Lg xxlh30 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1146 Old 12-03-2009, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry guys, I have a dumb question for you. Just purchased the 42hl30 tonight and I have a little Bose Cinemate system to hook up to it, however I do not see any Audio out on the back of this tv and I cannot get any sound thru the Bose system. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenke1 View Post

Sorry guys, I have a dumb question for you. Just purchased the 42hl30 tonight and I have a little Bose Cinemate system to hook up to it, however I do not see any Audio out on the back of this tv and I cannot get any sound thru the Bose system. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong??

nothing - 43LH30 has only optical audio out. looks like your system takes analog input which TV does not provide.
post #633 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade813 View Post

I'm not trying to get you to agree with me, and you're definitely not being rude. My point is that LG is trying to appeal to people like you and me who want something configurable. They put settings above and beyond what most manufacturers do in the standard picture menu, and have enabled the user to calibrate the set with accuracy that some sets cannot achieve even after going through the service menu.

As far as entering the service menu, it is entirely possible that they disabled the easier entry from the remote because too many people were screwing up their sets by accidentally changing a wrong setting.

Manufacturers usually have in print that entering the service menu voids the warranty. They also usually do not publish how to enter the service menu in any content available to the consumer. I have not verified if this is true with LG and these sets, but I imagine it is the case.

I don't like not being able to enter the service menu. I did a service menu tweak for another set I have. But I do not feel like LG is hiding options and features from me. The service menu is intended for technicians who a) know what they're doing and b) are at fault if they screw something up, so if they mess up your set, you get a replacement instead of a dial tone.

at my first contact with LG regarding lip sync, they told me how to access service menu and get firmware number...
post #634 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenke1 View Post

Try looking for a TOSlink to stereo converter. The cheapest one I could find was at Amazon.
post #635 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 05:31 AM

So for those gaming on an Xbox 360 or PS3 as opposed to a PC, what would you say is the ideal sharpness setting while using game mode?
post #636 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 05:57 AM

Nope. Thats interesting.
post #637 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger View Post

For those following this thread, you know I had some posts before for the settings as I fine tuned it. Ok, here is my final settings after a month tweaking. I have 47LH30 with LG panel. These settings are for living room with daylight or at night with lights turned on, which is the most common user environment this TV is used (as a regular TV). I have PS3, HTPC, and standard DVD player connected, all thru HDMI. My watching distance is about 10 feet. If you use the TV in dark room, or use it as a PC monitor for near field watch, you need to adjust from this setting accordingly. I tweak these final settings based upon CNET, Hometheater Magazine, other posts in this thread, and my own calibration using DVE.
Some highlights of the settings:
(1)Black Level: HIGH. This is a big difference from other settings. Using DVE, I found I can not see 2% and below gray level bar with "low" setting. Changing it to "high", I can see everything including "below black" bar. This setting basically solved the TV's black crushing issue, giving you more shadow details.
(2)Dynamic contrast: Medium. set this to medium gave you the best shadow detail for black scene. This is copied from Hometheater Magazine's comment for this TV. I tried and agreed.
(3)Brightness: I set it to 51 for RGB sources (0-255 gray level, like PC or PS3 when PS3's video out set to RGB), and 38 for video sources (16-239 gray level, like dvd player, cable, and TV).
(4)Those CNET custom color settings are only good if you use "warm" for white balance as CNET did. For me, I prefer "Medium" instead of "warm", and set all color to default (zero).

Here is the whole settings:
Picture menu:
Aspect ratio: Just Scan
Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Expert 2
Backlight: 50
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 38 for video, bluray, dvd, TV, cable, 51 for PC, PS3
H Sharpness: 53 (somebody also suggest 30~40 range, you can try)
V Sharpness: 53 (somebody also suggest 30~40 range, you can try)
Color: 65
Tint: G1

--Expert control menu
Dynamic contrast: Medium
Noise reduction: Off
Gamma: Medium (or high)
Black level: High
Real Cinema: Off for TV, On for all others
Color Standard: HD [grayed out]
Color Gamut: Wide
Edge Enhancer: Off
xvYCC: Auto [gayed out]
OPC: Off
Expert Pattern: Off[grayed out]
Color Filter: Off

White balance: Medium
Method: 2 Points
Pattern: Outer
Red Contrast 0
Green " 0
Blue " 0

Red Brightness 0
Green " 0
Blue " 0

Red color: 0
Red tint: 0
Green color: 0
Green tint: 0
Blue color: 0
Blue tint: 0
Yellow color: 0
Yellow tint: 0
Cyan color: 0
Cyan tint: 0
Magenta color: 0
Magenta tint: 0

These settings are really nice.. Blue seems a little bit off though... for example looking at links in the forum links here are a bit too bright blue. I will try tweaking the blue tint
post #638 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrow Roll View Post

So for those gaming on an Xbox 360 or PS3 as opposed to a PC, what would you say is the ideal sharpness setting while using game mode?

I think the sweet spot for sharpness is between 48-53. I would just move the slider until it looks best. I'm using 53 at the moment and it looks great on all sources.
post #639 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmortem View Post

at my first contact with LG regarding lip sync, they told me how to access service menu and get firmware number...

Even those with the latest firmware that cannot access the full service menu can still access the firmware portion of the service menu. What method did they tell you?
post #640 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Even those with the latest firmware that cannot access the full service menu can still access the firmware portion of the service menu. What method did they tell you?

I think thats the one where you press Menu, highlight OPTIONS

and press FAV button 7 times.. you can still do that one
post #641 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehuSXRD View Post

I think thats the one where you press Menu, highlight OPTIONS

and press FAV button 7 times.. you can still do that one

Yeah I know, I wanted to see if this was what LG told him, because it makes sense that they would mention that method as it is just a firmware check/update menu. I would be surprised if they instructed going into the full service menu via the enter+enter or menu+menu just for him to check the firmware.
post #642 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 03:44 PM

i have my V & H sharpness both set to 43 for windows/text usage. it seems fine in gaming and blu-ray movie viewing also.

try getting this model tv to display the blue in this page correctly...check out the list of tier 0 movies...makes my eyes hurt! dropping my sharpness to 43 made it much more legible.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...67&postcount=2

im running dvi->hdmi and have my input labeled "PC"
post #643 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 04:15 PM

So, is there any way for me to access the service menu with my Harmony 550 (it came today) with the stock firmware?
post #644 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Here's text:
Quote:

What is the s/w--to get this press and hold down the menu on the TV and the menu on the remote--the main menu will appear-continue to hold down the menu buttons and a pass code will appear ;enter 0000--then another menu will show up this is where you can get the s/w version from.

post #645 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnorok64 View Post

So, is there any way for me to access the service menu with my Harmony 550 (it came today) with the stock firmware?

no... what was the problem when you tried using your nokia IR
post #646 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Leary View Post

That makes perfect sense if one panel is 10 bit and the other is 8 bit. The display firmware is no longer speaking a language the panel can understand.

I would agree with this but only one way I believe my tv to have the LGD panel which is 10bit.. When i switched it to AUO in my service menu my screen got DIM/darker , but not jumbled.. so maybe those with a 10bit LGD panel can switch this to AUO and it has no problems but darker image, becuase its talking to a 10bit panel in 8 bit mode and the panel just goes "Yeah okay I can do less work" where as someone with an AUO panel tries the other modes which are 10 bit, the panel goes "Uhh I dont have those 2 extra bits, i'm freakin out!"

So maybe 10bit displays all modes in the menu, but 8bit can only handle the AUO mode (and maybe others if they are 8bit but LGD is definately 10 mode?)

Just a theory!
post #647 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just bought a 42" today, have to wait til mid next week to play with it though until directv is installed at my new place. Technically only paid $400 if you count the $350 gift card for buying the tv and starting a new account with directv.

Anything I need to know about the tv?

Will strictly be for bedroom DVD and tv viewing
post #648 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 07:13 PM

I have a Dell 2407WFP-HC hooked up via DVI-D to my computer (NVidia Geforce 9800GTX) and then hooked up to my LG 47LH30 Via DVI on one end and HDMI on the other cable that is about 15 feet long.

My results differed a little bit, they weren't perfectly consistent, and I cant tell which fo the two displays is wavering, but it seems like it goes from 0 to about 30 ms delay with 15ms being the most common. Here are 6 shots I took of the 47lh30 on the left and the Dell on the right.

Settings are mostly everything off but NOT using PC label for the HDMI 2 input i'm using. (i tried labeling it PC but it didnt seem to make it any faster and i didnt like the looks of it)

This last picture i'm posing is the extreme case where I seemingly measured about 50MS difference, but at this point i start to question the program..

Just how fast is it going through these MS numbers? it looks like its jumping from 470 to 500, and you can clearly see the transition happening so the 500 is just starting to begin being put on the LH30's screen, which the dell clearly shows 520 , would this make it 20ms slower? or since we still see the 470 pretty brightly, 50ms? Either way it seems my particular TV is quite variable in the MS delay i get, but again with 15ms being more the norm. Please anyone chime in if they wish.
(pictures edited to hide my messy room )

Anyone have any clue how the dell 2407 fares compared to a CRT?
post #649 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:

no... what was the problem when you tried using your nokia IR

It would not work on my phone,

I may look into custom firmware for my remote.

More specifically the irremote program wouldn't work.
post #650 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnorok64 View Post

It would not work on my phone,

I may look into custom firmware for my remote.

More specifically the irremote program wouldn't work.

ok try noviiremote for symbian (if it is compatible with your phone)
http://www.novii.tv/symbian/nrnokia/

you can download the deluxe version and install.. it has a trial so you dont have to buy.

This is the app that i used on palm os
post #651 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach250 View Post

Just bought a 42" today, have to wait til mid next week to play with it though until directv is installed at my new place. Technically only paid $400 if you count the $350 gift card for buying the tv and starting a new account with directv.

Anything I need to know about the tv?

Will strictly be for bedroom DVD and tv viewing

Just checked and my serial starts in 909, does this mean I can't access the deeper settings?
post #652 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach250 View Post

Just checked and my serial starts in 909, does this mean I can't access the deeper settings?

most likely but it really depends on the firmware installed
post #653 of 1146 Old 12-04-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:

ok try noviiremote for symbian (if it is compatible with your phone)
http://www.novii.tv/symbian/nrnokia/

you can download the deluxe version and install.. it has a trial so you dont have to buy.

This is the app that i used on palm os

I hate my phone. I can't install anything.
post #654 of 1146 Old 12-05-2009, 09:49 AM

Hope this helps all of you with the newer firmware access the factory service menu. With some hints here and on other boards, I came up with an idea and it worked!

I have a cheapo universal remote, RCA. Specifically this one I bought at Walmart recently:
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/ar...emote-0106330/

I had been using it as a second remote for my 32LH30 that I bought on black friday weekend at best buy. I have 4.31.1 firmware, build date Oct 09.

Anyways, the code for this remote to make everything work properly is 11423. I had the idea to try all the different codes for LG TVs, and bingo, on the third code 11265, the GUIDE button accesses the service menu. I have confirmed I have an LGD panel, and I made the changes to enable JPG and AVI files. I have not tried to use these features yet.

My suggesting to all with new firmware is if you want access to the service menu, grab any universal remote you have laying around and try all the LG TV codes, and then try using buttons like GUIDE or INFO. If not, you can always go to walmart and see if they still have the remote (don't see the exact model online currently, but I only bought it a month ago at local store.)

Good luck, and I hope this helps someone.
post #655 of 1146 Old 12-05-2009, 12:37 PM

just fyi i tried all the lg codes for my onkyo tx sr-605 a/v receiver remote and had no luck in bringing up the service menu. o well. i guess it was worth a try!
post #656 of 1146 Old 12-05-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc4 View Post

Hope this helps all of you with the newer firmware access the factory service menu. With some hints here and on other boards, I came up with an idea and it worked!

I have a cheapo universal remote, RCA. Specifically this one I bought at Walmart recently:
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/ar...emote-0106330/

I had been using it as a second remote for my 32LH30 that I bought on black friday weekend at best buy. I have 4.31.1 firmware, build date Oct 09.

Anyways, the code for this remote to make everything work properly is 11423. I had the idea to try all the different codes for LG TVs, and bingo, on the third code 11265, the GUIDE button accesses the service menu. I have confirmed I have an LGD panel, and I made the changes to enable JPG and AVI files. I have not tried to use these features yet.

My suggesting to all with new firmware is if you want access to the service menu, grab any universal remote you have laying around and try all the LG TV codes, and then try using buttons like GUIDE or INFO. If not, you can always go to walmart and see if they still have the remote (don't see the exact model online currently, but I only bought it a month ago at local store.)

Good luck, and I hope this helps someone.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I picked up what they had at my local Wal-mart, which was this thing for like $17. It only has 2 LG codes and neither of them work. I decided to do auto program and process of elimination. There are several codes that will turn the TV on and off and adjust volume, but it wasn't untill I hit like the 8th set of 20 that I found on that brought up the EZ Adjust menu.

As I suspected, My TV had an LGD panel!

I taught the command to my Harmony remote. Is there reason to keep going to find a code that gets the full service menu?

Edit: Seems none of the codes accesses the full service menu.
post #657 of 1146 Old 12-05-2009, 06:53 PM

Awesome find bpc4

I returned my serial 909 set today (had a humming noise) and got a serial 1009. LGD panel again, no humming noise.

Cheers
post #658 of 1146 Old 12-05-2009, 06:55 PM

@ Ragnarok-- the only other useful thing (i think) i the the full service menu is to enable USB drive media playback. I enabled it but I can't imagine I will ever use it.
post #659 of 1146 Old 12-05-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:

@ Ragnarok-- the only other useful thing (i think) i the the full service menu is to enable USB drive media playback. I enabled it but I can't imagine I will ever use it.

I have mine connected to a computer so there's no need for it either. As added Icing on the cake non of the codes on this RCA remote fully controls my LG at all so I don't have to feel guilty about returning this glorious hunkajunk to Wal-mart.
post #660 of 1146 Old 12-06-2009, 10:42 AM

are any of you lag testers willing to do a comparison without the tv receiving its native resolution? it's good to know how slow the panel itself is, but for me the ultimate lag test is one that includes 480i/p. that way you know the fastest and slowest possible speeds of your tv.

from what i've seen the LGs are fast at everything- the video processing is quick enough not to add any delay and the scalers seem to work with the same speed. i saw a test where upscaling 720p took this tv only 4ms extra; i'd be interested in seeing how much longer SD definitions would take with deinterlacing. anybody got the time?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page