Input lag wars!, post your input lag results of your LCD display here for reference - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 4275 Old 03-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KVW View Post

Sony 40" v4100 VS Samsung 40" A750

Sammy AMP on high, Sony MotionFlow on High, No Dynamic contrast, No black level adjustments, no Cinemotion/Film Mode, All conneted via DVI/HDMI.

Just wanted to be clear, but the only difference between these two sets of pictures is which TV was connected to which input on your video card? (in other words, this is something people should probably do as well )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 4275 Old 03-22-2009, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicq View Post

Just wanted to be clear, but the only difference between these two sets of pictures is which TV was connected to which input on your video card? (in other words, this is something people should probably do as well )

Yeah it is, Me and KVW have been talking about it on msn

oddly enough I tried the same thing with my video card and saw no difference

considering that his results are much more consistent than mine I'm really thinking this POS kodak camera is a major part of the problem i'm having getting consistent results in my tests any my results vary by more than 1 frame as well so that must be it

Edit: he is using a GForce 260, i'm using GForce 8800 GT so it could also be video card specific but that is unlikely as they are the same main type and use the same drivers as well who knows

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #33 of 4275 Old 03-23-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Summaries/updates please guys.
post #34 of 4275 Old 03-23-2009, 10:00 AM
KVW

Quote:

Yah, I retract my previous once-said-statement that their's isn't any difference between switching cables (primary vs secondary display). This makes testing even more time consuming. But the difference is only by roughly half a frame. Still, it's disturbing none the less because I'm kinda tired of doing these tests. I just want to find the one tv set that fits my needs at this point. I didn't even bother opening up the 42pz85u plasma I rented last night. After reading up on the plasma forums last night, it's just too impractical to use as a full time PC monitor. sigh... I might just keep this over-price sammy (a750).

Your LCD lags. Learn about input lag and be disenchanted by your expensive LCD set.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag
post #35 of 4275 Old 03-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

I actually just redid the test using a 60fps video I made since I thought video players are already pretty well optimized for timing and they should honor vsync and all that... and I get the same results as the lagom timer. Again, I have a Samsung 46A550, this is testing in 1080p, normal mode. Here's a few examples:

Image 1: 1118 - 1116 = 2
Image 2: 313 - 310 = 3
Image 3: 702 - 699 = 3
Image 4: 1116 - 1114 = 2

These are frame numbers, so each frame is 1/60s = 16.67ms. There looks to be a 2-3 frame delay, which matches up with the previous tests I did. My own feeling is that all the timers have flaws, but the lagom timer is probably the best one to use because you don't get lulled into trying to make your measurements more precise than they can be.

I also tried switching inputs but didn't see any noticeable difference either -- I'm using an ATI Radeon 2600XT.

Here's my own summary on things:
1) any test we do is subject to some variation, probably on the order of a frame (16ms or so), so differences less than that are probably not significant
2) some video cards may treat the outputs differently, so it'd be a good idea to swap inputs if possible

Anyway, time to go back to enjoying my TV instead of endlessly testing it .
post #36 of 4275 Old 03-23-2009, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

haha yeah nice work on the video, I agree that if you are doing it correctly your results should not vary by more than 1 frame (16ms)

it is interesting though that a A550 that does not have 120hz or alot of the extra processing that they a6,7,850's have is slower than them according to the a650 lag thread I would really love to see one tested with the lagom timer vs a CRT if anyone has one that could do it.

i'm also glad to see that the A550 has the same amount of lag as my sony 32xbr6 becuase when i was buying my TV my only other real option was the A550 and i went with the sony because it was cheaper! and had a better picture imo

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #37 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cross posting KVW's results of a comparison of lag between a samsung A750 and the new B650

these results are ONLY a show of how much slower the new B650 is than the A750 these are not accurate total lag numbers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVW View Post

For some time now I've been in dire search for a display that can be a PC monitor for gaming/web-browsing and still be able to sit back and enjoy a movie in a big screen fashion. So factors that are important to me are:

a) Picture quality (of course this is first right)
b) Motion smoothing (because i'm extra sensitive to low FPS - I actually like SOE)
c) Low input lag (for the online twitch games)
d) 40-42" (once you use a huge screen for a PC, you can't go back)
e) Windows text quality (hard to live with fuzzy text)

Probably in that order although they all weigh heavily in my decision making.

Now after going through several displays (through the help of Fry's/Best Buy return policy), from Samsung, Sony, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Toshiba and even Hitachi , I've narrowed to two Samsungs. Now mind you, this isn't because they are the best displays out there, not by any means. Just that they seem to be close enough to what I'm looking for and frankly, I'm getting pretty tired of the endless searching, returning and testing.

Now ever since I got the B650, I must admit that I was becoming attached to it, despite its ugly chin design (what were they thinking). Its whites are just a tad whiter than the a750, the blacks a bit more black. There's just a bit more POP to the picture, perhaps because of slightly better contrast. Note the words, 'just a bit more' - we're not taking a huge difference here! Both have the lovely gloss screen, although the b650 does suffer from slight flash lighting from all four corners, it makes up for it with its ability to have a darker overall black. I was also liking the new customizable AMP settings. I thought for sure the b650 was going to be my keeper. That was until... I did the lag tests.

Yes, that's right folks. I'm sad to report, It looks as though Samsung has made their displays SLOWER this year than last.

Before I show you my screenshots, Let me first explain why I post primary vs. secondary screenshots. It's because, at least in my setup, it makes a difference. The Primary display (in clone mode) throughout all my testing always seems to have nearly a frame advantage (about 16ms). So always take note of that when you see my screenshots! The primary display has a slight advantage in speed. So if the primary is losing to a secondary, then you KNOW it's bad!

Without further ado, here are the numbers (B650 on left, A750 on right on ALL pics!):

Samsung b650 hdmi1 AMP sliders maxed vs Samsung a750 AMP on High: Both no Dynamic contrast or black enhancements - b650 primary

Samsung b650 hdmi1 AMP sliders maxed vs Samsung a750 AMP on High: Both no Dynamic contrast or black enhancements - a750 primary

Samsung b650 Hdmi1 named "DVI PC" vs Samsung a750 HDMI2-PC - b650 primary

Samsung b650 Hdmi1 named "DVI PC" vs Samsung a750 HDMI2-PC - a750 primary

Samsung b650 hdmi1 named "HDMI1-PC" vs Samsung a750 named HDMI2-PC - b650 primary

Samsung b650 hdmi1 "Game Mode" vs Samsung a750 HDMI2-PC - b650 primary

Samsung b650 VGA Mode vs Samsung a750 HDMI2-PC - b650 primary

So it looks as though I'll be returning the b650. I just can't in good conscious choose the b650 over the a750 knowing the PQ is only slightly better but at a cost to input latency in every mode. Perhaps to some of you guys however, it may be worth it. Also, I should note that the b650 would cost me $150 buxs more than the a750.

BTW just so everyone knows, EVERY panel i lag tested these past few months was ALWAYS behind my GF's panny 32lz800 as far as lag, even a samsung in VGA or HDMI2-PC mode. As far as I'm concerned it IS the lag king. Now if only Panny would make them in larger sizes with 120hz.

post #38 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

Cross posting KVW's results of a comparison of lag between a samsung A750 and the new B650

these results are ONLY a show of how much slower the new B650 is than the A750 these are not accurate total lag numbers!!

$1,000,000,000 video processor in action.
post #39 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

$1,000,000,000 video processor in action.

yep more video processing = more lag

post #40 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 05:35 PM

Liked: 14
I bet you wouldn't be able to even tell a difference between lag in an A750 vs a B650 if you didn't have numbers. Not to mention that beings the testing methods are flawed... all of this means nothing.
post #41 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 06:20 PM
KVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r View Post

I bet you wouldn't be able to even tell a difference between lag in an A750 vs a B650 if you didn't have numbers. Not to mention that beings the testing methods are flawed... all of this means nothing.

LOL yes yes, it's all nothing! why even try anymore... We should all just accept whatever and let the chips fall where they may right?

Right. Have fun with that...

Edit: Sorry don't mean to come off as a jerk but whether or not there is variance in this measurement, there IS repeatability. And with repeatability, that means it IS still an affective form of measurement. Period. Now whether you can feel the difference of a frame or 2 is entirely up to the individual. Sure it's nitpicky but that's why we're here for right? Obviously, if we come to an AVS forum and actively post, we're all are not the general joe-blow who walks in to a store without any knowledge of what he's buying. We are enthusiast. And minor details, such as input lag, matter to us.

Your LCD lags. Learn about input lag and be disenchanted by your expensive LCD set.
post #42 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Question for all of you guys running these timed tests through clone mode to detect latency: Have any of you actually tried playing an actual game? For example, a twitch based game like Street Fighter IV? Because tonight I turned the game on, went into training mode that displays input and kept switching between gaming mode/PC mode/standard HDMI and I found no tangible difference. As soon as I'd press a key on the controller in any of these modes, the action would be immediately displayed on the screen. I had no trouble executing combo moves in training mode so do you guys think maybe this whole lag input issue is blown out of proportion? Unless all of you on AVS are superstar twitch game players, I really doubt you will notice any input lag while gaming. Just my two cents...
post #43 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150Joker View Post

so do you guys think maybe this whole lag input issue is blown out of proportion?

YES!!!
But, I will say this: I think some people (very few) ARE sensitive to 'input lag'. For them it's a legitimate concern.
For the other 99% of gamers, it's not a big deal. It's just something to obsess about on the AVS forums.

Quote:
Unless all of you on AVS are superstar twitch game players, I really doubt you will notice any input lag while gaming. Just my two cents...

Agreed.
I'm an avid gamer. I hooked up my 360 to my Sony 52W4100 and didn't notice ANY lag.
If anyone's that worried, get a CRT.

My gallery

XBL: A CLAN OF ONE
PSN: A_CLAN_OF_ONE
post #44 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 08:46 PM
KVW

Quote:

Question for all of you guys running these timed tests through clone mode to detect latency: Have any of you actually tried playing an actual game? For example, a twitch based game like Street Fighter IV? Because tonight I turned the game on, went into training mode that displays input and kept switching between gaming mode/PC mode/standard HDMI and I found no tangible difference. As soon as I'd press a key on the controller in any of these modes, the action would be immediately displayed on the screen. I had no trouble executing combo moves in training mode so do you guys think maybe this whole lag input issue is blown out of proportion? Unless all of you on AVS are superstar twitch game players, I really doubt you will notice any input lag while gaming. Just my two cents...

It IS more or less is blown out of proportion. For 95% of people out there, perhaps even me, it won't matter. Infact most ppl adapt to it without even knowing it. However for me it's just the principle of it. I just want the least amount of lag, that's all.

The only time it matters in competitive play is in very few scenarios.

Take this for example:
Lets say the avg person has a reaction time of 150ms.
Lets say you are playing against someone in a first person shooter.
Lets say your internet lag is the same.
Lets say you both round a corner and run in to each other and see each other at the exact same time - you both react to pull the trigger first.

Because your competitor is using a CRT and you chose to use an HDTV, your reaction is anywhere from 40-50ms (game mode) to 100+ms (standard mode) behind his reaction because you saw him 40-100+ms LATER than he did, thus he pulled the trigger first, you die first. Big deal? No. But we should strive for better should we not?

post #45 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You have to realize that the lag here is really small -- blinking your eye takes on the order of 300ms, so 60ms is really short. Most people don't have reflexes that fast.

To add to what KVW is saying, it becomes a problem only in games where timing really matters. For example, in Dead or Alive 4, you have about a 12 frame window to do a reversal, which is 200ms. This is about the average human reaction time. Now, if you have, say a TV with 100ms of lag, you've just cut down your "effective" time window in half. Of course, you can adapt by starting the reversal earlier.

Is this going to matter to most people? Probably not, but for some people, it's the difference between being able to consistently pull off an attack and only being able to do it some of the time.
post #46 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 09:13 PM

i agree, input lag is impt. if you are a competitive gamer that plays alot of time sensitive games. i notice a difference when i play games like halo3. minimal or less input lag can make the difference between a missed headshot with a sniper and instant death. could also make a difference in heated br battles. an opponent and i could be "one shot" and if he has less input lag (assuming equal accuracy for both of us), he will live and i will die. online lag comes into play as well. that's why the less lag there is overall, the better it is for a gamer in these kinds of situations. in a perfect world, we would have 0 latency in online games and sd crt/ crt monitor-like response with our hdtvs in regards to input lag. but we don't live in that world...yet, lol, so i for one would like to minimize lag as much as possible; if it is within the realm of my control, of course.

Toshyrrific!
post #47 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

There's actually a good example of the difference input lag could make at the bottom of this page (to save you from reading, the LCD on the left has about 4 frames of lag, while on the right is a CRT).
post #48 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 10:32 PM

btw, i'm gonna go ahead and post the results from my testing last weekend on my toshy. figure it might help broaden the testing results. i'll post some pix with game mode on and off vs a dell crt. ill also summarize results with other comparisons between my zenith sd crt, toshiba laptop, samsung lcd pc monitor, etc. since i did extensive testing overall. so without further ado...

game mode on via hdmi1 on a toshiba 40xf550u

Attachment 138254

Attachment 138255

Attachment 138256

Attachment 138257

btw 16-32ms, so let's say 24ms avg.
LL
LL
LL
LL

Toshyrrific!
post #49 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yep, it really is pretty subjective and depending on what your doing it may or may not matter a whole lot to you.

online games esp FPS prolly get the most impact out of it because the input lag basically adds to your connection lag

I've been playing FPS games sense age 13 or so back when Quake came out, I was playing it online, in the days of modems and when 200 was a good ping on a modem and 300 was the norm.

I can tell you that anything over 100 ping is very noticeable and affects FPS gameplay quite a bit when everyone else is sub 100 ping even on a CRT monitor, so if you have a ping of 50 lets say, and your tv has an input lag of 50 as well, you now effectively have a 100 ping because they stack this is why its important to some people

now yes you can become used to 100ms latency total but the guy with 50ms is going to have an advantage over you in the game

post #50 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 10:43 PM
KVW

Quote:

There's actually a good example of the difference input lag could make at the bottom of this page (to save you from reading, the LCD on the left has about 4 frames of lag, while on the right is a CRT).

wow great article pretty much sums it up for those who haven't quite grasped what all the hoopla is about.

post #51 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 10:48 PM

game mode off

Attachment 138258

Attachment 138259

Attachment 138260

Attachment 138261

so 3-4 frames, avg is 56ms.

so there you have it, game mode does make a big difference on this set, yielding me 2 frames less input lag on avg. trust me, in halo3 and other time sensitive games, that makes a world of difference. especially when it is kill or be killed, lol. one caveat is like kvw, i didn't adjust for primary/ secondary between displays, so the actual difference might actually be a bit more (since i use my toshy as secondary on the vid. card) i won't post more pix, since i have 400-500 worth of testing pix, lol, so that's not gonna happen.

i will summarize comparisons with other equipment i tested. i compared a dell crt monitor with a zenith crt tv: it was a wash most of the times with both screens showing the same exact times most of the time. i compared the dell crt monitor with my toshiba laptop. the laptop would show the same time as the dell crt half the time, with 16ms showing the other times, so maybe 8ms? i then compared my samsung syncmaster lcd pc monitor with the dell crt. i was surprised since this monitor is freakin old, about 8 years old now. it was only behind the crt by 1 frame most of the time! pretty damn good i would say.

so there you go, not bad overall for the toshy 40xf550u. it's as fast or somewhat faster than other sets in game mode, but probably still not as fast as hdmi/pc or vga for a samsung. though the toshiba has a vga input as well that i didn't really test, so i imagine it would be faster. unfortunately, you can't make many picture adjustments in vga mode, and the max res. is 1280x1024, so i wasn't gonna bother using that anyway. otoh, this set does let you make pq adjustments in game mode over hdmi/ component.

Toshyrrific!
post #52 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Accually older LCD PC monitors were all pretty fast, its the newer ones touting HDCP and other TV like capabilities that are getting laggy, and some specific panel types that have also been overdriven have been shown to have major input lag issues, TN panels by an large were the most common types back then and have been fast enough for a very long time to not need overdrive or other processing techniques to keep them from blurring, problem with TN panels is they wash out on off angles very bad and have a poor general picture quality, this is why they are not used in HDTV's if they were I bet we would see near zero lag TV's just like we do with TN PC LCD's, current fastest TN LCD's are 2ms lag that is zero input lag and 2ms on the panel, they have been tested to be this fast by many review sites, the average TN panel is like 8-10 ms prolly

what further complicates these problems is PC monitor and HDTV manufactures alike Do not want the general public to know about this problem, many review sites have tried to talk to manufactures about it and most deny it and say it does not exist!! others blow it off and say its not a problem for most people, they are avoiding it like the plague because with LCD tech the only way to make near zero lag happen is to sacrifice picture quality and use cheaper TN panels in displays, at least the PC monitor using crowd of gamers have tested and true high speed monitors available to them now but even then they dont advertise what input lag is of a display and they really should, I just think that they are afraid of the general public becoming aware of the problem and using the numbers to sway their decision on if they should buy the cheap fast TV/monitor or the slow expensive nice looking TV/Monitor

post #53 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 11:06 PM

interesting, thanks for the knowledge. so do you think the monitor i have, the samsung syncmaster 770tft 17" was made with a tn panel? i bought it back in spring 2001, so i don't know if tn panels were starting to be used then alot. and this screen seems to have much better viewing angles compared to some of the latest monitors i have seen. or maybe tn panels were just made and designed better back then? seeing as how overall, ce products in general seem to be going down the crapper each progressive year in terms of manufacturing quality and being outsourced. just curious, lol. i did notice that samsung did actually produce this lcd in s. korea. so not much outsourcing back then, i suppose. i guess costs have to be cut somehow to remain competitive, right? quality be damned! this monitor has never had any dead pixels or clouding or flashlighting, etc., lol. and it still functions just like the day i bought it. btw, this thing cost me a cool $1k back then. early adopter premium, lmao. it's been 8 years, so i can laugh about the hole it made in my wallet at the time. but man did it beat having my lanky old compaq 15" crt, especially considering how easy it was to carry the lcd around for lan parties. oh well, that's the blessing and curse of fast moving tech. i suppose. um, time to get back on topic, lol.

Toshyrrific!
post #54 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It very well could be a TN panel, easy way to tell a TN panel from any other type is they will exhibit washed out colors sometimes not from left to right of the screen but always if you look at it from above or below rather than straight on, if it does then its most likely a TN you should also do a search to find out what the model is

some TN panels are terrible and completely discolor (look inverted) others just change in their appearance allot but colors stay correct allthough not the same as straight on

post #55 of 4275 Old 03-29-2009, 11:36 PM

ah gotcha, yes ur right. doesn't wash out left to right, but when i look from top to bottom, it does just like you say. koolios, i learn sumthin new evryday. (imma poet n i didnt even know it, lol). though it does it only slightly compared to the screen on my toshiba laptop, which is terrible in comparison, but that's to be expected.

Toshyrrific!
post #56 of 4275 Old 03-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

That article explains input lag well but before people get scared off that monitor from DELL had one of the worst input lag of a bunch of PC monitors. Even the Sony and Samsung 120hz TVs when not in Game Mode and setup right will have better input lag numbers than that. Many have already tested that DELL monitor from many PC users by tests.

Xbox Live Gamertag: FELONY 301

PSN ID: FELONY--301

No problem adding people...
post #57 of 4275 Old 03-30-2009, 10:28 AM

Liked: 14
The difference between the B650 and the A750 is what.... .031 seconds?

Why would anyone return the B series for that little of a difference in lag when the pq IS quite noticeably much better on the B, not to mention the unlocked settings in Game Mode.
post #58 of 4275 Old 03-30-2009, 10:57 AM
KVW

You have to determine where your total amount of input lag cut-off point is. Is it 40,50... 60ms? At what point does it become too much of a handicap .

Being a former Panny LZ800 (my benchmark), the a750 in 'pc mode' is already at my borderline tolerable input lag. The b650 now surpasses it.

Sure it suxs the a750 locks down PQ adjustments in game/pc mode, but you can still tweak it enough to have a decent picture. You can also can make adjustments on your video card to further tweak the picture.

I'm a bit more torn now however , I'll admit. I plan to do some online playing with both monitors to see if I can live with the added lag. Especially since frys just lowered the price of the b650 to the same as the a750. Now the a750 lost its price advantage and has better PQ. Its only hindrance is its meaty input lag.

post #59 of 4275 Old 03-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by felonyr301 View Post

That article explains input lag well but before people get scared off that monitor from DELL had one of the worst input lag of a bunch of PC monitors. Even the Sony and Samsung 120hz TVs when not in Game Mode and setup right will have better input lag numbers than that. Many have already tested that DELL monitor from many PC users by tests.

I'm confused by what you're saying here -- the Dell monitor was tested to have, on average, about 4 frames of input lag. The Samsung 650, in normal mode, according to the first post on this thread, had 3-4 frames of lag, so it's comparable to the Dell monitor... so it's not actually much better...
post #60 of 4275 Old 03-30-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Button tests are very hard for most people to pick up on. Probably something about the time it takes to physically depress the button and where it may or may not register the action--it's just too much for people to process while picking out a handful of frames. The fool proof method is a fast shooter set to the highest aiming sensitivity--flail the aiming reticle around WHILE you cycle Standard/Game Mode/PC Modes. Frankly, anyone should be able to notice the difference on one of the 120Hz Samsungs.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl 55ex500 Series 55 Inch Lcd Tv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page