LG 32LH40 32-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 118 Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I saw this 2009 LG Model at a local brick & mortar store. It had an excellent picture and looks very intriguing, especially being a 32" 1080p with 120Hz. Do any of you have one yet or have you seen one? Your thoughts?
BoilerJim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 118 Old 03-22-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HMenke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Kentucky (Greater Cincinnati)
Posts: 1,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I haven't seen it, but your post made me wonder: what does 1080p get you in a 32" picture size? I'm not sure the extra resolution can be resolved at normal viewing distances.

It might make sense to either save the money and go 720p or get a top-of-the-line 720p set (better processing, better black level) for the same money.
HMenke is offline  
post #3 of 118 Old 03-22-2009, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMenke View Post

I haven't seen it, but your post made me wonder: what does 1080p get you in a 32" picture size? I'm not sure the extra resolution can be resolved at normal viewing distances.

It might make sense to either save the money and go 720p or get a top-of-the-line 720p set (better processing, better black level) for the same money.

There are two schools of thought on this. Many other folks like me think that 1080p is desirable on nearly any size TV. There have been several other models that have had 1080p in the 32" size; however, this new LG and the new 32" Sony XBR9 are two of the first to offer 120Hz in that size as well. The new Samsung 32B650 may also, but the Samsung web site is a little ambiguous on that one.

As for saving money, some people golf; I don't. Some people drink; I don't. Some people smoke; I don't. Some people... well, you get the idea. If I want to spend my money on electronic toys, then I'll do it. If you don't want to, that's OK with me also. Your money, your choice. The same goes for me.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #4 of 118 Old 03-22-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: east SF bay area, ca
Posts: 3,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
some people want to use 32" TV's for their PC like me

on that note as an owner of a 32xbr6, yes you can tell a difference between a 720p and a 1080p set even at a normal viewing distance from it (4-6 feet i would consider normal for a 32") any further and it does become harder to tell, also the top of the line 32" tend to be far better than 720p models in their features and image processing beyond just the whole 120hz thing (no my set is not 120hz like the new ones)

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
frito is offline  
post #5 of 118 Old 03-22-2009, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Thanks, frito, those are my thoughts exactly.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #6 of 118 Old 03-22-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HMenke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Kentucky (Greater Cincinnati)
Posts: 1,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

As for saving money, some people golf; I don't. Some people drink; I don't. Some people smoke; I don't. Some people... well, you get the idea. If I want to spend my money on electronic toys, then I'll do it. If you don't want to, that's OK with me also. Your money, your choice. The same goes for me.

HMenke is offline  
post #7 of 118 Old 03-23-2009, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
So, has anyone seen this TV or the new 32" 1080p Sony XBR9 120Hz?
BoilerJim is offline  
post #8 of 118 Old 03-23-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: east SF bay area, ca
Posts: 3,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

So, has anyone seen this TV or the new 32" 1080p Sony XBR9 120Hz?

I saw the 32xbr9 at best buy, i didnt play with it much but as far as i could tell it looked pretty much the same as my 32xbr6 picture wise, though they did not have any more 32xbr6's on the floor to compare to so i could be completely wrong. It did look great though

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
frito is offline  
post #9 of 118 Old 03-23-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SystemShock2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SF Bay Area, in the state of Californication
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow. Pretty soon it's going to be hard to buy a 32-incher that doesn't have 120Hz and 1080p.

Give it two years, tops.
.

"SED's dead, baby. SED's dead."
SystemShock2 is offline  
post #10 of 118 Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Newbie
 
Stealthrida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently Own the LG 32LH40 The color picture is great the picture quality is amazing, i was looking at it compared to the old XBr6 and old samsung at Best buy and thought the picture quality looked better, brighter, and crisper. I think at my house i didnt conect something right tho i have comcast and certain chanels look granny.
Stealthrida is offline  
post #11 of 118 Old 03-23-2009, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthrida View Post

I currently Own the LG 32LH40 The color picture is great the picture quality is amazing, i was looking at it compared to the old XBr6 and old samsung at Best buy and thought the picture quality looked better, brighter, and crisper. I think at my house i didnt conect something right tho i have comcast and certain chanels look granny.

When I saw it at Best Buy, it was near the new 32XBR9 and the old 32XBR6. The Sonys looked excellent, but the LG looked every bit as good if not better. Looking at the specs on the LG web site, an 80,000:1 dynamic ratio and 2.7ms response time puts it in pretty classy territory.

I hope you get your connections fixed. It looks like a great panel.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #12 of 118 Old 03-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Newbie
 
Stealthrida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes its a great tv, i think its just comcast. If i watch tv its granny, if i play games, or watch dvds (dont have blu ray) it looks amazing. I post a pic up of the tv when i find the camera.
Stealthrida is offline  
post #13 of 118 Old 03-24-2009, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I'm looking forward to seeing it.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #14 of 118 Old 03-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Newbie
 
Stealthrida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10


Side photos


back photos



another front photo



If anybody wants me to take more specific photos let me know.
Stealthrida is offline  
post #15 of 118 Old 03-25-2009, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Very nice. Thanks for the pictures.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #16 of 118 Old 03-26-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mrjktcvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My Pioneer blu-ray player doesn't even put out 720p. I don't care what size screen you have, 720p is a cheap copout.
mrjktcvs is offline  
post #17 of 118 Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Newbie
 
bn880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it just me or does this set only have Digital Optical audio out, no Analog... that would mean you can't hook up some of the best old amps and receivers to it, pretty sad.

On another note, I'v very curious to see the picture quality with the 70 000:1 claimed CR, hopefully its better than the 37LG50 I have ATM.
bn880 is offline  
post #18 of 118 Old 04-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Newbie
 
ChadVader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if this uses an IPS panel?

Also, would this be a good choice for a computer monitor?
ChadVader is offline  
post #19 of 118 Old 04-19-2009, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadVader View Post

Does anyone know if this uses an IPS panel?

Also, would this be a good choice for a computer monitor?

I believe Panasonic is the only LCD that uses an IPS panel.

As for using the 32LH40 as a computer monitor, I would think it would do really well given its great contrast ratio. Does anyone out there have any first hand knowledge of this?
BoilerJim is offline  
post #20 of 118 Old 04-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Member
 
Chuny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use the LG32LH40 as a monitor. Using DVI2HDMI cable. I think it is far better than the VX2240W 22in LCD that it replaced. Also, it uses an S-IPS panel.
Chuny is offline  
post #21 of 118 Old 04-19-2009, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuny View Post

I use the LG32LH40 as a monitor. Using DVI2HDMI cable. I think it is far better than the VX2240W 22in LCD that it replaced. Also, it uses an S-IPS panel.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #22 of 118 Old 04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
 
bearfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got pricing for the LH40 line in vancouver bc.I phoned a few retailers the prices were way more than the US srp even with the exchange.Are Canadian retailers just greedy?
bearfun is offline  
post #23 of 118 Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Member
 
samven582's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthrida View Post



Side photos


back photos



another front photo



If anybody wants me to take more specific photos let me know.

how are the viewing angles? my brother has 37LG30 (last years model) and they are terrible.
samven582 is offline  
post #24 of 118 Old 04-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Newbie
 
bn880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Checked out these TV's in store, they had the worst viewing angles of all the TV's in the store. No contest. At an angle of 75 degrees the TV is about 4x darker/invisible than anything else out there.
bn880 is offline  
post #25 of 118 Old 04-22-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bn880 View Post

Checked out these TV's in store, they had the worst viewing angles of all the TV's in the store. No contest. At an angle of 75 degrees the TV is about 4x darker/invisible than anything else out there.

Well, I don't agree with that. I think they have an absolutely fabulous picture and I couldn't see a thing wrong with the viewing angles. The configuration of the small room I would put the TV in would give great viewing angles anyway, so that is a moot point to me.

However, I'm getting ready to make a final decision between the Sony 32XBR9, the Samsung 32B650, and the LG 32LH40 and I've almost eliminated the LG from consideration because of the weird configuration of the table top stand. It is basically an oval stand similar to the Samsung's stand, but it looks like someone has taken a big crescent-shaped bite out of the back of it. Although the TV looked stable in the store, I was reading a review on Amazon which said there is a hole provided in the back of the stand just behind the post so that you can "screw the unit to the table it's sitting on" to provide better stability.

So, I trekked over to Best Buy today to check it out for myself. Unfortunately, the 32" LH40 was sitting on an upper shelf so I couldn't really see the base that well. However, the 42" version of the LH40 was down lower, and sure enough, there was a hole in the base behind the post to screw it down and stabilize the TV. Even though it seemed stable enough, I do have small children in my home occasionally and I'm not sure I want to take a chance on it getting tipped over just because LG wanted to save a few cents worth of plastic on each stand by taking a bite out of it.

The Sony 32XBR9 base seemed much more stable and the picture quality was just as good (although the price, of course, was much higher). The smallest Samsung B650 on display was the 37" version. It seemed stable also, but although I have a Samsung 46A650 and love it dearly, I'm really starting to lean toward the Sony 32XBR9 for my smaller set.

Decisions, decisions...
BoilerJim is offline  
post #26 of 118 Old 04-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Member
 
sonyfan22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadVader View Post

Does anyone know if this uses an IPS panel?

Also, would this be a good choice for a computer monitor?

Can't comment about it's use as a computer monitor, but I can tell you that all 2009 LG's (32" and above) use an S-IPS panel. http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av...2049861,00.htm

I believe Panasonic uses an IPS Alpha, which, if I remember correctly, is the best IPS panel made, followed in 2nd by the S-IPS.
sonyfan22 is offline  
post #27 of 118 Old 04-22-2009, 12:58 PM
KVW
Senior Member
 
KVW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The viewing angles are good. it's an IPS panel for christ sakes.

I now have an 42lh30 at home (had the 37lh30) and the imagine quality is maintained well from left to right however loses some contrast when standing up over the panel and looking down on to it. So it's important to have the LCD mounted high enough to where it's level with your head. As long as that is met, you can sit from virtually any angle in the room and the PQ is quite nice.

I'll probably rent an lh40 this weekend to lag test it against directly against my lh30 and make my final decision. something tells me I'll be keeping the lh30 though.

Btw i also own a 32lz800 which is the benchmark for all my monitor comparisons. Most LCDs that are not IPS do not handle off-center viewing angles very well. Especially TN panels. VPA panels handle it better but are some of the laggiest panels you can purchase. Everything is a compromise, choose the best compromise for you.

Your LCD lags. Learn about input lag and be disenchanted by your expensive LCD set.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag
KVW is offline  
post #28 of 118 Old 04-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Newbie
 
mltk53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Well, I don't agree with that. I think they have an absolutely fabulous picture and I couldn't see a thing wrong with the viewing angles. The configuration of the small room I would put the TV in would give great viewing angles anyway, so that is a moot point to me.

However, I'm getting ready to make a final decision between the Sony 32XBR9, the Samsung 32B650, and the LG 32LH40 and I've almost eliminated the LG from consideration because of the weird configuration of the table top stand. It is basically an oval stand similar to the Samsung's stand, but it looks like someone has taken a big crescent-shaped bite out of the back of it. Although the TV looked stable in the store, I was reading a review on Amazon which said there is a hole provided in the back of the stand just behind the post so that you can "screw the unit to the table it's sitting on" to provide better stability.

So, I trekked over to Best Buy today to check it out for myself. Unfortunately, the 32" LH40 was sitting on an upper shelf so I couldn't really see the base that well. However, the 42" version of the LH40 was down lower, and sure enough, there was a hole in the base behind the post to screw it down and stabilize the TV. Even though it seemed stable enough, I do have small children in my home occasionally and I'm not sure I want to take a chance on it getting tipped over just because LG wanted to save a few cents worth of plastic on each stand by taking a bite out of it.

The Sony 32XBR9 base seemed much more stable and the picture quality was just as good (although the price, of course, was much higher). The smallest Samsung B650 on display was the 37" version. It seemed stable also, but although I have a Samsung 46A650 and love it dearly, I'm really starting to lean toward the Sony 32XBR9 for my smaller set.

Decisions, decisions...

Hey Stealthrida, can you please take a picture of the stand to help explain what BoilerJim is talking about?
mltk53 is offline  
post #29 of 118 Old 04-23-2009, 02:20 AM
Member
 
Chuny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltk53 View Post

Hey Stealthrida, can you please take a picture of the stand to help explain what BoilerJim is talking about?

Well, I'm not Stealthrida, but here's a pic of the stand from my 32lh40. As you can see, I don't have mine screwed down, as it is perfectly stable the way it is.

Chuny is offline  
post #30 of 118 Old 04-23-2009, 07:34 AM
Member
 
Winterpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have to admit I'm rooting for BoilerJim to select the Sony XBR9, as I want someone to be able to report first-hand viewing results (outside a showroom with its dodgy feeds and calibration). Then I could settle my own 32-inch quandary
Winterpool is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off