Old 05-29-2009, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goats View Post

Hey Mike, appreciate you posting your calibration specs, I tried them yesterday with a few very minor tweaks and I'm pretty happy, so thanks!

I'm a newb at this sort of thing, and to top it off I'm a tad color blind, which obviously doesn't help. My wife gave your settings her approval though, and they look good to me.

I did have one question. I know vivid is bad, super bright screens give you eye strain, etc. That said, I am used to a brighter screen. While your color scheme is great, the picture just doesn't seem to "pop" anymore. If I wanted to try to make the screen a tad brighter and more vibrant without sacrificing too much of the proper color, what settings do you suggest I try tweaking?

Anyone else who wants to chime in, please feel free. I only addressed this to serialmike b/c I used his calibration. TIA!

If I were to try anything to make it brighter, I would try a notch or or so contrast on it. Brightness will wash it out. Other than that, Perhaps a notch of blue gain to -2 or even -1 might help you get a brighter feel with that said lighter scenes will have a slightly bluer feel to them.

See how it goes. Hope it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 08:17 AM

Liked: 11
I had already tried increasing the brightness and learned that definitely wasn't the answer due to wash out, like you said. I also already have the blue gain set to -2, that's what you have in your calibration post.

I'll try playing around with some of the contrast-related settings. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goats View Post

I had already tried increasing the brightness and learned that definitely wasn't the answer due to wash out, like you said. I also already have the blue gain set to -2, that's what you have in your calibration post.

I'll try playing around with some of the contrast-related settings. Thanks.

sorry, -1 is or back to 0 its early
Old 05-29-2009, 10:34 AM

Liked: 10
after messing around with the settings on the v5100 these are the best imo:

Cinema setting

backlight 6
picture max
brightness 50
color 48
hue 0
temp neutral
sharpness 6
noise off
adv cont low
gamma medium
clear white low
live color low
R gain -1
G gain -1
Bgain -4
R bias -3
G bias -3
B Bias -2
Old 05-29-2009, 02:56 PM

Off topic: Can someone please tell me how to display an image directly without the links on the bottom of the page? I've looked at the FAQ several times and I'm doing what it tells me to do but I still can't get the image to show. I get the hyperlinks to the attachments like you see below. I thought I did it but now they're gone.

My V5100 HT.

Sony KDL-52V5100
Sony BDP-S360
Sony STR-DG920
Denon DVD-2200
Moto DVR
Mirage F-C-S-R, BA sub
Cute little HD antenna for receiving a couple of local Boston channels that Comcast blocks (Damned FCC marketing area's!).
Tripp Lite power conditioner.
AVIO TV stand from Costco for $199 including TV mounting hardware. I added the wood shelf on the bottom to support the receiver and power conditioner.

LL
LL
Old 05-30-2009, 12:01 AM

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a V. My Z (aside from the bad viewing angles) is now acting up by putting red outlines on peoples faces and arms when I turn it on. It lasts for about 10 minutes, then it goes away.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:41 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fflaque View Post

after messing around with the settings on the v5100 these are the best imo:

Cinema setting

backlight 6
picture max
brightness 50
color 48
hue 0
temp neutral
sharpness 6
noise off
adv cont low
gamma medium
clear white low
live color low
R gain -1
G gain -1
Bgain -4
R bias -3
G bias -3
B Bias -2

Did you use any software for these or just eyeball plus trial & error?
Old 05-30-2009, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am watching my Sony HDTV and I notice when the movie pans, I see some jerkyness.

Is it because I didnt turn my motion flow HIGH or my video card.

Any ideas?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:54 AM

There are horizontal black lines on the left side of my side going from the top of the set to the bottom. Does anyone else have this problem and is it fixable via a setting in the television? 46v5100

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:55 PM

How is this set for light leakage and uniformity?

Quote:

We saw some significant leakage around the corners and some noticeable blotches around the screen. Thankfully the performance of the white screen was nowhere near as poor, with only some very slight dimming at the corners.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...Review-919.htm

That's the only thing that is worrying me.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepal View Post

Minimalistic, for the lack of money [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif[/IMG]

At some point the center channel will go on the wall, under the TV .

Nice set.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xchair View Post

Temple,

I have a 52V5100. It is a week old. It has flashlights and some clouding issues. Since I am entirely new to LCD I do not know if this is how LCD's are to some degree.

Perhaps someone here in this thread can enlighten me.

Should I expect to own a 52V5100 that doesn't have some flashlight & clouding issues? Is this just the nature of LCD's?

Any response would be appreciated!

No that is not how it should be acting. Sounds like something is not correct.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:19 AM

im a new member so icant post a link.. but do you guys think KLV-40W550A is the same with your KDL-40V5100? its a different model number here in the Philippines and it just came out.. not sure if its the same thing though.. but they look the same.. cant find calibration settings for it.. weirdly spec page for mine says it has BE3 and XMB.. gagh im such a nub
Old 05-31-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesilo View Post

There are horizontal black lines on the left side of my side going from the top of the set to the bottom. Does anyone else have this problem and is it fixable via a setting in the television? 46v5100

Thanks.

bluesilo, this sounds like something I had on some channels except mine were above and below. One of serialmike's posts described how to correct it so perhaps this will help you too. Change the screen from Full Pixel to Full [I think that's what is is called]. And then change the horizontal size under Screen Settings to -3 (or whatever is needed for the lines to disappear on your TV).
Old 05-31-2009, 07:29 AM

I don't know what flashlights are but I've not seen anything unusual with my Sony 52v5100.

For those just purchasing their TV's you'll want to go to Sony's web site and download the firmware update. It corrects some things and was very easy to do. Just follow the directions on their site.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:40 AM

Xchair,

When my screen is completely black I can see flashlights in the corners (the one in the top right is the biggest). From what I can tell, they don't have any effect once an image is displayed. I keep my backlight at 5, so maybe that helps some.

I think issues like flashlighting, even when minor, are par for the course with LCD. I'm happy with the set and tolerant of the negatives associated with LCDs. I saw my first Kuro the other night at a friend's house and, to my complete surprise, saw the rainbow effect, which I thought was only a DLP problem. I'll gladly take flashlights.

My Old Setup
...new pics on the way...
Old 05-31-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I spent alot of yesterday recalibrating the set from scratch since I had not since the day it was purchased run a full start to finish calibration.

There is a change here that may suprose some of you. I now must insist on using the Noise Filter. In some way it actually helps reduce judder even more. Plus the picutre is naturally more sharp with it than without. This is most evident on the test patterns but also becomes very clear on sports programming graphics and fine graphic details such as a netting type graphic display.

Anyway here is the new settings

Settings For Blu-Ray, HDDVD, DVD, PS3, Xbox360

User Menu Setting
Picture Mode : Standard
Backlight: 5
Picture: 80
Brightness : 50
Color : 43
Hue : G2
Color Temperature : Warm
Sharpness : 4
Noise Reduction : Low
Advanced Contrast Enhancer : Medium
Gamma : Off
Clear White : Off
Live Color : Low

Advanced Settings
White Balance : Default

Motion Enhancer : Off
Cinemotion : Off
Game Mode : Off

Eco (In setup section)
Backlight-On
Pc Power Management-Off
Light Sensor-Off

Screen settings
Full
Vertical and Horizontal size -4 (If you see the edge of the screen you may need to use a higher number)

NOTE* For Fios TV I use same settings except color is set to 40

If you are going to use Cinemotion Use Auto 1 If you use the motion enhancer. If you do not use motion enchancement(interpolation) Use Auto 2.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:21 PM

Hello guys,

I bought my 52V5100 back in March and so far it has been treating me good. Now that Auto Dimming issue is resolved, I couldn't ask for more until today Well, here is my problem

I currently have both PS3 and XBOX360 hooked up to two separate HDMI inputs on my TV (no receiver yet sign). Since I don't have separate sound system, all of my sound comes out directly from the TV. I haven't played any of the games for about a month and when I tried to play my XBOX360 today, video was there but I couldn't hear any sound. Then I tried turning my PS3 on to check, but this time, both sound AND graphic was gone I tried different HDMI cables, tried different HDMI input ports, and even tried resetting my TV to factory default settings but the problems didn't go away. When I tried connecting my cable TV to HDMI, I saw the video but again, no sound (I have my cable box connected to component for now and I do get video and sound, not like HDMI).

To make the long story short, I called up customer service and they told me to take the TV power cord out for about a minute and put the cord back on to the power source. And guess what? I got both video and sound back for all of my HDMI ports

My question is
1) What happen there?
2) What is this unplugging the power cord for 1 minute all about? Is this common practice?
3) Is this a critical problem? Because I don't want to continually unplug my TV whenever I experience this problem

Sony told me that they won't do any kind of maintenance for me since the TV is working fine again I'm just afraid that this problem might come back again when my warranty expires and turns out it needs major fix Anyways, thanks for reading this and hopefully I'm just over reacting
Old 05-31-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

The unplug for 1 minute is a hardware...chips reset. Something just got bugged. It happens in lots and lots and lots and .....of electronic equipment.

Really I wouldnt consider it a big idea unless that sort of thing happens more than once a in a blue moon.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 PM

Thanks for your comment serialmike! I really appreciate it. As for that gargling sound, I also experienced couple of times when I turned my XBOX360 on. When it does, I usually had to reset the consol. I even experienced some sounds disappearing on me during the game for couple of seconds several times Maybe there is some kind of bug in my HDMI sound I/O(?). If sound is the only problem that my TV has, I guess I could live with that for now hopefully I'll be getting my sound system sometime soon Did anyone else experience this sound problem??
Old 06-02-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

I spent alot of yesterday recalibrating the set from scratch since I had not since the day it was purchased run a full start to finish calibration.

There is a change here that may suprose some of you. I now must insist on using the Noise Filter. In some way it actually helps reduce judder even more. Plus the picutre is naturally more sharp with it than without. This is most evident on the test patterns but also becomes very clear on sports programming graphics and fine graphic details such as a netting type graphic display.

Anyway here is the new settings

User Menu Settings
Picture Mode : Standard
Backlight: 6
Picture: 79
Brightness : 50
Color : 46
Hue : 0
Color Temperature : Warm
Sharpness : 5
Noise Reduction : Low
Advanced Contrast Enhancer : Medium
Gamma : Off
Clear White : Off
Live Color : Off

Advanced Settings
White Balance :
Rgain -6
Ggain -3
Bgain -2
Rbias -4
Gbias -3
Bbias -3

Motion Enhancer : Off
Cinemotion : Off
Game Mode : Off

Eco (In setup section)
Backlight-On
Pc Power Management-Off
Light Sensor-Off

If you are going to use Cinemotion Use Auto 1 If you use the motion enhancer. If you do not use motion enchancement(interpolation) Use Auto 2.

I just ordered a 46V5100 and should be getting it in this week. Would these settings be good to use even though the screen is smaller? What, if anything, should I change to account for the difference in size? Thanks!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeck View Post

I just ordered a 46V5100 and should be getting it in this week. Would these settings be good to use even though the screen is smaller? What, if anything, should I change to account for the difference in size? Thanks!

While I never say never, I would highly highly doubt it.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

While I never say never, I would highly highly doubt it.

Thanks, that's good to know. Now I just have to figure out how im going to calibrate the TV for myself. I don't own a Blu-ray player, but I do use an HD cable box. I have an upconvert Samsung DVD player that I could use with DVE or AVIA but this would have to be the SD versions. Would this provide an accurate calibration to view HD cable, or should I just wait until I can purchase a Blu-ray player and use the Blu-ray version of DVE? Any other ideas for now?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:49 AM

Xchair, I have the garbled sound sometimes too so it's not just you. It's enough to be annoying but I don't know what else to do except change channels and return to what I want to watch.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolowl View Post

Xchair, I have the garbled sound sometimes too so it's not just you. It's enough to be annoying but I don't know what else to do except change channels and return to what I want to watch.

Is this with cable box, if so try pushing the replay button once and see this helps (instead of changing channels).
Old 06-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I get garble sound sometimes when I change channel on my Dish DVR. I wonder if its the receiver or my TV.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:02 PM

Hi all, I bought a 46 v5100 about three weeks ago. I can't decide if I like it or not. Sometimes the pic is great and sometimes it's terrible. I have Direct HD DVR and a sony dvd hooked up and thats it. I notice on scenes with close ups or alot of flesh tones( beach scenes etc.) the color keeps flashing. Faces turn a brighter red and then go back to normal. Happens quite often. A setting maybe? I also have had the garbled sound. A couple times when changing channels, and a few times when in the middle of watching something. I hear an "errr" sound then the audio is garbled. Can it be the direct box? Also 3 times I have turned on the set and there is NO sound at all and have to turn it off and on again to get sound. Am I paranoid or should I be returning this set? Thanks in advance
Old 06-02-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I see this too. Should we return our sets? I did not call it flashing but more like colors buzzing around. I know that is not really what it is but that is the best way I know how to describe it.

fafner
Old 06-02-2009, 04:59 PM

My cousin has one and SFIV on this set is amazing. I was ripping off combos and it looked so smooth. Haven't seen movies on it yet.

Awaiting the Reference Standard in Blu Ray REGION FREE Player Technology and EW service..............................still waiting. :)
Old 06-02-2009, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xchair View Post

This what I see. a solid color somewhere in the scene. The chroma value of that area increases or decreases in a small increment. This happens without affecting the luminance of the entire scene as auto dimming does.

Exactly. That describes it perfectly. I saw the same thing with the first Westinghouse monitor I bought and returned it. I did not see it with the replacement. I'm thinking we should return our sets. The only thing is that my sets was an open box item

fafner