AVS Forum banner

Lg xxlh30

306K views 1K replies 294 participants last post by  Av8or1ab 
#1 ·
Anyone seen one of these yet? I'm in the market for a 40/42" LCD and this one made my list.

#352 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamionR /forum/post/17383039

It depends on the firmware you have. My firmware is v3.15, press and hold the ENTER button the remote and on the side of the set at the same time for 5 seconds. A Menu should come up. Enter 0000 for the password. Goto Tool Option1 and look for the "Maker" field. That shows you which panel you have.

Press Return to exit.

I've heard pressing the FAV button 7 times on the remote brings up the menu on other firmware versions, but this is unverified by me.

Also, read the thread for more info on enabling the USB port for MP3/JPEG/Movie playback.

I checked. my recently bought 47lh30 is LGD panel! (bought from Fry's).

my firmware is 4.05, but your instruction also works. So far I have found 3 secret service menus:

(1) press remote 'enter' and tv 'enter' for 5 seconds

(2) press remote 'menu' and tv ''menu' for 5 seconds

(3) while you are at menu/option,press 'fav' for 7 times

too many settings in these service menus which I don't know what their use for and nervous to touch them. If any one have a service manual about how to adjust all these setting, it would be great.

#353 ·
Almost forgot...

I went to Fry's today and went into the service menus for the 47LH30 & 32LH30 they had on display, both had LGD panels. They had no other LH30 series on the floor.

I really want a LGD 10-bit panel, think I'm going to go for one of those.

I'll post calibration results once I get it.

#354 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamionR /forum/post/17385141

Yes, they are for the PC, not sure how they would fair for TV viewing, but I'd wager a guess that the calibrated settings would be better than the presets.

Also, the older settings in this thread were for my old 42LH30 that I took back. This newer one has the same AUO panel, but it calibrated differently.

The settings are as follows:

Aspect Ratio: Just Scan

Backlight: 19

Contrast: 96

Brightness: 4

H Sharpness: 47

V Sharpness 48

Color 50

Tint 0

Expert Control Settings:

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Noise Reduction: Off

Gamma: Medium

Black Level: Low

Color Gamut: Standard

Edge Enhancer: Off

White Balance: Warm

Method: 10 point IRE

IRE: 100

Luminance: 130

Red (130nit): 0

Green (130nit): -9

Blue (130nit): 6

Color Management System is all set to 0

what are the pc video card setting for this? All at default? I guess if my video card setting is different, then the above numbers would not work, right?

#355 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger /forum/post/17385158

my firmware is 4.05, but your instruction also works. So far I have found 3 secret service menus:

too many settings in these service menus which I don't know what their use for and nervous to touch them. If any one have a service manual about how to adjust all these setting, it would be great.

Nice find! It's good to know that there is a Lip Sync adjustment in there. Some might find that handy.

#356 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger /forum/post/17385176

what are the pc video card setting for this? All at default? I guess if my video card setting is different, then the above numbers would not work, right?

Yea, you'd need to calibrate it with a colorimeter for these settings to be useful to you. My ICC color profile is working in tandem with these settings to get accurate color. Also, with just 2 samples of the 42LH30 I've used, they varied a lot in the changes needed to calibrate them.

#357 ·
so i dragged my PC across the room and hooked it up Saturday to watch a movie.

let me tell you - the way Win7 deals with audio is frustrating. took me a good 20 minutes to find the "digital out - ATI HDMI" cause it was disabled when i installed the card.

once i got that sorted, i had to play with it to get the screen filled ... just scan didn't do it - i had to use Cinema Zoom setting and play with it to get 1:1 mapping.

card is a Sapphire 4850, connected via 1.3a rated 2m HDMI from Parts Express.

1080p .mkv file looked quite nice.

#358 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk[421] /forum/post/17385578

let me tell you - the way Win7 deals with audio is frustrating. took me a good 20 minutes to find the "digital out - ATI HDMI" cause it was disabled when i installed the card.

once i got that sorted, i had to play with it to get the screen filled ... just scan didn't do it - i had to use Cinema Zoom setting and play with it to get 1:1 mapping.

I have an ATI 4350 card, I noticed the same thing: "Just Scan" didn't fill the whole screen when I set video card to output 1920x1080. I have two choices: (1)set video card output at 1920x1080, and use "Cinema Zoom" on TV instead of "Just Scan" to get full screen. or (2) Set TV at "Just Scan", and adjust ATI card output custom resolution to fit the full screen (1920x1076 is good to fill full screen in my machine). My question is : which method is better? I have no idea.

#359 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger /forum/post/17386854

I have an ATI 4350 card, I noticed the same thing: "Just Scan" didn't fill the whole screen when I set video card to output 1920x1080. I have two choices: (1)set video card output at 1920x1080, and use "Cinema Zoom" on TV instead of "Just Scan" to get full screen. or (2) Set TV at "Just Scan", and adjust ATI card output custom resolution to fit the full screen (1920x1076 is good to fill full screen in my machine). My question is : which method is better? I have no idea.

That's odd. I also have an ATI 4350. I'm using Windows Vista and have no problem setting the screen to 1920x1080 with Catalyst. I have the LG in PC mode, which locks the aspect ratio to 16:9. I also set Catalyst to have 0% overscan.

#360 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/17386983

That's odd. I also have an ATI 4350. I'm using Windows Vista and have no problem setting the screen to 1920x1080 with Catalyst. I have the LG in PC mode, which locks the aspect ratio to 16:9. I also set Catalyst to have 0% overscan.

my tv is 47lh30. I don't know there is a PC mode. I just go into the menu/video, and play with the different aspect ratio options: just scan, 16:9, cinema zoom, etc. Except "cinema zoom", all other options did not fill the whole screen right, either too small or too large.

#361 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger /forum/post/17387120

my tv is 47lh30. I don't know there is a PC mode. I just go into the menu/video, and play with the different aspect ratio options: just scan, 16:9, cinema zoom, etc. Except "cinema zoom", all other options did not fill the whole screen right, either too small or too large.

Go to Menu > Option > Input Label

Name your input "PC".

#362 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus18 /forum/post/17382575

I would first try your local retailers and ask if they could make a deal for the display models. A lot easier than return shipping if is not to your liking. Most, if not all, displays are from the first "batch"

Which reatailers carried this TV? The only ones of note I have around me are Sams Club, Best Buy, Sears, and a Costco. No LG TVs seem to be showing up on Sams Club's site.

#363 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk[421] /forum/post/17385578

It didn't fill my screen either you can fix this though by going to your ATI Catalyst and then going to "Desktops & Displays" then just below where it says "Please select a display" click on the arrow pointing down and then click "configure" click on "scaling options" tab, now move the underscan/overscan to fit your TV screen.

#364 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamionR /forum/post/17385169

Almost forgot...

I went to Fry's today and went into the service menus for the 47LH30 & 32LH30 they had on display, both had LGD panels. They had no other LH30 series on the floor.

I really want a LGD 10-bit panel, think I'm going to go for one of those.

I'll post calibration results once I get it.

I have to kinda lol at this. But i was excited to see how well the LG 42LH30 was going to look. But i cant help to be more focused on checking the panel first to see what panel I'm getting thursday when it arrives. I ordered it from Amazon/J&R...

#365 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpluse /forum/post/17389280

I have to kinda lol at this. But i was excited to see how well the LG 42LH30 was going to look. But i cant help to be more focused on checking the panel first to see what panel I'm getting thursday when it arrives. I ordered it from Amazon/J&R...

Sorry, I did not realize I was posting something funny.

Is the funny part that LG is sometimes using 8-bit AUO panels in their HDTVs while advertising they have 10-bit panels?

#366 ·
no, lol only reason i quoted your post is because you are the only one with a good solid lead on where to find them. Why i lol is because before when i was looking for this tv, i was looking at the picture of the tv in fry's . Now instead i'm not so focused on the screen but im looking for the panel code first now. But i wont know until mine get's here anyway. Times have changed...

#368 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger /forum/post/17385158

enter + enter option works for me too.. Fw 4.05 believe or not, when I enter 'Tool 1' menu I can change maker of the panel, model, and size! Switching from LGD to AUO yields significantly darker image, default was LGD for me too.

Options are LGD, AUO, CMO and SHARP. So it is real panel lottery. CHI-MEI is definitely the worst out of these 4. And even worse, I don't think that they or SHARP make S-IPS panels for which LG is known. However, that does not imply all 4 are available on every TV set; it means simply there's at least one LG model that has AUO, CMO or SHARP.

BTW I am having problem with lip sync with 42LH30, anybody else in same boat? Connection cable box - HDMI w/ audio pass-through - 42LH30 - optical out - receiver yields lip sync on all cable channels.

#369 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmortem /forum/post/17390509

BTW I am having problem with lip sync with 42LH30, anybody else in same boat? Connection cable box - HDMI w/ audio pass-through - 42LH30 - optical out - receiver yields lip sync on all cable channels.

Using the Menu + Menu settings menu, there is a setting for Lip Sync Adjust in the System menu. Have you tried to use this to see if it fixes your lip sync problems?

#371 ·

Quote:
enter + enter option works for me too.. Fw 4.05 believe or not, when I enter 'Tool 1' menu I can change maker of the panel, model, and size! Switching from LGD to AUO yields significantly darker image, default was LGD for me too.

I tried this but a password prompt popped up on screen. Is there a password for the menu? I'm curious what model mine is but worried about tampering with it too much.

#372 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJC /forum/post/17391484

I tried this but a password prompt popped up on screen. Is there a password for the menu? I'm curious what model mine is but worried about tampering with it too much.

I believe it was posted earlier, "0000".

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmortem /forum/post/17390509

Options are LGD, AUO, CMO and SHARP. So it is real panel lottery. CHI-MEI is definitely the worst out of these 4. And even worse, I don't think that they or SHARP make S-IPS panels for which LG is known. However, that does not imply all 4 are available on every TV set; it means simply there's at least one LG model that has AUO, CMO or SHARP.

What a shame.

#374 ·
Has anyone noticed a "popping" sound when changing chanels on HDMI? i hear this randomly using my directv box connected via HDMI. It usually happens when it is going from type of resolution to another. i.e. 720P - 1080i. I contacted LG and they will be getting back to me...?

#375 ·
black crash?

I heard quite a few complaints about the black level of this TV. But to me, it seems opposite, when I watch bluray movie on the TV thru HDMI connect to a bluray player, I found it is too dark in the shadow, and I have to keep raising the bright level and reducing contrast in order to see the more details in the shadow area. I have already turned off all the dynamic contrast control. This is particular obvious when watching bluray. When I watch HDTV programs, there is no such issue. Did anyone have similar experience? and how to fix it? (setting adjust?) Thanks.

#376 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger /forum/post/17393553

black crash?

I heard quite a few complaints about the black level of this TV. But to me, it seems opposite, when I watch bluray movie on the TV thru HDMI connect to a bluray player, I found it is too dark in the shadow, and I have to keep raising the bright level and reducing contrast in order to see the more details in the shadow area. I have already turned off all the dynamic contrast control. This is particular obvious when watching bluray. When I watch HDTV programs, there is no such issue. Did anyone have similar experience? and how to fix it? (setting adjust?) Thanks.

The blacks were crushing on my set no matter the feed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.