post #361 of 1146 Old 10-20-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger View Post

my tv is 47lh30. I don't know there is a PC mode. I just go into the menu/video, and play with the different aspect ratio options: just scan, 16:9, cinema zoom, etc. Except "cinema zoom", all other options did not fill the whole screen right, either too small or too large.

Go to Menu > Option > Input Label

Name your input "PC".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1146 Old 10-20-2009, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus18 View Post

I would first try your local retailers and ask if they could make a deal for the display models. A lot easier than return shipping if is not to your liking. Most, if not all, displays are from the first "batch"

Which reatailers carried this TV? The only ones of note I have around me are Sams Club, Best Buy, Sears, and a Costco. No LG TVs seem to be showing up on Sams Club's site.
post #363 of 1146 Old 10-20-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk[421] View Post

so i dragged my PC across the room and hooked it up Saturday to watch a movie.

let me tell you - the way Win7 deals with audio is frustrating. took me a good 20 minutes to find the "digital out - ATI HDMI" cause it was disabled when i installed the card.
once i got that sorted, i had to play with it to get the screen filled ... just scan didn't do it - i had to use Cinema Zoom setting and play with it to get 1:1 mapping.

card is a Sapphire 4850, connected via 1.3a rated 2m HDMI from Parts Express.

1080p .mkv file looked quite nice.

It didn't fill my screen either you can fix this though by going to your ATI Catalyst and then going to "Desktops & Displays" then just below where it says "Please select a display" click on the arrow pointing down and then click "configure" click on "scaling options" tab, now move the underscan/overscan to fit your TV screen.
post #364 of 1146 Old 10-20-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamionR View Post

Almost forgot...

I went to Fry's today and went into the service menus for the 47LH30 & 32LH30 they had on display, both had LGD panels. They had no other LH30 series on the floor.

I really want a LGD 10-bit panel, think I'm going to go for one of those.

I'll post calibration results once I get it.

I have to kinda lol at this. But i was excited to see how well the LG 42LH30 was going to look. But i cant help to be more focused on checking the panel first to see what panel I'm getting thursday when it arrives. I ordered it from Amazon/J&R...
post #365 of 1146 Old 10-20-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpluse View Post

I have to kinda lol at this. But i was excited to see how well the LG 42LH30 was going to look. But i cant help to be more focused on checking the panel first to see what panel I'm getting thursday when it arrives. I ordered it from Amazon/J&R...

Sorry, I did not realize I was posting something funny.

Is the funny part that LG is sometimes using 8-bit AUO panels in their HDTVs while advertising they have 10-bit panels?
post #366 of 1146 Old 10-20-2009, 03:48 PM

no, lol only reason i quoted your post is because you are the only one with a good solid lead on where to find them. Why i lol is because before when i was looking for this tv, i was looking at the picture of the tv in fry's . Now instead i'm not so focused on the screen but im looking for the panel code first now. But i wont know until mine get's here anyway. Times have changed...
post #367 of 1146 Old 10-20-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I did not realize I was posting something funny.

Is the funny part that LG is sometimes using 8-bit AUO panels in their HDTVs while advertising they have 10-bit panels?

Dang, you'd think they'd at least have put a random letter at the end of the name or something.
post #368 of 1146 Old 10-20-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:

I checked. my recently bought 47lh30 is LGD panel! (bought from Fry's).
my firmware is 4.05, but your instruction also works. So far I have found 3 secret service menus:
(1) press remote 'enter' and tv 'enter' for 5 seconds
(2) press remote 'menu' and tv ''menu' for 5 seconds
(3) while you are at menu/option,press 'fav' for 7 times

too many settings in these service menus which I don't know what their use for and nervous to touch them. If any one have a service manual about how to adjust all these setting, it would be great.

enter + enter option works for me too.. Fw 4.05 believe or not, when I enter 'Tool 1' menu I can change maker of the panel, model, and size! Switching from LGD to AUO yields significantly darker image, default was LGD for me too.

Options are LGD, AUO, CMO and SHARP. So it is real panel lottery. CHI-MEI is definitely the worst out of these 4. And even worse, I don't think that they or SHARP make S-IPS panels for which LG is known. However, that does not imply all 4 are available on every TV set; it means simply there's at least one LG model that has AUO, CMO or SHARP.

BTW I am having problem with lip sync with 42LH30, anybody else in same boat? Connection cable box - HDMI w/ audio pass-through - 42LH30 - optical out - receiver yields lip sync on all cable channels.
post #369 of 1146 Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmortem View Post

BTW I am having problem with lip sync with 42LH30, anybody else in same boat? Connection cable box - HDMI w/ audio pass-through - 42LH30 - optical out - receiver yields lip sync on all cable channels.

Using the Menu + Menu settings menu, there is a setting for Lip Sync Adjust in the System menu. Have you tried to use this to see if it fixes your lip sync problems?
post #370 of 1146 Old 10-20-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:

Using the Menu + Menu settings menu, there is a setting for Lip Sync Adjust in the System menu. Have you tried to use this to see if it fixes your lip sync problems?

I haven't - LG is supposed to provide me with the fix. There might be newer firmware than 4.05.
post #371 of 1146 Old 10-20-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:

enter + enter option works for me too.. Fw 4.05 believe or not, when I enter 'Tool 1' menu I can change maker of the panel, model, and size! Switching from LGD to AUO yields significantly darker image, default was LGD for me too.

I tried this but a password prompt popped up on screen. Is there a password for the menu? I'm curious what model mine is but worried about tampering with it too much.
post #372 of 1146 Old 10-20-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJC View Post

I tried this but a password prompt popped up on screen. Is there a password for the menu? I'm curious what model mine is but worried about tampering with it too much.

I believe it was posted earlier, "0000".

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmortem View Post

Options are LGD, AUO, CMO and SHARP. So it is real panel lottery. CHI-MEI is definitely the worst out of these 4. And even worse, I don't think that they or SHARP make S-IPS panels for which LG is known. However, that does not imply all 4 are available on every TV set; it means simply there's at least one LG model that has AUO, CMO or SHARP.

What a shame.
post #373 of 1146 Old 10-21-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:

I believe it was posted earlier, "0000".

My 42LH30 appears to be an AUO, purchased through tigerdirect a month ago. If these AUOs are in fact lower quality than previous versions (8 bit vs 10 bit?), that probably explains the recent price drop that allowed me to nab one. You get what you pay for, I suppose...
post #374 of 1146 Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 AM

Has anyone noticed a "popping" sound when changing chanels on HDMI? i hear this randomly using my directv box connected via HDMI. It usually happens when it is going from type of resolution to another. i.e. 720P - 1080i. I contacted LG and they will be getting back to me...?

PSN:TKDFighter
Member TWW And $BUS clan...
post #375 of 1146 Old 10-21-2009, 09:42 AM

Liked: 11
black crash?
I heard quite a few complaints about the black level of this TV. But to me, it seems opposite, when I watch bluray movie on the TV thru HDMI connect to a bluray player, I found it is too dark in the shadow, and I have to keep raising the bright level and reducing contrast in order to see the more details in the shadow area. I have already turned off all the dynamic contrast control. This is particular obvious when watching bluray. When I watch HDTV programs, there is no such issue. Did anyone have similar experience? and how to fix it? (setting adjust?) Thanks.
post #376 of 1146 Old 10-21-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:

black crash?
I heard quite a few complaints about the black level of this TV. But to me, it seems opposite, when I watch bluray movie on the TV thru HDMI connect to a bluray player, I found it is too dark in the shadow, and I have to keep raising the bright level and reducing contrast in order to see the more details in the shadow area. I have already turned off all the dynamic contrast control. This is particular obvious when watching bluray. When I watch HDTV programs, there is no such issue. Did anyone have similar experience? and how to fix it? (setting adjust?) Thanks.

The blacks were crushing on my set no matter the feed.
post #377 of 1146 Old 10-21-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:

The blacks were crushing on my set no matter the feed.

What did you do to improve it?
Do you think the black crush issue will be better if I replace this TV with a Sony or Samsung, or Toshiba one?
post #378 of 1146 Old 10-21-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:

What did you do to improve it?
Do you think the black crush issue will be better if I replace this TV with a Sony or Samsung, or Toshiba one?

Nothing. The problem was the panel itself, not the settings. Im not sure about Sony or Tosh, but Samsung also has a panel lottery. So, you may end up with one that does if you were to go with a Sammy.
post #379 of 1146 Old 10-22-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Nothing. The problem was the panel itself, not the settings. Im not sure about Sony or Tosh, but Samsung also has a panel lottery. So, you may end up with one that does if you were to go with a Sammy.

So you imply the black crush is due to AUO panel? but my TV panel is the LGD panel, and still have the black crush. I wonder all the LG TVs have worse black crush issue than say Samsung or SONY?

Is there any other people want to share their experience with the black crush issue, or the opinion about LG vs other brands for black crush?
post #380 of 1146 Old 10-22-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:

So you imply the black crush is due to AUO panel? but my TV panel is the LGD panel, and still have the black crush. I wonder all the LG TVs have worse black crush issue than say Samsung or SONY?

Is there any other people want to share their experience with the black crush issue, or the opinion about LG vs other brands for black crush?

Thats odd. With my older LH30, the blacks did not crush. Just the set I had purchased recently experienced this issue.
post #381 of 1146 Old 10-23-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:

My 42LH30 (AUO panel) had the blacks crushed. I primarily use mine for a PC display, so I was able to calibrate it and compensate for the crushed blacks via the ICC color profile. For my purposes as a PC display I think it makes a damn fine display for gaming with no noticeable lag and moderately accurate colors once calibrated with a colorimeter.
post #382 of 1146 Old 10-23-2009, 05:05 AM

It has arrived. The panel is a AUO. I have either one stuck pixel or dead one. Have to google to know the difference since this is my first LCD. Other then that my stand seem a little bent, not fully leveled but i guess that can be fixed with a replacement stand. But the quilty of the picture looks very nice. Without changing any setting. Looks great with my popcorn hour. The enter+Enter for 5 sec 0's for password worked to get into tool info. But was so tired could not find the firmware i had. But i wont downgrade, just wanted to see what panel model I had.
post #383 of 1146 Old 10-23-2009, 05:38 PM

Black crush issue solved
I did more tests last night for the black crush issue. This time I got a DVE calibration disc. When I displayed the DVE pattern for brightness adjust (which has three strips representing 4% above black, 2% above black, and below black, respectively), I found the TV only showed the strip for 4% above black, the other two strips did not showed up no matter how I adjust the brightness. No wonder I got the black crush problem!!! This is definitely not right! Next, I flipped around the TV settings trying to find the root cause. Finally I discovered this was caused by the "black level" setting in expert menu. my black level was set to "low" (according to most of the settings posted in this thread), when I switched it to "high", those two missing strips showed up!! Wow, this setting has a lot effects on the picture, and of cause now I need to redo all the calibration. After everything was readjusted, I put in a bluray (Transformer), now I can see much more details in the black shadow, it definitely improved the black crush issue. ON the other hand, setting the black level to "high" also make the black a bit brighter, I dialed down the brightness and raised the contrast to compensate for this. The overall picture is better than before, especially the shadow details which I could not see before no matter how I adjusted. I also want to pointed out that this setting (black level) is only adjustable when the input is set to HDMI (or maybe component, or PC RGB D-SUB, I didn't try), When the input is TV for regular HDTV watch, this setting is grayed out (set to auto).

Below are the new settings:

backlight: adjust to what you like
Contrast: 100
brightness: 35 for video input source, 51 for RGB input source
sharp: 53
color: 65

dynamic contrast: low (to compensate the black, if you don't like, set it to "off")
black level: high ---- important!!!!!!
gamma: medium (or "high" to see which one you like)
color gumlt: wide
color temperature: medium,
All white balance and color settings are defaults.

Have fun trying them out and report back what's your impression.
post #384 of 1146 Old 10-25-2009, 11:38 PM

Have lag tests been done on the AUO panel? The low input lag (and price) are attractive for this set. I'm considering picking it up for an hypothetical arcade cabinet prject so it'd be used mostly for gaming, so a bit of loss of image quality wouldn't be a deal breaker. If the lag isn't as good though, there would be no point.
post #385 of 1146 Old 10-27-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnorok64 View Post

Have lag tests been done on the AUO panel? The low input lag (and price) are attractive for this set. I'm considering picking it up for an hypothetical arcade cabinet prject so it'd be used mostly for gaming, so a bit of loss of image quality wouldn't be a deal breaker. If the lag isn't as good though, there would be no point.

I'm curious on this too - thanks in advance to anyone who can give feedback!
post #386 of 1146 Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 PM

My laptop doesn't have HDMI/DVI-out, so I bought an external USB 2.0 Display Adapter HDMI/DVI w/Audio converter to output good video/audio. When I hook up the HDMI cable to HDMI3 and the red and white RCA audio cables to the AV2 input on the side of the TV, I get a great picture but no sound. I'm sure this is because the TV normally gets audio from the HDMI input when connected, but how can I change it to receive video from HDMI3 and audio from AV2?

I could have sworn someone else posted this exact same problem in this thread, but I can't find the post. I've read through all of the pages of this thread quite a few times in the past few months and searched the rest of the forum for any help on how to fix this...no luck. I checked the TV menu and didn't see a section where I could change the input settings.

I've thought about getting a Y-cable (RCA to 3.5mm) and hooking up the RCA-side to the USB adapter and the 3.5mm-side to the RGB/DVI in, but I have two HDMI cables connected to the TV (one from the cable box to HDMI1 and the other is from the USB adapter to HDMI3). Would this type of setup override the HDMI audio on HDMI1 and HDMI3?

There's got to be another way to do this or some setting that can be changed...any help is much appreciated.
post #387 of 1146 Old 10-29-2009, 02:30 PM

I went to BEST BUY with my Xbox 360 and tested the LG 32LH30 and a Panasonic tc-l32x1.
I played Call of duty 4 to see if there was input lag, but on the LG the audio lagged! yeah lip sync problem, but it was a display set so it probably doesn't have the new firmware does it?
Does LG provide a fix for free with the lip sync problem????

Oh and the panasonic seemed GOOD in regards to INPUT LAG I was yet to play on a tv that lagged but this one i couldn't notice it Its probably somewhere along ~20 ms the panasonic
post #388 of 1146 Old 10-29-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp Zero View Post

Oh and the panasonic seemed GOOD in regards to INPUT LAG I was yet to play on a tv that lagged but this one i couldn't notice it Its probably somewhere along ~20 ms the panasonic

I have the C12 (similar to X1) and its okay lag-wise, but the LG does beat it (especially with HDMI port labeled "PC")
post #389 of 1146 Old 10-30-2009, 09:18 AM

Im building a Custom vewlix arcade cabinet and need an almost lagless 32" lcd VIA VGA input

how sthe 32lh30?
post #390 of 1146 Old 10-30-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardbodycore View Post

Im building a Custom vewlix arcade cabinet and need an almost lagless 32" lcd VIA VGA input

how sthe 32lh30?

Very good. One thing to consider right now, though is that newer sets have crappier panels in them that are resulting is worse picture quality and motion blur. I've yet to see any tests as to whether or not this has affected the low lag in these sets.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page