Input lag wars!, post your input lag results of your LCD display here for reference - Page 66 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1951 of 4242 Old 09-10-2010, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It should look like this as far as I know:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...8&d=1232646182

I haven't checked it on my 46C530 I got yesterday, but I did have that little label on the side and so far I just chose to trust it.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...02-label-2.jpg
That's pretty much what the label looks like, mine says SQ01.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 4242 Old 09-10-2010, 03:57 AM
Ins

I've checked againg and on my sticker there was nothing more. Ofcourse there is no label on TV ...

PS. I've entered service menu:

Type: 40L6AF0C

If I'm right this is AUO panel.
post #1953 of 4242 Old 09-10-2010, 02:21 PM

Anyone got any specs on UV2A panels? Are these the ones used in the Sharp sets that have very low input lag?
post #1954 of 4242 Old 09-10-2010, 03:34 PM

Liked: 12
Two more displays have been tested: Panasonic TC-L32U22 and LG 32LD450. Here are the lag measurements.

Panasonic TC-L32U22 = 2-3 frames of lag (matches with what others have posted)
LG 32LD450 = 1-2 frames of lag

Both were tested at 1920x1080p/60 resolution.

Looks like I'm finally at the end of my journey. Of the seven 32" 1080p displays I've tested, looks like I may be going with the LG 32LD450. It has the lowest input lag at 1-2 frames and has an S-IPS display. Note: I have no idea what the differences are between S-IPS, IPS Alpha, or other IPS variants. But to my untrained eyes, they prefer S-IPS displays .

Here are some additional notes...

1) The Panasonic TC-L32U22 doesn't have a "game mode", so I used "normal mode" instead. I also disabled every processing feature I could find.

2) The panel sticker inside the Panasonic TC-L32U22 reads the following:
IPS Alpha Technology Malaysia Sdn.Bhd.
AX080F072G
10052K A C62708
Rev B Made in Malaysia

3) The panel sticker inside the LG 32LD450 reads the following:
LC320WUG
(SC)(A1)
[LG Logo] LG Display

post #1955 of 4242 Old 09-10-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexex View Post

Anyone got any specs on UV2A panels? Are these the ones used in the Sharp sets that have very low input lag?

Know the model numbers of any 32" 1080p displays that have this UV2A panel? I never heard of this panel type and i wouldn't mind hunting one down to run some lag tests.
post #1956 of 4242 Old 09-10-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum View Post

Know the model numbers of any 32" 1080p displays that have this UV2A panel? I never heard of this panel type and i wouldn't mind hunting one down to run some lag tests.

Not 32 inch sets no. I sure it's in the sony 46HX903. I've heard it's in the Sharps as well but it totally unconfirmed. I can only find a few specs for this panel type mostly from sharp themselves or quoting there press releases and demos. It's supposed to be twice as fast as other panels but I've seen no hard facts.
post #1957 of 4242 Old 09-10-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Wow, I was deciding between the LG LD450 and the Samsung C530 and went for the Samsung pretty much because it was supposed to have less lag than the LG ... crap xD
post #1958 of 4242 Old 09-10-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Two more displays have been tested: Panasonic TC-L32U22 and LG 32LD450. Here are the lag measurements.

Panasonic TC-L32U22 = 2-3 frames of lag (matches with what others have posted)

Both were tested at 1920x1080p/60 resolution.

Looks like I'm finally at the end of my journey. Of the seven 32" 1080p displays I've tested, looks like I may be going with the LG 32LD450. It has the lowest input lag at 1-2 frames and has an S-IPS display. Note: I have no idea what the differences are between S-IPS, IPS Alpha, or other IPS variants. But to my untrained eyes, they prefer S-IPS displays .

Here are some additional notes...

1) The Panasonic TC-L32U22 doesn't have a "game mode", so I used "normal mode" instead. I also disabled every processing feature I could find.

2) The panel sticker inside the Panasonic TC-L32U22 reads the following:
IPS Alpha Technology Malaysia Sdn.Bhd.
AX080F072G
10052K A C62708
Rev B Made in Malaysia

3) The panel sticker inside the LG 32LD450 reads the following:
LC320WUG
(SC)(A1)
[LG Logo] LG Display

Another fantastic post.

Question for the LG set
Is there a PC mode? If so, was it tested against the Game mode?
post #1959 of 4242 Old 09-11-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:

I assume you're testing US versions of these TVs?
post #1960 of 4242 Old 09-11-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus18 View Post

Another fantastic post.

Question for the LG set
Is there a PC mode? If so, was it tested against the Game mode?

Yes, there's a PC mode, but only if you use the VGA input. I didn't test VGA/PC mode because the picture quality suffers compared to the HDMI input. Things just seem more overall blurry on the VGA input, even after calibration.

If this is big deal to you though, let me know and I'll grab some pics for pc mode.
post #1961 of 4242 Old 09-11-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thradya View Post

I assume you're testing US versions of these TVs?

Correct, everything I've tested so far are the US versions.
post #1962 of 4242 Old 09-11-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Yes, there's a PC mode, but only if you use the VGA input. I didn't test VGA/PC mode because the picture quality suffers compared to the HDMI input. Things just seem more overall blurry on the VGA input, even after calibration.

If this is big deal to you though, let me know and I'll grab some pics for pc mode.

So there isn't an option to re-label one of the HDMI inputs to PC?
This picture should give you an idea of what I am referring about.

post #1963 of 4242 Old 09-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:

So there isn't an option to re-label one of the HDMI inputs to PC?
This picture should give you an idea of what I am referring about.

Thanks for the heads up. I reran the test using the PC setting, but it looks like it didn't make any change at all -- still at 1-2 frames of lag. It also looks like the so-called game mode doesn't really do anything for lag either.

Another observation about this LG display... If it receives no signal from its input, the display will automatically go into standby mode after a few minutes. This is a huge feature for me since I plan on using this display as a computer monitor; not having to manually turn on/off the display all the time is a blessing .

post #1964 of 4242 Old 09-11-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up. I reran the test using the PC setting, but it looks like it didn't make any change at all -- still at 1-2 frames of lag. It also looks like the so-called game mode doesn't really do anything for lag either.

Another observation about this LG display... If it receives no signal from its input, the display will automatically go into standby mode after a few minutes. This is a huge feature for me since I plan on using this display as a computer monitor; not having to manually turn on/off the display all the time is a blessing .

Thanks for taking the time to test. Did the screen blink or shake when re-labeling the HDMI input to PC? and are any of the HDMI inputs on the back of the TV marked PC or DVI?
post #1965 of 4242 Old 09-11-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks for taking the time to test. Did the screen blink or shake when re-labeling the HDMI input to PC? and are any of the HDMI inputs on the back of the set marked PC or DVI?

If it's anything like the LD520 (assume it is) then when you label the the input the screen doesn't change (readjust, turn off/on etc).

The only exception is when you set the label to PC. When labeled PC the only Aspect Ratio options available are 16:9 and 4:3; it will not let you chose 1:1 pixel mapping or any zoom features. The other limitation that is added when you chose PC (120hz/240hz sets) it will not let you turn on any form of TruMotion (frame interpolation/blending).

As for inputs there is no DVI directly in, only HDMI, VGA, Coax, Component (you can still use a PCs DVI port w/ a cheap hdmi adapter).

When a device is plugged in via VGA most post processing effects are grayed out (turmotion comes to mind).

As for using the TV as a monitor you'll only have one problem, getting used to 32"-55" inches of pure awesome (actually it took me a couple of days to get used to it with my mouse). If you game on your PC I highly suggest you load up Crysis. You'll understand when you see it.
post #1966 of 4242 Old 09-11-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLcMama0202 View Post

If it's anything like the LD520 (assume it is) then when you label the the input the screen doesn't change (readjust, turn off/on etc).

The only exception is when you set the label to PC. When labeled PC the only Aspect Ratio options available are 16:9 and 4:3; it will not let you chose 1:1 pixel mapping or any zoom features. The other limitation that is added when you chose PC (120hz/240hz sets) it will not let you turn on any form of TruMotion (frame interpolation/blending).

As for inputs there is no DVI directly in, only HDMI, VGA, Coax, Component (you can still use a PCs DVI port w/ a cheap hdmi adapter).

When a device is plugged in via VGA most post processing effects are grayed out (turmotion comes to mind).

As for using the TV as a monitor you'll only have one problem, getting used to 32"-55" inches of pure awesome (actually it took me a couple of days to get used to it with my mouse). If you game on your PC I highly suggest you load up Crysis. You'll understand when you see it.

Yup, everything you mentioned is correct for the 32LD450 as well. I'm assuming labeling the input as "PC" automatically disables all processing features for you (ex., dynamic contrast control, noise reduction, edge enhancer, etc). But if you disable everything manually yourself, then there's no difference between either modes.

As for the input label on the back of the TV, its labeled as "HDMI/DVI".
post #1967 of 4242 Old 09-11-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Yup, everything you mentioned is correct for the 32LD450 as well. I'm assuming labeling the input as "PC" automatically disables all processing features for you (ex., dynamic contrast control, noise reduction, edge enhancer, etc). But if you disable everything manually yourself, then there's no difference between either modes.

Thanks for the info.

The reason I was curious is because with my previous 32LH30 set, the screen would blink/shake when labeling the HDMI input to PC. It felt like it lowered the latency, but unfortunately I did not do any tests at the time of ownership.
post #1968 of 4242 Old 09-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Firstly, thanks for your nice input lag tests!
Suggestion: Also specify average delays in your pics, maybe it's just me but I think that'd be nice to have as well.
If you're going to make more that is ofc x)

As I mentioned here before I recently bought a C530 and this recent LG stuff made me wonder:
When you tested the input lag on Samsung LN32C530, had you changed "HDMI1" source label to "DVI PC" as well as turning all extra processing off or did you test with the standard HDMI1 label?

Thanks
post #1969 of 4242 Old 09-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info.

The reason I was curious is because with my previous 32LH30 set, the screen would blink/shake when labeling the HDMI input to PC. It felt like it lowered the latency, but unfortunately I did not do any tests at the time of ownership.

I should clarify that the TV did blink when I switched the label to PC. But based on my lag pics, and using the TV for the past hour, I can't perceive any lag difference between PC and non-PC.
post #1970 of 4242 Old 09-11-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:

I should clarify that the TV did blink when I switched the label to PC. But based on my lag pics, and using the TV for the past hour, I can't perceive any lag difference between PC and non-PC.

Gotcha
Thanks for clarifying
post #1971 of 4242 Old 09-11-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaemon View Post

Firstly, thanks for your nice input lag tests!
Suggestion: Also specify average delays in your pics, maybe it's just me but I think that'd be nice to have as well.
If you're going to make more that is ofc x)

As I mentioned here before I recently bought a C530 and this recent LG stuff made me wonder:
When you tested the input lag on Samsung LN32C530, had you changed "HDMI1" source label to "DVI PC" as well as turning all extra processing off or did you test with the standard HDMI1 label?

Thanks

I'm a little weary about posting averages. Since in order for an "average" to have any significance, I would need to take a heck of a lot more samples than the 12 I used. Repeatable min's and max's have more significance with small sample sets.

I don't recall seeing a relabeling feature on the Samsung, so nope, I didn't test in DVI PC mode. But I did disable every extra processing feature while using the HDMI1 input. Unfortunately I already sold the set on craigslist, so I can't do a retest
post #1972 of 4242 Old 09-11-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:

I'm a little weary about posting averages. Since in order for an "average" to have any significance, I would need to take a heck of a lot more samples than the 12 I used. Repeatable min's and max's have more significance with small sample sets.

I don't recall seeing a relabeling feature on the Samsung, so nope, I didn't test in DVI PC mode. But I did disable every extra processing feature while using the HDMI1 input. Unfortunately I already sold the set on craigslist, so I can't do a retest

Even in small scale tests I think it might be a bit useful when comparing different displays. Two different displays with same min and max can be a bit different. One hitting the min value perhaps only in 1 sample of a 12 sample test while the other had it like 10-11 times? Well like I said maybe it's just me

Anyway just in in case you test a Samsung again or so:
Source selection menu -> Select source -> press Tools (a menu pops up) -> Edit name

I'll see if I can give it a try myself on my 46C530.
Might be fun to know if the lag is different than on the smaller models, or at least just to see if the "label"-modes have any differances in input lag.

post #1973 of 4242 Old 09-11-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaemon View Post

Even in small scale tests I think it might be a bit useful when comparing different displays. Two different displays with same min and max can be a bit different. One hitting the min value perhaps only in 1 sample of a 12 sample test while the other had it like 10-11 times? Well like I said maybe it's just me

Anyway just in in case you test a Samsung again or so:
Source selection menu -> Select source -> press Tools (a menu pops up) -> Edit name

I'll see if I can give it a try myself on my 46C530.
Might be fun to know if the lag is different than on the smaller models, or at least just to see if the "label"-modes have any differances in input lag.

Edit: I guess I don't have a suitable CRT, needs to be able to run 1920x1080 on it right? <_<

For lag tests, its preferable to use the native resolution of the display being tested. Otherwise, there might be extra lag due to the scaler.

If your video drivers allow it, you can set panning mode on your CRT. This will create a 1080p virtual desktop using whatever resolution your CRT supports. Panning mode is unavailable in Windows 7 (OS design restriction), but should be in WinXP and Vista. Dunno about OSX or any other operating systems.
post #1974 of 4242 Old 09-12-2010, 12:30 AM

First off, thank you everyone for your thorough posts. They've been extremely helpful in narrowing down the selection of TV I've been looking at.

I want to buy a 32" TV and use it as a computer monitor and TV to replace my current PC monitor. I have a 27.5" HannsG 1920x1200 (16:10) screen which I love, but the black levels and color are pretty abysmal being a TN panel. Objects and people details in dark scenes, like the many in Dark Knight, are indistinguishable from the dark background.

However the saving grace of the HannsG is the super sharp text, and the fact it's huge

So my question to those with the LG 32LD450 and similar models, how clear is text when using the monitor as a computer and how good is the black level?
post #1975 of 4242 Old 09-12-2010, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
So I have been working my way through this thread... TV buying has gotten a lot more complicated than I remember...

While I am trying to get it all in my head it's a lot of numbers to crunch and I was wondering if there are any clear across the board winners...

ie budget priced, uniform inky blacks, good PQ with low lag times? I remember back in my early FP days the Infocus 4805 was the budget king performer... wondering if after all this testing we have come to consensous on something similar in the LCD world.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #1976 of 4242 Old 09-12-2010, 04:32 AM

I found this review on HDtvtest.co.uk. I was suprised that the C530 has only 14ms lag. But Can i trust this result? I have now an e37ex402 (BE2 model) that has around 30 ms lag. But I want to make sure that if I buy this tv that its accurate. So may question is, does HDtvtest.co.uk use the right method for inputlag measurement?
post #1977 of 4242 Old 09-12-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootje View Post

I found this review on HDtvtest.co.uk. I was suprised that the C530 has only 14ms lag. But Can i trust this result? I have now an e37ex402 (BE2 model) that has around 30 ms lag. But I want to make sure that if I buy this tv that its accurate. So may question is, does HDtvtest.co.uk use the right method for inputlag measurement?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post19153563

In this test he didn't change label on HDMI1 to DVI PC, not sure if it makes a differance but noteworthy perhaps.
post #1978 of 4242 Old 09-12-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarnCrazy View Post

First off, thank you everyone for your thorough posts. They've been extremely helpful in narrowing down the selection of TV I've been looking at.

I want to buy a 32" TV and use it as a computer monitor and TV to replace my current PC monitor. I have a 27.5" HannsG 1920x1200 (16:10) screen which I love, but the black levels and color are pretty abysmal being a TN panel. Objects and people details in dark scenes, like the many in Dark Knight, are indistinguishable from the dark background.

However the saving grace of the HannsG is the super sharp text, and the fact it's huge

So my question to those with the LG 32LD450 and similar models, how clear is text when using the monitor as a computer and how good is the black level?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but panel types (IPS, TN, MVA, PVA, etc) have no difference when black levels are concerned. They're all backlit using the same type of technology such as CCFL or LED, so you'll never be able to get really nice blacks. Most name brands use various tricks to create better blacks by using a feature like dynamic contrast. But this effect often creates lag since the TV has to spend a several milliseconds to process the scene before displaying it on the screen.

Supposively though, TVs using local dimming LED backlights have genuine better black levels since backlighting is localized. But these types of displays are about 1.5-3x the price.

In regards to text sharpness and clarity on 32" 1080p displays, it is imperative you go through some calibration images to get the best results (ex. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/). Once you do that, text sharpness should be comparable to a traditional computer LCD monitor. For me, the text on a 32" 1080p display while sitting 2-3ft is sharp and clear. If its any indication, I've worked on Word documents for several hours (on a Vizio SV320XVT) and didn't end up with any headaches or eye-strain.
post #1979 of 4242 Old 09-12-2010, 08:51 AM

Would any of you know if the LD 450 is the same as LD 650 panel wise? If so, this tv would be great for gaming!
post #1980 of 4242 Old 09-12-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post

So I have been working my way through this thread... TV buying has gotten a lot more complicated than I remember...

While I am trying to get it all in my head it's a lot of numbers to crunch and I was wondering if there are any clear across the board winners...

ie budget priced, uniform inky blacks, good PQ with low lag times? I remember back in my early FP days the Infocus 4805 was the budget king performer... wondering if after all this testing we have come to consensous on something similar in the LCD world.

Like with any electronics, there isn't a "perfect" model of anything that satisfies every performance criteria. What was that saying? "Fast, Good, or Cheap -- you can only pick two". So it really comes down to what your priorities are.

For a graphics artist type of guy, I guess he would prefer something with an IPS Alpha panel.

For a PC gamer with "twitch" gaming (first person shooters and arcade fighters), a 0ms input lag means absolutely everything.

For me, I plan on using a 32" 1080p display exclusively for day-to-day PC use and non-fps PC gaming. Thus, my top priorities are 1) very low input lag (delayed mouse cursor movements drive me nuts), and 2) excellent color reproduction (hence my bias towards a S-IPS panel type).

But overall, I think its just a personality matter where enthusiasts like us want to get the best bang for our buck. "Enthusiasts" are a minority. Its probably safe to say 95% of TV buyers out there just go to their local Best Buy and buy whatever looks best within their price range, without considering things like input lag, true color reproduction, intended usage, etc.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl 55ex500 Series 55 Inch Lcd Tv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page