Official Sony KDL-xxV5100 Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 4672 Old 04-10-2009, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've yet to notice the auto-dim when watching a TV or movie. I was watching Death Race last night and it had some fairly dark scenes. Never once turned the black light down. Only time it did was when the BR was loading and there was this small box on the screen with all black around it. But during the movie it was fine.

I still can't get my Harmony 880 to change the inputs. I couldn't get the device mode for TV to switch them. Guess I'll wait until the Harmony database adds info for this model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4672 Old 04-10-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzss View Post

So I've yet to notice the auto-dim when watching a TV or movie. I was watching Death Race last night and it had some fairly dark scenes. Never once turned the black light down. Only time it did was when the BR was loading and there was this small box on the screen with all black around it. But during the movie it was fine.

I still can't get my Harmony 880 to change the inputs. I couldn't get the device mode for TV to switch them. Guess I'll wait until the Harmony database adds info for this model.

Thats weird that you can't get the 880 to switch it as mine is working flawlessly. Once I figured out which inputs corresponded to which signal. Give customer service a call as they can correct it for you if you can't figure it out
post #63 of 4672 Old 04-10-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandam2000 View Post

Hey everyone... I'm curious as well 2 know which sony model 2 get.. Between the the w4100 or v5100... As I'm a big gamer & of course into movies & sports as well.... Anyways I did some research & maybe this will help as far as a review goes...

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...Review-919.htm

It has up to 16 pages on the 52V5100 when it comes to the areas of the tv.. Of course I still will be waiting on c-net review of course.. But this may help out in the meantime..

Also if you wanted to know what they say on other sony models.. Here is another link as well....

http://www.televisioninfo.com/d/reviews/sony.htm

I went to best buy to day to look at the difference between the 2 models of course.. But as usual my best buy didn't really push the 2 models..

I like both sony & samsung.. just trying to figure out the lesser of 2 evils..As we all are & the best bang for our buck... I just hear the samsung gaming lag & not able to change the settings in the game mode on the 650 really turned me off. So that's what made me want to get a sony... So now I'm trying to figure out the best between the W4100 & V5100 .... I'm looking between a 40-46 for the bedroom... And the 120hz is a must of course.... I know the contrast is is 50,000 vs 30,000... Can you really tell the difference between these 2 models if so please let me know.... Thanks even though I know contrast is made up figures... LOL

I compared 46" w4100 and v5100 at frys about a week ago they were right next to each other getting the same blu-ray demo disc feed via HDMI

contrast wise I never saw a difference but the disc never played anything dark (gee i wonder why)

picture quality wise they are very close to each other but I think I would give a slight edge to the W4100 it just seemed to me it looked slightly better but who knows, go check them out in a store I know they are both selling for the same price right now making it a tough decision but I would lean twords the W4100 imo

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #64 of 4672 Old 04-10-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1011 View Post

Thats weird that you can't get the 880 to switch it as mine is working flawlessly. Once I figured out which inputs corresponded to which signal. Give customer service a call as they can correct it for you if you can't figure it out

Call Logitech customer service? Is there a way for them to tell me when a model has been updated in their database? Like can I email them through the setup site that I have this new model and ask when their database will have it?
post #65 of 4672 Old 04-10-2009, 10:52 AM

They should walk you through correcting what ever issues that you have and make what ever changes they have to.
post #66 of 4672 Old 04-11-2009, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
My 2 cents. I purchased a 52a650 Sammy around 3 weeks ago. I had replaced a 55a200 with its second green blob. That set was a replacement for an XBR2 that green blobbed. I really did not want to give sony another penny.

The Sammy 52a650 and this 52v5100 were side my side in best buy and I spent a few hrs in store deciding when I first took the 650 home.

I tried and tried to adjust that 650 but just couldnt get it right. There were a few things that drove me up a wall once at home with that set. First It's colors although considered more accurate by reviewers I find that they were off by a hair. When I see Things on TV like products I own in my house like detergents or Fedex logos or things like that I found that the colors did not look quite right on the samsung that looked perfect on my sony sets.

Next, when in dark scenes I found the sammy to lose color capability and things looks very washed out in dark scenes. I believe it was the gloss coat because when things were dark the you could notice like a milky type color over everything. This didnt happen as much in newer of very contrasted dark scenes but on older programing or things not shot with high contrasts. I just couldnt get this stuff adjusted right no matter how hard I tried.

The last thing that drove me up a wall is that I hate AMP(the motion crap from samsung) With AMP off the TV Picture Jutters horribly. Worse than the LG, Sony or even the cheapo brand LCD's. It wasnt just mine I went and saw 3 different ones in store and the same thing was on all of em.

Anyway I returned it and got the Sony 52v5100 Yesterday and I could not be happier. This set has very similar color to my SXRD set. And is much sharper. The darks are way better than the XBR1 or a2000. Plain and simply star wars DVR'd in HD has never looked this good.

Its an LCD so with motion stuff off there is jutter but its so much smoother overall than the samsung.

In blasted modes and adjusting with a Demo in store these sets looked very close. When in my house they couldnt be farther apart.

Imo the sony hands down.
post #67 of 4672 Old 04-11-2009, 09:37 AM

When you calibrate the sony tell me what settings you got.I went with the settings of a review that was posted here on some site they look great i had to bring the backlight down a bit tho to 8 and the brightness to like 41.Colors around 48 sharp at 0 and warm color setting looks great on movies.

Games i like neutral tho and close to the same settings.
post #68 of 4672 Old 04-11-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

These are not Final. I have some work to do but these are what Im running for now.

User Menu Settings
Picture Mode : Standard
Backlight: 8
Picture: 78
Brightness : 48
Color : 47
Hue : 0
Color Temperature : Warm
Sharpness : 11
Noise Reduction : Off
Advanced Contrast Enhancer : Medium
Gamma : Low
Clear White : Off
Live Color : Off
White Balance :
Rgain -6
Ggain -3
Bgain -2
Rbias -4
Gbias -3
Bbias -3

Motion Enhancer : Off
Cinemotion : Auto1
Game Mode : Off

Setup Section
Eco (In setup section)
Backlight-On
Pc Power Management-Off
Light Sensor-Off

Screen Settings
Vertical Size -3
Horizontal Size -3

For me The Full pixel is no good I get lines on edge of screen. I had these set to -10 till this morning. I found a channel that -10 was to much. And adjusted till the screen just properly fit. It ended up being -3. Interesting enough the noise that fast moving video creates on this set that some reviews pick up on as did I went away. Basically this is as close to full pixel as I can get and I guess matches the output of my box most perfectly.

Edit-Added White balance
post #69 of 4672 Old 04-11-2009, 04:14 PM

I’ve just purchased the Sony Bravia KDL-40V5100 and wanted to elaborate on the auto dimming problem in case anyone is interested. The software version on my unit is ER3.3-D025, and I can confirm it does suffer from the auto dim problem and there is no known way to disable it as of me writing this. All the solutions and workarounds posted for previous models didn’t work for this one. Yes, the TV has a game mode, but can only be enabled for inputs and cannot be used for cable or air channels. No, game mode does not disable auto dim. Yes, the TV has TEXT mode, but it’s only available for PC connection (via RGB cable) and cannot be used for anything else. Auto dim can only be disabled for PC input connection (RGB) and nothing else.

I can understand for many people this function may not be a problem at all, but I can also understand why this is a very serious problem for many others. I personally think it’s a very serious problem.

My daughter plays a game with dark jungles and dark dungeons, as soon as she enters a dark location in the game the screen stays normal for few seconds and then dims to a level where you can’t see much detail and as soon as she enters a scene with some brightness, the TV almost instantly returns to normal brightness. It seriously interferes with game play and game mode does not help.

I have a homebrew DVR that allows me to edit scenes and when I try to use it on this TV to remove unwanted scenes, I move frame by frame as one scene fades out and another fades in so I can place marker right after a scene completely fades out, the TV dims while I'm doing this and makes it very difficult to do what I want to do.

When I was watching a science show on the cosmos, whenever there’s an extended scene showing a lot of stars on a dark background, the TV dims and I can’t see much details when this happens. Also, during the end rolling credits, the TV dims making it hard to read anything. And when you pause a DVD during a dark scene, the bright objects that can be seen after the TV dims flicker slightly (they don’t flicker until TV dims.)

I personally find the constant dimming and brightening distracting, but I'm sure there are some who are not easily distracted and wouldn’t mind this at all.

I made a DVD with Virtualdub and another program and timed it intentionally to keep triggering the auto dim on and off repeatedly. I took the DVD with me to a local store to test it on another unit, they didn’t have my model on display, but they had the KDL-40S5100, and it did the same thing on that unit also, but I think the timing was different for that unit. The guy at the store freaked out and thought my DVD was doing something to the TV, so he ejected the disk, hehe. Any way, he told me it’s the first time he’s seen this problem.

By the way, from reading on this forum and others, it seems Sony has this feature implemented so the TV would qualify for Energy Star certification. Because of this, don’t hold your breath for a firmware fix, there won’t be such a thing. When you turn the TV on for the first time, it will give you the option to set it up for Home or Retail, with the latter being non-compliant with Energy Star. I experimented with the Retail setup to no avail, it still dims. But if you want to experiment with that you can reset the TV to factory setup by pressing the UP navigation key on remote and clicking the POWER button on the TV at the same time. Keep in mind this will do the channel search all over again which may take a lot of time.

I have an older and smaller Sony LCD and when placed next to this new Sony, the picture Quality is rather amazing on the new one, especially the black levels. It’s very sad Sony had to ruin an otherwise excellent TV with this annoying feature.

I hope I was helpful.
post #70 of 4672 Old 04-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Thanks, nmarion, I found your post very interesting.

I would like paint the auto-dim using a different brush.

From what I've read elsewhere I believe the auto-dim feature was introduced to solve a different issue that was critical for other models of Sony tvs. I believe the auto-dim feature was introduced to reduce an issued called 'clouding' - where an otherwise black area on screen would show areas of ghostly white regions. I assume these regions were labeled Clouds.

My 46v5100 (with the same software as yours) has a much blacker...errr... black, and I belive that these new models are much less susceptible to clouding. I'll go as far as to say that my TV is immune to clouding.

Which is why I believe/wish/hope, that Sony will/could/might release a firmware revision that includes the option to control auto-dim.

...pjpg
post #71 of 4672 Old 04-12-2009, 09:28 AM

I bought the 40V5100 yesterday, despite having read some bad reviews about the auto-dim problem. To test it, we rented Dark Knight, and sure enough, the dimming happened several times. Otherwise, the picture is fantastic. So, I'm trying to decide whether to keep the set or exchange it.

I'm new to HDTV (our only set for the past 10 years has been a 13 inch CRT), and I was hoping that some of you with more experience with other TVs could give some advice on whether to exchange this and if so for what other manufacturer/model. I'm thinking that maybe all flatscreen TVs have some problem. Cnet reviews, for example, briefly mentions some backlight problems with the W4100 series (they haven't reviewed the V5100s yet), which I think might be the auto-dim issue. They didn't seem to think it was a big deal.

So, I'm afraid that if I get a different TV I'll just be exchanging one problem for another. For example, I really liked the Panasonic, but the shiny screen won't work in the brightly lit room where we watch TV. Is it true that all models have some problem and I just need to pick the problem to live with, or are there models that really don't have any major problems? If there are alternatives, can anyone make some suggestions?
post #72 of 4672 Old 04-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
i have the 465100 and it dims when the screen is nearly all black. Its noticeable, but not over the top. uniformity is pretty solid but viewing angle is poor. the motion flow works well. here are some screen shots of it in action

post #73 of 4672 Old 04-12-2009, 01:40 PM

pjpg, I'm familiar with the clouding problem on some Sony models, I actually own another Sony TV that does show clouding in dark scenes, but my clouding is not as significant as I've noticed on some videos on YouTube. Personally, I see the clouding as a lesser problem than the auto dim. Also, I agree this new TV has excellent black levels without the dim -- clouding, I believe, is not a problem for the 5100 series. That begs the question, then why did Sony implement the auto dim?

Cnet criticized Sony for the auto dim since they reviewed the first 4100 models and Sony has yet to release any fix for those and what's more, they released the 5100 with the same problem. To my knowledge, there are workarounds for the auto dim on the 4100 that I can confirm don't work for the 5100. So, Sony didn't release a fix for the 4100, re-implemented the auto dim in 5100, and seems to have made it more difficult to get around it. Do you still think they will release a fix?

Sony used to have a reputation for quality that it doesn't currently deserve. They are still relying on their old reputation and customer loyalty for generating income. But thankfully, more and more people are buying their displays for features they like rather than the name.
post #74 of 4672 Old 04-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I bought one today for $1958CAD(46inches), tax included. Like mrTAPOUT said, the viewing angle is poor, but other than that, this TV is one solid performer. 120Hz motion flow works beautifully...the black level is excellent and the auto dim thing rarely turns on during normal viewing, so it doesn't bother me one bit.(at least for now).

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
post #75 of 4672 Old 04-13-2009, 07:20 AM

You guys that purchase this tv have you noticed any flashlight problems? My tv has them in the upper corners, with the right side more prevalent than the left. They're still not as bad as my Sammy was so I'm happier, but they still annoy me. My eyes go right ot them on dark scenes. I've turned the blacklight down some and that has helped a little. But maybe I got a dud or something. I'm debating exchanging it and trying one more tv before I give up completely on LCDs and go with a plasma.

I haven't had a problem with the auto-dim feature during a movie, except for one. Tommy Boy was on tv this weekend and the scene where they're in the hotel with the lights off triggered it. They had the lights off so the scene was real dark. It took a couple seconds for the auto-dim to trigger and I was waiting for it too. The scene was only a couple of seconds so it didn't really bother me, plus there wasn't much to see anyway. I"m going to play Resistance 2 on my PS3 soon and see if it does it. There's a bunch of dark scenes in it.

Oh, I also got my Harmony 880 to work right. I figured out which input settings on the remote control them, so I've got it working now.
post #76 of 4672 Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mine does have some light area in the upper left and a very very hard to see area on the upper right.

Edit-The one on the left is very slightly visible during dark scene letterboxed movie. the one on the right isnt visable at all. These are still better than either of my SXRD sets were too. They are a dont care for me.

However the sammy a650 I exchanged for this was indeed worse.

The dimming on this set that people complain of really doesnt seem to bother me much at all especially knowing that the only other set for me would be the sammy.

The sammy has many issues of its own. To me the issues of the sony bothers me ALOT less. Nothing is perfect this set imo is better.

For thoses on the fence Ill tell you what I did not like about the sammy 52a650 I had.

The sammy Had incredible black. To incredible. It actually hurt my eyes. Things on that set were blacker than real life. But what I noticed was that when I turned down the contrast the set lost color punch and became washed out as if I was changing brightess. I then had problems getting the set adjusted to what looked good. The only reason the blacks were so Black was becasue the set was so bright. Not because the black was so black.

After a few weeks of adjustments of that set I just felt that it was always trying to trick me to thinking it had black blacks. Then when watching dark scenes in the set seems to make all colors some shade of grey. It seemed to me that there was no color in darker scenes.

Most of this was confirmed to me when I got the sony. I couldnt be happier with my decision to return the sammy and go with the Sony.
post #77 of 4672 Old 04-13-2009, 08:01 AM

Yeah, the Sony is definitely better than the Sammy when it comes to the flashlights. With the Sony if I'm into a movie I won't even notice them, that's how much better they are. But the Sammy I almost always saw them on a dark screen.

One other question, when first turning the tv on, does it take a while to recognize the incoming signal and show the picture? My have DirecTV hooked into HDMI 1. When I turn everything on, the tv won't show a picture for about 5 seconds, then pops up the no signal received screen for another 5 seconds. Then within a split second shows the picture, then the no signal screen, then will finally show the picture. I tried with to turn the tv on with my PS3 as input thinking it was the DirecTV for some reason, but it still does it then. So it seems to be a problem on startup. Switching between inputs works fine.
post #78 of 4672 Old 04-13-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

The sammy and the sony were both really slow at input switching. Sony may be slightly slower but I didnt time them. They both take alot longer than my old SXRD.

My guess is that is to alleviate older handshake issues.
post #79 of 4672 Old 04-13-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

What about renaming this thread into Sony KDL-XXV5100 owners thread?It has already turned out as an owners thread
post #80 of 4672 Old 04-14-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISGEOFROMGREE View Post

What about renaming this thread into Sony KDL-XXV5100 owners thread?It has already turned out as an owners thread

I agree!

Also, how can I tell if my PS3 is outputting 24p with bluray movies on to the TV?

PSN: anoushi
post #81 of 4672 Old 04-14-2009, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

logically it should appear when the playback starts on the corner above,stating the resolution, 1080/24p
post #82 of 4672 Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 AM

Quick Question for you owners. How fast does the V5100 channel surf? Long delay for changing channels? Pet peeve of mine and want to make sure its quick before ordering on line.
Thanks!

Tom
post #83 of 4672 Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimesth View Post

Quick Question for you owners. How fast does the V5100 channel surf? Long delay for changing channels? Pet peeve of mine and want to make sure its quick before ordering on line.
Thanks!

Tom

Couldn't tell you. I use DirecTV so it's as long as it takes the box to switch channels.
post #84 of 4672 Old 04-14-2009, 10:25 AM

Bought my 46v5100 from Amazon yesterday hoping for it to come by monday. Got my wallmount from monoprice. Looking forward to this because my current living room tv is an old 1080i sony 32"inches. It will be going into the bed room. Hopefully the issues mentioned in this thread don't bother me because I'm a stickler for video issues, but I'm sure I'll be happy with the unit. Looking forward to it.
post #85 of 4672 Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 PM

Question. The motion flow what do the levels mean. They have high, low and off. I have know Idea what it means thanks. Also, what does game mode mean? And why does the motion flow go to off in game mode? Thanks again.
post #86 of 4672 Old 04-15-2009, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Are there any 2nd generation SXRD owners (XBR2, A20XX and A3000) that have gone with the V5100? I am one of the many who have had multiple optical blocks replaced and now the 52V5100 is the set I have chosen to replace the XBR2. So...I am very curious of the impressions folks who have switched from SXRD to this generation of LCD have.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I won't have the set for at least two weeks and I could still change my mind, although it would cost me a fair amount of cash (XBR9, for example). Thanks in advance for your input...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #87 of 4672 Old 04-15-2009, 06:40 AM

Just received my 46V5100. The auto dim is much worse than I had expected. Also, I have noticed that occasionally the color level fluctuates. For instance, if I am watching someone's face, it pushes to red for a second, and then back. As a test, I disabled all "features" in the picture menu. Still there. Anyone else see this?
post #88 of 4672 Old 04-15-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Are there any 2nd generation SXRD owners (XBR2, A20XX and A3000) that have gone with the V5100? I am one of the many who have had multiple optical blocks replaced and now the 52V5100 is the set I have chosen to replace the XBR2. So...I am very curious of the impressions folks who have switched from SXRD to this generation of LCD have.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I won't have the set for at least two weeks and I could still change my mind, although it would cost me a fair amount of cash (XBR9, for example). Thanks in advance for your input...Will

I am your man right here. I had a 50xbr2 loved it. 6 Months in it was replaced by tweeter for a 55a2000. Loved it 1 yr later it was repaired by sony with a new optical block. 1 year after that. around 4 weeks ago it got the blob again. This time Sony wont repair unless I pay for the repair guy to look at the set to determine if it is indeed an optical block. I grew tired of this ****. Its in my garage. and has one year left on optical block so i think ill call them in January.

Anyway I loved that set CNET even still considered it reference as they still compare the picture to I think the a3000 which is the same set.

So, I purchased the 52a650 to replace since I hated sony. As I posted a few posts earlier in this thread I do not like the sammy at all. So I returned it for this 52v5100 under the 30 day return.

The 52v5100 has way better black lvl than the SXRD sets no matter how good you think the SXRD is. The color of this LCD is very very similar to the SXRD set. The v5100 is much clearer than the SXRD set. And finally I always watched the SXRD on medium iris setting because I did not like the glowing black areas. This always made me feel like The set was just a hair not bright enough. There is no such problem with the LCD. Overall I feel that this is a working version of the set I replaced and best of all I can stop looking for green blobs.
post #89 of 4672 Old 04-15-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdau View Post

Question. The motion flow what do the levels mean. They have high, low and off. I have know Idea what it means thanks. Also, what does game mode mean? And why does the motion flow go to off in game mode? Thanks again.

I think the motion flow turns on the 120hz. I'm not sure though as my tv didn't come with a manual.

That's another thing I meant to ask, did anybody else not get a manual with theirs? I got 2 quick setup guides, but no manual. I looked all through the box and didn't see it.
post #90 of 4672 Old 04-15-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

The 52v5100 has way better black lvl than the SXRD sets no matter how good you think the SXRD is. The color of this LCD is very very similar to the SXRD set. The v5100 is much clearer than the SXRD set. And finally I always watched the SXRD on medium iris setting because I did not like the glowing black areas. This always made me feel like The set was just a hair not bright enough. There is no such problem with the LCD. Overall I feel that this is a working version of the set I replaced and best of all I can stop looking for green blobs.

Have you noticed any flashlights at all?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page