Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1146 Old 11-21-2009, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuctfuct View Post

Is there anyway to tell from the box if it has the LG panel? I want/need to buy a gaming only 32 inch screen this weekend. Its almost impossible to find guaranteed low lag tv. Whatever happened to just going to a store and buying a tv without researching for 10 years! lol

Look at the first 3 digits of the Serial number on the sticker on the box. Try and shoot for something lowe that 906 (9= 2009, 06=June), as it seems June is when people think the AUO switch happened.

That's my plan anyway. And I'd wait till Black Friday at Bestbuy if I were you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1146 Old 11-21-2009, 12:05 PM

I have read this entire thread. It looks like I should have read all the way to the end before I ran out and bought my LG32H30 model. I had a Vizio that couldn't do text so I sold it to my mom based off KVM's reviews and that he seemed to be even more picky then myself.

I was happy, it does text really well. Now I learn reading further in the thread that LG has did the famous panel switch. My models date is just October 2009 so there is a good chance I have the AUO Panel. This was the last LG32H my BB store had in stock.

I'm really bummed. I bought this to use 100% as a monitor/PC game machine. Mostly MMO's or the occasional RPG. I've only tried Dragon Age so far and I haven't noticed any blur. I'm tempted to call HHGreg and see whats the date on their panels in stock but I'm so tired of TV/Monitor hunting.

So far I love it, but I haven't tried any hard core games. I really wanted a LG S-IPS panel. Anyone have another model that is low lag and does text really well?

I thought about swapping it out for the LG32H40 but I saw in the thread those panels have also been swapped out for AUO panels.
post #543 of 1146 Old 11-21-2009, 12:22 PM

Hey, on a slightly weird note, I'm looking at buying a 32LH30, but I'm a little leery of that LED power light indicator on the lower right. Is it bright/annoying/noticeable while watching TV? A photo would be nice
post #544 of 1146 Old 11-21-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post

Hey, on a slightly weird note, I'm looking at buying a 32LH30, but I'm a little leery of that LED power light indicator on the lower right. Is it bright/annoying/noticeable while watching TV? A photo would be nice

u can just turn it off in the tv menu. works great

pic added

power indicator is in the lower right where that curved protruding part of the lower bezel is.

post #545 of 1146 Old 11-21-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haste View Post

u can just turn it off in the tv menu. works great

pic added

power indicator is in the lower right where that curved protruding part of the lower bezel is.

Ahh, thanks, I see it now...I looked through an online version of the manual but somehow missed it the first time Cheers for the pic too by the way, and props for helping to keep IRC alive
post #546 of 1146 Old 11-21-2009, 02:35 PM

I'm on my 3rd LG47LH30 from Frys.com. The first one had a very noticeable (when the volume is low/muted) "hum" coming from a lamp or something; the service guy said he could replace the screen, but that was no guarantee the hum would go away. He also showed me that the hum would go away when the contrast/brightness setting were modified, but that didn't seem like a good fix, and it was still intermittently noticeable

Since I was well within my 30 days, I had Fry's send another one out to me. This one didn't seem to have the hum - but was cracked on the side bezel because it was probably dropped. Got a third one today and - though it's in excellent condition, there's still a hum

Anyone else notice that with this model? Can you recommend a fix?
post #547 of 1146 Old 11-21-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyboy6924 View Post

I think the black level is just fine but I am no expert on the subject by any means. I only owned one LCD HDTV before this one (a Westinghouse 30 inch) and that one still looks and sounds fine after almost 4 years. I suggest heading to some brick and mortar stores and checking it out for yourself.

As for the standard definition channels they look okay to me although admittedly I rarely watch such channels anymore.

-PN

couldn't agree with him more on this.. I'm not a huge 'black level' fanatic. True the blacks on my SONY WEGA i'm selling were a bit better.. i.e. when you're watching a movie and it has black bars on the top and bottom its not nearly as black as the tv frame around it , so the black surely isn't pure deep black as some of the tvs.. But it wasn't the worst that i saw on best buys wall either.. i'd agree with paulie, this is such a subjective thing, you should really head over to a BB if you have one nearby that carries this tv and check it out for yourself, what one person says is great another might say sucks.. Its my first real LCD tv, i've only owned LCD monitors previous to it.. so my feedback might not be suitable, but i'm pretty happy with the tv so far
post #548 of 1146 Old 11-21-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyboy6924 View Post

Thanks Jinx! That works! :-)

Mine says exactly the same thing that yours does. Now I just have to find out if that's the most recent software version or if there's something newer. Time to search this thread again or just call LG.

In your other post you mentioned the sound being fine and I couldn't agree more. Obviously you can do much better with a home theater system but the built-in sound is more than adequate. So I don't really understand what all the complaints about the sound are either.

By the way, I noticed the price at newegg is back up to almost $1200 so we got this at the right time. I can't believe I got a TV of this quality for $830! :-)

-PN

Totally!! I saw just 2 days after that the price was 'different' and i was like, wiat a second, i didnt pay that? I was actually pretty happy i jumped when I did, now more so than not.. 811 shipped is definately a great deal on this tv! espically when at the beginning of this thread people were happily paying 700 ish for the 37 inch version!

And the sound has been treating me fine... granted i dont know what i'm missing... but Maybe the samller units use smaller speakers and get less performance out of them?
post #549 of 1146 Old 11-21-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulypoover View Post

I'm on my 3rd LG47LH30 from Frys.com. The first one had a very noticeable (when the volume is low/muted) "hum" coming from a lamp or something; the service guy said he could replace the screen, but that was no guarantee the hum would go away. He also showed me that the hum would go away when the contrast/brightness setting were modified, but that didn't seem like a good fix, and it was still intermittently noticeable

Since I was well within my 30 days, I had Fry's send another one out to me. This one didn't seem to have the hum - but was cracked on the side bezel because it was probably dropped. Got a third one today and - though it's in excellent condition, there's still a hum

Anyone else notice that with this model? Can you recommend a fix?

When i turn mine on and it has no input on sselected input, the only noise i hear is white noise from the speakers.. No real 'hum' from the tv, certainly nothing i'd hear over a movie or game?

same model as yours..
post #550 of 1146 Old 11-21-2009, 04:18 PM

Question for others, would it be a bad idea to game in the 'standard' setting mode? I like the brightness and sharpness it provides.. I could lower the backlight to 60 or 50 if need be, but i'm not sure if its dangerous to game on lcd's with a setting such as standard.. I know people always say never watch tv or game on the 'showroom' settings, and i'd NEVER use vivid..(too much for me). But i want to avoid burn in while i'm playing.. Though i do understand LCD's are better than plasma's for no burn in right?
post #551 of 1146 Old 11-21-2009, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post

couldn't agree with him more on this.. I'm not a huge 'black level' fanatic. True the blacks on my SONY WEGA i'm selling were a bit better.. i.e. when you're watching a movie and it has black bars on the top and bottom its not nearly as black as the tv frame around it , so the black surely isn't pure deep black as some of the tvs.. But it wasn't the worst that i saw on best buys wall either.. i'd agree with paulie, this is such a subjective thing, you should really head over to a BB if you have one nearby that carries this tv and check it out for yourself, what one person says is great another might say sucks.. Its my first real LCD tv, i've only owned LCD monitors previous to it.. so my feedback might not be suitable, but i'm pretty happy with the tv so far

I disagree with you there Jinx. I checked this unit at best buy today. It was sitting next to the Samsung LNB550, with Sony s5100 on top and V5100 bottom. I checked from every angle and this set is weak on black level and contrast but has very good colors. The other units have deep blacks and whites are really white vs. the LG. The samsung was the best of the bunch. I already have a Samsung and really wanted to buy another brand and was really set on the LG. After personally seeing this unit, I don't think I can live with the blacks nor the lower contrast. Yes, I didn't check it at my own viewing environment but since every pro review I have read on the LG unit felt the black is weak, I don't think one could change that by calibrating at home. I like the Sonys a lot but got scared by the auto dim issue. It is probably is fixed by now but I couldn't be sure. In the end I got tired looking around and bought the Samsung LN40B550.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #552 of 1146 Old 11-21-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

I disagree with you there Jinx. I checked this unit at best buy today. It was sitting next to the Samsung LNB550, with Sony s5100 on top and V5100 bottom. I checked from every angle and this set is weak on black level and contrast but has very good colors. The other units have deep blacks and whites are really white vs. the LG. The samsung was the best of the bunch. I already have a Samsung and really wanted to buy another brand and was really set on the LG. After personally seeing this unit, I don't think I can live with the blacks nor the lower contrast. Yes, I didn't check it at my own viewing environment but since every pro review I have read on the LG unit felt the black is weak, I don't think one could change that by calibrating at home. I like the Sonys a lot but got scared by the auto dim issue. It is probably is fixed by now but I couldn't be sure. In the end I got tired looking around and bought the Samsung LN40B550.

Lol you disagree with me saying that everyone should check on their own becuase its subjective and you just proved my point? lol.. the samsung LED tv i saw compared to the lg was DARK and did NOT have the same bright whites.. but what you see is not what I see. I can't state it any better than that.
post #553 of 1146 Old 11-21-2009, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol you disagree with me saying that everyone should check on their own becuase its subjective and you just proved my point? lol.. the samsung LED tv i saw compared to the lg was DARK and did NOT have the same bright whites.. but what you see is not what I see. I can't state it any better than that.

No, I did not agree with you for saying that everyone should check on their own but I disagree with your overall assessment of the black level and the bright white. While you can argue this is subjective, this unit has tested well below even the 3 series Samsung let alone the 5 series, LOL. The LG LH30 black level measured 0.32 cd/m2 while the Samsung LN360 measured .09cd/m2. The LG LH30 contrast measured 1075:1 while the Samsung LN360 measured 4453:1.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...p;-Whites.htm#

And you think the Samsung is dark compared to the LG and black level on the LG isn't poor. Well, the measurements prove you wrong not to mention countless of user and pro reviews. Anyways, I am not trying to argue here, you are happy with you have and that is what counts. I am just letting others know the shortcoming of this set on two very important characteristics of what makes a great picture, black level and contrast. I have moved on....Good luck to all!

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #554 of 1146 Old 11-21-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post

I was happy, it does text really well. Now I learn reading further in the thread that LG has did the famous panel switch.

So far I love it, but I haven't tried any hard core games. I really wanted a LG S-IPS panel. Anyone have another model that is low lag and does text really well?

you should at least give this one a chance before you start worrying. if you love the picture and haven't noticed any lag, is there really a problem? give it a workout with the most demanding games you've got, try some 480i ones if you can, then you can judge the panel you've got as good or bad. let us know how it holds up with the lag
post #555 of 1146 Old 11-21-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulux View Post

you should at least give this one a chance before you start worrying. if you love the picture and haven't noticed any lag, is there really a problem? give it a workout with the most demanding games you've got, try some 480i ones if you can, then you can judge the panel you've got as good or bad. let us know how it holds up with the lag

Hehe thanks Romulux. I'm not really a hard core gamer. I play MMO's when there is one worth playing. Waiting on SWTOR right now. In the mean time I only have Dragon Age to test. I am not all that familar with how motion blur looks. I'm assuming its choppy or the screen lags. I think I have experienced it in the past and assumed my PC needed upgrading lol.

Since I'm not an expert, its pretty much why I went for a non troubled TV. I will look into testing it. I have 44 days left before I have to return it.
post #556 of 1146 Old 11-22-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

No, I did not agree with you for saying that everyone should check on their own but I disagree with your overall assessment of the black level and the bright white. While you can argue this is subjective, this unit has tested well below even the 3 series Samsung let alone the 5 series, LOL. The LG LH30 black level measured 0.32 cd/m2 while the Samsung LN360 measured .09cd/m2. The LG LH30 contrast measured 1075:1 while the Samsung LN360 measured 4453:1.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...p;-Whites.htm#

And you think the Samsung is dark compared to the LG and black level on the LG isn't poor. Well, the measurements prove you wrong not to mention countless of user and pro reviews. Anyways, I am not trying to argue here, you are happy with you have and that is what counts. I am just letting others know the shortcoming of this set on two very important characteristics of what makes a great picture, black level and contrast. I have moved on....Good luck to all!

Well these tests you posted are on a 37 inch, which could be any panel under the box, and if you've followed this thread the AUO's are not faring as well as the LGD's mine's an LGD and i think its fine. I also never made any assesment about the bright whites prior to your comment about dissagreeing with me and merely stated it wasn't the worst that i had saw, so unless you're saying its absolutely the worst tv i'm not sure where the big 'disagreement 'came from, it just seems wierd that you can disagree with how i feel about my tv, but you can feel what you want all day long i guess, I dont really care.
post #557 of 1146 Old 11-22-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:

Question for others, would it be a bad idea to game in the 'standard' setting mode? I like the brightness and sharpness it provides.. I could lower the backlight to 60 or 50 if need be, but i'm not sure if its dangerous to game on lcd's with a setting such as standard.. I know people always say never watch tv or game on the 'showroom' settings, and i'd NEVER use vivid..(too much for me). But i want to avoid burn in while i'm playing.. Though i do understand LCD's are better than plasma's for no burn in right?

it wont hurt the tv at all to use "standard" for gaming.
post #558 of 1146 Old 11-22-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haste View Post

it wont hurt the tv at all to use "standard" for gaming.

Okay cool cool.. I just remember with my CRT they said NEVER play it on VIVID or most 'showroom' lighting options becuase it would burn stuff in quick.. And the 'standard' mode on this is WAAAY brighter than the expert modes and movie mode (which look dull and dingy to me but hey thats personal pref right).

Thanks for the info
post #559 of 1146 Old 11-23-2009, 03:12 PM

soo....lh30 or a samsung b530??
post #560 of 1146 Old 11-23-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 31
How are you guys finding-out what Panel make you have? I tried the instructions in the thread, but when I go into tool option-1 I get a series of numbers 20609 with no other option.

post #561 of 1146 Old 11-23-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram10 View Post

soo....lh30 or a samsung b530??

I would go with the sammy. I miss my a650 after watching the LG for a few days. The PQ is not as sharp and way too light for my taste. JMO...
post #562 of 1146 Old 11-24-2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman25 View Post

I would go with the sammy. I miss my a650 after watching the LG for a few days. The PQ is not as sharp and way too light for my taste. JMO...

I'd probably agree the samsungs have great picture! espically if you're not a picky gamer or not going to hook it up to a PC where you might notice the mouse lag...

on the other hand, coming from a 3 year old CRT i.. LOVE... my new LG LCD TV

nother question.. any of you guys who are using the hacked HD DIVX option having any issues with it? mine is buggy as ALL fuss.. Half the stuff i download (Which works on my computer) doesnt work in the usb player, alot of it shuts down the tv after it finishes playing or i touch anything.. the menus start to get all 'rainybowy' distorted.. It just does not like something.. Granted i'm greatful for the files it can play, i just have a lot of trouble with it..
post #563 of 1146 Old 11-24-2009, 07:36 AM

I just bought the 47LH30 @ HH Gregg over the weekend and I'm very happy with it so far but I'm having a hell of a time getting 100% smooth video from it with my HTPC with a Radeon 4550 over HDMI. Can anyone who is using this particular set with an HTPC recommend some good settings (resolution, tv settings, CCC, etc) for me please?

Right now I have the input set to blu-ray with cinema mode on (off judders BADLY). CCC is set to use auto deinterlace with detect 3:2 pulldown on. It looks pretty damned good, but it's not perfect.

Thanks in advance.

FYI: Mine has a 10/09 build date and I cannot access the service menu with any of the methods described in this thread.

- Keith
post #564 of 1146 Old 11-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnorok64 View Post

Black Friday is excluded from their price guarantee.

Oh sorry.Plus one for HHG. From what i have seen none of the bix box stores are having the LH30s on a big sale.

PN58B860

TCP50GT50

post #565 of 1146 Old 11-25-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkozma View Post

I just bought the 47LH30 @ HH Gregg over the weekend and I'm very happy with it so far but I'm having a hell of a time getting 100% smooth video from it with my HTPC with a Radeon 4550 over HDMI. Can anyone who is using this particular set with an HTPC recommend some good settings (resolution, tv settings, CCC, etc) for me please?

Right now I have the input set to blu-ray with cinema mode on (off judders BADLY). CCC is set to use auto deinterlace with detect 3:2 pulldown on. It looks pretty damned good, but it's not perfect.

Thanks in advance.

FYI: Mine has a 10/09 build date and I cannot access the service menu with any of the methods described in this thread.

you're holding down enter on the remote and enter on the tv at the same time right? hold it for a while, it may seem like more than 5 secnods, but it takes a bit.. also the way the buttons are layed out on the side of the tv, its easy to hit the wrong button, make sure you're hitting the exact ones. my tv is only 2 months older than yours and mine worked fine, i suppose its possible you got the newest firmware and it was disabled.

Question, is your video perfectly smooth when you watch a dvd or blu-ray movie via some other source than your pc? I'm not sure what issues would be cuased by some video cards are very picky about this kind of stuff.. i hear Nvidia is better for going to tv's? anyone else?
post #566 of 1146 Old 11-25-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi im drummer03 View Post

Oh sorry.Plus one for HHG. From what i have seen none of the bix box stores are having the LH30s on a big sale.

Best buy has the 32 inch version on BF add.. Its probably not that GREAT of a price, but it is on the list

and he just missed neweggs sale on the 47 inch version was 829 shipped.
post #567 of 1146 Old 11-25-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just to let you guys know Newegg got all stupid on the 42LH20 pricing.

(edited to delete price info, didn't realize no price talk)
post #568 of 1146 Old 11-25-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:

you're holding down enter on the remote and enter on the tv at the same time right? hold it for a while, it may seem like more than 5 secnods, but it takes a bit.. also the way the buttons are layed out on the side of the tv, its easy to hit the wrong button, make sure you're hitting the exact ones. my tv is only 2 months older than yours and mine worked fine, i suppose its possible you got the newest firmware and it was disabled.

Question, is your video perfectly smooth when you watch a dvd or blu-ray movie via some other source than your pc? I'm not sure what issues would be cuased by some video cards are very picky about this kind of stuff.. i hear Nvidia is better for going to tv's? anyone else?

Yup.. Enter and Enter for 5 seconds. Doesn't work, nor does menu and menu or hitting fav 7 times in the main menu.

Also, I was mistaken. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to turn real cinema mode OFF. I think that is my problem. No matter what I do or what combination of settings I try, the option to turn it off is greyed out. Has anyone figured out how to turn it off? Even in expert mode the option is greyed out and always set to on.

The only other source I can test is OTA HD. I use my HTPC for EVERYTHING. Watching TV, Blu-ray, HD DVD, DVD, etc.

- Keith
post #569 of 1146 Old 11-25-2009, 08:06 PM

The only thing that I get if I hold down the Enter or Menu button for a few seconds is the info box that says what input I am on. It looks like they disabled the service menu.
post #570 of 1146 Old 11-25-2009, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Stoopid pricing is right. Just bought a 42lh20 for $432 delivered after Bing. My mom will be very happy in a few days.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page