Input lag wars!, post your input lag results of your LCD display here for reference - Page 52 - AVS Forum
First ... 50  51  52 53  54  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Input lag wars!, post your input lag results of your LCD display here for reference
Mr Deap's Avatar Mr Deap 07:37 AM 07-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

well generally speaking sizes are not important, model versions are. for the most part the same model TV will perform the same regardless of the size of the TV, there are exceptions to this rule but for the ones that do perform good its pretty much 100% the case

the short list if you want it right now is pretty simple

best TV's are
any Sharp TV (in game mode)
any Panasonic TV (plasma or LCD and game mode is not necessary)

possibly acceptable TV's are
Toshiba and LG's LCD's

everything else is very hit or miss and most models from other brands will lag worse than the ones i listed above and will rarely match the Toshiba and LG's

The Toshiba LX177 is horrible. Yeah I know it's an old model, but wow. Even with game mode it's unplayable.

frito's Avatar frito 08:55 AM 07-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Deap View Post

The Toshiba LX177 is horrible. Yeah I know it's an old model, but wow. Even with game mode it's unplayable.

that's why they are under possibly acceptable, i've only seen a few Toshiba's tested, some owners like them, i had one that i returned for reasons other than input lag like smearing in game mode and color banding so they certainly are questionable but its worth noting that Toshiba makes models that use LG panels and those should not have the problems my Samsung Paneled Toshiba had
Fleury's Avatar Fleury 11:45 AM 07-22-2010
I need to help finding a new TV. My #1 main concern is input lag. I currently play on a 22" Viewsonic Vx2260wm monitor which is amazing. But I want something bigger to game on that wont have input lag. There are so many to choose from its like winning the lottery. this is what im looking for...

No or very little input lag
32"-42"
1080p

Thats all that matters to me. Dont care about all the bells and whistle or trillions of colors.

Any input or help would be great. Thanks.
Tim_in_NC's Avatar Tim_in_NC 12:04 PM 07-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury View Post

I need to help finding a new TV. My #1 main concern is input lag. I currently play on a 22" Viewsonic Vx2260wm monitor which is amazing. But I want something bigger to game on that wont have input lag. There are so many to choose from its like winning the lottery. this is what im looking for...

32"-42"
1080p

Thats all that matters to me. Dont care about all the bells and whistle or trillions of colors.

As stated above ... Get a Sharp LCD ... their 42" 1080p LCD can be found under $600
tommyv2's Avatar tommyv2 12:46 PM 07-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury View Post

32"-42"
1080p

Get a modern Sharp LCD, but not one of the fancy "Quattro" ones.
Norkusa's Avatar Norkusa 12:50 PM 07-22-2010
Right, the Sharp LCD's are great for gaming from what I've read. I haven't had a chance to do an input lag tests on my LC-60E88UN, but my initial impressions is that it has little to no input lag in game mode for 360/PS3 when connected with HDMI.

PS2 is a different story (using component with optical audio). Games with strict timing like Dance Dance Revolution or IIDX have enough lag to make me adjust the timing settings to +1 or +2 across all versions. Still a lot better than the +3 & +4 I was playing with when I had my old Vizio L37 though.
WWHD116's Avatar WWHD116 03:28 PM 07-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGSR View Post

Camera was just 10M, ISO800, and auto flash
LED, just standard setting on HDMI/DVI 1 labeled PC with and without LED Motion Plus on.

this is from the first page of the input lag wars thread, and it is a un55c7000 LED tv. there are pictures there as well. This trick works with other models of samsungs not just the led models. some samsungs have a special game mode if you hook it up via the VGA port and name it "PC". it will only display in 1024x768 but it is reported to only have one frame of lag in this resoulution. You would need an HDMI to VGA adapter. I have not tried this yet and dont know if if would work. the PQ is much worse than regular game mode and the contrast sucks but it is maybe 2 Frames faster. Its to bad it doesnt work for your sammy. I wish I had got a panasonic LCD back in 2009, it would be a lot faster and I would't have to tweak it so much. It is a sacrifice for reduced picture quality (vs. samsung) but much better for gaming.
Fleury's Avatar Fleury 03:48 PM 07-22-2010
Would either of these sharps be good? One is 60 hz and one is 120 hz. Would the 120 hz have more or less lag?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sharp+-+...&skuId=9742406

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sharp+-+...&skuId=9742442

Also how much lag are we talking with sharps? Is it less 20ms? Thanks for the suggestions and help!
jeam0202's Avatar jeam0202 04:24 PM 07-22-2010
good sharp TV for cheap: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...id=0&t=2140868

buying a tv from bestbuy....id rather shoot myself in the balls
nimz's Avatar nimz 11:22 AM 07-23-2010
Are there any recent TV's with super low lag? Why is no one testing new models? All the tested sets on the main page are not very easy to find online and impossible to find in person. I'm about to just buy a used sony crt off craigslist.
tommyv2's Avatar tommyv2 11:23 AM 07-23-2010
I love this YouTube video about Sharp TVs... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TETrO0GypU
tommyv2's Avatar tommyv2 11:27 AM 07-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimz View Post

Are there any recent TV's with super low lag? Why is no one testing new models? All the tested sets on the main page are not very easy to find online and impossible to find in person. I'm about to just buy a used sony crt off craigslist.

Any 2009 or 2010 Sharp LCD in game mode will do the trick. No need to overthink it!
nimz's Avatar nimz 11:30 AM 07-23-2010
Already bought a Sharp LC40D68UT with "vyper drive" and returned it. Wasn't even close to being good. Lag was super noticeable to me. I'm not sure what the actual amount was since no one has tested it and I didn't test it before giving it back.
tommyv2's Avatar tommyv2 11:36 AM 07-23-2010
Quote:

Already bought a Sharp LC40D68UT with "vyper drive" and returned it. Wasn't even close to being good. Lag was super noticeable to me. I'm not sure what the actual amount was since no one has tested it and I didn't test it before giving it back.

If you didn't like a Vyper drive Aquos, then an old CRT is your only choice. You shouldn't use wireless controllers, either, because that's 16ms right there...
nimz's Avatar nimz 11:41 AM 07-23-2010
Maybe that certain model was just poorly designed? We won't know until someone actually tests it.

Or maybe I noticed the lag because I have wireless controller PLUS THE AQUOS! Lol,

Do wireless controllers really have 16ms lag?
tommyv2's Avatar tommyv2 11:45 AM 07-23-2010
Quote:

Maybe that certain model was just poorly designed? We won't know until someone actually tests it.

Or maybe I noticed the lag because I have wireless controller PLUS THE AQUOS! Lol,

Do wireless controllers really have 16ms lag?

Yeah, or more. Even the SNES and Sega Megadrive quote 16ms controller latency in their 1991 spec comparison back in the day, and they're nice copper wires! Wireless is more, for sure, but really... it's 2010 and we need the best we can get NOW. If you need the very best, then time-match your equipment and you'll be fine! There's no going back to lag-free in this day and age, it's not gonna happen. There are even Sony CRT TVs that have lag, so nothing is infallible.

Testing new sets is a bit of a lost cause, since it's not perfect: How on earth are you going to find a zero-lag CRT WITH HDMI inputs to test 720p/1080p vs. your LCD of choice? You can't. You can test 480i stuff easily with a composite splitter, but are you really playing 480i games on your new set? Do you NEED to, when say, running PS1 games on your PS3 runs the signal at 1080p and negates that lag? All old Xbox games play at 480p, 80% of games in 16:9. What are you running, Saturn? Even the poor Dreamcast has a VGA output so those are generally fast, too...

Before you ask, I run all my "old" systems via my Xbox through emulation, all running at 720p. It's perfect. It's the easiest and best way to run old consoles without worrying about 480i nonsense.
DrOidwaker's Avatar DrOidwaker 01:01 PM 07-23-2010
Can someone please test the TOSHIBA 40UX600U or any of the other TV sizes in that series?

Thanks!
frito's Avatar frito 01:35 PM 07-23-2010
Sharp's and Panasonics are the only safe way to go this year, the Panasonic's are possibly slower than the Sharps but i cannot say for certain as both new panasonic LCD's and Plasma's have been tested vs CRT's and have around 30ms lag up about 10-15ms from last year's models but still on the high end of acceptable for most gamers.

the new Sharp's have not been tested but there are still many 700UN's and 77U and 67U model's around from last year that were tested in game mode to have at most 1 frame of lag with HD inputs.

if you intend to use SD inputs (composite, S-Video and even component 480i/p) Sharp's are the best bet but will have about 2 frames of lag in game mode (30ms)

lastly to those demanding results on new models need to remember that this is community driven discussion. nobody here has support from anyone to go out and test TV's to get results. the only way we will get results on newer sets is if you guys the new buyers buy the TV's and test them even if your going to return it because you feel its too laggy, that is all the more reason to test the TV so we know how laggy it is and can let other people know.

i have been giving out countless copies of SMTT to users on here and seeing almost no results posted. please post your results it is the reason for this thread and it cannot be kept up to date unless you guys do so!
Fleury's Avatar Fleury 01:49 PM 07-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam0202 View Post

good sharp TV for cheap: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...id=0&t=2140868

I would like to purchase the TV at a local retailer just in case I hate it. Then I can easily return it. It seems the only 40" sharps that stores have is the LC-40D68UT and the LC-40D78UN. The 68UT has the vyper drive for gaming. So I guess that would be the one to go for. Right?
wondras's Avatar wondras 02:46 PM 07-23-2010
Quote:

I'm about to just buy a used sony crt off craigslist.

It may not be that simple... I did some lag tests on a friend's 34XBR960 (probably the best TV ever made in the 32" range), and found it was not completely lag-free.

I'm still sorting through the SMTT test pics now, but the preliminary results are surprising. It appears to have about 12ms lag for 720p, which makes sense given that it has to scale it to its native 1080i. However, when I tested 1080i, it measured at about *30ms*. I have no explanation for such high lag at its native resolution, unless there was something wrong with my test setup.

More to come on this one. The good news is that at least the 720p lag is minimal (especially without additional pixel response lag), and the picture quality is phenomenal.
wondras's Avatar wondras 02:55 PM 07-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam0202 View Post

Why? They have a lot of models to choose from, decent prices during sales, and a surprisingly good return policy for TVs. My local BB even let me do a bunch of lag tests in the store.

Yes, the sales staff is usually less than useless, and you may feel a little dirty after the experience, but it's not a bad way to go overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyv2 View Post

Before you ask, I run all my "old" systems via my Xbox through emulation, all running at 720p. It's perfect. It's the easiest and best way to run old consoles without worrying about 480i nonsense.

I'd be very surprised if you aren't getting more lag vs. 480i on an original console. The XBox has to run the game in emulation, buffer the display, scale it to 720p, etc. This could easily add up to more than the 1 or 2 frames it usually takes to handle 480i.

Don't get me wrong, though, I think the original XBox is unbeatable for console emulation, and is probably the best way overall to do retro gaming on a modern setup.
Norkusa's Avatar Norkusa 03:42 PM 07-23-2010
I just played some In The Groove on my PS2 for the first time with the Sharp LC-60E88UN and I'm getting zero lag (with game mode on, of course).

On my old Vizio L37, I'd play ITG with +10ms to compensate for the input lag. Last night, I was playing it at +0ms on the Sharp and my scores were the same, so the new +0ms timing setting seems accurate. Last time I used +0 on ITG was with a CRT.

The strange thing is I'm still playing DDR at +1 or +2 timing for most versions. IIRC, I used to play at +1 even when I was using a CRT, so maybe this Sharp really is lag-free for ALL gaming and not just HDMI like I previously thought.
frito's Avatar frito 07:24 PM 07-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkusa View Post

I just played some In The Groove on my PS2 for the first time with the Sharp LC-60E88UN and I'm getting zero lag (with game mode on, of course).

On my old Vizio L37, I'd play ITG with +10ms to compensate for the input lag. Last night, I was playing it at +0ms on the Sharp and my scores were the same, so the new +0ms timing setting seems accurate. Last time I used +0 on ITG was with a CRT.

The strange thing is I'm still playing DDR at +1 or +2 timing for most versions. IIRC, I used to play at +1 even when I was using a CRT, so maybe this Sharp really is lag-free for ALL gaming and not just HDMI like I previously thought.

Sharps in game mode tend to be the fastest TV's and now that Panasonic's are around 30ms they should be faster than them not because they got faster but because panasonic's got slower
eneyman's Avatar eneyman 09:58 PM 07-23-2010
I just got excited these past days about ordering a 40C650 Samsung, until I played my xbox and ps3 on my bros 46A650.. what an awful gaming experience.. even in game mode it was terrible.. I love the HD quality of the Samsung for bluray and hdtv, but I will be playing alot of games.. I think I might just give up for now, or for a few years and put off getting an hdtv.. my sony crt is great for gaming, except I can't read text.. but I wish I had a nice hdtv for movies.
JukeBox360's Avatar JukeBox360 11:17 PM 07-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneyman View Post

I just got excited these past days about ordering a 40C650 Samsung, until I played my xbox and ps3 on my bros 46A650.. what an awful gaming experience.. even in game mode it was terrible.. I love the HD quality of the Samsung for bluray and hdtv, but I will be playing alot of games.. I think I might just give up for now, or for a few years and put off getting an hdtv.. my sony crt is great for gaming, except I can't read text.. but I wish I had a nice hdtv for movies.

Consider plasma. Sammy plasmas are great sets. Amazing picture and perfect for gaming.
frito's Avatar frito 02:19 AM 07-24-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Consider plasma. Sammy plasmas are great sets. Amazing picture and perfect for gaming.

samsung plasmas are not good for gaming, they lag just as bad as their LCD's do.

the only Plasma's that have low lag are Panasonics

i hate to sound like a broken record in this thread as of late but until someone can come forward with evidence otherwise its pretty simple

best LCD's are Sharps and Panasonics with and edge to sharp's

best plasma's are Panasonic's

anything else is going to be either just ok or bad to very bad with most landing in the bad category.
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar PENDRAG0ON 02:56 AM 07-24-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

samsung plasmas are not good for gaming, they lag just as bad as their LCD's do.

the only Plasma's that have low lag are Panasonics

i hate to sound like a broken record in this thread as of late but until someone can come forward with evidence otherwise its pretty simple

best LCD's are Sharps and Panasonics with and edge to sharp's

best plasma's are Panasonic's

anything else is going to be either just ok or bad to very bad with most landing in the bad category.

He has done the comparisons against a CRT, he just needs to post the images to back up his claims. He claims that his 50c7000 in game mode is under 30ms of lag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

it's already been done lol

My results were not that low. Then again the camera I was using was so crappy that it was hard to tell. I NEVER got anything higher then 31 while in game mode testing. I'd say average was about 20. I'm a hardcore gamer. It's pretty much my passion. And honestly. Gaming is not a problem at all on this set.

I only tested in game mode because I had only done lag test for gaming reasons only. I didn't see myself gaming outside of gaming mode. I can say this. Gaming without game mode on felt like gaming on my LN46A650. Fast but still a little to slow. With game mode on. It felt like there wasn't any lag at all. And I'm a pretty avid gamer.

His claims back up what I have experienced with my 50c450, it's lag should be even less thanks to the lack of 3d and all the extra processing of the higher models. (the c550 should do very well too)
Guibs's Avatar Guibs 04:52 AM 07-24-2010
For what it's worth, I tried Sony's kdl46hx701 and in game mode, the input lag is low enough that I don't notice it at all while it was unbearable on the samsung c650 in game mode. I was pleasantly suorised since so far, most of Sony's tv were crap for gaming. I'd say the lag must be around 30ish ms. Again, no hard test from my part, just me feeling when comparing it with other tv I have tried. Of course, out of game mode with motionflow, you feel the input lag but if the game you play doesn't require lightning fast reflexes you can put it on for a better picture.
Gamelux's Avatar Gamelux 07:11 AM 07-24-2010
Here are my Results for the Pana TX-L37V10E....

CRT@VGA vs Pana@hdmi 1080p

30-50ms ?

not a good result, right ?
LR6AGB001's Avatar LR6AGB001 08:40 AM 07-24-2010
So my Sony Wega CRT died out and I'm looking for a replacement display for the Wii and might consider connecting my secondary 360 unit as well.
So this one goes out to frito, Panny tc-l(xx)U22 or tc-l(xx)X2?
I'm not looking to spend much and I should've jumped on the 32" X1 model when it was on sale earlier in the year.
Tags: Lcd Hdtv , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl 55ex500 Series 55 Inch Lcd Tv Black
First ... 50  51  52 53  54  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop