IS it?

and the photo of the samsung is washed out, all of it, bezel included. is this a function of the extra light hitting hit, it looks almost like a haze.

TVbc

It's obviously set to 16:9 (overscan), rather than Just Scan (1:1) (it's actually named something different on the new models, rather than 'Just Scan', I think it is named 'Scan Only'). Everyone needs to stop freaking out about this.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #206 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

It's obviously set to 16:9 (overscan), rather than Just Scan (1:1) (it's actually named something different on the new models, rather than 'Just Scan', I think it is named 'Scan Only'). Everyone needs to stop freaking out about this.

it's an observation and a question. you need stop freaking out with your answer.

if it's that easy, let's see what it looks like set up right. i assume the owner/dealer knows how to do that and will let us know if that makes a difference....

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #207 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_AD View Post

In the city/traffic photo, I think that the Panasonic might have a slight bump in the shadow curve. The contrast looks a little more "full range" with the Samsung to me. It appears that the Panasonic is flattening out the image and also bit lighter than it should be in the lower end. I believe that the Samsung version is closer to the way the scene was intended.
In the photo of the city scene with the traffic in the lower left corner, take a look at the progress bar contrast and black level. The Panasonic is quite a bit lighter and washed out, and I do not believe that photo is useful for comparison

The rest of the A/B shots are more useful for comparison...

I agree. The G10 whites seem to be a bit too intense. Not only is the progress bar blooming, the sky at the middle top of the skyline pics is washed out, as are the skin tones of the man-in-the-car closeup. That extra brightness could also account for the extra "shadow detail" (btw, funny how none of those eagle-eyed plasma mavens have mentioned any of that...).

But it's so close all we can really from these pics tell is how good a photographer Chris is... Just kidding... enjoying the hell out of this thread Chris, thanks again...
post #208 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Man are you guys blind lol

its obvious the Plasma has better shadow detail.
post #209 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal View Post

Man are you guys blind lol

its obvious the Plasma has better shadow detail.

Stop that stupid rant already. We all know you are plasma fanboy, no need to emphasize it all the time.
post #210 of 520 Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc View Post

TVbc

I wasn't really looking before, I see what you are saying now. On the Samsung remote there is a P. SIZE button. Changes the picture size/zoom. Unit was on "16.9" but must really want to be on "screen fit". All fixed.

On a side note I sure have a bright room. Good thing the Swan speakers block a few windows.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page