Official Sony KDL-xxV5100 Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 4672 Old 04-30-2009, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do you get the update? Do you get it with a flash drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

They would more than likely put it up on the Sonystyle site where you would put it on a flash drive...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #213 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 09:29 AM

Last night I was able to watch my tv for the first time. Even though colors are great and everything, there were a few things I noticed that bothered me.

1. In between, say, end of a program and beginning of advertisement, when the screen goes dark, it is not uniform. I saw almost random lighter, grey-ish rectangular boxes all over. It was noticeable enough that I stopped in between to confirm that what I thought I saw actually happened.

2. Another issue is different shades of the same color looked like bands. Example would be watching Blue Planet on National Geographic. The sea water looked like different bands of blue at times. I remember seeing bands of different shades of black / grey in some other program, Is it possible this is happening because I am using S-Video instead of HDMI ? Maybe I should see if I can replicate these with dvd, the player does have HDMI.

3. This is my first flat panel, so I am not sure about all the terminologies. I think I saw "clouding" at one point, a shade of grey in the form of cloud when the whole screen should have been totally dark.

If these still happen after my HD Dvr is installed, it's going back where it came from.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

- Dave
post #214 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Do not use Svideo. Nuff said. You buy this set you use no less than Component and or HDMI. EVER
post #215 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

post #216 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 12:53 PM

Does this work for 46V5100 too?
post #217 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 12:55 PM

Nevemind I found the 46 one
post #218 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

Actually, I do not require audio, but I do prefer to do both.

It is more like 99.9% have serious sound issues.

While I asked for UMR's help largely to calibrate by new JVC RS20, I also had him do the audio. I have a Denon 5805MKII which has internal Audyssey calibration. However, the 5805 allows you to program in multiple eq settings. UMR placed his settings on the manuel eq selection where I could use his or the one from Audyessey. After comparing the two carefully, I found UMR's to be superior. If you use him to calibrate your set you should also have him do your audio.

By the way, after his calibration my projectors on/off contrast ratio went from 5000 to 1 to 25000 to 1!
post #219 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

52v5100 Firmware released fix for dimming among other things

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu..._id=25&ULA=YES

Excellent! That was fast. Has anyone installed and confirmed it?
post #220 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Flashed and so far the dimming form even putting up the cable guild info bar is gone. or at least during day time. Its a little bright so we shall see at night. Looks great so far.

All my settings were still jsut as they were prior to flash too.

Whatever that did the TV definatly looks cleaners sharper and has even more pop to the image
post #221 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Flashed and so far the dimming form even putting up the cable guild info bar is gone. or at least during day time. Its a little bright so we shall see at night. Looks great so far.

Whatever that did the TV definatly looks cleaners sharper and has even more pop to the image

That sets my mind at ease. I'm glad I ordered one.

Now, I'm just waiting for delivery, and wondering if I'll be able to fit it into the back seat of my Civic....
post #222 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 01:51 PM

Well, this is interesting about the firmware update. I've done everything and am ready to plug my flash drive into the TV but think I'll wait a bit. That warning on the Sony site about how this process is not reversable caught my attention. Not that I want the rest of you to be the guinea pigs...but I'm going to let the rest of you try it out first.

Also, I wonder about my flash drive working. It's a SanDisk Micro but mine is 8 GB not 1 GB. Can't imagine it won't work but it wasn't on their list.

Anyway, can't wait to hear some feedback from those who do this and how the autodim is now working.

BTW, someone asked me earlier for my calibration settings and I never posted them. I'm not ignoring you but don't feel entirely comfortable doing so because really...I don't know what I'm doing and don't want to mislead someone into making their TV worse. I have like one hour of invested time into this and am barely even a beginner. Look at serialmike's and Will's and some other folks who know TONS about this stuff. Their information carries weight and experience. Okay? Thanks.
post #223 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I used a sandisk 8 gig. The files have to be outside of the folder not inside.

BTW, I know some...There are many around who know more.
post #224 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:

I just updated as well, but haven't had an opportunity to test to ensure that auto-dim is gone. I don't see any new menu options, though. Is there supposed to be any changes to the menu adding an "Auto-Dim" option?

(My software version is now ER3.84-D828.)

For anyone else who has yet to perform the update, I had to format my thumb drive to FAT32.

My Old Setup
...new pics on the way...
post #225 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I did not see any options either. The readme area said to further stop dimming effects turn to low contrast enhancer.

actually , here

* Addresses an issue with occasional intermittent operation when using Favorites or HDMI-CEC functions
* Addresses an issue where the picture brightness changes intensity on some scenes
Note: After the software update, please set Advanced Contrast Enhancer to LOW or OFF to further minimize this characteristic
* Improves menu navigation
post #226 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 02:27 PM

I tested the update by:
1) Connecting my laptop to the TV via HDMI
2) Creating a 1920x1080 canvas in MS Paint and filling it with black
3) Viewing the image full-screen (the only white portions are the cursor and a 1-2 pixel white border)

No auto-dim at all.

I will check "Pitch Black" later tonight or this weekend (but first I have an Onkyo TX-SR607 to hook-up ).

I'll probably post a review on a few websites this weekend, as well. Sony's new TVs have taken a beating due to auto-dim (rightfully so)... a few good reviews now that they listened wouldn't hurt.

My Old Setup
...new pics on the way...
post #227 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 03:44 PM

How do you flash it i nzipped all files to my usb mp3 player thats a flash drive as well inserted it now do i have to do anything else and what happens is there a screen that pops up
post #228 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Insert the flash drive, turn the TV on. It will do the rest. On my set the screen came on but after a bit it went blacnk, I just left it sit for a total fo 5 min form start as per instructions plus a min for good measure and then turned the set off pulled the USB and turned the set on.

But I recommend you read sonys instructions on the download page. Im am not thier support.
post #229 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360junkies View Post

How do you flash it i nzipped all files to my usb mp3 player thats a flash drive as well inserted it now do i have to do anything else and what happens is there a screen that pops up

First, learn to use proper grammar. It really helps others understand what you are saying when you use punctuations, capital letters, etc...

Secondly, I am not sure if an MP3 music player will be compatible with the TV for this application. You need a standard USB flash drive that is formatted to FAT32 to complete this operation.

Dan
post #230 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 04:55 PM

Well, I did it an it looks better. I really think the picture pops out more now. It might be my head playing tricks on me, but I swear I can tell a difference. I hope this gets the ratings up higher. This is really a great set. I see Bestbuy has this set on sale; probably because of this dimming problem. I am sure this set will be back to regular price now. Do you leave it on full pixel, Mike?
post #231 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Ding, dong the witch is dead!!

Perfect, I couldn't make the auto-dim come on at all after I flashed the firmware. This is truly a great day...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #232 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdau View Post

Well, I did it it look better. I really think the picture pops out more now. It might be my head my playing tricks on me, but I swear I can tell a difference. I hope this gets the ratings up higher. This is really a great set. I see Bestbuy has this set on sale; probably because of this dimming problem. I am sure this set will be back to regular price now. Do you live it on full pixel, Mike?

No, as per my post with my settings. I cant because some channels show noise on the edge of the screen. I have my set with -3 horizontal and -3 vertical size the smallest I can go before some channels show the noise on the edge of the picture. For PS3 bluray and dvd I do run full pixel at least till something shows edge. I didnt want to post those in case someone set up cable with it and didnt get what happened.

And also Scott, I agree. There is much more pop along with a more 3d looking image. It looks like I can reach right into the picture. The set with this firware update so far is looking incredible and I am now 1000 percent glad I returned that a650 samsung for this.
post #233 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 05:15 PM

I agree. It is like a new TV set. I am sure it is just in my head, but I really can tell a difference. Who is your cable provided? I have it in full pixel and I don't see what you are talking about, but I have no idea about all this TV tech stuff. So that is probably why I don't notice it.
post #234 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 05:18 PM

I agree about reaching out an grabbing them. I feel like I can grab these Redwings and Ducks players. Being a Sharks fan I would love to be able to grab some of these Ducks players. Man this TV really show of the PS3 and 360. And 4 HDMI. WOW that is freaking awesome.
post #235 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I have Fios. I haven't played a BR DVD or any games yet. I must admit while I expected noise on screen edges from SD I really didn't from the HD channels but there it was.

So thats why my settings are as such.
post #236 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 05:44 PM

You guys convinced me to go ahead and try the update. I did and it worked just like the instructions said. I did have to try twice because I had the files inside a separate folder on the drive so had to move them out of there. serialmike had written that earlier.
post #237 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdau View Post

I agree about reaching out an grabbing them. I feel like I can grab these Redwings and Ducks players. Being a Sharks fan I would love to be able to grab some of these Ducks players. Man this TV really show of the PS3 and 360. And 4 HDMI. WOW that is freaking awesome.

You bastards! I only hope sony doesn't just forget about the 4100 owners. It would be cool if they could fix it for all their tv's. Anywho, enjoy the fixed set. Don't you just love the 120hz tech mixed with the internal processing? A PS3 never looked better. If you haven't try MS: PR and Killzone 2. Wow! As a fellow Sharks fan, I feel your pain. The playoffs were just utter crap.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #238 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

You bastards! I only hope sony doesn't just forget about the 4100 owners. It would be cool if they could fix it for all their tv's. Anywho, enjoy the fixed set. Don't you just love the 120hz tech mixed with the internal processing? A PS3 never looked better. If you haven't try MS: PR and Killzone 2. Wow! As a fellow Sharks fan, I feel your pain. The playoffs were just utter crap.

Yeah that one hurt, but oh well. This TV makes 2k hockey look beautiful. I love it and the Show looks amazing. And after seeing some of the info at Operationsports Madden 10 is looking great too. If they could have won one at home in that first 2 we would have one the series. Marleau was hurt though and that does make a difference. Yeah this set is a BEAST! It will be good to see the rating go up now.
post #239 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 07:37 PM

Do you do anything after installing the firmware update? Are there new settings to change...should I change some original settings? I was looking for an autodim setting to alter but didn't see it. Maybe I just overlooked it. Thanks.
post #240 of 4672 Old 05-01-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolowl View Post

Do you do anything after installing the firmware update? Are there new settings to change...should I change some original settings? I was looking for an autodim setting to alter but didn't see it. Maybe I just overlooked it. Thanks.

Nope, just turn it on and go.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page