Input lag wars!, post your input lag results of your LCD display here for reference - Page 104 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3091 of 4281 Old 10-18-2011, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sabresandiego you can't use any sort of flash based stopwatch. Even ones running at 60fps there can be problems. We need to use the SMTT program Joeblow used. Joe did you get it from here? http://smtt.thomasthiemann.com/index_en.html If you could email it to us so we don't have to pay 5 Euros that would be awesome .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 4281 Old 10-18-2011, 09:36 PM

Update: After doing more accurate tests, this TV appears to have only about 2 frames of lag on average.

At this point it really doesnt matter what a more accurate stopwatch says to me, as I can feel the lag while using the mouse and when aiming in first person shooters. I am very sensitive to input lag, and this TV definitely has it. Considering Im getting about 33ms lag from one stopwatch and 58ms lag from the other stopwatch, it would be worth doing a test using a more accurate stopwatch (not online) to see how bad the lag truly is. I am guessing it is somewhere around 4 frames, 66ms lag for the e30. This is exactly what the digital versus review stated (which I was told is wrong).

Now my old hdtv, the UN40B6000 gets online stopwatch lag reading from 66ms to 116ms. The cursor feels underwater on that tv, so my guess is that it truly is about 8 frames of lag. Yes my new panasonic hdtv is significantly faster then my old one, but it is still too slow for competetive first person shooters. I spent 650 dollars to basically halve my input lag, which isnt really worth it. Half of bad input lag is still bad, especially when I was expecting 10ms input lag like that bogus italian/greek gaming tv article stated.

Of interesting note is that my input lag numbers are nearly identical to ace1252 (he has the U version of a similar panasonic TV), digitalversus (66ms), and hdtvuk(33ms). The only place that did not rate the input lag of this TV as being between 33-66ms is the bogus translated article from that italian/greek site.

Update: After doing more accurate tests, this TV appears to have only about 2 frames of lag on average.
post #3093 of 4281 Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'll be bringing back the LG 42LK450 tomorrow aftertoon. Hopefully all goes well with the 2 frames of input lag....if that's even correct.
I just don't feel like bringing my Wii or PS3 down to BB and hooking them up to multiple TV's....It would be just kind of akward and annoying. If i don't end up liking it I'll just return the sucker.
post #3094 of 4281 Old 10-18-2011, 11:46 PM

That is weird I did assume it was wrong because I read several other reviews that said around 20ms in game mode. There was also a a couple guys who said his review used a different European market panel or something of that sort. When I had my laptop hooked up the mouse felt very responsive and and couldnt see any difference when moving and maximizing windows.

I really need to performe my own test however. Im going to go ahead and purchase the stopwatch program and see what results I can get. Remember the U version is very different, and shouldn't be in the same linup as it has different hardware, and hdtvuk said they used cinema mode in their review. My results might concur with yours and I will post again when I can.
post #3095 of 4281 Old 10-19-2011, 03:59 AM

Stop Watch In Game Mode:

You can see the 500 start to come through below on the tv, and the 500 leaving on the laptop, things like this make it a little trickier to read. Result below is 15ms.

Stop Watch In Standard Mode:

SMTT in Game mode:

Method: I used my laptop in clone mode using a DVI to HDMI cable going into HDMI 4 on the side of the TV. That input is also labled "PC".

The shutter speed used to take the pictures was 1/125. I did figure out after I took the pictures how to make the camera's shutter speed go up to 1/200 which is a lot faster. I feel I need to do the SMTT again using that 1/200 shutter speed for better accuracy, but its too late and I need to sleep. I'm not doing the stopwatch again as 1/125 I'm sure is fast enough for an inaccurate program like that.

Summary of Results:
The stop watch in game mode shows 0 to 1 frame of input lag. 0-16ms

The stop watch in standard mode shows two frames of lag around 32ms.

The SMTT shows anywhere form 15-19ms of input lag very consistently. Remember to read the SMTT you take the highest number on each display and compare them. Also It can be hard to read some of the numbers. SMTT is fast enough that pixel response time plays a part in trying to read it. I took the highest number that started to come through, where the old one might not necessarily be gone yet.

I will try to do the SMTT again using 1/200 shutter speed.

Note: Using the clone method can be off because the laptop display might add a little bit of lag, making the two results closer together. Even so, these numbers will still give you a good idea.

Note 2: The TV (American VIERA TC-L42E30) is updated with the latest firmware v1.20. After putting the input on Game Mode, the TV was shut off and turned back on. The stopwatch program an installed .exe from http://tft.vanity.dk/. The smtt high accuracy stopwatch was from http://translate.google.com/translat...&ie=iso-8859-1 cost 5 Euros

Edit: oops I just realised I cut the tops off some of my SMTT pictures, I will try to do that test again for sure now.
post #3096 of 4281 Old 10-19-2011, 10:14 AM

I downloaded the flatpanel UK stopwatch but my camera is too poor to be able to capture the image of the two tv's. How did you get updated firmware for the TV? Also, I also have my computer connected to the tv through a dvi to hdmi cable in the hdmi4 port, and the input is labeled "computer" not "PC" as "PC" was not a selectable choice. I also tried labeling it game, and the name did not seem to effect the input lag readings. Finally, why is there a discrepency between your input lag results and my input lag results (mine were done with online stopwatch). Game mode does not effect my input lag results (I am assuming game mode is done by selecting "game" in the menu under "picture mode" which has settings standard, vivid, cinema, game, and custom. Could it be possible that my tv is malfunctioning and not going into game mode correctly even though it says "game"? How do I check my tv's firmware or get new firmware? I have the american tc-l42e30.

I also want to share some further settings:

Backlight: 50
Contrast: 60
Brightness: 60
Color: 40
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 4

Color temp: normal
A.I Picture: Off
C.A.T.S. : Off
Video NR: Off
Aspect adjustments: Screen format: Full, HD Size: Size 2
HDMI Settings: All set to auto, content set to off
Advanced Picture: Mesquite NR: Off, Black Level: Light

Update 1: Just read through the manual that I can search for firmware updates if I connect my TV to the internet, so I am currently searching for an ethernet cable and then plan to upgrade the TV's firmware.
post #3097 of 4281 Old 10-19-2011, 11:11 AM

Oops let me calrify. I was tired and I saw "PC" printed next to the hdmi 4 port on the TV, but that is for the usb port.

To update the firmware, plug your TV into your router using a Cat5 cable. Go to Setup-->Network Settings-->Software Update.

To activate game mode I did it the same way you did. Just change the picture mode past standard and cinema etc. Every now and then I read about someone commenting how their game mode setting didn't stick even though the TV said it was on game mode. Whenever I switched to game mode, turned the TV off and back on again just to make sure, but I'm probably being too anal.

I'm not sure why our results are different. I may speculate:

Just for note my TV was manufactured in January 2011, maybe they changed something later in the production run (probably not).

I also didn't use an online stop watch. I downloaded the .exe from the link in my last post and installed it, and did not have the stopwatch running in my web browser. There are a few articles out there talking about how flash is too sluggish and inconsistent at the speeds we are dealing with to be accurate anyway.

One thing you need to do is get the shutter speed as fast as possible on your camera. My Nikon L22 will do 1/200 in "sport" mode with exposure compensation on the darkest setting and if there is sufficient light. If you hold the shutter button half way down, it will tell you the shutter speed before it takes the picture, then you continue depressing the button for it to capture the shot.. It needs to be fast to get these measurements right, otherwise it just looks like a bunch of numbers on top of themselves.

Also this was done in clone mode, which may show a little bit better input lag then what actually is going on. I don't know why your game mode settings aren't making it any faster. It is definitly faster on this E30.

Try to get your camera's shutter speed up, you can google it there are a few settings in most cameras that will increase it.

I am going to conclude however that the digital versus result of 66ms is much too high and there was a few guys around here talking about how his E30 was somehow different from others.
post #3098 of 4281 Old 10-19-2011, 11:35 AM

Ok I did the software update. It updated to version 1.2 and said that I had the latest version when I tried to update a second time. You said you had version 1.6? Are you sure it wasnt 1.2?

Anyways, I did my old test with the poor cellphone camera and online-stopwatch.com and am getting the exact same numbers: 33-34ms. I just played a round of call of duty black ops PC and the game feels slightly more responsive. I doubt this is due to the firmware update, but rather some video settings i changed (set frame buffer to 0, force vsync off). It is possible that my LCD display has 16ms less input lag then TOPACE's laptop, especially since my monitor XL2370 has been rated as having 0-8ms input lag. Then again we are using different tests. I need to find a digital camera with high shutter speed so that I can use the same test.
post #3099 of 4281 Old 10-19-2011, 02:59 PM

It is possible my laptop display has 16ms of input lag, but I really doubt it. There is not really any processing the display does except the bare minimum to show a picture.

You need to borrow a digital camera. A camera phone is going to have around 1/10 shutter speed, which means 6 frames are going to shoot by during the time it takes to create an image. To get an accurate result, the shutter speed needs to be faster then 1/60th of a second, to get the shot under the speed of a frame change.

It is version 1.20. Edited.

At least for now use the .exe in the link I provided earlier to get a better stopwatch.
post #3100 of 4281 Old 10-19-2011, 09:56 PM

@Sabresandiego and Top-Ace

I also recently purchased the Panasonic E30 and I've noticed quite a bit of backlight bleeding and clouding (non screen uniformity), do you guys see this on your sets?
post #3101 of 4281 Old 10-19-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan3000 View Post

@Sabresandiego and Top-Ace

I also recently purchased the Panasonic E30 and I've noticed quite a bit of backlight bleeding, do you guys see this on your sets?

I actually feel very lucky. I have seen pictures of sets with bad backlight bleeding and flashlight effects at the corners. I was pleasently surprised when I didnt see any of that except when I stood a steeper angle. You can see from my pictures above that it is not really an issue with mine.
post #3102 of 4281 Old 10-20-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

so yesterday I went down to my local BB to pick up the LG LK42450, yet to my suprise they didn't have the 42" OR the 37" for sale....The same deal happened at Future Shop while some guy was trying to sell me the LG 520 claiming that the 120hz feature would enhance the motion....Meanwhile I'm thinking wouldn't 'that' just make film look like Video and give it the soap operah effect? Either way i passed considering people on here have been saying the the LG 520 wasn't so great in the lag department. But what made it so appealing was that it was pure black 'design wise' and didn't have that awful looking Brown stripe that clearly rocked the LK450....I seriously don't like it, knowing me I'll probably find a way to cover it or take it off.lol

SO anyways, instead just because i wanted to test it out for input lag, i picked up the '32" LK450. If i were satisfied with the input lag and PQ i'd just order the 42" anyways which i could probably snag in a week or two once they were to get it in, but I think I'd rather just try and score it at Visions instead since i really need it now and waiting isn't exactly an option for me consideirng I've got a massive horror movie marathon 'and' some gaming to blast through for this halloween. B-)

Anyways, so i hooked the tiny little sucker up yesterday, along with my Wii via Component Cables and WOW, i was instantly suprised with how fantastic and responsive it felt. It felt Just as good as my 2 year old LG LH30 and THAT tv is regarded as one of thee best LCD's for gaming. I don't understand some of the naysayers. I've been gaming for years on a CRT, I've come across some pretty horrid HDTV displays(the most recent before this being the Samsung 42" D450 plasma, which was dissapointing)for gaming lag and the LK450 is flat out brilliant in this regard.

By the way i tested the lag out in Standard and in Cinema mode, 'not' game mode. I'm more than happy with the results. I swear it may seem even slightly 'better' than the LH30. I need to test it out some more today to make sure. The pointer controls worked nearly identicle if not identicle to my CRT. I tested out some Mega Man 9, Super Smash Bros, Splaterhouse 2(Genesis Virtual Console) ect ect and they worked amazingly well.

However, I'm still trying to get the PQ to look just as good as my LH30. Here's what I've sort of noticed so far. I think the brightness is on par, it's just hard to notice maybe because the display is a bit smaller, the colors look good, but I'm not sure if they're quite as good as the LH30's...The dynamic color mode doesn't seem as colorful or as big of a change compared to the LH30's. Again maybe it just seems like it's somewhat lacking considering the smaller size. Black levels are just as good, but for some reason the sharpness seems a bit rougher on this set....Or it just works differently.

Where is the EDGE enhancement mode? It seems like it's automaticaly turned on. Is there any way to find that option so i can make sure it's off? I couldn't seem to find it in the picture settings...

As for it being an ISP or VA pannel, i have no idea....Couldn't find any 'Y' in the product number, there was a D however. Guess I'll have to take a magnifying glass to the screen to find out. I did notice that the viewing angles seem pretty great however, so maybe that's an indication that it is infact an ISP panel. Anyways, i need to play around with it much more today before returning it and hopefully getting the 42" at visions.

As I said, the Input lag is phenomenal on this set....The PQ however, i still need to play around with! I'll post more impressions regarding the input lag later on through more games, be it retro, motion controlled for the Wii, the VC
(Nes, SNES, GEN) and PS3.

Also, i had my eye on the gorgeous(design wise) Sony 40" 1080p 60hz 'BX420'....I loved the design, but the BB rep told me to stay away from Sony considering the higher input lag.

I'd also rather go with the LG 42" 520 not just because of the 120hz, but because of the pure black design...But again, if the input lag is worse than the LK450 than I'll definitly pass.
post #3103 of 4281 Old 10-20-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 207
While it's great you are happy with the way your new HDTV feels when playing games, without testing with methods described in this thread, the opinion is way too subjective. The same is true for comments by some random store clerk.

What feels right to you may be horrible to others if it actually has more lag with some settings, ESPECIALLY since you admit to using Cinema mode. If possible, do a real input lag test on it so others can learn from your experiences with actual data.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #3104 of 4281 Old 10-20-2011, 12:01 PM

My friend is coming over on saturday and I will be able to do precise input lag test results then. On a sidenote, for anyone who is well versed in ergonomics and minimizing eye strain I have a few questions. I sit about 2-4 feet back from my 42 inch hdtv and use it as a computer monitor mounted on a wall just behind my desk. Ive noticed that my eyestrain and nausea from computer use is significantly reduced when using LED HDTV instead of an LED monitor as my computer screen. I am not sure exactly why, but it seems that because the screen is larger, my eyes do more moving around which is a more natural style for the eyes. The light from my LED monitor can make me nautious within 2 hours of use (I am particularly light sensitive to monitors lately because I overused computers for the last several months). The HDTV however does not make me feel nautious at all.

1. How can I reduce eyestrain and computer vision syndrome even further? The HDTV does not seem to cause the symptoms in me and my guess is that it has something to do with the distance I view it from (2-4 feet instead of 1-2feet for a monitor), HDTV size, HDTV has better viewing angles, etc...

2. I have noticed that natural sunlight helps protect me from CVS symptoms, as does exercise.

3. I am trying to figure out the best ambient lighting solution for when the sun goes down. Flourescent lights make me sick, even the ones touted as natural and healthy. I just bought an LED light with a 6000k color temperature, but it only outputs 450 lumens so the room remains dark. Things also look much bluer then natural and kind of ugly. Of interesting note is that the LED light does not bother me. I was considering putting this light underneath my TV to light up the wall sorrounding the TV, as I have heard this reduces eyestrain even further.

3. What color temperature should I use for my bedroom which is where I use my HDTV and computer. Should I use natural light around the 5000k-6500k range to match my HDTV (I am assuming HDTV is 6500k) or should I use the standard "warm" color temperature for bedrooms. I can buy "warm" LEDs also. I am staying away from flourouscent because they make me feel weird, and incandescent because they use alot of energy.
post #3105 of 4281 Old 10-20-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

I'd also rather go with the LG 42" 520 not just because of the 120hz, but because of the pure black design...But again, if the input lag is worse than the LK450 than I'll definitly pass.

I am looking to replace a 37" Westy as a monitor and just bought a 42lk520 as a bedroom TV. I love love love the 42lk520 as a TV; the 120hz motion didn't bother me at all after my eye adjusted to it. I haven't tried it as a PC monitor but certainly had my eye on a 37" 520/450 as a replacement, which is not easy to do given the back and forth in this thread. One note, which was why I really made this post in the first place: the 42lk520 I have has a red molding stripe around the outside that was completely invisible on the webpage but totally unavoidable in person. Definitely see it in person before buying it if a pure black design is important to you.
post #3106 of 4281 Old 10-21-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the retro-ised brown stripe at the bottom of the LK450 isn't even noticable during the day, and I'm actually kind of digging it in as it brings back a bit of Brown wooden TV nostalgia back from the late 80's during my awesome Nintendo NES gaming days. lol

Although, i still would prefer pure black. it seems like it's just a sticker underneither the casing...Maybes there's a way i can take it off once i get the 42" display.

Anyways, I'm _loving_ this tv for gaming. The blacks are pretty solid, the color is great once you're in expert mode fiddling around with all of the awesome controls LG gives you, the image is ultra crisp and clear, the image iself is extremely bright, but it's the motion that's driving me a bit nutty when watching movies. I can kind of tolerate it for gaming, but when watching movies it kind of degrades the experience....

It makes me yern for a plasma that's for sure for movies. But then if i got a 42" panny 1080p plasma the brightness just wouldn't be on par, and I'd be guessing that the input lag woulld be worse and i wouldn't get a crisp/clean sharp image like i would with an LCD....for movies that's fine, but for gaming i want my image to be super sharp and clean.

As for the LK450's input lag, again i have no way to properly test it like a lot of the guys do on this site, but i dont care. Because i know what I'm talking about. I'm extremely sensitive to lag. On the plasma forum, they were raving about how solid the Samsung 43" D450 plasma's input lag wise, as soon as i fired it up and threw it on game mode i was instantly dissapointed. It renders retro side scrollers almost unplayable as it adds a bit of weight and this sluggishness feeling to your character. it's not bad, but it's worse than my older LH30 that's for sure.

The LK450 in game mode is practically the same in any other mode, i think it's extremely hard to tell the difference between it's game mode and any other of it's modes. Anyways, since game mode doesn't give you really anything to tinker with PQ wise and because i think it actually automaticaly puts the edge enhancement on it's a big turn off for me.
The LK450 seems like 1-2 frames of lag....it cant be anymore than 20ms. i remember somebody posting in the LG forum that it was exactly the same as last years D series AND the LH30 series, while others were saying it's worse?....crazyness i tell you. People were also getting multiple answers for their lag testing....it seems like it's not even accurate half the time. but for me it seems identicle to my CRT, like INCREDIBLY close if not noticable at all...It's pretty amazing actually.

My advice is to go check it out for yourself. i was blown away by it as it was just as good if not better than my older 1080p LG LH30.

Anyways, curse the motion handling. Bleck! Another thing which is a bit funny, is that my older CRT let off this awesome glow to my place whenever the screen would fill with blue, my white shag rug would totaly brighten up.lol With my LK450 nothing really happens, maybe it's the fluoercent back light. Do plasma's and CRT's share the same type of lighting/bulb?
post #3107 of 4281 Old 10-22-2011, 02:49 PM

My friend brought over his high speed camera, and I got some concrete input lag results for the Panasonic Viera TC-L42E30. His camera has a shutter speed of up to 1/4000 but I believe we used 1/2000 for most of the pics. The comparison monitor used is the Samsung XL2370 which has been rated as having 0-8ms input lag by digitalversus. The lag on this Panasonic HDTV is very low and averaged to about 1.5 frames of lag, about 25ms as compared to the computer monitor. There were several instances of 0-10ms input lag, and just a few instances of 40ms input lag which could easily be the result of 2 consecutive 20ms updates by the stopwatch and so still be in the 2frames range. What this means to me is that the TV normally has only 1-2 frames of lag, but can appear to have 3 frames of lag on a rare occassion if caught by a highspeed camera while the tv or monitor is midscan. The TV may have a maximum input lag of 3 frames if the comparison monitor occasionally has 1 frame of lag. If we are to assume an 8ms lag on the computer monitor, that puts the Panasonic Vierra TC-L42E30 right at 33ms on average, which is 2 frames of lag on a 60hz television. That is very good! I used 3 different stopwatches. The primary one I used, with the green color is the one designed to test input lag by flatpanelsdk and it appears to update itself every 10-20ms depending on the frame (either 10ms or 20ms increments), whereas the second stopwatch seems to only update in 33ms increments. The final stopwatch only seems to update every 58ms, and is therefore too inaccurate.

These tests were performed in game mode. I did not test non-game mode.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is the primary stopwatch I used, and appears to update itself in 10ms or 20ms increments. The most common delay I found was 20ms according to this stopwatch, with 10ms being the second most common. This first picture is taken with 1/200 shutter speed and so is better lit, the following pictures were taken at 1/2000 shutter speed and so they are darker and you can occasionally see the monitor in the process of scanning (half the screen looks dark).

The above image shows a 60ms input lag, however you can see that the hdtv was in the process of scanning in to 40ms, which means this lag still represents about 2 frames of lag

This stopwatch appears to only have 33ms increments, with occasional 34 ms increments.

This is the poor stopwatch, which either shows 0ms delays or 58ms delays.

Overall I took about 50 photos, primarily using the most accurate stopwatch which is the one in green, which appears to update every 10ms-20ms. The most common input lag seen by far was 20ms, the highest seen was 40ms although there was one outlier of 60ms which was in the process of updating itself, and the minimum input lag was 0ms. Overall I rate this TV as having somewhere in the range of 1-2 frames of input lag on average, making it exceptionally fast for an hdtv.
post #3108 of 4281 Old 10-22-2011, 05:58 PM

Good testing there Sabresandiego. I don't think anyone is going to find any better input lag for an LCD TV. Still not as fast as we may like it, but it will get the job done. There may be a couple panasonic plasmas that are a bit faster, but if they are, its not by much. I didn't really wan't a plasma though for a variety of reasons.
post #3109 of 4281 Old 10-23-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Ace View Post

Summary of Results:
The stop watch in game mode shows 0 to 1 frame of input lag. 0-16ms

The stop watch in standard mode shows two frames of lag around 32ms.

The SMTT shows anywhere form 15-19ms of input lag very consistently. Remember to read the SMTT you take the highest number on each display and compare them. Also It can be hard to read some of the numbers. SMTT is fast enough that pixel response time plays a part in trying to read it. I took the highest number that started to come through, where the old one might not necessarily be gone yet.

I will try to do the SMTT again using 1/200 shutter speed.

Note: Using the clone method can be off because the laptop display might add a little bit of lag, making the two results closer together. Even so, these numbers will still give you a good idea.

Note 2: The TV (American VIERA TC-L42E30) is updated with the latest firmware v1.20. After putting the input on Game Mode, the TV was shut off and turned back on. The stopwatch program an installed .exe from http://tft.vanity.dk/. The smtt high accuracy stopwatch was from http://translate.google.com/translat...&ie=iso-8859-1 cost 5 Euros

Edit: oops I just realised I cut the tops off some of my SMTT pictures, I will try to do that test again for sure now.

what is the lag of the laptop display?
post #3110 of 4281 Old 10-23-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresandiego View Post

Overall I took about 50 photos, primarily using the most accurate stopwatch which is the one in green, which appears to update every 10ms-20ms. The most common input lag seen by far was 20ms, the highest seen was 40ms although there was one outlier of 60ms which was in the process of updating itself, and the minimum input lag was 0ms. Overall I rate this TV as having somewhere in the range of 1-2 frames of input lag on average, making it exceptionally fast for an hdtv.

i tested a 55" xbr55hx929 and came in at about 28-30ms of lag in game mode so its about the same as panny nice
post #3111 of 4281 Old 10-23-2011, 12:19 PM

Looks like the laptop display has around 1 frame of lag.
post #3112 of 4281 Old 10-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Interesting and very inexpensive test candidate(s), the 32" Westinghouse VR-3225 and the 40" version VR-4025.

Apparently it has 4:4:4 chroma subsampling using DVI-to-HDMI and VGA, now it's a question of input lag and pixel refresh. It also accepts 1080P over VGA so that's a second chance at some low input lag numbers.

Figured i would put it out there in case anyone was feeling adventurous, the price is certainly low enough from a large retailer whose name begins with a "W" (google).

Unfortunately it would be around 2 months before i can "upgrade" my Panny L32S1 to a 40" so it would be a while before i could be the guinea pig
post #3113 of 4281 Old 10-24-2011, 08:10 PM

Well I am playing some battlefield 3 today on my new screen, and even though I measured the lag as only being about 2 frames behind my computer monitor, I can definitely feel the difference while playing. It seems even the fastest HDTV's on the market have input lag that is too high for competetive first person shooters. I think only 0-1 frames of lag is acceptable for this type of game in a competetive scenario. That being said, the enjoyment of this game on a 42" screen with high quality imaging, and relatively low input lag is amazing. The TC-L42E30 is an excellent TV.
post #3114 of 4281 Old 10-27-2011, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, based on further testing(sounded like such a dweeb for a second.lol) it seems like the LG LK450 does suffer from a bit of input lag when playing 'PS3' games that is.

However on the Wii, it's incredibly hard to notice, it's practically CRT-perfect.
On the PS3, that's not the case. it still works well i guess, but it's not up to snuff when compared to playing games(be it Wii, WiiWare or the Virtual Console, basically everything) on the Wii. I tested *Mega Man 9*(for ex) on both consoles, and the lag was immediatly noticable on the PS3, while on the Wii I didn't notice any lag whatsoever. The Lag seems tolerable for PS3 games, it still faired better than the Samsung PND450 Plasma that i toyed around with.

I'm guessing this all has to do with the TV's video processing, so in the PS3's case it has to pump out HD visuals and because of that it takes a hit performance wise. bummer i guess. But I rarely play games on my PS3 anyways, since I'm a massive nintendo nut and a huge retro gamer. On another note, Visions got in my LG '42'LK450, so I'll be taking my 32" back to BB tomorrow and scoring the 42", pretty stoked!
post #3115 of 4281 Old 10-28-2011, 04:41 AM

First I'd like Sabresandiego for such thorough testing. I think I'm going to get the E30, but is there any info on how it supports 4:4:4? Not sure if that's the right terminology, still new to this, but since I'll be using this as a pc gaming monitor I hear that's an important feature.
post #3116 of 4281 Old 10-28-2011, 06:11 AM

Yes 4:4:4 pixel format is very important if you want to use the Tv has a Pc monitor
post #3117 of 4281 Old 10-28-2011, 09:08 AM

Anyone who is looking at the Panasonic TC-L42E30 needs to check out Amazon today. Great price on it today only. I bought one to replace my Samsung 52" that is a few years old as my "gaming" TV, and will put the Samsung in my living room as my "TV and Movie" TV.

It will be delivered tomorrow...hope the 0-2 frame tests in this thread are accurate for mine!
post #3118 of 4281 Old 10-28-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalas View Post

Anyone who is looking at the Panasonic TC-L42E30 needs to check out Amazon today. Great price on it today only. I bought one to replace my Samsung 52" that is a few years old as my "gaming" TV, and will put the Samsung in my living room as my "TV and Movie" TV.

It will be delivered tomorrow...hope the 0-2 frame tests in this thread are accurate for mine!

Literally just ordered mine a few seconds ago and came back here to see if anyone answered about it supporting 4:4:4. Still haven't found an answer, but it gets a lot of praise and good reviews so I went with it. I didn't mention the promo on purpose though since I didn't want more people to order it before I could :P
post #3119 of 4281 Old 10-28-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
pretty sure it does not support 4:4:4

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #3120 of 4281 Old 10-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1eX View Post

Yes 4:4:4 pixel format is very important if you want to use the Tv has a Pc monitor

But also remember that lack of 4:4:4 only affects certain colored text, usually just red + blue and occasionally green. There are always compromises to be made when selecting a TV to use as a monitor and personally i sacrificed 4:4:4 (red + blue text) when i selected my Panny L32S1.

4:4:4 chroma subsampling is just one of several important criteria to consider.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl 55ex500 Series 55 Inch Lcd Tv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page