Custom WestingHouse Firmware - VeW Project - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 71 Old 03-10-2009, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3/10 Update: If you'd like to get your LCD supported, upload the latest firmware here: http://saguratus.com/nick/westinghouse_vew/upload
3/12 Update: First builds are working! Firmware is available only by request for now
3/25 Update: Trident has agreed to opensource the GPL components in the firmware, which is effectively everything

Greetings everyone,
I recently took up a bit of a side project to do some heavy firmware modification for Westinghouse LCDs, since the current firmware is rather lackluster and prone to some rather nasty bugs (HDCP key negotiation).

In short, I hope to add support for:
Booting from USB (No Flashing Required)
USB Wifi
USB Storage
MP3 Playback / Streaming Audio
Low Level Panel Tweaking on the OSD
Terminal on the OSD
Keyboard Support
RSS Feeds

Luckily, it seems that most, if not all westinghouse panels run Linux; so any panel with a USB port should be able to support this firmware. At this time however, there will only be support for the TX-52F480S 52" LCD until someone can provide me with the firmware for different models.

I'll be doing the first live flash on my panel a little later today, and I'll follow with screenshots and an initial release if all goes as planned.

Here's the current readme, and a bootlogo screenshot
Code:
VeW Firmware V0.1 03.10.09  **UNTESTED BUILD**

Note:  Flashing your LCD or any device always presents a risk of bricking (or in this case, tabling) your device.  Always use caution and make sure you know what you're doing.  That said, there is in fact little risk of a bad flash or damaged firmware on this panel, as the built-in computer will always attempt to boot safe-kernel.img1 off of a USB drive and perform a flash, making it very difficult, if not impossible to accidentally end up with a very expensive new coffee table.

This is an initial firmware test build, to verify the toolchain being used yields a working firmware image.  If the flash is successful, you will see the new logo upon booting the LCD up.  This firmware does not include any major changes at this time, and is purely experimental.

===========
=  Notes  =
===========
Shame on Westinghouse for using GPL'd code and not releasing the source.  The GPL-Violations project is now aware of it, and if we're really lucky, Westinghouse will either release the source or be taken to court.
If you feel like donating to support this project, please do!  Every dollar means I can work less and spend more time on projects like this.  Donation links for paypal and credit are available here: http://saguratus.com/donate
Be sure to leave your name and email, as well as any feature requests or comments.

The TX-52F480S LCD has 16MB of NAND Flash and uses a MIPS CPU.  This means that Audio (MP3, OGG, FLAC, etc) and Network/Wifi support are very doable, however video and other types of multimedia are not (Especially flash).  A built in browser will likely be sluggish, but fairly trivial and worth a shot.

====================
=  Steps to flash  =
====================
1. Format a USB drive as FAT32
2. Copy update_LCD1080CX.tgz and safe-kernel.img1 to the drive
3. Unplug the LCD
4. Insert the drive into the USB slot in the LCD
5. Plug in the LCD and wait.  You will see the power light blink orange for approximately 45 seconds.  When it turns Blue, unplug the drive and LCD 
6. Plug in the LCD and enjoy the VeW Firmware!

=====================
=  Version History  =
=====================
v0.1
    Initial firmware build
    Bootup Logo changed
    (PENDING) Boot firmware from USB (No flashing needed)

=====================
=  Milestone Goals  =
=====================
v0.2
    HDCP Code Fixes, HDCP disable
    Kernel Update to 2.6 (Need Module Sources from Westinghouse)
v0.3
    Terminal in OSD Support
    Keyboard Support/Redirection to OSD
    Low level panel tweaking via OSD
v0.4
    USB Hub support
    UHCI/EHCI mass storage support (16MB Flash isn't going to cut it)
v0.5
    Streaming Audio and MP3 support
    802.11b/g/n USB Wireless Support
v1.0
    Web Browser, RSS Feeds, and beyond.

=========
Problems?

======================================
=  Solid Orange LED (Flash Failure)  =
======================================
If your LCD fails to flash the new firmware (Orange power LED never blinks), you'll need a different USB drive.  For some reason, the low level bootloader on the westinghouse can not recognize all USB drives.

====================
=  Recovery Steps  =
====================
While this should never happen, if your LCD flashes, but fails to boot, make absolutely sure no device is in the USB port.
If it still doesn't come up from a cold boot, you must have an unsupported model, and you'll need to use the firmware downloader from westinghouse
1. Download the stock firmware for your LCD from here: http://www.westinghousedigital.com/firmware.aspx
2. Repeat flashing steps

Click for Full Resolution

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 03-10-2009, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have an SK-26h520s model. I have a winrar file from the Westinghouse support page for this model that is supposed to be a firmware update to fix a buzzing noise from the speakers. It doesn't completely fix the problem though. But, is that what you're looking for? If so, let me have your email address and I can send it to you. The winrar is only 4.4M in size.
post #3 of 71 Old 03-10-2009, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not quite sure if it'll be possible to fix a buzzing noise, as it likely has a non-firmware related cause, however I'll certainly investigate it and add support for it if I can. You can upload firmware images here: http://saguratus.com/nick/westinghouse_vew/upload/
post #4 of 71 Old 03-10-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saguratus View Post

I'm not quite sure if it'll be possible to fix a buzzing noise, as it likely has a non-firmware related cause, however I'll certainly investigate it and add support for it if I can. You can upload firmware images here: http://saguratus.com/nick/westinghouse_vew/upload/

Sure, I understand. Just thought if you had any other improvements to the firmware that you've found, and that they are compatible with this set, why not give them a try. Thanks for you efforts.
post #5 of 71 Old 03-10-2009, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I may have some good news. Your LCD also runs Linux, and the problem appears that it can be fixed with some work. Better yet, whoever designed the main lcd driver application decided to bunch it all up into a single executable (/CARD/app), which links in countless GPL licensed libraries. I'd highly recommend nagging westinghouse for the source code, as well as notifying gpl-violations and anyone else you can. The other good news is that your panel sports some pretty decent hardware in it, far better than anything I've seen so far. The bad news is that I don't have the time to disassemble and modify a binary that is using undocumented libraries provided from ATI, and I don't have the LCD to test best-guess modifications on. Just so you're aware, your lcd is potentially a hackers dream -it's capable of hardware video playback, 3d rendering, and it even sports cablecard functionality; at least on the inside.

Here's a link to the audio strings dump from /CARD/app to give you a bit of an idea about how it works
http://saguratus.com/nick/westinghou...520S.audio.txt
post #6 of 71 Old 03-11-2009, 12:32 PM

saguratus, thanks for the information. But unfortunately, I'm not a sofware engineer. So much of what is in the file you've provided doesn't mean much to me. I sure wish someone like you were close by

I can't believe that this thing has CableCard functionality. I'd love it if I could use cc on this thing. Anyway, thanks for your time.
post #7 of 71 Old 03-11-2009, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Just for a bit of an update, the first few builds of VeW are running on my 52" Westinghouse, photos will follow tomorrow. Currently working on extracting the full MTD contents in order to rebuild a working base system from scratch that will boot off of USB, so you can try out the firmware without actually flashing your set. This will also make development less destructive, since the nand memory within the LCD can only be written to a limited number of times before becoming faulty.

Edit: Also wanted to mention, I have confirmed first hand that it is in fact very difficult to brick the LCD by doing firmware updates, as I've already corrupted the flash numerous times without issue. The trident bootloader (rebadged u-boot?) will always attempt to boot from the USB, no matter what condition the flash is in.
post #8 of 71 Old 03-27-2009, 03:21 PM

It looks like you are doing some really great work. I am wondering if you might be able to take a look at something. A couple months ago I "bricked" my westinghouse TV performing a firmware update(I was hoping it would fix an issue with HDCP handshaking). The model# is SK-32H240S and the part# is TW-50601-C032A(which makes a difference because there are two different part numbers with different firmware updates.) All that the barely-existent tech support could tell me is that there is nothing that can be done and the only option is to purchase a new TV. I've found a few other people online that are in the exact same situation.

If you are interested in a more detailed description of the issue, you can find it here:
www(dot)justanswer(dot)com/questions/1qw7y-westinghouse-32-inch-lcd-tv-sk
(It won't let me submit a link yet since I'm new to this forum)

So... I'm hoping that maybe if I uploaded the firmware for you then perhaps you could tell me if there is any hope since you're the most knowledgeable person I've found on this topic.

I will be extremely appreciative for any advice or help you can provide.

Thank you,
drewtwo
post #9 of 71 Old 03-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Don't quite understand how you say it is hard to brick these Westinghouse TV's, There are threads that state quite the opposite. Not quite sure what you mean as with any kind of firmware update if it fails mid update the chip is bricked thus bricking the TV. Only way I see that you are recovering from it, Is that the firmware hadn't started writing yet. Enlighten us?
post #10 of 71 Old 04-01-2009, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar24 View Post

Don't quite understand how you say it is hard to brick these Westinghouse TV's, There are threads that state quite the opposite. Not quite sure what you mean as with any kind of firmware update if it fails mid update the chip is bricked thus bricking the TV. Only way I see that you are recovering from it, Is that the firmware hadn't started writing yet. Enlighten us?

While I can't say for certain this holds true for Westinghouse sets other than the 52", you can always recover from a bad flash provided you have a good firmware image.

In the 52" Westinghouse, the boot process is very straight forward. If there's a USB device present, it will attempt to boot a kernel image (safekernel_gz) from it. The boot code for this set is not in a writable space, and so long as the firmware you have is usable for your set, it is always possible to recover from a bad flash. However, if the firmware you tried using caused a bad flash to begin with, there's likely a problem with either your firmware image or with the hardware itself.

I have, on numerous occasions, not only interrupted a flash, but flashed a mtd0 that I forgot to convert to big endian, causing the LCD to refuse to boot. Every time I was able to flash back to stock firmware to get the set working again.

On a side note, there is a serial port available on the computer within the LCD which can be used to obtain a terminal if you're having issues writing to mtd0. I haven't pulled my set apart, and I'd be certain you won't find an actual db9 connector, but there's likely either a header or labeled contacts.

Trident is soley responsible for all of the electronics and code on the 52", so everything I've mentioned may very likely not apply to other sets, especially those using ATI/AMD video processors.

drewtwo - I'd recommend trying to obtain the firmware for the other model and trying to flash it again. If you still don't have any luck, send me your firmware using the link in the original post, and I'll take a look at it.
post #11 of 71 Old 04-11-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo View Post

It looks like you are doing some really great work. I am wondering if you might be able to take a look at something. A couple months ago I "bricked" my westinghouse TV performing a firmware update(I was hoping it would fix an issue with HDCP handshaking). The model# is SK-32H240S and the part# is TW-50601-C032A(which makes a difference because there are two different part numbers with different firmware updates.) All that the barely-existent tech support could tell me is that there is nothing that can be done and the only option is to purchase a new TV. I've found a few other people online that are in the exact same situation.

If you are interested in a more detailed description of the issue, you can find it here:
www(dot)justanswer(dot)com/questions/1qw7y-westinghouse-32-inch-lcd-tv-sk
(It won't let me submit a link yet since I'm new to this forum)

So... I'm hoping that maybe if I uploaded the firmware for you then perhaps you could tell me if there is any hope since you're the most knowledgeable person I've found on this topic.

I will be extremely appreciative for any advice or help you can provide.

Thank you,
drewtwo

I have the exact same problem. I have a SK-32H510S which according to the Westinghouse website uses the same firmware as the SK-32H520S TVs and tried to update the firmware for the TW-50601-C032A only for it to freeze. Now, when I plug in the TV the Westinghouse boot screen comes up but that's it.

Saguratus,

Do you have any possible solutions to this problem? Any information would help greatly! Thanks...
post #12 of 71 Old 04-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze777 View Post

I have the exact same problem. I have a SK-32H510S which according to the Westinghouse website uses the same firmware as the SK-32H520S TVs and tried to update the firmware for the TW-50601-C032A only for it to freeze. Now, when I plug in the TV the Westinghouse boot screen comes up but that's it.

Saguratus,

Do you have any possible solutions to this problem? Any information would help greatly! Thanks...

This is what I'm talking about with failed firmware upgrades, If you can truly get out of a failed Firmware upgrade, Westinghouse would be one of the first to get around this. I have had a failed Firmware upgrade on a motherboard and there is no way around fixing it without replacing the chip. Its also a reason why Gigabyte motherboards put 2 firmware chips on some of their computer boards to recover from a failed upgrade. While I understand what your saying Saguratus I haven't seen anyone but you be able to recover from a failed firmware upgrade on these Westinghouse TV's.
post #13 of 71 Old 04-12-2009, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

This is what I'm talking about with failed firmware upgrades, If you can truly get out of a failed Firmware upgrade, Westinghouse would be one of the first to get around this. I have had a failed Firmware upgrade on a motherboard and there is no way around fixing it without replacing the chip. Its also a reason why Gigabyte motherboards put 2 firmware chips on some of their computer boards to recover from a failed upgrade. While I understand what your saying Saguratus I haven't seen anyone but you be able to recover from a failed firmware upgrade on these Westinghouse TV's.

there is always a way to re flash the firmware once the device has been "Bricked" due to a bad flash

the question is does the mainboard inside the TV have a proper interface built in for programming the flash chip like a JTAG connection, if it doesn't then you gota remove the flash chip and stick it into a reader/writer made for its type

I used to tinker with sat receivers and that involved lots of re flashing of a TSOP, if it went bad the device just didnt respond correctly but was always recoverable by a correction of the cause of the problem and a re flash

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #14 of 71 Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

there is always a way to re flash the firmware once the device has been "Bricked" due to a bad flash

the question is does the mainboard inside the TV have a proper interface built in for programming the flash chip like a JTAG connection, if it doesn't then you gota remove the flash chip and stick it into a reader/writer made for its type

I used to tinker with sat receivers and that involved lots of re flashing of a TSOP, if it went bad the device just didnt respond correctly but was always recoverable by a correction of the cause of the problem and a re flash

Yes if you remove the chip and re flash it, I understand that, But this isn't something he is doing and no one else I have seen who have bricked their Westinghouse TV's are able to fix it. They stick in the flash drive and it does nothing which makes sense to me because the TV is basically brainless at that point.
post #15 of 71 Old 04-18-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes if you remove the chip and re flash it, I understand that, But this isn't something he is doing and no one else I have seen who have bricked their Westinghouse TV's are able to fix it. They stick in the flash drive and it does nothing which makes sense to me because the TV is basically brainless at that point.

This may be limited to the 52", the only other Westinghouse set I have on hand is a 42", which lacks a usb port. The firmware update for the 52" never touches the bootloader code. The part which is mapped / flashed, mtd0, only contains the OS and userspace data. There is a bootloader outside of this which will always attempt to boot a kernel off of a usb device if present. This may not be true for other models, and if it isn't, you could certainly brick your set to where pulling it apart and using a JTAG is the only way to get it working again.

Edit: Thank you for those who have uploaded firmware, I now have original images for the sets below:
SK-26H520S
SK-32H240S
SK-32H510S
TX-52F480S
post #16 of 71 Old 04-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This may be limited to the 52", the only other Westinghouse set I have on hand is a 42", which lacks a usb port. The firmware update for the 52" never touches the bootloader code. The part which is mapped / flashed, mtd0, only contains the OS and userspace data. There is a bootloader outside of this which will always attempt to boot a kernel off of a usb device if present. This may not be true for other models, and if it isn't, you could certainly brick your set to where pulling it apart and using a JTAG is the only way to get it working again.

Edit: Thank you for those who have uploaded firmware, I now have original images for the sets below:
SK-26H520S
SK-32H240S
SK-32H510S
TX-52F480S

I'm thinking that maybe the case, I have the TX-47 which I never tried to upgrade as the firmware releases from Westinghouse left a lot to be desired as no one firmware seemed to make things OK, It either made something else worse while maybe fixing something else. I know within the Westinghouse TX thread there are several bricked TX-47's as well.
post #17 of 71 Old 04-18-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:

SK-26H520S
SK-32H240S
SK-32H510S
TX-52F480S

If I'm not mistaken you mentioned the firmware for westinghouse LCD TVs is based on linux code. The firmware download from westinghouse is a linux *.bin file correct? I'm assuming the LCD computer can't boot from a *.bin file so how do you extract the update file and linux kernel from the *.bin file? Could I just extract those files to a flash drive and reload the stock firmware that way?
post #18 of 71 Old 04-30-2009, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze777 View Post

If I'm not mistaken you mentioned the firmware for westinghouse LCD TVs is based on linux code. The firmware download from westinghouse is a linux *.bin file correct? I'm assuming the LCD computer can't boot from a *.bin file so how do you extract the update file and linux kernel from the *.bin file? Could I just extract those files to a flash drive and reload the stock firmware that way?

Normally, the updates contain: A kernel, basic utilities and a linux system to check the versions and perform the flash, and the flash images themselves (usually in the form of cramfs filesystems packed together in an mtd image).

Most firmware from westinghouse I've seen comes packed in .tgz - the only way to boot and flash the firmware is to follow the instructions they provide. In the case of the 52", it's rather straightforward, and the entire process can easily be taken over.

Extracting the contents of a .tgz file is quite trivial, any decent archive manager should handle it. Linux users won't need anything additional. If you'd like to extract the cramfs images on the other hand (and furthermore mount them), it gets a bit trickier. You need to manually extract the images by hand with dd and/or a hexeditor, convert to little-endian, then mount on a loopback device in Linux. Unfortunately these sets run very old kernels (early 2.4), and repacking the cramfs images and mtd image is not a trivial task. This all has to be done by hand if you don't have the extremely old toolchain and utilities used, and I've found them to be impossible to locate.

The .bin file you're talking about could in fact be an ELF or an archive - have you checked?
post #19 of 71 Old 05-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
@saguaratus, nice work ... I am a hardware designer so your work is both intriguing and exciting. I am tempted to pick up a panel just to hack it. Nice work!
post #20 of 71 Old 05-01-2009, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymanme View Post

@saguaratus, nice work ... I am a hardware designer so your work is both intriguing and exciting. I am tempted to pick up a panel just to hack it. Nice work!

Thanks, I appreciate any and all feedback, and I just sent off another batch of emails to Trident/Westinghouse prodding for a timeframe on the code release. If it's not going to be soon, I'll see if I can expedite the legal issue and hack up an intermediate release in the meantime. All modifications so far are working perfectly on my panel (keyboard support, blind terminal, few other tweaks), but I'd really like to do a lot more with it without having to resort to using assembly to make changes.
post #21 of 71 Old 05-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

I used to have a Westinghouse 37" HDTV/Monitor (LVM37W3 I think was the model) and wanted to know how the quality of these current HDTV's stacks up? The 37" monitor had basically no input lag although the contrast ratio left a lot to be desired. I currently have 46" Samsung A850 that I use on a daily basis but I'd like a second TV for my computer.

Thanks.
post #22 of 71 Old 05-01-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:

SK-26H520S
SK-32H240S
SK-32H510S
TX-52F480S

FWIW, I uploaded TX-42F430S firmware (part # TW-51101-L042A).

Rgds
Stephen
post #23 of 71 Old 05-01-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:

All modifications so far are working perfectly on my panel (keyboard support, blind terminal, few other tweaks), but I'd really like to do a lot more with it without having to resort to using assembly to make changes.

If I can vote for "things to do"
#1 Fix the HDCP crashing issue (really annoying!)
#2 Fix the black-level changes (black isn't a constant; dunno if this is firmware issue or deeper into the hardware)
#3 Fix the green color bias (again, dunno if this is firmware or hardware)

Rgds
Stephen
post #24 of 71 Old 05-01-2009, 08:42 PM

saguratus:

I uploaded a set of firmware for my SK-32H240S through your web app. The firmware I uploaded is for the TW-50601 model, this was the first gen model with with the graphic based user menu.

There was a second model, TW-50602, which uses a text based menu. The 50602 may also use entirely different hardware (at a min the power supply board is different and my guess is the mainboard is different too).

Anyway, if you wouldn't have some spare time to take a look at the firmware. The complaints I have:

1. Bug with external speaker mode. If you turn the volume up on the TV while in external speaker mode, the TV falls back to internal speakers at whatever volume you set. This is a pain since the only way to get a signal from the output is to set the volume at 80 or higher, so you get blasted with volume.

2. Can't adjust volume when "No Source" is detected.

3. Terrible HDCP Handshaking. This screen flashes static and pops loudly for like 30 seconds with the Playstation 3.

4. White become blue problem. I suspect that this is the result of the powersupply board overheating and causing the board voltage to fluctuate.

Anything you can do would be awesome.

Thanks,

-Nick
post #25 of 71 Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 PM

One other note, here is what I mean about the blue:

-Nick
post #26 of 71 Old 05-01-2009, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

I can't make any promises just yet for other models and firmwares, but I'll definitely look into what I can do once I've got some time (currently without income working on a large project which will hopefully bring in something to cover bills). It will be a _massive_ help if you can call, email, mail, or otherwise do anything to request the GPL licensed source code for these firmwares. Anything that'll speed up the process will be highly beneficial for all of us. Westinghouse does not have access to the source code for most of their firmwares (or so I'm told), but they can influence the chip manufacturers to expedite GPL compliance since they are a large purchaser.
post #27 of 71 Old 05-02-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:

I can't make any promises just yet for other models and firmwares, but I'll definitely look into what I can do once I've got some time (currently without income working on a large project which will hopefully bring in something to cover bills). It will be a _massive_ help if you can call, email, mail, or otherwise do anything to request the GPL licensed source code for these firmwares. Anything that'll speed up the process will be highly beneficial for all of us. Westinghouse does not have access to the source code for most of their firmwares (or so I'm told), but they can influence the chip manufacturers to expedite GPL compliance since they are a large purchaser.

Have you thought about contacting the EFF? I'm pretty sure I remember them taking up GPL cases in the past.
This isn't the first time a company has been forced to release the source for their firmware because they used code under a GPL licence. The FSF filed suit against Cisco for GPL violations in their Linksys routers.
post #28 of 71 Old 05-02-2009, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguarr View Post

Have you thought about contacting the EFF? I'm pretty sure I remember them taking up GPL cases in the past.
This isn't the first time a company has been forced to release the source for their firmware because they used code under a GPL licence. The FSF filed suit against Cisco for GPL violations in their Linksys routers.

I've already been in contact with the Software Freedom Law Center, the BusyBox developers, and a number of other people - including Westinghouse's Lawyer. Making this into a legal issue isn't a problem, it's how long it'll take to force Trident to release the code. The last communication I had with Trident was a month ago, stating they would comply with the GPL and release the code; I haven't heard anything since.

If it turns out Trident's just going to try and ignore the issue, I will be contacting everyone who holds rights to the code as well as the FSF. I'd doubt if the EFF would be interested in it, but it's certainly worth a shot.
post #29 of 71 Old 05-02-2009, 06:46 PM

I uploaded the 32H240S TW-50602 firmware, as well. Although I do not recall if I added this into the description.
post #30 of 71 Old 05-08-2009, 11:53 AM

Does anybody know if there is firmware available from Westinghouse's site for
ltv-32w6hd. I can't log in my serial number and calling their support sucks.

Also will this custom firmware have support for my T.V.?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page