Official Sony KDL-xxV5100 Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4672 Old 05-20-2009, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had mine for 3 days now.

Just had FiOS installed. Xbox 360 and Wii set-up.

AV receiver and speakers going in on Saturday.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4672 Old 05-20-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Pat View Post

Well Gents,
I will not have to send the V back afterall.
Checked the Sony USB stick they sent me and it was formatted FAT, now I started to sweat it, seeing myself repacking the V and all the hassle which would have followed.
I doubted it was the V fault so something was wrong with the stick, anyhow I reformated the stick, reinstalled the files, plugged the silly bugger and badabing!!! I had an update.
Thanks for all the suggestions
I learned also that the Sony support boys have bad days.
Also I have noticed that the E2000 RPTV was quite terrible on SD broadcast but the V handles it much better. I am not sure if it is that the LCD has better luck with it, but the difference is quite noticeable.
Cheers
Patrick

Pat,

Congratulations on figuring this one out. Perseverance usually will put one in the win column. Personally, I have found that Sony CSRs are for the most part not worth their weight in salt. I hate to sound so negative, but I have had so many bad experiences with them. Generally, I find more answers on AVS forum than most customer support centers.

I think you'll notice a vast improvement in picture quality, since you updated the firmware on the V. Might I suggest that since this task is completed that you go ahead and calibrate the set now. I'm sure you'll be quite impressed.

Best of luck...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #453 of 4672 Old 05-20-2009, 10:50 AM

Thanks Will
I was thinking about the calibration, but I have copied the one you posted and I am very happy about the look of it. Funny though I seem to spend more time fiddling with the V than watching it. My average is three hours a week, but my kids.......
Cheers
Patrick
post #454 of 4672 Old 05-20-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Will
I was thinking about the calibration, but I have copied the one you posted and I am very happy about the look of it. Funny though I seem to spend more time fiddling with the V than watching it. My average is three hours a week, but my kids.......
Cheers
Patrick

I hear you. My wife get's so mad she'll burst out and say "Can you just leave the damn thing alone so we can watch TV?"

I have to agree with her but it is such an OCD sickness to keep striving to get it looking just a little bit better!

Back in the old days when I had the CRT rear projector, she would go completely berzerk when I would do geometry and convergence. That would easily take two hours for each input. I am glad those days are behind me though.

Regards...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #455 of 4672 Old 05-20-2009, 02:11 PM

So, what are everyone's thoughts on this screen? Picture quality, Features, etc.?

Any issues, aside from the auto-dimming which was fixed?

I'm thinking of maybe swapping my Z (last years model) for this, while there's still time.

Are there any reviews out yet for it?
post #456 of 4672 Old 05-20-2009, 02:39 PM

After the update I have no dimming issues at all. Ace has been set to low , then tried off, but flashing still occurs. I will keep fiddling with it. I have DirectTV hd service. Thanks for all the help
post #457 of 4672 Old 05-20-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I was messing with DVE and the White balance today.

first I found that Color should be set to 46. After taking about a half an hr with 45 46 47 I found 46 to be where the color matched the filter the best. LOL 30 min.

Anyhow.

Edit(working on the White balance)

Im trying these for a bit If I like ill update my settings page.

So far I find them stunning. Try some night viewing this eve.
post #458 of 4672 Old 05-20-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Well Gents,

Also I have noticed that the E2000 RPTV was quite terrible on SD broadcast but the V handles it much better. I am not sure if it is that the LCD has better luck with it, but the difference is quite noticeable.
Cheers
Patrick

Its the Bravia 2 engine that makes all the difference. It uses different image processing techniques to get SD looking decent. Not great, but definitely watchable!
post #459 of 4672 Old 05-20-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Here are my settings for the 52V5100

Blu-Ray and HD DVD

Mode - Custom
Backlight - 2
Picture - 70
Brightness - 45
Color - 43
Hue - R2
Temp - Warm
Sharpness - 8
Noise Reduction - Off
ACE -Medium
Gamma -Low
Clear White - Off
Live Color - Off
Cinemotion - Auto 1
Game Mode - Off
MotionFlow - Standard
White Balance - Default, for now

Tuner Settings

Mode - Custom
Backlight - 4
Picture - 74
Brightness - 46
Color - 43
Hue - R2
Temp - Warm
Sharpness - 12
Noise Reduction - Off
ACE -Medium
Gamma -Low
Clear White - Off
Live Color - Off
Cinemotion - Auto 2
Game Mode - Off
MotionFlow - Standard

Wait, I don't have BluRay or HDDVD. So do I use the Tuner Settings for normal HDTV watching (with Verizon Fios)?

Also, what settings are recommended for the 360?
post #460 of 4672 Old 05-20-2009, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I would recommend for HD to use my Blu-Ray and HD DVD settings and the tuner for everything SD. If you don't use more than one output to the TV (seperate for HD and SD) I watch alot of OTA HD content anyway so there isn't much of a difference.

Give either a try. The only really big difference is sharpness which for HD, BR and HD DVD don't really need that much, if any. I also forgot to change my tuner settings on my post for CineMotion...It is on Auto 1, as well...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #461 of 4672 Old 05-20-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, if memory serves, the XBox only has component out and not HDMI. I haven't used component in quite some time so I wouldn't be the best one to ask about that...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #462 of 4672 Old 05-20-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I run my settings the same for my fios hd on hdmi and then my other input which is component for PS3, Xbox360 hddvd, and dvd. They all come thru a reciever to the other input.

The only difference is I dont use any cinemotion on the component. The colors Brightness etc all look identical.

Actually I have turned off cinemotion this eve for the fios box. I am suspecting that the box sends out its signal at a standard frame rate perhaps even 60. Since I turned off cinemotion it seems silky smooth so far .

We shall see how it goes.
post #463 of 4672 Old 05-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I went to BB and got me a blu-ray internal drive cheap for $88 and just rent a movie. Everything is working fine. I still prefer .mks and those 1080p are a monster file.

I love my 46v5100 and I cant see myself buying another new set in at least 5 more years.

I cant see much of a difference in 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Can anyone tell me what to watch for?
post #464 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

I went to BB and got me a blu-ray internal drive cheap for $88 and just rent a movie. Everything is working fine. I still prefer .mks and those 1080p are a monster file.

I love my 46v5100 and I cant see myself buying another new set in at least 5 more years.

I cant see much of a difference in 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Can anyone tell me what to watch for?

During the early days of DVD, dedicated players were so expensive that the cheapest way to enjoy DVD, was to buy a DVD drive for your computer. I would then drag the computer out of the bedroom, and connect it to my television.

Hey, if it works, what's the problem? Congratulations on your purchase. I am certain that you will enjoy Blu-Ray very much.

Regards...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #465 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, After futher watching I turned off cinemotion and motion flow for fios viewing.

I have reason to believe that signal form a cable/fios box is broadcast at 1080 60. The picture is much smoother without these features on.

With the features on extra uneeded processes seem to cause judder.
post #466 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 05:24 AM

Serialmike,

I'm not really up on video formats, but I don't think Cinemotion offers much for daily viewing via cable. Unless someone's watching a non-Blu Ray movie (regardless of source), then Cinemotion's processing should be unnecessary. For gaming, I would think it would be completely out of the question.

On the other hand, the 'benefits' of Motionflow should apply across-the-board, to varying degrees.

Edit - One thing I'm still a little confused about: Does Cinemotion have to be on in order to detect 24p from a Blu-Ray source? If so, I think it's rather unfortunate that Cinemotion would cover both 3:2 pulldown and 24p detection, as I feel they are totally different and independent processes. In fact, I don't really consider 24p detection to be "processing" in the normal sense, since the original film is being displayed in its native frame rate.

My Old Setup
...new pics on the way...
post #467 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Regular tv yes, it doesnt do much because that comes in as 30 or 60 or soemthing i believe. But what Im finding out (doing more research on this) is that movies via shotime hbo etc thru cable/fios etc is sent at 60 also. Meaning for cable you dont need interpol or cinemotion. Which seems so far to be verified by my watching experience with these features off.

As far as for Bluray or DVD I have to test some. So far I dont use it on those either because as I stated before they are the same input as my games sooooo I have them off also.

I will test movies thru DVD and Bluray with cinemotion at another time.

BTW Auto one detects 3:2 or 5:5 pulldown....Auto two is for film at 3:2 only i believe.
post #468 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 12:47 PM

Could someone please comment on if there are any other issues aside from the auto-dimming?

Most importantly, how is the picture quality and the viewing angles on this screen?

My Z-series (4100) has awful viewing angles, just off center it starts to fade, I'm wondering if this suffers from that affliction too?

I still have a week left to exchange and I'm looking at the V-series (5100) as a viable replacement.
post #469 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempletonPeck View Post

Could someone please comment on if there are any other issues aside from the auto-dimming?

Most importantly, how is the picture quality and the viewing angles on this screen?

My Z-series (4100) has awful viewing angles, just off center it starts to fade, I'm wondering if this suffers from that affliction too?

I still have a week left to exchange and I'm looking at the V-series (5100) as a viable replacement.

All of us here love the TV. as far as viewing angle. Unless you get a plasma it will fade form an angle. These are far from bad though. You can easily test this at bestbuy.
post #470 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 01:09 PM

First, Thanks to all for the all of the info on the V5100.

I've currently got a 46 V4100 that I'm having autodim issues with- I've got it in Game mode and in my opinion, its manageable.

But.. Sony has agreed to exchange the TV and send me a V5100 at no charge. I am excited about the upgrade, but reading this thread I'm concerned about the color push to red. Can anyone comment as to whether this is a prevalent issue on the model?

Thank You
post #471 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

All of us here love the TV. as far as viewing angle. Unless you get a plasma it will fade form an angle. These are far from bad though. You can easily test this at bestbuy.

Well I tried to tell in store with my Z, but I didn't really notice the awful viewing angle till I got it home.

Does it shift much off-center? I'm pretty much stuck sitting 2 ft. off center and on my Z the shift is already noticeable with a faded picture.
post #472 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTod View Post

First, Thanks to all for the all of the info on the V5100.

I've currently got a 46 V4100 that I'm having autodim issues with- I've got it in Game mode and in my opinion, its manageable.

But.. Sony has agreed to exchange the TV and send me a V5100 at no charge. I am excited about the upgrade, but reading this thread I'm concerned about the color push to red. Can anyone comment as to whether this is a prevalent issue on the model?

Thank You

I have not seen nor heard anything about red push, or blue or green either, for that matter. This is a new one to me. I have ran full calibrations at least twice since updating the firmware and I see absolutely no evidence of red push. Update the firmware and watch something really cool when you get the 5100...Will

P.S. I practically live in this thread and have not seen a single post about red push, other than me saying there was none a few weeks ago. Could you please direct me to the post(s)?

Also, unless you're playing a game, get your TV out of game mode. That's gotta wreak havoc on your eyes while watching program material. BTW, if Sony is going to upgrade you to the 5100 at no charge...Go for it. At this time, as I'm sure you know, there is no fix for the 4100s auto-dim problem and I don't expect there will be one, IMO.

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #473 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I tried to tell in store with my Z, but I didn't really notice the awful viewing angle till I got it home.

Does it shift much off-center? I'm pretty much stuck sitting 2 ft. off center and on my Z the shift is already noticeable with a faded picture.

According to several reviews I have read, the V5100's viewing angle is 56 degrees (28 each side) and 56 on the vertical axis. I would say it is better than that. I would have to whip out the protractor to know for sure.

It's just the nature of the beast with LCD, though.

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #474 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

According to several reviews I have read, the V5100's viewing angle is 56 degrees (28 each side) and 56 on the vertical axis. I would say it is better than that. I would have to whip out the protractor to know for sure.

It's just the nature of the beast with LCD, though.

Thank you.

Could you point me in the direction of those reviews please? I can't seem to find any myself.

I'm only sitting at about a 15 to 18 degree angle with my Z and I notice a de-saturation in color already that is quite noticeable. I'm hoping the V isn't like this?

I understand the angles won't be that great on an LCD, but in that close I'd expect them to be good.
post #475 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I sit three feet to left alot of the time. Very little I mean little fade from that angle.

Here are some shots. Sorry the Flash went off on the angle one but that washes it more not less. You can at least get some idea.

There is some wash there but thats a really hard angle and alot brighter and easier to watch than my SXRD ever was.

post #476 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the pics, that helps a lot. How far back are you sitting normally though?
post #477 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I dont sit that hard left

Like I said about 2-3 foot left and 9 foot back....When I am using the lappy Which is most of the time hehe.
post #478 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 02:46 PM

Hi Will, the issue I'm concerned with was raised in post 451 by jam fam. I've seen it mentioned in some other threads as well. Also, has the firmware removed the auto dim 100 percent? Thanks again.
post #479 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 03:03 PM

I just did the USB upgrade last night - is there a way to verify that I am now running the new firmware?
post #480 of 4672 Old 05-21-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

These are not Final. I have some work to do but these are what Im running for now.

User Menu Settings
Picture Mode : Standard
Backlight: 8
Picture: 78
Brightness : 48
Color : 45
Hue : 0
Color Temperature : Warm
Sharpness : 11
Noise Reduction : Off
Advanced Contrast Enhancer : Medium
Gamma : Low
Clear White : Off
Live Color : Off
White Balance :
Rgain -5
Ggain -3
Bgain -3
Rbias -4
Gbias -3
Bbias -2

Motion Enhancer : Off
Cinemotion : Auto1
Game Mode : Off

Setup Section
Eco (In setup section)
Backlight-On
Pc Power Management-Off
Light Sensor-Off

Screen Settings
Vertical Size -3
Horizontal Size -3

For me The Full pixel is no good I get lines on edge of screen. I had these set to -10 till this morning. I found a channel that -10 was to much. And adjusted till the screen just properly fit. It ended up being -3. Interesting enough the noise that fast moving video creates on this set that some reviews pick up on as did I went away. Basically this is as close to full pixel as I can get and I guess matches the output of my box most perfectly.

Edit-Added White balance

serialmike are these settings really the best for HD viewing/Xbox 360? I'm deciding whether to try your settings or Will's...have you changed these ever since you set it up?

And also, if I change my settings to these will my TV look even BETTER than factory defaults out of the box? I'm very happy with the picture now and if it could be even better then :O
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page