What causes flickering on a Sony LCD (during white screen or solid light colors)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-22-2009, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 40W4100. I was having some issues (made mid last year) so I swapped it out. The unit I got was made in January so I figured it would be good. It was but when I went to check for dead pixels (white screen via PS3) I noticed the unit flickered. It was a strobe life effect, almost like the flicker of an old movie projector.

I tried changing settings (I use cinema) and saw it was worse when power saving was low and more so when I switched to power save high. This is odd because I used power save low on the last unit. When I turned up the backlight to max the issue seemed much less (esp. if no power saving) but I never had to do that with my old unit. I took the flicker unit back to another since it was insanely distracting (and backlight up isn't how I like it, prefer it lower) after using a new surge protector/outlet but the unit I got also has the flicker! It may be a little less but the flicker/fluctuation is there, and I noticed it during the NCAA games today.

Can someone please help me out here? Both units with flicker are from Jan 2009 and I can't think of what hardware change Sony would make that would cause this! I don't want to return the unit (should be able to get an exchange but now it's just embarrassing) but I don't know what to do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-22-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Really, no one else has experienced this or has insight into the matter?
post #3 of 17 Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateeko View Post

Really, no one else has experienced this or has insight into the matter?

could be the auto dimiing feature. I dunno, maybe try going into options and turning off the light sensor.

Jay
post #4 of 17 Old 03-22-2009, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Doesn't make much a difference, if any. I can't think of anything except backlighting going wrong...
post #5 of 17 Old 03-22-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateeko View Post

Doesn't make much a difference, if any. I can't think of anything except backlighting going wrong...

yeah take it back and try another. You don't want to spend your hard earned cash on that.

Jay
post #6 of 17 Old 03-23-2009, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I've never seen this on my 32xbr6

the Insignia 32" set that i had that i returned did do what your describing, it was one of far too many reason why i returned it and got the 32xbr6

I do remember making it go away by turning down the backlight though, have you tried that?

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #7 of 17 Old 03-23-2009, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mine seems to go away when I turn UP the backlight, oddly enough. I'm on the second one that does that so I thought it may be normal in newer models but obviously that's not the case (good to hear because I thought I was going mad when the second one had the problem also).

Maybe there was a problem in shipping to the store?
post #8 of 17 Old 04-19-2009, 04:58 PM

I believe I have the same problem. I own a 40W4500, and placed a video of my screen flickering on youtube. I also found another video entry of the same problem.

I believe it is the CCFL bulbs or the power inverter problem.

Did you found any solution?
post #9 of 17 Old 05-17-2009, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Sadly the only solution was to return it. I swapped it out 3 times at the same store and they all had the problem. The second and then final return they made me open it up and demonstrate it in store so I can verify it was not just me who saw it. I only think it was a shipping problem since their entire batch had problems.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-17-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Amazon's customer reviews seem to be very good. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-KD...2586654&sr=8-1

It probably is a problem with the batch the store received. Try returning it for a full refund and buy it at another store.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-17-2009, 12:15 PM

i dont have a sony but i do have a toshiba that had the exact same issue the top 3rd of the screen would flicker on bright scenes they replaced the panel....
post #12 of 17 Old 05-17-2009, 12:38 PM

I made some videos of the flickering :

Is this the same as your's?

Note: Real life flickering is not as bad as it looks on most parts of the videos, never the less the camera captured the panel changes quite well.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-17-2009, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajumjoe View Post

I made some videos of the flickering :

Is this the same as your's?

Note: Real life flickering is not as bad as it looks on most parts of the videos, never the less the camera captured the panel changes quite well.

Wow that looks awful. Looks like a backlight problem. Return it asap. Maybe it was damaged when shipped to the store. You know how careless these people can be.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-17-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

Wow that looks awful. Looks like a backlight problem. Return it asap. Maybe it was damaged when shipped to the store. You know how careless these people can be.

Easier said than done. I've been trying to get this fixed since late January. It already went to Sony for repairs, but the technicians failed to repair it.

Edit: I also found another user with another video on youtube that had this same problem in Netherlands. He told me that Sony techs claimed this is normal and can't be fixed... How about that?
post #15 of 17 Old 05-17-2009, 06:11 PM

Yes take it back agree with others.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-17-2009, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajumjoe View Post

Easier said than done. I've been trying to get this fixed since late January. It already went to Sony for repairs, but the technicians failed to repair it.

Edit: I also found another user with another video on youtube that had this same problem in Netherlands. He told me that Sony techs claimed this is normal and can't be fixed... How about that?

Wow, hearing about this problem shocks me. I have a Samsung TV, but I've always liked those Sony Bravia TVs. I would've bought one if it weren't for their high prices. But seeing this thread is a major turn off. I'll have to think twice when I make my next TV purchase.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-19-2009, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

I exchanged mine out a few times and had the same problem on the replacements (not quite flickering like yours, it was more confined to columns on both sides about 2/5th the way in and 1/5th width thick) and just ended up returning it for money back. It was an ordeal and if you can get your money back I'd push for that hardcore. If not, I'd call Sony (or write a letter to your respective Sony headquarter) and demand money back or a new television replacement. It's rather unacceptable to have a product like that.

My guess to cause of damage was shipping (on the truck) because I had more than one unit with the same damage (had to be to the backlight because it was worse with power saving modes on).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page