Official Samsung LED UNxxB6100, UNxxB7100, and UNxxB8100 Owners Thread, Pt. II - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2009, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by poison123 View Post

Ok so here's the question. I have a chance to get a UN55B7000 for dealer cost....is the 7000 the exact same set as the 7100 or is there a difference?

I believe the only difference is that the 7000 has red toc. You would be crazy not to jump on this if you're getting it at dealer cost!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiano86 View Post

I'm not sure if it is built in or not, but on my 55" 7100 I get some unencrypted channels like stars and such even though I have the most basic cable imaginable.

Do you get your local stations in HD through the cable service? If not what you are probably getting is analog cable (NTSC). If you do get the local stations in HD (without an antenna or cable box) that would be unencrypted digital cable (QAM).
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_AD View Post

This is a quote from the E manual for the 7000/7100

"List of Features
Excellent Digital Interface & Networking: With a built-in HD digital tuner, non-subscription HD broadcasts can be viewed with no Cable Box/Satellite reciever (Set Top Box) needed."

This seems to imply that a QAM tuner is included because it mentions non-subscription HD broadcasts. (I'm assuming that OTA broadcasts would not have an option for a subscription...)

That opens the door a crack, but it doesn't completely seal the deal. They could still be talking about OTA digital tuner capability (ATSC).
Old 03-19-2009, 12:26 AM

They claim on abt and best buy to have QAM tuners and 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio..
Old 03-19-2009, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What's the scoop on these poopers??

Are we talking 100% GLOSS here, or does one of the lines have semi-matte?

Tell me it ain't so, you lyin' Big-O .
Old 03-19-2009, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullouisj View Post

They claim on abt and best buy to have QAM tuners and 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio..

1,000,000:1 Contrast ratio. Yeah right! lol I wonder what the real work ratio is?

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
Old 03-19-2009, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_1080p View Post

What's the scoop on these poopers??

Are we talking 100% GLOSS here, or does one of the lines have semi-matte?

Tell me it ain't so, you lyin' Big-O .

Should be the same as the A650 series in that regard. Maybe slightly less reflective.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
Old 03-19-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullouisj View Post

I found the manual online and in addition to David_AD post from the manual there was a portion in the Channel Menu you can program the air or cable channels. It states:

* When selecting the Cable TV system: Selects the cable system. STD, HRC and IRC identify various types of cable TV systems. Contact your local cable company to identify the type of cable system that exists in your particular area. At this point the signal source has been selected.
* After all the available channels are stored, it starts to remove scrambled channels (Clearing Scrambled Channels). The Auto program menu then reappears.

Also under the Plug and Play Feature section it states:
* In Cable mode, you can select the correct signal source among STD, HRC and IRC by pressing the [UP,DN.LT, or RT] button, then press the ENTER button. If you have Digital cable, select the cable system signal source for both Analog and Digital. Contact your local cable company to identify the type of cable system that exists in your particular area.

I am becoming convinced that the guy at Best Buy was wrong about the TV not having a QAM tuner. I doubt anyone here is shocked that a Best Buy employee would give erroneous information, but when you are looking at such a major purchase one wants to be 100% certain, especially if buying from an online seller. Still it would be comforting for an owner to confirm the existence of a QAM tuner beyond any doubt.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclnz View Post

Do you get your local stations in HD through the cable service? If not what you are probably getting is analog cable (NTSC). If you do get the local stations in HD (without an antenna or cable box) that would be unencrypted digital cable (QAM).

Does this mean you have to speak to your cable company first... or do you simply plug it into the wall and get the channels?

smiling's my favorite...
Old 03-19-2009, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Technically these TVs are LED, not LCD (at least that's what Samsung calls them on their Website). Do LED TVs deserve a separate forum from LCD? What is the difference between flat-panel LED versus flat-panel LCD when it comes to dead pixels, brightness life, brightness uniformity, backlight bleeding, etc.? Should I ask this question in a separate thread in this forum?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

Technically these TVs are LED, not LCD (at least that's what Samsung calls them on their Website). Do LED TVs deserve a separate forum from LCD? What is the difference between flat-panel LED versus flat-panel LCD when it comes to dead pixels, brightness life, brightness uniformity, backlight bleeding, etc.? Should I ask this question in a separate thread in this forum?

No they are LCD TV's that are LED back or actually in this case side lit. Just because Samsung is naming them LED doesn't mean we need a whole new forum.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

No they are LCD TV's that are LED back or actually in this case side lit. Just because Samsung is naming them LED doesn't mean we need a whole new forum.

So the panel/screen is LCD, but the backlighting is LED, not LCD? Is that what you're saying?

I guess this Website/Webpage and Wikipedia will give me my answers, sort of: http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php...5180&Itemid=40

"What exactly is LED backlighting as it pertains to an LCD TV? Just hold on a minute Wikipedia is still loading…. And it’s done. A flat panel LCD is really a type of projector although not really recognizable in the traditional form. To generate the image that you see from your couch, fluorescent tubes have been used to shine light through a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD). The LCD panel is used to filter the light that reaches your eyes. Think of it in a very basic sense as a bunch of shutters that open and close. Using a fluorescent tube produce the light is a very rough approach and it results in a lot of wasted light as well as a lot of light bleeding through when you want a black color. LED backlighting allows for a much more precise application of the light resulting in less light loss, deeper black and more vivid colors. However LED lighting is not a coup de gras in that it can bring in problems of its own. A long term concern has been that as the display ages the LEDs will decay at a different rate resulting in an uneven image later on in the lifecycle. Regardless of this caveat this is a technology that certainly warrants a further look."
Old 03-19-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclnz View Post

If by hd you mean 720 or 1080i signals, then yea, I get a few of those. I am still trying to understand how the signals work, but I get about 70 regular cable chnanels, and over a 100 or so dtv channels. I have to test it again, but I have the option to switch to either "air" or "cable" for the signal, which seems to imply to me that there is some sort of antenna or 2nd tuner built in. In the back there is a coaxial port, and an empty port near it, maybe this is the internal antenna?

So far the black levels, compared to my 3253h sammy are very deep. I noticed when there was a large portion of empty space on the screen during a scene that the level seemed comparable to the bezel, as in I couldn't tell where the bezel started and where the screen began basically.

Ill take another picture today of just the black screen, I suppose I can do this with no signal present?

Eweiss, I'm not sure what size tvs you have seen, but I am not lying when I say this is massive for my room, which is about 9 by 10 ft, it takes up over half my wall, lol. That and upgrading from my 32 samsung, it's massive to me.

I honestly think I need to wallmount this beast, it would move the tv back a good foot almost and I would get a better view, I would probably not raise it more than a few inches from where it is though, I want to keep it at eye level for sure. Don't like looking up at a tv for movies and gaming.

Almost forgot, the tv is not even lukewarm to the touch. Basically, when the tv is turned on, feeling the back seems hte same to me as when it's turned off for a couple hours, so practically no heat. I was sort of hoping for a little extra heat in my room during hte winter, but it's all good.

I have not calibrated the tv yet, I am still waiting for someones settings if they have them to get a good start, but I guess no one has calibrated theirs yet either.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I have to test it again, but I have the option to switch to either "air" or "cable" for the signal, which seems to imply to me that there is some sort of antenna or 2nd tuner built in. In the back there is a coaxial port, and an empty port near it, maybe this is the internal antenna?

Since there is only a single coaxial connector on the back of these sets, I believe they have consolidated both cable and air into a single jack, with the ability to set what source you've connected in software. On past sets they just had two coaxial connectors: one for air and one for cable. I'm sure that there's no built-in antenna.

Click here for my home theater setup
Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgebrown View Post

Does this mean you have to speak to your cable company first... or do you simply plug it into the wall and get the channels?

I have a few other QAM tuners that have those three choices in the menus, but I've never called the cable company. I just scan and all the channels show up. If they don't, go to the next one and try again. I'm sure I've tried all three with my cable service and don't recall getting different results, but my memory could be faulty on that. The experts on here can explain what these variants are.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If by hd you mean 720 or 1080i signals, then yea, I get a few of those. I am still trying to understand how the signals work, but I get about 70 regular cable chnanels, and over a 100 or so dtv channels. I have to test it again, but I have the option to switch to either "air" or "cable" for the signal, which seems to imply to me that there is some sort of antenna or 2nd tuner built in. In the back there is a coaxial port, and an empty port near it, maybe this is the internal antenna?

So far the black levels, compared to my 3253h sammy are very deep. I noticed when there was a large portion of empty space on the screen during a scene that the level seemed comparable to the bezel, as in I couldn't tell where the bezel started and where the screen began basically.

Ill take another picture today of just the black screen, I suppose I can do this with no signal present?

Eweiss, I'm not sure what size tvs you have seen, but I am not lying when I say this is massive for my room, which is about 9 by 10 ft, it takes up over half my wall, lol. That and upgrading from my 32 samsung, it's massive to me.

I honestly think I need to wallmount this beast, it would move the tv back a good foot almost and I would get a better view, I would probably not raise it more than a few inches from where it is though, I want to keep it at eye level for sure. Don't like looking up at a tv for movies and gaming.

Almost forgot, the tv is not even lukewarm to the touch. Basically, when the tv is turned on, feeling the back seems hte same to me as when it's turned off for a couple hours, so practically no heat. I was sort of hoping for a little extra heat in my room during hte winter, but it's all good.

I have not calibrated the tv yet, I am still waiting for someones settings if they have them to get a good start, but I guess no one has calibrated theirs yet either.

Any idea why the bottom-most HDMI input on the TV says (DVI) - at least that's what I saw on the one at Best Buy, and the Best Buy guy wasn't sure why, either. Is it for a PC connection to use as a computer monitor, since most PC video cards are DVI, not HDMI? I.e., use a DVI-to-HDMI cable for this last input? I don't know.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I am so tempted to think about buying one of these and/or the upcoming 8100(?), except for two things: I prefer something larger than 55", and I read that OLED and/or better technology will be in the Fall 2009 Samsung TVs.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

and I read that OLED and/or better technology will be in the Fall 2009 Samsung TVs.

Where did you read that?

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am so tempted to think about buying one of these and/or the upcoming 8100(?), except for two things: I prefer something larger than 55", and I read that OLED and/or better technology will be in the Fall 2009 Samsung TVs.

i doubt that. sony is the only one now producing a consumer OLED it it's small and costs forever. sony may make a larger/cheaper (er...less expensive) one this year. afaik there is no indication that any one else is planning on coming out with an OLED set this year. those that might have are taking the economy into consideration when allocating their r&d budgets. "and/or better technology..." than OLED? what would that be?

samsung will probably introduce the next generation LEDarray backlight model, successor to this year's 950.

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any clouding on these sets?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Samsung will not be releasing an LCD over 55" and OLED is not in their 2009 plans especially at 55"
Old 03-19-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

Where did you read that?

I can't find the article now; I think I saw it last night; it might be in my browsing history on my home PC.

Yeah, I know Samsung isn't going larger than 55". Which means Sharp or Vizio this Summer, I guess, if I want 60" or 65." We have a large living room, and our current TV is 50", which is why any upgrade we intend to do would probably be to a larger set, and 55" isn't enough of a jump, unless the PQ and build quality is sufficient to ignore Sharp and Vizio and go with Samsung. The 7100 sure looks nice, though.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:17 AM

OLED will not be seen in larger TV sets until 2011 or beyond, according to most industry analysts. I'm personally betting that it won't be in a consumer-level 40"+ set for another year or two afterward. Right now most OLED developments seem to be coming in making smaller, flexible displays for consumer devices. Sizing them up for TVs will take a while.

Samsung made a huge marketing decision in calling these TVs 'LED' televisions. It evokes the thoughts of newer, better technology for general consumers (and some resellers of the bigger box variety) who don't know better, and it makes concrete sales out of the OLED buzz: people who have heard that this technology is coming don't notice the lack of 'O', or, again, simply get confused. The huge downside to this marketing push is that they will confuse their own customer base when the OLED TVs do hit the market. And they may alienate some customers who will feel (properly, in my opinion) that they were mislead.

That being said, this technology looks pretty cool. It's actually made me start considering getting an LCD television, even though I'm very disappointed with my current LN4095 and want to replace it with a plasma.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Abulia View Post

OLED will not be seen in larger TV sets until 2011 or beyond, according to most industry analysts. I'm personally betting that it won't be in a consumer-level 40"+ set for another year or two afterward. Right now most OLED developments seem to be coming in making smaller, flexible displays for consumer devices. Sizing them up for TVs will take a while.

Samsung made a huge marketing decision in calling these TVs 'LED' televisions. It evokes the thoughts of newer, better technology for general consumers (and some resellers of the bigger box variety) who don't know better, and it makes concrete sales out of the OLED buzz: people who have heard that this technology is coming don't notice the lack of 'O', or, again, simply get confused. The huge downside to this marketing push is that they will confuse their own customer base when the OLED TVs do hit the market. And they may alienate some customers who will feel (properly, in my opinion) that they were mislead.

That being said, this technology looks pretty cool. It's actually made me start considering getting an LCD television, even though I'm very disappointed with my current LN4095 and want to replace it with a plasma.

Al Gore killed plasmas. They generate too much heat, they use too much electricity, and they're h-e-a-v-y. They're going the way of the Hummer.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So the panel/screen is LCD, but the backlighting is LED, not LCD? Is that what you're saying?

I guess this Website/Webpage and Wikipedia will give me my answers, sort of: http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php...5180&Itemid=40

"What exactly is LED backlighting as it pertains to an LCD TV? Just hold on a minute Wikipedia is still loading. And it's done. A flat panel LCD is really a type of projector although not really recognizable in the traditional form. To generate the image that you see from your couch, fluorescent tubes have been used to shine light through a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD). The LCD panel is used to filter the light that reaches your eyes. Think of it in a very basic sense as a bunch of shutters that open and close. Using a fluorescent tube produce the light is a very rough approach and it results in a lot of wasted light as well as a lot of light bleeding through when you want a black color. LED backlighting allows for a much more precise application of the light resulting in less light loss, deeper black and more vivid colors. However LED lighting is not a coup de gras in that it can bring in problems of its own. A long term concern has been that as the display ages the LEDs will decay at a different rate resulting in an uneven image later on in the lifecycle. Regardless of this caveat this is a technology that certainly warrants a further look."

Yes, the panel itself is LCD tech. Same as last years A650. Just that it now uses LED to light it.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Hey man, did you check the PiP? How is it - does it display 2 separate channels or is it like the last year limited implementation where one channel has to be over-the-air?

Also, for those that found the user manual online - can you post a link?
Thanks
Old 03-19-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Al Gore killed plasmas. They generate too much heat, they use too much electricity, and they're h-e-a-v-y. They're going the way of the Hummer.

My A750 LCD also generates WAY too much heat I am trying to convince myself to upgrade to the 7100.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

When does the 8100 hit stores?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yeah, I know Samsung isn't going larger than 55". Which means Sharp or Vizio this Summer, I guess, if I want 60" or 65." We have a large living room, and our current TV is 50", which is why any upgrade we intend to do would probably be to a larger set, and 55" isn't enough of a jump, unless the PQ and build quality is sufficient to ignore Sharp and Vizio and go with Samsung. The 7100 sure looks nice, though.

If 65" is too small, it is time for front projection. We have 119" diagonal ... LCD/Plasma TV's are for bedrooms now in our house.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

If 65" is too small, it is time for front projection. We have 119" diagonal ... LCD/Plasma TV's are for bedrooms now in our house.

Our living room absolutely prohibits setting up any kind of front projector system. We have a 16' peaked ceiling and an unfortunate placement of windows and openings to halls, etc. Unfortunately, the only room that would be an option for front projection functions better as a study than a TV room. We used it for a TV room originally, but have found the living room to be better.

Too bad they rarely if ever build basements in houses in this part of the country. A basement would be an ideal place for us to put in a movie room. And since we don't have a family room or game room, we have to make do with what we have.

Tags
Samsung 50 Inch Led Hdtv Un50es6100
Gear in this thread