KDL-46V4100 or KDL-46Z4100: Which to buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-19-2009, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read the specs on both of these Sony models and I still can't decide. The "Z" is $350 more. I'm wanting to use it to play games on my PS3 as well as watch Blu-Ray movies on the PS3. I am aware the biggest difference between the two sets is 60hz vs. 120hz but I'm not sure how that impacts how I want to use the TV.

Does anyone have any insight that will help me decide?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-19-2009, 02:57 PM

Not a gamer, but I decided on the "Z" just to have the latest version that would give the best bang for the buck. It honestly looks as good as any pic I've seen on other brands, but I like mine.
Do some searches on the subjest, plenty of discussion on what the game players like. I can add, some games looked great where others I believe didn't deliver. But it is in those type threads.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1200dallas View Post

I've read the specs on both of these Sony models and I still can't decide. The "Z" is $350 more. I'm wanting to use it to play games on my PS3 as well as watch Blu-Ray movies on the PS3. I am aware the biggest difference between the two sets is 60hz vs. 120hz but I'm not sure how that impacts how I want to use the TV.

Does anyone have any insight that will help me decide?

Thanks in advance!

If your watching Blu Rays I would absolutely want a 120hz panel. Worth the money imo.
post #4 of 22 Old 03-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Why not 'split the difference' and get a W-series?

I was originally going to get a 52V4100. But the place I bought from didn't have anymore Vs so they gave me a super deal on a W.
The W is 120 Hz. To be honest, I guess it's nice to have but, it's NOT a big deal.

The bottom line is this: Play PS3 games or watch a BluRay on a 46V4100 and the picture quality will be eye-poppin' & jaw-droppin'.
Will the PQ on a Z4100 be $350 better? I don't think so. But that's a question you have to answer.

Good luck.

My gallery

XBL: A CLAN OF ONE
PSN: A_CLAN_OF_ONE
post #5 of 22 Old 03-19-2009, 10:09 PM

You're going to spend a lot of money on a new TV, what's another $350. Go with the "Z" that way there will be no regret. The 120HZ makes a huge difference with Blu-ray movies.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-19-2009, 10:18 PM

Don't forget the z-series has the 10-bit panel and processor. Gives you smoother blends in the colors.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaotikpnoy View Post

You're going to spend a lot of money on a new TV, what's another $350.

A car note, a bunch of BluRays, another PS3, an Xbox 360, a bunch of games for PS3, another TV for the bedroom, a weekend getaway, etc.
Not everyone has an elastic budget there, Daddy Warbucks.
Quote:

Go with the "Z" that way there will be no regret. The 120HZ makes a huge difference with Blu-ray movies.

Again, if you want 120Hz you can get a W, for less $ than a Z.
And yeah, BluRays look like crap on a 60Hz set.

PS the 8 bit panel vs. 10 bit thing is even more ridiculous.
If you can, go look at a Z next to a V or W. I did and I didn't see ANY difference in color. But maybe you will. Then again, only you can decide if that difference is worth hundreds of dollars.

My gallery

post #8 of 22 Old 03-20-2009, 07:37 AM

Any chance that you can check out a W4100? I think that you might be pleasantly surprised. It has lots that the Z4100 has and is quite a bit cheaper (only about $150 more than the V4100 and at least $500 cheaper than the Z4100 here in Canada for what it's worth).

The 120Hz is a nice upgrade for the set compared to the V4100.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-20-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The Z is MUCH MUCH better than the v series. Better contrast, better 10 bit color panel, and 120 Hz is a huge difference. Also, look into the W series (quite a bit less and damn near as good) or the WL140 series. Sammy 650s are great too
post #10 of 22 Old 03-21-2009, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

I BOUGHT ONE!!!

OK, I did a 180 and got the Samsung LN46A650 instead of the Sony. Why? Because of the glowing reviews people have given it. I was on the fence on that model for a while anyway.

I hooked it up to my FiOS HD top box and WOW, what a picture! I'm a little confused to how to program the channels so I'll visit the dedicated thread on these Sammys to see if I can figure it out.

Haven't hooked up the PS3 yet or the Samsung HT-X710 2.1 DVD/DivX HDMI/USB Home Cinema System but that'll be this weekend's project.

So far I'm lovin' it. Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!!!

-Jacques
post #11 of 22 Old 03-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I BOUGHT ONE!!!

OK, I did a 180 and got the Samsung LN46A650 instead of the Sony. Why? Because of the glowing reviews people have given it. I was on the fence on that model for a while anyway.

I hooked it up to my FiOS HD top box and WOW, what a picture! I'm a little confused to how to program the channels so I'll visit the dedicated thread on these Sammys to see if I can figure it out.

Haven't hooked up the PS3 yet or the Samsung HT-X710 2.1 DVD/DivX HDMI/USB Home Cinema System but that'll be this weekend's project.

-Jacques

big mistake......should have stuck with Sony
I returned 3 of the Samsung 650's because of poor build quality(flashlighting and uneven screen lighting)also Samsungs customer service is a joke
post #12 of 22 Old 03-21-2009, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

I BOUGHT ONE!!!

-Jacques

I'm sorry to say it, but I don't think you did enough research. The tv you bought is known as one of the worst gaming tvs you can buy, because it has input lag that will be noticeable if you are playing fast action games. There is an entire thread dedicated to this topic and it's usually on the front page of this forum.

post #13 of 22 Old 03-21-2009, 09:14 AM

i've been gaming on my LN46A650 for several months now but i still did not really check on the input lag. Probably is just me not serious in gaming or PQ

Yea i just read some bad reviews on this model on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN46A650-46-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B001413D94/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1237651903&sr=1-1

post #14 of 22 Old 03-29-2009, 12:22 PM

So how does everyone feel about the V series. Bestbuy has the 46 inch on sale for 1300. I am looking to get my first HD TV and I want it to last and to be good with my ps3 and 360 games. How big of a deal is the 60hz vs 120 hz. Thats the only real thing that sticks out to me about this tv. Is there going to be any lag when playing games or the like. I think it has an 8ms response time.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-29-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxSteve View Post

So how does everyone feel about the V series. Bestbuy has the 46 inch on sale for 1300. I am looking to get my first HD TV and I want it to last and to be good with my ps3 and 360 games. How big of a deal is the 60hz vs 120 hz. Thats the only real thing that sticks out to me about this tv.

The V's are good 60hz sets, if you dont watch alot of movies or care about motion enhancers that will smooth the judder present in ANY film material 120hz does not matter that much to you, it is ONLY for this purpose and many people like myself prefer to watch movies the old normal way rather than pay alot more for a set that has these artificial motion enhancers

another thing to note is that 120hz tv's tend to have a bit more input lag due to the constant frame interpolation they have to do to display ANY signal sent to the TV where as 60hz sets do not have to do this to display game console content and broadcast HDTV because they are already at 60 fps most of the time or 30 fps with SDTV signals and in that case a 60hz only has to do 2:2 pulldown instead of 4:4 pulldown on a 120hz set

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #16 of 22 Old 03-29-2009, 12:45 PM

Good to know. My best buy doesn't have this exact set in, but I was going to go look at the other V series there and see how it looks.

How bad would the judder be on this Bravia and how would it compare to the SDTV I have now? Would I notice that on regular tv shows or just dvds? Also, the set is listed as having #
# Progressive CineMotion reverse 3:2 pulldown
For accurate reproduction of film-based sources.
post #17 of 22 Old 03-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So how does everyone feel about the V series.

Make sure and check out the V4100 thread--->CLICK ME<---
Quote:

How big of a deal is the 60hz vs 120 hz.

IMHO, 120Hz is nice to have but it's not a deal breaker.
Quote:

Is there going to be any lag when playing games or the like.

Yes, there will be lag. It bothers some. Most don't feel/see it.
I consider myself an avid gamer (Xbox 360 on a 52W4100 via HDMI) and I don't notice ANY input lag.
Quote:

I think it has an 8ms response time.

That spec isn't what you're going to be getting gaming, for the most part.
Do a search for 'input lag'. It'll answer some of your questions.

My gallery

post #18 of 22 Old 03-29-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good to know. My best buy doesn't have this exact set in, but I was going to go look at the other V series there and see how it looks.

How bad would the judder be on this Bravia and how would it compare to the SDTV I have now? Would I notice that on regular tv shows or just dvds? Also, the set is listed as having #
# Progressive CineMotion reverse 3:2 pulldown
For accurate reproduction of film-based sources.

your current SDTV is 30 or 60hz, movies will look the same judder wise as your used to now

as an owner of a 32xbr6 sony (pretty identical in specs as the larger V4100's) I can tell you that will most likely not like what Cinemotion does to movies, IMHO it makes the judder worse and more apparent in areas that you never even see them become juddery I've tried every setting combination on my TV with my PS3 and Blu-rays and even my PC with HD video files and have decided it stays off for good, I use my TV as a PC monitor though and I have found that windows media player 11's video smoothing does work fairly well in reducing judder to a certain extent without messing up the picture quality otherwise so I do use that when playing back movies on my PC

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #19 of 22 Old 03-29-2009, 01:06 PM

I went and checked out the input lag thread and it seems that the v4100 doesn't have any noticeable lag. Or am I reading that test wrong?
post #20 of 22 Old 03-29-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:

I went and checked out the input lag thread and it seems that the v4100 doesn't have any noticeable lag. Or am I reading that test wrong?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464 is the link to the thread

And thanks for all the help guys. I felt totally lost but I feel pretty solid on it now. I think this would be a great tv depending on what the input lag is.
post #21 of 22 Old 03-29-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem, I'm sure you will be happy with a V4100 , if you wanted to step up a model and get 120hz as someone else has suggested get a W4100 if that is worth it to you.

post #22 of 22 Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 AM

Dell Home was running a deal for $999 for the KDL-V4100 and free shipping. Plus I already had an account so they gave me 0% for 12 months. Wasn't in the market for a TV but I had to pull the trigger.

Thanks for all the info on AVS
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page