Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 4672 Old 05-03-2009, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarion View Post

I'm a liar, hehe, although not intentionally. Thanks scottdau, You are right, Game Mode has been there all along, I just checked my own earlier message and I mentioned it right there. I think my family's Alzheimer's history is creeping on me.

Also, I might be imagining this, but the sound volume level seems to have been reduced for the number displayed. Before the patch, when I watched TV at night, I left it at level 5 to avoid waking my wife up, but now it seems I get the same result at level 10. Again, I might be imagining this, but if this is a real change, it's a good one as I like to control the volume on the lower end.

Yeah I think they fixed a lot of things on the TV. I do think the picture even looks better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4672 Old 05-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Love this TV so far and no regrets.

I'll never do games cause I dont have time. I dont know if I should have got the 46SV5100 instead.

I didnt hear no pop when I change channel. I do notice when I flip source, it take like 4 sec before it show up.

The speaker is fine to me.
post #273 of 4672 Old 05-03-2009, 05:29 PM

The pop occurs for me when the signal is coming from the cable box. But when I change INPUT sources to TV there's no pop. I have a splitter with one cable going to each source. So, it's the cable box causing the problem for me.

Another thing I've noticed is that the channels come in slightly better through the split directly to the TV. The signal when using the cable box is a wee bit fuzzier. I wonder if I there is a difference in the quality of cable boxes or if there is anything I can do about it.

Someone earlier reported that every now and then when changing channels the audio is garbled a bit. If you go back to the previous channel and try again it clears up. Well, I've noticed that too.
post #274 of 4672 Old 05-03-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolowl View Post

The pop occurs for me when the signal is coming from the cable box. But when I change INPUT sources to TV there's no pop. I have a splitter with one cable going to each source. So, it's the cable box causing the problem for me.

Another thing I've noticed is that the channels come in slightly better through the split directly to the TV. The signal when using the cable box is a wee bit fuzzier. I wonder if I there is a difference in the quality of cable boxes or if there is anything I can do about it.

Someone earlier reported that every now and then when changing channels the audio is garbled a bit. If you go back to the previous channel and try again it clears up. Well, I've noticed that too.

Can you have the HDMI through TV input?
post #275 of 4672 Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post

While I asked for UMR's help largely to calibrate by new JVC RS20, I also had him do the audio.

Thanks for your audio calibration report. I've included it in the projection (Post#1) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.
post #276 of 4672 Old 05-04-2009, 03:46 PM

Does the update for the 46v5100 have to be the only thing on the usb drive. I have a Corsair usb drive formatted to FAT32 and the TV will not read it through the service slot. The drive blinks but then the tv come on as normal. It can be read in the usb slot all right. I'm not sure if I should just try a clean formatted drive in order to see if this works.
post #277 of 4672 Old 05-04-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Make sure that you move the files from the folder that is created into the drive's root directory. I don't know why Sony had the folder created and you don't need it.

Just to be safe, I would only have the files for the upgrade on the thumb drive.

Power down your display, insert the USB drive in the 'service slot' usb port on the back of the TV, power it up and away you go. It takes 10 minutes, tops. Just make sure that the 'pic off/timer' led is green for at least two minutes, remove the drive and power 'er back up. You'll be good to go...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #278 of 4672 Old 05-04-2009, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

As I read through the posts of member's experiences after the firmware upgrade, I am here to say, that in my humble opinion, that the V's picture definitely has more pop than before. At first I thought it was a 'placebo effect' but with other owners saying the same thing on many occasions, I'm figuring that it is not all in my head.

This firmware upgrade has changed a good display into a great one!

Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #279 of 4672 Old 05-04-2009, 06:10 PM

so...is the problem of auto dimming solved ??

only in the V series or on all the series ??
post #280 of 4672 Old 05-04-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Make sure that you move the files from the folder that is created into the drive's root directory. I don't know why Sony had the folder created and you don't need it.

Just to be safe, I would only have the files for the upgrade on the thumb drive.

Power down your display, insert the USB drive in the 'service slot' usb port on the back of the TV, power it up and away you go. It takes 10 minutes, tops. Just make sure that the 'pic off/timer' led is green for at least two minutes, remove the drive and power 'er back up. You'll be good to go...Will

I just bought a Office Max special 7.99 usb drive. formatted to FAT32. Put the files on it alone and now its doing the update. Thanks.
post #281 of 4672 Old 05-04-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLR722 View Post

so...is the problem of auto dimming solved ??

only in the V series or on all the series ??

The firmware release eliminates auto-dim for the following models:
* KDL-32S5100, KDL-32XBR9
* KDL-40S5100, KDL-40SL150, KDL-40V5100
* KDL-46S5100, KDL-46V5100
* KDL-52S5100, KDL-52V5100

There are several members who are trying to get Sony to apply this fix to the similarly affected '08 models. I hope they succeed - those of us who own '09 models are quite happy, to say the least.

My Old Setup
...new pics on the way...
post #282 of 4672 Old 05-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Is there a outlet at the back of the 46V5100 so I can use a 3.5mm audio jack to the in-let of my external computer speaker?

Also, whats the response time on this tv? I cant find it anywhere.
post #283 of 4672 Old 05-04-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:

As I read through the posts of member's experiences after the firmware upgrade, I am here to say, that in my humble opinion, that the V's picture definitely has more pop than before. At first I thought it was a 'placebo effect' but with other owners saying the same thing on many occasions, I'm figuring that it is not all in my head.

This firmware upgrade has changed a great display into a great one!

Will

No it is not in your head. It is better. I was shock how it pops out now. I think it is becasue of the auto dim. It now just looks so life like. I really love this set and I am glad I didn't take it back when I saw all this auto dim stuff happening. Though I really couldn't tell either way. Now that I know what it is I can tell now.
post #284 of 4672 Old 05-05-2009, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, BTW. I just noticed that I typed "it has turned a great display into a great one". When what I meant is "it turned a good display into a great one". Sorry. It's just another matter of thinking faster than I can type and my thinking isn't doing that well. I normally read things in my head before I hit submit...I should have followed my rule on that last post...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #285 of 4672 Old 05-05-2009, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
This set is the best set I have ever owned and the list of sets that have been in this house is long and distinguished.

40 Mitsubishi Tube 1996
42 Panny Plasma 2002
50 Pioneer Elite plasma 2004
50 XBR2 2005
55 a2000 2007

52 a650 for 3 weeks before I got this 52v5100 in exchange.

On that list is 5 sets that were rated best picture you could get at the time. IMO the set is way way better than any of em.
post #286 of 4672 Old 05-05-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I hear you, Mike. Here's a list of my HDTVs:

1999 Toshiba 40" TV
2001 Mitsubishi 55" Diamond Series
2006 Sony KDS-R60XBR2
2009 Sony KDL-52V5100

The first two were CRT based. I used to do geometry, focus and convergence every three to six months, including cleaning the mirror and optics. To do the three colors on all inputs was nearly an all day job.

With the XBR2, everything was great up until the Fall of last year. No convergence, geometry or focus but blowing out three optical blocks broke the camel's back.

I paid less for this TV than all three of the others and the quality and price are awesome. I am extremely happy with this set and I don't have to do nor worry about anything that I dealt with on my other sets.

Even my wife, who believe it or not is somewhat of an audio/videophile loves the V. And when she's happy, you bet your ass I am too...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #287 of 4672 Old 05-06-2009, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

Is there a outlet at the back of the 46V5100 so I can use a 3.5mm audio jack to the in-let of my external computer speaker?

Chong,

Yes, there is a 3.5 mm input on the left side of the display, directly below the VGA input...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #288 of 4672 Old 05-06-2009, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Man glad I read this thread, I had ruled out the V5100 because of reading all the annoyances with the auto dim. Now you all say it's gone with the update? Looks like it's now back in the running.

The only other issue I don't like about the TV, is Sony moved the majority of the HDMI ports to the side. I will be putting this TV in an entertainment center and I'm concerned the cables will either hit the side or show too much.

Here is my Ent Center:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...er412/3601.jpg
post #289 of 4672 Old 05-06-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

Man glad I read this thread, I had ruled out the V5100 because of reading all the annoyances with the auto dim. Now you all say it's gone with the update? Looks like it's now back in the running.

The only other issue I don't like about the TV, is Sony moved the majority of the HDMI ports to the side. I will be putting this TV in an entertainment center and I'm concerned the cables will either hit the side or show too much.

Here is my Ent Center:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...er412/3601.jpg

Monoprice and other cable suppliers offer angle adapters for HDMI cables that will help conceal the cables and prevent it from hitting the sides.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...04&cp_id=10419

Dan
post #290 of 4672 Old 05-06-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Quote:

Chong,

Yes, there is a 3.5 mm input on the left side of the display, directly below the VGA input...Will

The 3.5mm jack on the side is an INPUT, not an OUTPUT. Unfortunately in Sony's wisdom they eliminated the Earphone jack and the VARIABLE Audio output from the RCA jacks which disqualifies Sony for me. Glad I bought last years model that DOES have Fixed/VARIABLE AUDIO output.

AS far as "response time" Sony does not offer that spec. It is fast enough so there is no blurring from LCD lag if that's your concern.
post #291 of 4672 Old 05-06-2009, 07:26 AM

Hello gents
The 52V5100 arrived yesterday as a replacement for my 50E2000.
Very nice picture,a bit too bright for my liking but serialmike settings brought it back in line. Honestly the image is better than the E2000, but also nothing earth shattering.
One thing I have noticed ,and I think it might be the nature of the beast, the set feels a bit wobbly, and reading the operating manual suggest that a wall anchor is recommended. I have experimented and noticed that one has to tip the set forward quite a bit in order to reach the tipping point. No worries here my kids are old enough but if I had a small child I would be concerned.
I have DLed the upgrade and will install later on.
Cheers
Patrick
post #292 of 4672 Old 05-06-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post

The 3.5mm jack on the side is an INPUT, not an OUTPUT. Unfortunately in Sony's wisdom they eliminated the Earphone jack and the VARIABLE Audio output from the RCA jacks which disqualifies Sony for me. Glad I bought last years model that DOES have Fixed/VARIABLE AUDIO output.

AS far as "response time" Sony does not offer that spec. It is fast enough so there is no blurring from LCD lag if that's your concern.

Ed,
Thanks for the correction. I never used a PC with my displays and just assumed it would be an input. Which reminds me of another little annoyance with the V5100...The optical port does not pass Dolby Digital, just PCM. At least Dolby Pro Logic 2x does a descent job. I don't know why Sony would pull such boneheaded moves on basic items such as the aforementioned. It can't be that much extra build cost, could it?

Regards...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #293 of 4672 Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Pat View Post

Hello gents
One thing I have noticed ,and I think it might be the nature of the beast, the set feels a bit wobbly, and reading the operating manual suggest that a wall anchor is recommended. I have experimented and noticed that one has to tip the set forward quite a bit in order to reach the tipping point. No worries here my kids are old enough but if I had a small child I would be concerned.
I have DLed the upgrade and will install later on.
Cheers
Patrick

Patrick,

First off, congratulations! I hope you enjoy your new toy. Regarding the stability of the pedestal, I have also noticed exactly what you describe. Sony should certainly include the 'anchor kit' with the TV. I find that omission to be quite negligent, since the set will definitely rock back and forth with a small amount of force.

I have a six year old boy so I definitely have to construct something to hold her down. That bull in the china shop of mine will almost certainly run into the side of it soon...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #294 of 4672 Old 05-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

I usually do not watch much TV after the news, but yesterday when I finally get my Bronze package, I had watch more TV than before. The picture are so clear and stunning! Watch the Braves and Hawks in HD last night and they lost. Watch American Idol in HD first time too. Man, watching TV is never the same again. In fact, I stay away from non-HD channel now.

My Dish receiver can do 720p or 1080i. I notice in 1080i, only the text is clearer and smaller. I cant see much difference in picture or is there?

What setting do you put in for your V5100?

=========

I think it doesnt matter either way you still need to get the angle adapter. Say if flush it flat to the wall, then you still need an angle adapter. I wonder by bending the cable is as critical as on the SATA cable on your hard drive.

=========

Is there any other way to get the audio to my computer speaker if the v5100 cant do it? I wonder if my Dish receiver got a 3.5mm output.
post #295 of 4672 Old 05-06-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Dish receiver can do 720p or 1080i. I notice in 1080i, only the text is clearer and smaller. I cant see much difference in picture or is there?

What setting do you put in for your V5100?

My experience with fixed resolution displays, such as the V, is whatever looks better to you, use that input resolution. Conventional wisdom should dictate that with a 1080p native display, a 1080i input should be less 'work' on the TVs end. At this time, I only have 1080p input sources (excluding over the air HD) so I haven't had the chance to see how the V performs with an interlaced input signal, other than OTA and I have noticed some artifacts at 720p and 1080i. Nothing too bad but still there, none the less. I can go set my PS3 and HD-XA2 to 1080i and 720p and see what kind of changes I see.

If you want to see my initial settings for my Blu-Ray and HD DVD HDMI input, hit this link and check out post 212...Will

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1129222&page=8

P.S. Regarding the 90 degree bending of HDMI cables at the connector end, I would definitely not do that. Since the connectors are held by friction and have delicate contact points, I would be kind of concerned about damaging the cable or worse yet, damaging an HDMI connection on the set.

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #296 of 4672 Old 05-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

I will do more findings about the 1080i and 720p on the DishNetwork 612 Receiver. So far I have not see any difference except smaller and chrispier text at 1080i.

Ill get me a few 90 deg adapters then. Be careful that you get the right one.
Anyone bought at monoprice and see is it the 90 deg or the 270 deg one for the Sony v5100.

Yes I have been using your setting and it has been great. (Speaking from someone wearing a minus 12 contact lens).
post #297 of 4672 Old 05-06-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I did a few DVE pattern and actual content tests after changing my BR and HD DVD player to 720p and then 1080i. These were down and dirty, subjective tests.

With 720p input resolution, I didn't notice anything major. I kind of expected there to be some issues but IMO, there were none to write home about

Upon switching to 1080i, the Sony did a fine job of deinterlacing to 1080p. Now, the picture was not near as sparkling as it does with the Reon processor in my XA2 doing all of the heavy lifting. The quality was good enough that I would not hesitate to feed the V 1080i, if need be. A particularly torturous test with program material is the menu section of Mission Impossible III. If you're familiar with it, there are two thin lines at the bottom of the menu. When I owned an A35 HD DVD player, the lines would flicker. If I fed the XBR2 1080i from my XA2, the lines would also flicker. Not so with the V. The Vatican Wall scene looked nice, as well.

What I did notice, quite clearly in fact, is the judder apparent from slow pans in film based material. Since I have only had 60hz sets till now, I never noticed it. When I switched back and forth between 24fps and 60, I was amazed at how blind I must have been prior to owning the V. I was quite surprised at how this TV has grown on me and I have only owned it for 9 days.

I also switched MotionFlow to high for the first time. I don't even know why that option is available. There was definitely a severe 'soap opera effect' that is painfully apparent.

Like I stated, this was just a down and dirty set of tests, nothing really scientific about them...Just observations, really.

I also tested a few SD DVDs through my XA2. The Reon processor working with the Cinemotion and Motionflow features has really added pop and depth to the picture. I was happy with XA2 playing SD disks on my old TV before but now, WOW! Most impressive.

Just my .02, for what it is worth...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #298 of 4672 Old 05-06-2009, 06:58 PM

so i updated my 40v5100 and set my settings back to the way they were with my ACE set to off. watched a bit of HD HBO (uverse, component 1080i) with the movie predator playing and while the auto dim wasnt nearly as apparent as it had been in the past, it was still there, just smaller increments. im gonna keep an eye on this.
post #299 of 4672 Old 05-06-2009, 07:15 PM

Pseudonym,

Can you confirm that your software version is now ER3.84-D828? If so, check to make sure that ACE, Live Color, and Gamma are off for each of your inputs (every input saves its own settings).

Auto-dim should be completely eliminated once you apply the update, so I'm interested to see what might be different on your set.

My Old Setup
...new pics on the way...
post #300 of 4672 Old 05-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

I saw one dead pixel on my 46V5100. On all black, one of the pixel is on.

From 1 ft away I can see it.

From 8 ft away(normal human behavior), I definately cannot see it.

So how?

What is Sony dead pixel policy?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page