Vizio LCD/FIOS HDMI with some sort of noise problem on the display - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 03-15-2009, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a refurb Vizio O32L I bought recently. It's hooked up via HDMI cable to my FIOS DVR. Most of the time the picture is great - but occasionally it has fits of some sort of interference or noise - I don't know enough about these devices to know how to describe it.

I've attached a crummy pic of the problem, maybe it can convey what I'm seeing.

I've read about electrical noise, but I don't know what that looks like and if perhaps that's what I'm seeing.

I know it's not with the original signal itself - I can replay the same bit from the DVR and see different (or no) noise problems. I haven't ruled out the FIOS box itself, but don't know how to isolate it anymore at this point. And I know it's not the blocky compression sort of noise.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-16-2009, 09:12 AM

I have a 37 inch Vizio and cablevision and I get a similar problem. Purple lines will occasionally flicker on my screen. I have to reset everything to get rid of them. Also seems like some sort of interference but not sure what it could be.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-18-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

An update on my situation.

One, I found this thread: highdefforum.com/verizon-fios/33131-hdmi-frame-loss-vs-component.html, which seemed to have some thoughts that the FIOS box could be to blame somewhat - but I've no idea if the problem described is the same or not.

Originally, I'd gone with the HDMI cable that came with the TV, then switched to another one I'd ordered via some links from an article at CNET saying they didn't think high dollar HDMI cables did much of anything worth the money. No difference with the two cables.

I did try changing the video format on the FIOS box, but none of the settings mattered - the problem still occurred. (Last night the problem seemed to be pretty bad - it seems to be getting worse - esp. since I don't recall having it at all for at least the first week or two owning the Vizio TV).

I tried rebooting the FIOS box - that didn't help.

I've opened a support ticket with Vizio, but they've only gathered routine order data from me, no real help yet.

So ... I realized the TV has 3 HDMI plugs, what if I try the HDMI 2 or 3 input? When I first plugged it into HDMI 2, I swear it had a small bit of the problem, and then ... the rest of the night it was fantastic, not a single picture glitch.

Weird.

It is a refurb TV, so maybe the HDMI 1 plug has something wrong with it?
post #4 of 21 Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
strange problem, will be hard to tell, it could be either one tbh, do you not have any other HDMI devices to try with the TV? even then though it could be an incompatiblity between the TV and your FIOS if something else works fine via HDMI, I have seen this with my WD TV, it works great with an Insignia 32" I had and my current sony 32" xbr6 but if i try to use it via HDMI on my brothers Westinghouse 32" it will not even display anything via HDMI at any video mode yet his HDMI ports work fine with my PS3...

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #5 of 21 Old 03-18-2009, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

strange problem, will be hard to tell, it could be either one tbh, do you not have any other HDMI devices to try with the TV?

Nope, unfortunately. :-/

PS3 has HDMI? Neighbor kids might have one of those...
post #6 of 21 Old 03-18-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

yep, wouldn't be a very good blu-ray player without HDMI

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #7 of 21 Old 03-22-2009, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Update - the next night on the HDMI2 port, I had problems like crazy. I switched to the HDMI3 port, and while not 100%, it's been pretty close to 100% - at least for 2 days in a row. Neighbor kid doesn't own a PS3. I'm considering getting a blu-ray player, in part just to help troubleshoot this TV problem. Probably need to get a Verizon tech out to the house to have them check into it.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-22-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah another HDMI device could rule out the TV being the problem at least partially, there could though as I said in my first post be some sort of incompatibility between the FIOS and the TV model itself and there is really nothing wrong with either of them

I know alot of people on here speak pretty highly of Vizio tv's as a cheap alternative but, in my opinion its problems like this that make me stay away from anything but the best brands (sony, samsung, toshiba, sharp, panny)

You dont save much in the long run if you end up replacing the set in a year or 2 or have these random odd problems with the TV imho

post #9 of 21 Old 03-22-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
also to help troubleshoot and isolate the problem hook your Fios box to the TV via component and see if you see the same problem.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-25-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Very frustrated tonight. I've seen the scrambled picture problem affect (1) the "Retrieving Data..." graphic when it's buffering data and (2) the volume graphic, if I adjust the volume while the picture is scrambled.

To me, that should be proof that the TV is to blame, not the incoming signal.

After receiving great help via email from VIZIO support, I called into VIZIO support, and now they're claiming the email support I've received is moot, and I have to go get a neighbor's device to prove that there's a problem in the TV.

I'll keep a slightly open mind if their support could explain how a bad incoming signal could affect graphics which are obviously generated by the TV, but no one seems to want to do that.

So ... I guess I'll have to trouble a neighbor to switch FIOS boxes with me for a bit. Ridiculous.

AND ... once I punch through this wall, I'll still get to pony up the money to ship this thing back to them and be without a TV for who knows how long.

Big mistake not buying from a local vendor in this case, where I could just chunk the thing back at them. I read somewhere that Sam's has a pretty good return policy for their TVs - may have to check that out.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-25-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chrismo View Post

Very frustrated tonight. I've seen the scrambled picture problem affect (1) the "Retrieving Data..." graphic when it's buffering data and (2) the volume graphic, if I adjust the volume while the picture is scrambled.

Wait let me get this straight, you see this problem happen when your FIOS box displays retrieving data and the volume graphic shows up on the screen?

if that is the case it would likely say that its not the TV at fault but the FIOS box or as i have said before a signal incompatibly problem between the 2

a LCD tv does not "generate" graphics beyond its own menus, it can only display what is given to it, and slightly modifty what is given to it by an output device.

post #12 of 21 Old 03-25-2009, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

The volume graphic is definitely not the FIOS volume graphic. The FIOS remote by default sends volume instructions from the FIOS remote to the TV, not the cable box -- I can tell the difference between the TV volume graphic and the FIOS graphic.

I'll admit I presumed the "Retrieving Data..." was from the TV not the FIOS - but since I've not used the HDMI signal from the FIOS box before, I can't be 100%.

BUT ... it seems logical: it only shows that when I first power on the TV, regardless of the FIOS box already being on or not -- I presumed with the HDMI connection the TV was buffering a few seconds of data coming in on the HDMI.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

also to help troubleshoot and isolate the problem hook your Fios box to the TV via component and see if you see the same problem.

I'm trying this tonight. If I see the problem, then I could see that helping the case against the TV, though if I don't see the problem, that would seem inconclusive. Surely there's more in the TV to processing the HDMI signal than the component.
post #14 of 21 Old 03-25-2009, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BUT ... it seems logical: it only shows that when I first power on the TV, regardless of the FIOS box already being on or not -- I presumed with the HDMI connection the TV was buffering a few seconds of data coming in on the HDMI.

TV's do not buffer incoming signals they just display them.

this has to be your FiOS box that is displaying that message

Quote:

I'm trying this tonight. If I see the problem, then I could see that helping the case against the TV, though if I don't see the problem, that would seem inconclusive.

If it works fine on component I would say its definitely your TV's HDMI inputs OR once again an signal incompatibility between your FiOS and your TV, could also be your HDMI cable. have you tried getting a new HDMI cable? that is definately worth a shot cheap HDMI cables work fine most of the time but can have problems if their bandwidth is exceeded and you would see strange images if that happens

if you see the same problem on component its DEFINITELY your FIOS box Component video is analog, it will not display the sort of image problem you show in the photo unless the device that is connected is the cause. analog signals when they do not work correctly are not anywhere near viewable it will be a rolling messed up signal on the screen and you wont beable to make out much of what is being displayed.

Quote:

Surely there's more in the TV to processing the HDMI signal than the component.

actually no, HDMI has to be processed Less than component video signals, or any other signal for that matter on an LCD TV.

LCD's are Digital by nature, HDMI is the only Digital Video connection on a TV (less DVI and its really the same signal type as HDMI) ALL analog signals MUST be processed by the TV and converted to Digital in order to be displayed

post #15 of 21 Old 03-27-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Ok - the Retrieving Data... is definitely the TV. Choosing an HDMI port with nothing plugged in shows the Retrieving Data... text for a few seconds, then switches to a blue screen with No Signal.

Got an $80 cable at Best Buy and the problem still occurs.

And now I've got pictures with the Vizio menu showing when the scrambling occurs, and you can see it's not just the underlying picture from the FIOS box that's scrambled, but everything on the screen: http://picasaweb.google.com/the.chri...JXA9Prw_PnTcw#

Hopefully I can take this back to Vizio and at least get them to take the TV in, unless they can give me a good reason as to why a funky incoming signal would corrupt the TV's menu display as well. I suppose anything's possible.
post #16 of 21 Old 03-27-2009, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Yikes!! yeah take that thing back or call Vizio, though it could be an incompatibility still either way its not a good thing and looks like the TV is at fault

post #17 of 21 Old 03-27-2009, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

LCD's are Digital by nature, HDMI is the only Digital Video connection on a TV (less DVI and its really the same signal type as HDMI) ALL analog signals MUST be processed by the TV and converted to Digital in order to be displayed

Yeah, that makes sense.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-27-2009, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

Yikes!! yeah take that thing back or call Vizio, though it could be an incompatibility still either way its not a good thing and looks like the TV is at fault

Now I just got to convince their support. They were very adamant on the phone they wouldn't consider a return until I proved the problem by getting another HDMI device to try with the TV. What a pain.
post #19 of 21 Old 03-27-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now I just got to convince their support. They were very adamant on the phone they wouldn't consider a return until I proved the problem by getting another HDMI device to try with the TV. What a pain.

Well, they have a valid point to an extent, unless you can prove that there is nothing wrong with the FiOS box by connecting it to another TV with HDMI or using another HDMI device to confirm that it works properly, still though the TV is what induces the problem most of the time when its menus show on screen right? that should be proof enough tbh

post #20 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 03:00 PM

I'll chime in here. I just purchased a new TV and hooked it up to the FiOS HDMI port. It no worky. I called Verizon tech support. He indicated this is a known problem with the HDMI port on the FiOS Motorola HD box. I forget which box I hVe , but he said it was one of the latest ones - 7100 model I think. He mentioned Verizon was to release a firmware patch and push it to our boxes 'in April'. I asked April what year - he said it should happen soon - hopefully within the next few days.

So, don't loose hope, sounds like Verizon knows this is a problem with their box, not the TV.

Until then, I'll go component.

Good luck!
Dave
post #21 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixxi_carrera View Post

So, don't loose hope, sounds like Verizon knows this is a problem with their box, not the TV.

Thx for the input. In my case, it was definitely the TV. I ended up buying a Blu-Ray player and the TV was bad with it, too. I've also since splurged on a second TV, a Samsung 37in" that hasn't had one bit of trouble with the FIOS box.

Also -- Vizio, though they dragged their feet and weren't very responsive, have confirmed the problem with the TV and I should have a replacement TV arrive at my house soon - I just have to ship back to borken one to them.

The replacement Vizio will just have to go live in my bedroom.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page