Old 07-01-2009, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xchair View Post

I would have to strongly disagree. Not that I want to be disagreeable.

The red flashing can be maddening. Particularly on close ups or 2 shots. Its presence tends to draw the viewer out of the experience and into the acknowledgment that there is a technical problem occurring on a consistent basis.

As beautiful as this set is I find it very difficult to watch it with the red flashing. There is also some auto dimming still occurring though it is more rare than it was.

Until Sony acknowledges the red flashing and fixes it I would have to tell anyone NOT to spend money on this set. Stay away until its is fixed. Buy something else. Think about it. Spending up to 2K on a set that consistently pumps the red levels up and down throughout a viewing? Thats a lot of money.

Again I don't want to get into a back and forth here but if you have to tell yourself to quit looking for it then your simply blocking it out.

Stay away from this set until sony fixes the problem. If hey can. There's simply no need to live with a problem like this.

I still have a few ideas to minimize the flash until we hopefully get some acknowledgement and a fix.

I so love and hate tweaking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am working on a 46v5100 connected with HDMI to both an H21 Directv sat receiver and Sony 360 Bluray Player.
Things seemed fine,but after a few weeks,the users are complaining about no audio on Satellite.
I went today and confirmed no audio(with video) with HDMI connected. If I turned the 46v5100 off and back on,I can get audio intermittedly at best. Most (switch on and off) repetitions produce no audio.
The Bluray has a similar problem,no audio,but if you turn the tv on and off, it almost always recovers the audio.
In addition it seems to take quite a while to display video when you select either source, Directv on HDMI 1 and Bluray on HDMI 3
I have not updated the firmware yet.Is this a problem that has been noted? It does not seem to be listed on the firmware updates description.
Thanks in advance for any insight!
Old 07-01-2009, 11:39 AM

Liked: 10
My two cents...

Perhaps this flashing business simply isn't on every TV. Some of us see it and some don't. I'm one who doesn't see it and it's not because I'm trying to avoid it.

As for whether this TV has a lot of reflection or not....IMO, it doesn't. Sure, if you stand 3 feet from a TV you'll see yourself but from a normal watching distance....? My TV is placed in a corner between two windows. There's constant light coming in from those windows at two angles and I don't see myself or anything else in the room except the TV image.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:45 AM

Reflective?

I just ran home at lunch to check out my new TV and see if the reflection was better than the old Sony RP. Verdict? WAY BETTER, actually hardly any at all. My living room is on the south side of the house and the south wall has 4 large windows in it, before my rear projection you couldn't even watch TV in the afternoon because of the reflection. The new 52v5100 looked great.

I wouldn't count the V5100's out because of reflective screen.

Mark
Old 07-01-2009, 11:46 AM

ddingle, I've had audio problems since day one. Yesterday a service technician came to the house and within five minutes of listening said the TV was fine and it was the cable box's problem. I don't believe him. If I channel surf through all the channels a couple of times I'll usually have garbled sound once on a channel - AND that's without using the cable box! To stop the garbled sound you simply change channels and it's gone but it happens. And this occurs whether or not I'm using the cable signal from the cable box or directly from the wall into the TV.

It also occurs when using the cable box. In fact when using the cable box a different audio problem sometimes occurs. I'll be watching a channel and after a few minutes the sound will start to go goofy and then disappear altogether. You wait a few minutes and it starts to slowly reappear (garbled) and then it clears up. Wait a few more minutes and the cycle repeats itself. Grrr.... Again, the way to fix it is to change channels.

I'm still keeping the TV. The audio issues (as annoying as they are) are intermittent and not often enough to drive me crazy...yet.

Also, there is a noticible popping sound when you change from an HD signal to a SD signal when using a cable box. That I fixed myself by turning off the 4:3 override on the cable box settings.

So what I am saying is that yes, it doesn't surprise me that there are additional audio issues. When I spoke with a Sony technician the other day he said that I was the first to report an audio problem. Perhaps if more people did there'd be a fix forthcoming.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:

The V5100 is excellent when it comes to handling reflections.

You guys are killing me here. Every time I rule this TV out I get overruled! It is really strange as I have seen the same thing in the reviews I have read for the V5100 series. One review states that it is among the best for reflections while two others state it is one of the worst they have seen. It isn't possible that the series uses two different panels is it? I can't for the life of me figure out the discrepancies with this issue.

-Dave
Old 07-01-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStl View Post

You guys are killing me here. Every time I rule this TV out I get overruled! It is really strange as I have seen the same thing in the reviews I have read for the V5100 series. One review states that it is among the best for reflections while two others state it is one of the worst they have seen. It isn't possible that the series uses two different panels is it? I can't for the life of me figure out the discrepancies with this issue.

-Dave

there is not a single samsung left on the market that isnt 2 times worse for reflection. A sammy is the exact same thing as having glass crt or glass plasma.

There are a select few LCD set that have a pure matt finish these sets may be slightly better for reflection but they are tremendously worse for contrast ratio and black level.

The sony finsih is far and above the best finish to deter reflection and enhance the image.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolowl View Post

ddingle, I've had audio problems since day one. Yesterday a service technician came to the house and within five minutes of listening said the TV was fine and it was the cable box's problem. I don't believe him. If I channel surf through all the channels a couple of times I'll usually have garbled sound once on a channel - AND that's without using the cable box! To stop the garbled sound you simply change channels and it's gone but it happens. And this occurs whether or not I'm using the cable signal from the cable box or directly from the wall into the TV.

It also occurs when using the cable box. In fact when using the cable box a different audio problem sometimes occurs. I'll be watching a channel and after a few minutes the sound will start to go goofy and then disappear altogether. You wait a few minutes and it starts to slowly reappear (garbled) and then it clears up. Wait a few more minutes and the cycle repeats itself. Grrr.... Again, the way to fix it is to change channels.

I'm still keeping the TV. The audio issues (as annoying as they are) are intermittent and not often enough to drive me crazy...yet.

Also, there is a noticible popping sound when you change from an HD signal to a SD signal when using a cable box. That I fixed myself by turning off the 4:3 override on the cable box settings.

So what I am saying is that yes, it doesn't surprise me that there are additional audio issues. When I spoke with a Sony technician the other day he said that I was the first to report an audio problem. Perhaps if more people did there'd be a fix forthcoming.

Thanks! Do you have the latest firmware? I have not updated this Sony as yet.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:43 PM

Yes, I have the May update that is posted on Sony's website. We think there is yet another firmware being shipped in the newer sets but as of yet it hasn't been posted.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:04 PM

finally got my cable box hooked up. 2 questions:

1. when i am on standard def channels, i hit the "wide" button but it does not fit the whole screen. no matter if it is zoom or wide zoom or whatever, it still is framed. what gives?

2. sometimes when i turn to a channel, the picture gets really really small, almost like a 13 inch TV. when i hit wide, it corrects itself. Thanks
Old 07-01-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I have some interesting news. I think I may ...May...MAY have discovered the culprit of the red flash.

It may be Gamma-set on...I had mine on low since the beginning.

I have worked some settings very very similar to the ones with gamma set to low. Im viewingg them now to see 2 things.

One how I like them and, 2 does it solve the flashing red.

Meanwhile, If you can post yes or no that you see the red flashing and if you have gamma set to off, low, medium, high that woudl be very helpful

Thanks
Old 07-01-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I always use Medium. Reason being that I found low to enhance bright area of image med to enhance bright and dark area and then high seems to jack both bright and dark even more.

High is very unnatural imo.

I have pretty much always used medium for all settings. I have looked at off and low but only for mere moments. I jsut cant watch the set that way.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

I always use Medium. Reason being that I found low to enhance bright area of image med to enhance bright and dark area and then high seems to jack both bright and dark even more.

High is very unnatural imo.

I have pretty much always used medium for all settings. I have looked at off and low but only for mere moments. I jsut cant watch the set that way.

Mike,

All the setttings you have posted have indicated that Gamma is set to "Low".
Old 07-01-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunPowered View Post

Mike,

All the setttings you have posted have indicated that Gamma is set to "Low".

Thats correct. Those are excellent settings and are fully calibrated. I am investigating the gamma off as of now. More to come
Old 07-01-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Thats correct. Those are excellent settings and are fully calibrated. I am investigating the gamma off as of now. More to come

I'm trying to stay with you on this, but I am easily confused.

Why did you say " I always use Medium..." when your settings show "low"?

TV is coming tomorrow!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

These are what Im working with atm. Very interesting results so far. You might notice Im went with Hue 0. I know the DVE says go Red a few but my eyes and skin tones tell me otherwise. Also you might notice I am trying 15 sharpness. I believe it is default standard. It is becausse of the gamma off that I am trying this and with good result.

User Menu Setting
Picture Mode : Standard
Backlight : 8
Picture : 84
Brightness : 50
Color : 43
Hue : 0
Color Temperature : Warm
Sharpness : 15
Noise Reduction : Off
Advanced Contrast Enhancer : Medium
Gamma : Off
Clear White : Off
Live Color : Off

Advanced Settings
White Balance :

Anyway interested to see if you guys like em and more importantly if it fixes red flash for you guys too. So far it has for me.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe Serial Mike was talking about ACE, responding to a question I had asked about the setting in a previous post. The confusion seems to come into play because I was re editing that post and somehow the paragraph I was working on concerning the medium setting of ACE got deleted when I re saved it.

Yeah that was killing me I was trying to quote your paragraph and all it kept showing was one line I was like wth LOL.

Anyway my current posted settings are gamma low, ACE medium.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:17 PM

any suggestions to my question a few posts up? I'm going nuts trying to figure this out.
we are watching some SD channels and of course they are framed left/right.
However, when I hit the wide button on the remote, it just moves it a little bit...there are still always frames on the side. thanks in advance!
Old 07-01-2009, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I would check screen setting to see if the horizontal setting is set to 0 on all screen visual modes.

This is found in the Screen menu.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:42 PM

Well, despite a few reservations I pulled the trigger tonight when I got a local store to match the Big River's price on the 52V5100. I will pick it up tomorrow and give a full report after some initial impressions. I actually took a small flashlight into the store and observed the reflections from several LCD and plasma panels, and as many have reported the Sony was as good or better than any other TV I looked at. The Sharp E77U line was just as good if not better and was actually my first choice, but the picture on the Sony was better at "standard" settings. The menu system on the Sony and a remote that doesn't require pinpoint accuracy put me over the edge. I really wish the Sony has a swivel stand though. Once I get past the buyer's remorse phase I will feel better (there is always a sinking feeling when dropping $1700 I guess).

-Dave
Old 07-01-2009, 09:02 PM

i figured it out. since it is through a cable box, i had to hit the # key on the remote. thanks
Old 07-01-2009, 11:56 PM

I get the red flash sometimes but it only does it on some channels. I never get it with hd net, History hd, espn hd, abc, cbs, nbc. But I get it alot on tnt hd and tbs hd. I have comcast using tivo and cable cards
Old 07-02-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:

I believe Serial Mike was talking about ACE, responding to a question I had asked about the setting in a previous post. The confusion seems to come into play because I was re editing that post and somehow the paragraph I was working on concerning the medium setting of ACE got deleted when I re saved it.

OK - got it! Thanks for the clarification.

TV Thursday!
Old 07-02-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

So far so good. The image quality is better than the other calibration. I also saw color flicker 1 time but it was incredibly slight and so fast it was almost not able to be seen.

I am going to keep with these settings and keep you guys updated.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:44 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

..... I am going to keep with these settings ......

Heard that one before!
Old 07-02-2009, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farleyville View Post

Heard that one before!

Edit- I am going to keep these settings FOR NOW

Im just testing them for now.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At some point your going to have to watch something al the way through without tweeking it!

I think what you guys dont understand is that I am a stay at home dad. My tv is on sometimes 16 hrs a day

My tweaking isnt 2 hrs at night then post
Old 07-02-2009, 11:01 AM

I like the latest calibration. I've always preferred a bit more sharpness. 15 may be a bit much but we'll see. So far so good.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 AM

I just bot 46v5100 last weekend, HD tv programs look great on it.
But when I watch a blu-ray movie, I saw there was bright light(not very bright, but you can tell there are some light) from the upper left and right corner, especially when the sceen is dark.

I have sony repair guy come to my house to take alook yesterday, because it was morning, we can not see the light. so he said there's no problem.

Anyone know what is it?
I have everything set to facory default.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:54 AM

52V5100 was delivered earlier than expected. Driver wanted me to remove carton cover and inspect, which I did. He even offered to help me lift it onto my entertainment center, but I first wanted to cut a piece of felt to place under the base.

Cut the felt, wife and I put the set into position, attached the cables, and powered-on.

Wasn't impressed with picture at first, but realized I had set the cable box to 480i while temporarily using the bedroom TV. Set box to 1080i and it popped!

Made some preliminary adjustments and am pleased with the results. I'll take a more critical look tonight after the sun sets.

I like the sharpness at default (15) also.

edit: Build date: June 2009, FW: ER4.01-E128