Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 4672 Old 04-25-2009, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamfan16 View Post

Well, "V for Vendetta" actually ended up OK - its dark scenes still retained enough bright material to prevent any auto-dimming (that I saw).

"Pitch Black", however, was a different story. At about the 1 hour mark, when the 'night' begins, auto-dim occurs regularly. I'd say 6-8 times during the rest of the movie. While that's still below some of the disturbing numbers posted by others during other movies, it was still disruptive and wholly unnecessary.

It is sad that it cannot be addressed by a firmware update, since I'm sure that one of Sony's programmers could add the option to the menu during a smoke break. But since its probably an energy-saving feature, I doubt that they'll touch it. I think that this excerpt from Wikipedia on "Energy Star" explains why auto-dim might have gotten more aggressive on this year's model:

But maybe it's not part of the 'energy star' qualification, since I fail to see how a power-guzzling TV can save a significant amount of electricity by auto-dimming like this. I guess I'll just have to hope...

I noticed the auto-dim ALOT in Friday the 13th since every other scene is in the dark and it goes bright to dark alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 4672 Old 04-25-2009, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

dve.

Your welcome. Hope you like em

Yes they were great. The only change I made was turn on Clear White since I like whites as blindingly white as possible.

fafner
post #153 of 4672 Old 04-25-2009, 05:41 PM

What is the best way to convince Sony to fix the auto-dim problem? I've already returned one set thinking that a problem this obvious and annoying just had to be a manufacturing defect. I really don't want to return the current set, but short of that threat will Sony really do anything?

I've tweaked my set to minimize the problem as best I can, but now I'm at the point where I spend as much time waiting for it to happen as I spend actually watching any show.

When I last spoke with customer support they said to call an authorized repair shop - is their any point to doing that?

Any thoughts?

...pjpg
post #154 of 4672 Old 04-25-2009, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Yes they were great. The only change I made was turn on Clear White since I like whites as blindingly white as possible.

fafner

making one adjustment today.

Sharpness will be 9
post #155 of 4672 Old 04-25-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

making one adjustment today.

Sharpness will be 9

I will check that out.

This is really an amazing set. I bought it thinking it was a bargain and willing to sacrifice some PQ. I have, however, found that the PQ is really outstanding and find it difficult to believe that it can be bettered. The blacks are the exact same color as the bezel, colors are vibrant but very like-like, and whites are great....just fantastic overall. No flashlights, sparkle, judder, or any other detectable flaws. I could not be happier.

fafner
post #156 of 4672 Old 04-26-2009, 01:08 PM

I've enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks to everyone who's contributed. I plan on buying this TV tomorrow and am hoping that the auto dim issue isn't too bothersome.

There's one question I have and that is relative to sound. When the set is muted do you hear a hum or buzz sound? I hope not. I like it totally quiet when the volume is off or muted. Could someone check that out and let me know? Thanks.

BTW, I mentioned the auto dim issue to two sales people (at an electronics/media store) and they both acted like they've never heard of it. Either they are great liars or they don't bother staying on top of their products.
post #157 of 4672 Old 04-26-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolowl View Post

I've enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks to everyone who's contributed. I plan on buying this TV tomorrow and am hoping that the auto dim issue isn't too bothersome.

There's one question I have and that is relative to sound. When the set is muted do you hear a hum or buzz sound? I hope not. I like it totally quiet when the volume is off or muted. Could someone check that out and let me know? Thanks.

BTW, I mentioned the auto dim issue to two sales people (at an electronics/media store) and they both acted like they've never heard of it. Either they are great liars or they don't bother staying on top of their products.

The auto dim does not show in store mode because the tv always kicks itself into vivid and again its in store mode. So its not the salesman lying.

My set did indeed pull this on me once so far. Actually on the wife yesterday not me. But Id say I still love this set and since the new Samsungs have auto dim also and I like the sony picture better Im stickin with my sony.

Also I pulled out the DVE again today and im updating the sharpness to 8.
post #158 of 4672 Old 04-26-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:

The auto dim does not show in store mode because the tv always kicks itself into vivid and again its in store mode. So its not the salesman lying.

My set did indeed pull this on me once so far. Actually on the wife yesterday not me. But Id say I still love this set and since the new Samsungs have auto dim also and I like the sony picture better Im stickin with my sony.

Also I pulled out the DVE again today and im updating the sharpness to 7.

Me too, I don't really care about the auto dim. It has not been a problem for me. I am glad I went with this set and it is a great set. I got a great deal too. The picture is great and PS3 and 360 are amazing on this set. I know this is a problem with a lot of people, but to me it is not issue. I am thinking about having Geek Squad come on and calibrate it for me. Are they worth the money?
post #159 of 4672 Old 04-27-2009, 01:58 AM

Is anybody else having audio issues though with HDMI in to Optical out? Sometimes the sound just starts skipping or in other cases has horrible sound quality. It fixes its self after I quickly restart the set.

PSN: anoushi
post #160 of 4672 Old 04-27-2009, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I dont use the sets sound so that I cant answer. As for the BB calibration I believe its really just a DVE calibration with sets regualr settings not the service menu.

you can either use my settings that I have done with DVE which should be similar to a bb calibration. Or get a real calibration from an ISF tech.
post #161 of 4672 Old 04-27-2009, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

My KDL-52V5100 is on the truck for delivery, right now. I will immediately calibrate it and post my thoughts, comparing it to the KDS-R60XBR2 that Sony is replacing it with. Wish me luck!..Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #162 of 4672 Old 04-27-2009, 09:48 AM

I have the 40" V5100. Has anyone found that they need to have their brightness way down and the backlight up? I had to set my brightness down to 25 and turn the backlight up to 7. I was getting no contrast in peoples hair and the blacks were more of a gray. Reason I ask is that it seems that this is the opposite of what I have been reading. It seems that most of you have the brightness around midpoint and the backlight low.

I know it's all subjective, just curious...
post #163 of 4672 Old 04-27-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also I pulled out the DVE again today and im updating the sharpness to 8.

I tried sharpness at both 8 and 9 and found the PQ to be unpleasant so I went back to 5 and like it much better.

fafner
post #164 of 4672 Old 04-27-2009, 03:38 PM

Hello, I just hung up with an engineer at Sony. He said that he got a memo this morning that a firmware update will be released soon that allows the user to pick on the auto dim.

This is my second call and both times got them to transfer me through four levels before reaching a product engineer for the Bravia2's. He was very specific that the firmware would fix the problem and would be out soon.

I guess I did not need to send my first 52v5100 back after all! I just received my replacement!!!

post #165 of 4672 Old 04-27-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofpear View Post

Hello, I just hung up with an engineer at Sony. He said that he got a memo this morning that a firmware update will be released soon that allows the user to pick on the auto dim.

This is my second call and both times got them to transfer me through four levels before reaching a product engineer for the Bravia2's. He was very specific that the firmware would fix the problem and would be out soon.

I guess I did not need to send my first 52v5100 back after all! I just received my replacement!!!

Interesting... Hope they also release a fix for the 2008 BE2 models. One can hope!
post #166 of 4672 Old 04-27-2009, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I received mine today. Going from a 27" Wega Trinitron to this 52" beast is simply stunning! I still need to calibrate the TV, but all in good time.

However... I am having problems with the Component inputs. I normally run my TIVO (SVideo) and cable box (Component) to my Denon 3805 receiver and then to the TV through a component cable. I tried this setup with the new TV but received a No Signal message from the TV. I have tried the following actions with no luck.

Switched from Component 1 to Component 2 TV inputs
Replaced the component cable from the AVR to the TV using both tv inputs
Connected the cable box directly to the TV using component cable. I also switched cables and TV inputs...

I will call Sony tomorrow and see what they say. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

BTW.... cable box is also connected to the TV through DVI/HDMI cable and it works fine.

Thanks,

Dan
post #167 of 4672 Old 04-27-2009, 05:04 PM

I got a 52" installed today. It's so big I'm thinking of returning it for a 46". The HD channels look great but the non-HD channels suck. They don't look as good as my twelve year old 32" set. I'm disappointed in that. It didn't occur to me to think about that. All I was focused on was seeing great pictures in HD but heck...most of the channels are non-HD.

Signed, less than happy camper.

EDIT: I'm watching "House" right now on HD and am blown away. Maybe I should just never watch non-HD again.
post #168 of 4672 Old 04-27-2009, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

3 things effect SD on an HDTV set.

Service Provider
Calibration
Service provider I mean wires

SD on a properly calibrated v5100 look fine. Not in stretch mode mind you. there isnt really any 1080 set that stretches SD that looks good.

My SD looks great. I do have FIOS though.
post #169 of 4672 Old 04-27-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna088 View Post

Interesting... Hope they also release a fix for the 2008 BE2 models. One can hope!

The v5100 is a BE2 model. He said the update will be for all three 2008 5100 product lines
post #170 of 4672 Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 PM

serialmike, you said that the non-HD channels should look good on my set if it's properly calibrated. Is this calibration something a person could reasonably do who doesn't know anything other than how to follow instructions? AND, is this calibration something I should do? In other words, is this something I should expect to have to do with a brand new set? Thanks for the advice.

BTW, I changed my custom settings to match the settings you wrote earlier. Thanks for sharing those.

The screen image for the 4:3 non-HD channels goes from all the way at the top to the bottom of the screen with the vertical black bars on both sides. I assume that is the correct size. It's selected as normal instead of the wide screen.

EDITED: "Calibration" means those settings you posted earlier, doesn't it? When I read the note a few above here I thought calibration was something else. Thanks.
post #171 of 4672 Old 04-27-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:

The v5100 is a BE2 model. He said the update will be for all three 2008 5100 product lines

Yeah, I'm hoping they release something for the 4100 lines with BE2.
post #172 of 4672 Old 04-27-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Do you mean 2009? Either way, I hope this update pans out.

My Old Setup
...new pics on the way...
post #173 of 4672 Old 04-27-2009, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sonofpear, FYI the 5100's are the 2009 series. The 4100's are the '08 models.

Sony has a habit of saying anything to get you off of the phone, trust me. We can hope though...Will

First impressions, BTW...Not bad. I do like the 120hz Cinemotion (Standard setting). I've always had 60 frame sets. This is new to me. Blu-Ray and HD DVD look phenomenal at 24fps. I did notice some significant artifacting from OTA HD that I did not deal with on the XBR2. I did a rough calibration. I'll dig in further tomorrow.

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #174 of 4672 Old 04-28-2009, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry I was half kidding. While its true calibration will do ALOT. There are times when SD just looks like crap on some sets.

Calibration should help. My set looks very good with SD signals although I do still stay as far away from SD as I can and thanks to Fios thats pretty far.

Using my settings are a start. Chances are you got a very similar picture if not the same using my settings. There is also however a chance that my settings are a notch off here or there for your set.

Getting a DVE disc Blue ray or DVD from best buy is always a good Idea. And if you need perfection an ISF calibration is also good.

I dont need absolute perfection for 400 dollars on a 2k TV. 25 percent of cost to me is to much. But thats just me.
post #175 of 4672 Old 04-28-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Well...Going off of what sonofpear posted, I had to call up Sony since I just got my 52V5100 yesterday. I spoke to a gentleman named Jay in Engineering and he stated that yes, there is a firmware fix in the works to alleviate the auto-dim problem. And believe me, no matter what anyone says, it IS a problem. I haven't had this set for 24 hours and I am painfully aware of it.

As an example, I have an Onkyo AVR that when muted, it flashes 'muting' on the screen. As this occurs, the overall brightness flashes in time with the graphic. It is also very apparent in program material but it is not a deal breaker, since a fix is allegedly coming.

Now, Jay said that there is no time-line for when this fix will be released. He also stated that they are getting many calls complaining about auto-dim. My assumption is that the 'feature' is not as pronounced in last year's 4100 series and that is why a fix was not written then.

So, take this for what it is worth. Sony has been known to, let's just say, stretch the truth quite often. However, since we now have two members that have been told essentially the same thing, my comfort level has increased quite a bit. Let's hope that we have been told the truth.

If any of you other folks have the time, perhaps you can call and without mentioning that you heard a fix was in the works, complain about the auto-dim 'feature' and ask if anything is being done about it. Let us know! Thanks...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #176 of 4672 Old 04-28-2009, 07:19 AM

Please disregard my last message about component input problems. I have resolved the "problem". It appears that the Scientific Atlanta cable box provided by Comcast can only supply a signal through either Component OR HDMI/DVI connections, not both at the same time...

Now comes the big question... convenience of using the component input or the higher quality HDMI connection... I will have to experiment with this.

Dan
post #177 of 4672 Old 04-28-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDan View Post

Please disregard my last message about component input problems. I have resolved the "problem". It appears that the Scientific Atlanta cable box provided by Comcast can only supply a signal through either Component OR HDMI/DVI connections, not both at the same time...

Now comes the big question... convenience of using the component input or the higher quality HDMI connection... I will have to experiment with this.

Dan

No two ways about it, Dan. Go with HDMI. You can get killer prices on quality HDMI cables at monoprice.com. You won't get taken to the cleaners by paying 10 times or more than what they are worth. The cables from Monoprice are also very high quality. My theater room and bedroom home theater use them exclusively and I paid less for 4 six footers and 3 three footer cables than buying one six footer from Best Buy.

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #178 of 4672 Old 04-28-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDan View Post

Dan

In absolute truth the connections both can carry exactly the same amount of quality image for todays purposes. In actuality the unit in this case the cable box is where one becomes better than the other.

In most cases the cable box will output better image quality thru the HDMI. This is not the fault of the HDMI vs the Component but because the output of the piece is putting out a better image.

One specific example that can be referred to is in the case of Xbox HDDVD. The player for Xbox thru component was exactly the same image quality of the stand alone HDMI Toshiba player.
post #179 of 4672 Old 04-28-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

No two ways about it, Dan. Go with HDMI. You can get killer prices on quality HDMI cables at monoprice.com. You won't get taken to the cleaners by paying 10 times or more than what they are worth. The cables from Monoprice are also very high quality. My theater room and bedroom home theater use them exclusively and I paid less for 4 six footers and 3 three footer cables than buying one six footer from Best Buy.

Yeah. I have already given Monoprice around $100 for all of the recabling I did to my AV system. Its awesome quality for the price.

Dan
post #180 of 4672 Old 04-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I will wait until Sony fix the auto dim, then I will get my first HDTV from Sony.

If you are having problem with the auto dim, call them.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page