Input lag wars!, post your input lag results of your LCD display here for reference - Page 146 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 21Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2015, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,697
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted TheBeat View Post
Nice, i can get it for 150€=105Pounds. I'll only use it for my ps4 and netflix.
Is that price good?
I believe that's around $160 USD, which seems like an excellent price for a 2013 Sony 32" 1080p TV. It was $800 USD when released.

Sony TVs have very good to excellent PQ, and it should play well with your PS4.
Ted TheBeat likes this.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
DaverJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-22-2015, 09:07 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I believe that's around $160 USD, which seems like an excellent price for a 2013 Sony 32" 1080p TV. It was $800 USD when released.

Sony TVs have very good to excellent PQ, and it should play well with your PS4.
Thank you for your help
DaverJ likes this.
Ted TheBeat is offline  
Old 11-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Member
 
Jeff Merheb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I am interested to know what are the input lag of:
-LG 43LF540 (5400 for US I think)
-Toshiba 40L5450
-LG 43UF680

I used a 40F6400 for 1.5 year with heavy gaming without problem (43ms) but I think slower than that will be a slow
Jeff Merheb is offline  
Old 12-16-2015, 10:08 AM
Member
 
beerninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vista, CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
If anyone here is going to CES in January and wants to borrow my input lag tester (deposit will be required) shoot me a pm. I'm in san diego. Or better yet if you are working a booth and have extra tickets and you are willing to claim that I am an employee of your business so I can get in that would be even better
beerninja is offline  
Old 12-16-2015, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
HeadRusch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 10,097
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerninja View Post
If anyone here is going to CES in January and wants to borrow my input lag tester (deposit will be required) shoot me a pm. I'm in san diego. Or better yet if you are working a booth and have extra tickets and you are willing to claim that I am an employee of your business so I can get in that would be even better
.......pretty sure the chances of you walking up to a manufacturers booth with 'some box' and asking to plug it in to their prototype or low-production-run demo sets to 'take readings on lag to post to the internet' will be met with some resistance.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

HeadRusch is offline  
Old 12-21-2015, 01:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Got a 65 inch Sony x850c to a constant 15 - 17 ms input lag.

Picture here http://imgur.com/AIZZqRo

For argument sake, another picture here http://imgur.com/hL4RcO5

Here's how: Sony 65 x850c lag input test. http://imgur.com/gallery/DnjRF
Coltsbro84 is online now  
Old 12-22-2015, 05:00 AM
Newbie
 
amisfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsbro84 View Post
Got a 65 inch Sony x850c to a constant 15 - 17 ms input lag.

Picture here http://imgur.com/AIZZqRo

For argument sake, another picture here http://imgur.com/hL4RcO5

Here's how: Sony 65 x850c lag input test. http://imgur.com/gallery/DnjRF
Are you testing your TV against an LCD laptop? It may have 15-17 ms input lag against that, but what is the input lag of the device you are testing against? You do realize that you're supposed to test your TV against a no input lag device in order to determine its true input lag right? That means you should be testing your TV against a CRT display using a program like that. Not another LCD display. Unless that LCD display has 0 input lag, which I seriously doubt. So I doubt your 65 inch TV has 15-16 ms input lag compared to a 0 input lag display. http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Last edited by amisfit; 12-22-2015 at 05:09 AM.
amisfit is offline  
Old 12-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know the input lag for the philips 32pht4009/12 ? Thanks.
montajj is offline  
Old 12-27-2015, 09:43 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just tested the 32" Emerson LF320EM5F TV I got last year and I'm actually shocked at the results, after the few places I read about saying that Emerson TVs had terrible lag. I turned off what few options were available in the menus that I thought would have anything to do with input lag. Resolution was set to 1366x768 @60Hz.

I tested against a TPV D1770 PC CRT hooked to my laptop via VGA, with the Emerson hooked up using the HDMI cable that came with my Wii U. It appears this thing has a sub-1-frame delay at this point. Every picture I took showed almost identical images on both displays, with the CRT being just a tiny bit ahead. I turned down the brightness on the displays so I could get a better picture with less glare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Emerson_LF320EM5F_vs_CRT_lagtest.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1144434  
Questwizard is offline  
Old 12-28-2015, 04:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by amisfit View Post
Are you testing your TV against an LCD laptop? It may have 15-17 ms input lag against that, but what is the input lag of the device you are testing against? You do realize that you're supposed to test your TV against a no input lag device in order to determine its true input lag right? That means you should be testing your TV against a CRT display using a program like that. Not another LCD display. Unless that LCD display has 0 input lag, which I seriously doubt. So I doubt your 65 inch TV has 15-16 ms input lag compared to a 0 input lag display. http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/
yeah this looks bogus

15ms lag compared to the rtings measurement of 39? i dont think so
dargor42 is offline  
Old 12-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone have any results for LG's 60UF7300? I'm not finding much information on it.
spazzyfry123 is offline  
Old 12-28-2015, 08:53 PM
Newbie
 
NCJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony 40W600B Running against Asus VG248QE

This is a poor quality video I made strictly for my own input lag comparison. The Asus is on top, the Sony on the bottom. If you make the video full screen and good quality you can pause at various times and see the Asus running 30-40ms faster than the Sony. This was expected; the Asus is advertised to have an input lag of 1-2 seconds and is a monitor. The Sony is a TV. The Sony is running in game mode. Later I found Game Mode: Other, and disabled some more settings. The average in this video shows the Sony 600B clocking in at about 33ms input lag, however other testers have reported 31, and 28ms. Probably using the other game mode. I hope you find this useful.

This was not intended to compare the two. I knew there would be no comparison, but it does show that for a $399 TV, the Sony isn't bad.

Some pauses won't let you legibly read the small numbers, keep trying. I never intended to share this when I made it, sorry

Bottom Line: Sony 40W600B runs an average of 33ms slower than Asus VG24QE. However I think I could have squeezed a few more ms out of the Sony.

The site won't let me post the video link, but if you are savvy enough to care about input lag, you probably know where to copy paste the following:
watch?v=eWKZCC8sde0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ilw.png
Views:	56
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	1148298  

Last edited by NCJB; 12-28-2015 at 09:00 PM.
NCJB is offline  
Old 12-30-2015, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Savatage316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So are the ju7100s some of the best you're gonna get currently for gaming? Just curious, I'm wanting a set close to 80 as I can get that's around 3 to 4k, that will be great for gaming.

What worries me is in coming from a Mitsubishi 82 840 and not sure if the input lag on these types of sets would be super noticeable for me since my mits does so awesome with input lag.
Savatage316 is offline  
Old 01-02-2016, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
So are the ju7100s some of the best you're gonna get currently for gaming? Just curious, I'm wanting a set close to 80 as I can get that's around 3 to 4k, that will be great for gaming.

What worries me is in coming from a Mitsubishi 82 840 and not sure if the input lag on these types of sets would be super noticeable for me since my mits does so awesome with input lag.
The Vizio M series is rated below 20ms of input lag. The Samsung JU7100 is in the 26ms range, the JU7500 is in the 21ms range. What is the input lag rating on your current TV?
cmdrdredd is offline  
Old 01-02-2016, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Savatage316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Yea interesting you pointing that out because I didn't notice that, and mainly because when you look at rtings. Com for input lag snd compare the ju7100 is rated better for gaming input lag but as you said the M series is under 20...why then is the ju7100 rated better if it doesn't refresh as fast?

My set is a Mitsubishi 840 model, which is the advantages of dlp still, I'm not sure what their refresh rates are but I get like zero lag... Never noticed it once. So that's why I worry if lcd wouod introduce me to input lag.
Savatage316 is offline  
Old 01-02-2016, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
Yea interesting you pointing that out because I didn't notice that, and mainly because when you look at rtings. Com for input lag snd compare the ju7100 is rated better for gaming input lag but as you said the M series is under 20...why then is the ju7100 rated better if it doesn't refresh as fast?

My set is a Mitsubishi 840 model, which is the advantages of dlp still, I'm not sure what their refresh rates are but I get like zero lag... Never noticed it once. So that's why I worry if lcd wouod introduce me to input lag.
I don't think you'll notice 20ms worth of lag. When you move up to 30+ then maybe. rtings takes motion blur into account for their gaming score, not just pure input lag.
cmdrdredd is offline  
Old 01-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Savatage316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I don't think you'll notice 20ms worth of lag. When you move up to 30+ then maybe. rtings takes motion blur into account for their gaming score, not just pure input lag.
Oh I know, but isn't the response time more or less in part responsible for motion blur as well? Was just thinking that blur was party in due to the refresh rate not being able to keep up.

I play alot of shooters as well so that's why I'm also a bit worried to drop that cash, on my 82 currently I roll along just fine.

It's why I wish I could find some more reap world experience around here from those who really game a ton like I do.

Part of me feels that maybe these sets while nice aren't quite yet worth the bump up, and maybe seeing what 2016 brings for new models.
Savatage316 is offline  
Old 01-02-2016, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
Oh I know, but isn't the response time more or less in part responsible for motion blur as well? Was just thinking that blur was party in due to the refresh rate not being able to keep up.

I play alot of shooters as well so that's why I'm also a bit worried to drop that cash, on my 82 currently I roll along just fine.

It's why I wish I could find some more reap world experience around here from those who really game a ton like I do.

Part of me feels that maybe these sets while nice aren't quite yet worth the bump up, and maybe seeing what 2016 brings for new models.
Well, the lag and blur are two different things. OLED TVs have no motion blur but have 50ms of input lag for example. Low lag doesn't mean low blur.

I will say this. I bought my previous TV a Sony KDL55W900A with gaming in mind. It had 18ms of input lag. I did not notice it. I now use a Samsung 55JS9000 for gaming and I notice no difference even though it has about 5ms higher input lag. I cannot perceive the difference. My PC monitor is a Yamakasi Q270 Catleap which is known to have extremely low lag due to the lack of processing and electronic controls. I cannot notice the difference between my TV and my monitor. I play lots of games including shooters and fighting games which are even more sensitive to input lag than FPS games. As long as the TV is in game mode it's as fast as anything I've used. If you can wait, then wait. I didn't want to wait because I wanted to take advantage of UHD and HDR right now and I do not regret it.
DaverJ likes this.

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 01-02-2016 at 04:39 PM.
cmdrdredd is offline  
Old 01-02-2016, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Savatage316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Well, the lag and blur are two different things. OLED TVs have no motion blur but have 50ms of input lag for example. Low lag doesn't mean low blur.

I will say this. I bought my previous TV a Sony KDL55W900A with gaming in mind. It had 18ms of input lag. I did not notice it. I now use a Samsung 55JS9000 for gaming and I notice no difference even though it has about 5ms higher input lag. I cannot perceive the difference. My PC monitor is a Yamakasi Q270 Catleap which is known to have extremely low lag due to the lack of processing and electronic controls. I cannot notice the difference between my TV and my monitor. I play lots of games including shooters and fighting games which are even more sensitive to input lag than FPS games. As long as the TV is in game mode it's as fast as anything I've used. If you can wait, then wait. I didn't want to wait because I wanted to take advantage of UHD and HDR right now and I do not regret it.
Well that's good to hear then. Yea that's the thing, I think I can wait but have that itch to buy one, bought my 82 in January of 2012 and I love it, but I get the itch to buy.

If you had what i currently have, Mitsubishi 82 840, would you hold or would you be itching to get into using lcds?
Savatage316 is offline  
Old 01-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
Well that's good to hear then. Yea that's the thing, I think I can wait but have that itch to buy one, bought my 82 in January of 2012 and I love it, but I get the itch to buy.

If you had what i currently have, Mitsubishi 82 840, would you hold or would you be itching to get into using lcds?
I'd wait to see what is announced this coming week at CES. Then by late summer we should start seeing first reviews come out and I'm sure someone will do some input lag testing on 2016 TV models. If nothing else you could find a better deal on a 2015 model when 2016 models start arriving.
cmdrdredd is offline  
Old 01-14-2016, 05:23 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello people of avs, I just registered so that I can talk ask around a few things...

I am looking to buy a 4k TV to play call of duty mostly on my PS4 but also watch movies etc.
So the main thing I am searching for is the input lag. By my research I ended up to these models of Samsung
the 60JU6800, 55JU7000 and 55JU7500 (thats a curved one).
I think all these have an input bellow 30ms, actually its close to 20ms.
Any ideas for my final choice? Any other recommendations? Anything else I should worry about? Should I wait for the 2016 models? Are the JS models of Samsung better than the JU? Hope I get some of the above answered.

THank you very much!
Roberto Karabetian is offline  
Old 01-17-2016, 04:32 AM
Senior Member
 
mithras1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Karabetian View Post
Hello people of avs, I just registered so that I can talk ask around a few things...

I am looking to buy a 4k TV to play call of duty mostly on my PS4 but also watch movies etc.
So the main thing I am searching for is the input lag. By my research I ended up to these models of Samsung
the 60JU6800, 55JU7000 and 55JU7500 (thats a curved one).
I think all these have an input bellow 30ms, actually its close to 20ms.
Any ideas for my final choice? Any other recommendations? Anything else I should worry about? Should I wait for the 2016 models? Are the JS models of Samsung better than the JU? Hope I get some of the above answered.

THank you very much!
Your post is pretty irrelevant to this thread but since it has practically turned into a buying enquiries anyway: The UE60JU6800 = the UN60JS7000 so you could say it is a JS model since it does have 'Nanocrystal'. The JU7000/7500 are 100Hz models but this is irrelevant to (console) gaming since the motion interpolation adds a lot of lag. So the JU6800 would seem a solid choice since with the nanocrystal it can deliver a wider colourspace which you could use to make the games look more lively (although when calibrated to rec709 you have no use for the wider colourspace). Curve is only interesting if you sit up close ...
DaverJ likes this.
mithras1 is offline  
Old 01-25-2016, 10:19 AM
Member
 
romulux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Vizio E32-C1 and got great response times through the Wii U test, exactly equal to the gamepad at just two frames.


Unfortunately, the TV itself is a bit of a bummer. It cuts a few rows of pixels off on all sides and had an off-center picture that had to be adjusted, has flickering when the backlight is at 0, and generally has off color and a lot of blue in its grays. The only other competitor for a 32" gaming set was the LG 32LF5600, but reviewers unanimously trashed it for having terrible blacks/contrast and favored the Vizio. The Vizio does have great black levels and very low blur, but I find myself missing the perfect color and generally better technical quality (ie, not missing edges of the screen) on LG's IPS displays. It's a tough call.
romulux is offline  
Old 01-27-2016, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
stuart628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Almost Heaven West Virginia
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 31
anyone do any testing to a ju7090 samsung? I am curious about "official" numbers...would it be the same as a ju7100>
stuart628 is offline  
Old Today, 04:08 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help deciding on replacement for 50 inch plasma

1. Budget: $2000 or less
2. Seating distance: head-to-screen = ~ 8.5 ft
3. Size/placement limitations: 55 inch, but may be able to fit a 65 inch. Seating is directly in front of TV.
4. Uses and sources: Streaming - Hulu, Netflix, Amazon. Cable (Time Warner) - mainly sports (soccer and basketball) but do DVR some HD shows. Light gaming on PS4.
5. Room lighting: Medium to moderately dark (Only window is sliding glass door to the rear and perpendicular to the seating area)

I'm looking to replace my 50 inch plasma and after not really having kept up with TV technology in the last few years I am having some trouble making a decision. I guess the first question is 4K vs 1080p. I really don't have a need for or really care about 4K at this time, but it seems like most of the better TVs out now are 4K . As I would like this to last as my main TV for at least 4-5 years I think it probably makes sense to go ahead with a 4K TV, but I could be persuaded otherwise. My main concern with 4K is the upscaling of non-4K content. I don't really watch any SD sources, but know that streaming can drop into that range.

I had narrowed down my list to the following - Samsung UN55JS8500, Samsung UNJU7500, Sony XBR55X810C, and Sony XBR55X850C. But I'm not tied to these at all and welcome any advice or suggestions on a good choice for my scenario.

Thanks!
tpoewll572 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl 55ex500 Series 55 Inch Lcd Tv Black
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off