Lg xxlh30 - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 1146 Old 12-06-2009, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
its about the same as my philips 42" lcd. i ran the test in 480p(720x480) and both screens running in clone mode. the LG looks BARELY faster than my philips(at/around 10ms?).

LG is on the left, philips is on the right

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 1146 Old 12-06-2009, 11:45 PM

thanks for that- for reference, how much delay does the philips itself have? i'm trying to figure out if those results are a good thing or not.
post #663 of 1146 Old 12-07-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulux View Post

thanks for that- for reference, how much delay does the philips itself have? i'm trying to figure out if those results are a good thing or not.

im not sure about SD, but the LG is much faster in its native resolution compared to my philips(about 20-30ms)

i guess i could hook up my old crt to get a true comparison to the LG...maybe this coming weekend ill post up some crt/lcd comparison pics.
post #664 of 1146 Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 AM

I'd like to test 480p at some point but I don't even think my video card had that resolution available. When I make up some PS2 cablest for my arcade sticks I'll try hooking up my old, original PS2 and do some comparisons. Though I'm not actualy that sensative to input lag so I'm not sure what it'll accomplish.
post #665 of 1146 Old 12-07-2009, 12:49 PM

Is the 37lh30 suffering from the "panel lottery" as well? Id rather buy the 32 since it will be a secondary gaming only screen. If the 37 has a better chance of getting the LG screen i might as well get that one since its the same price in town right now.
post #666 of 1146 Old 12-07-2009, 02:29 PM

alright...did the 'ole crt comparison...crap. im fairly sensitive to input lag and really dont notice it on this screen, but the screenshots say otherwise.

these shots are at 1920x1080@60hz(1080p)

1/60 shutter speed

1/250 shutter speed

these shots are at 720x480@60hz(480p)

1/60 shutter speed

1/250 shutter speed

edit: forgot to mention the LG tv has no picture enhancements turned on.
post #667 of 1146 Old 12-07-2009, 03:03 PM

Those lag results seem to be a great deal higher than what myself or KVW got. Also why is the milliseconds difference always a multiple of 10? Is something scewing the results?
post #668 of 1146 Old 12-07-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnorok64 View Post

Those lag results seem to be a great deal higher than what myself or KVW got. Also why is the milliseconds difference always a multiple of 10? Is something scewing the results?

no clue. could have something to do with the 60hz refresh and my selected shutter speeds?

ive always done the test the same way from that website and have always seemed to get multiples of 10 in my test results.
post #669 of 1146 Old 12-07-2009, 03:37 PM

the results do seem a bit higher than i expected; if you have the AUO panel that could account for the difference.

on the plus side, it doesn't seem like 480p really added very much lag compared to 1080p.
post #670 of 1146 Old 12-07-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haste View Post

no clue. could have something to do with the 60hz refresh and my selected shutter speeds?

ive always done the test the same way from that website and have always seemed to get multiples of 10 in my test results.

Something definately doesn't seem quite right here.
post #671 of 1146 Old 12-07-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:

What settings are you using on the LG? did you turn a lot of the processing off?
post #672 of 1146 Old 12-08-2009, 06:54 PM

he said the processing was off, so that's not it.
post #673 of 1146 Old 12-10-2009, 01:41 AM

Ok, so after some problems with UPS I ended up getting a 37LH30 from NewEgg for $450

Model is 37LH30-UA
Manufacture date: August 2009
Software: 4.05
Maker: LGD

can get in all 3 service menus.

My issues are

1) Angles, the screen gets slightly darker from the sides, but standing up or going down it seems to become whiter like its washed out, I thought Super-IPS panels were not supposed to be like this?

2) Blurring, I think the tv is responsible, but I am not sure how to double check. My girlfriend has taken over the tv since I first got it to continue playing Fable 2 and it appears to glitch when running etc. Also QVC HD (free clear qam, best quality channel i get) during quick or even slightly above average motion like a hand moving appears to pixelate.

Is the LGD the best panel I could have gotten and indeed the Super-IPS panel advertised?

The angles I will just have to live with right? It's a property of the panel type?

How can I check the blurring on the tv, and what is the best way to fix it? Which modes are best etc? Right now Fable is set to Game, but QVCHD is just set to tv, its the only option with coax.

Have not checked input lag, will check with COD4 soon and should be getting a PS3 in the near future to check other games etc. Can post watt usage in different energy modes with different settings upon request. They are as accurate as the Kill-A-Watt is, so pretty close
post #674 of 1146 Old 12-11-2009, 10:48 AM

Liked: 11
Today, I did notice some motion problem when watching Planet Earth,especially when the camera paned. I don't know whether that should be called motion blur or judder.
As for the view angle, what I found is, when viewing from angle, the LG's contrast goes down, but colors are keep very well as compared to Samsung's. Samsungs really wash out quickly as you walk away from the center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by android6011 View Post

Ok, so after some problems with UPS I ended up getting a 37LH30 from NewEgg for $450

Model is 37LH30-UA
Manufacture date: August 2009
Software: 4.05
Maker: LGD

can get in all 3 service menus.

My issues are

1) Angles, the screen gets slightly darker from the sides, but standing up or going down it seems to become whiter like its washed out, I thought Super-IPS panels were not supposed to be like this?

2) Blurring, I think the tv is responsible, but I am not sure how to double check. My girlfriend has taken over the tv since I first got it to continue playing Fable 2 and it appears to glitch when running etc. Also QVC HD (free clear qam, best quality channel i get) during quick or even slightly above average motion like a hand moving appears to pixelate.

Is the LGD the best panel I could have gotten and indeed the Super-IPS panel advertised?

The angles I will just have to live with right? It's a property of the panel type?

How can I check the blurring on the tv, and what is the best way to fix it? Which modes are best etc? Right now Fable is set to Game, but QVCHD is just set to tv, its the only option with coax.

Have not checked input lag, will check with COD4 soon and should be getting a PS3 in the near future to check other games etc. Can post watt usage in different energy modes with different settings upon request. They are as accurate as the Kill-A-Watt is, so pretty close

post #675 of 1146 Old 12-11-2009, 08:08 PM

So a technician came to my home to fix my LG 42LH30 LCD TV today.

FYI I had firmware version 4.31.01. My TV was manufactured in October in Mexico. This is the firmware version where the "menu+menu" trick does not work, and I couldn't access any of the technician menus. However the Menu-option-favorite button 7X does show the firmware version number.

Updated the TV to version 4.34.01 using the USB stick with downloaded firmwware from LG web site by technician without problem. Had to reset the EDID menu in the technician's menu as per specific instructions of the update after all cables were removed. Reboot.

My DTS audio input use to have significant lipsync issues - had to use PCM output from my hdtv cable iptv box - the DTS now seems much better in sync now. However the audio still seems a tiny bit faster that the picture..

Please note that the 4.34.01 does not allow access to the technician menu at all - only way to get to it was by the technician LG remote button - you may not be able to reset the EDID menu without the technician remote... you have been warned!
post #676 of 1146 Old 12-12-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger View Post

Today, I did notice some motion problem when watching Planet Earth,especially when the camera paned. I don't know whether that should be called motion blur or judder.

which part/disc? i could check it out on my tv and report with results also.
post #677 of 1146 Old 12-12-2009, 08:52 AM

Sooo...what is the overall recommendation on the 47LH30 to be used exclusively as a PC Monitor with a main purpose of playing PC games (especially combat flight simulations) and the occasional Wii game for the kids?

My intent would be to replace a 51-inch Hitachi 51F59 projection CRT HDTV, and I am very worried about the lag factor. I'm going nuts on this, I was actually second-guessing whether I should look at another CRT HDTV? But, I think this 47LH30 may be the strongest competitor to that option...

I would greatly appreciate any general advice and thoughts. My wife has given me the green light, and while I still have it, I would like to consider buying the 47LH30 perhaps today. Thank you kindly for your replies!
post #678 of 1146 Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 AM

With the right settings the set makes a great PC/Game monitor. Just grab it from some place you can return it (Best Buy returns till end of january) if you don't like it or is defective.
post #679 of 1146 Old 12-13-2009, 05:28 AM

Well, I am taking a huge leap of faith on this one, having ordered it online at an absolutely unbeatable price...will share the results in the future.
post #680 of 1146 Old 12-13-2009, 08:47 AM

I need to change the NTSC system to PAL in this model. Somebody has to know how to access the service mode. I did read oochie´s comment on a technicians remote, but there has to be another way.
I´m sure the 32LGXX are all the same. Or even the 37"´s

Thanks
post #681 of 1146 Old 12-13-2009, 02:21 PM

Is anybody else with an lh30 or lf11 model experiencing this issue:

There is a weird ghost of the letter "s" in this text
printscreen from a web page:

the above image should not have anything between letter "s" and letter "E"
but on my 32lf11 (taken with a camera) there is a weird teal ghost of letter "s":

if i remove the red text the ghost disappears:
post #682 of 1146 Old 12-13-2009, 10:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

which part/disc? i could check it out on my tv and report with results also.

Disc 1: mountains. There are a few parts when the camera paned, judder or motion blur were very clear.
post #683 of 1146 Old 12-14-2009, 12:18 AM

I had purchased an LG 42LH30 in Nov during Fry's blowout sale.

My panel was produced in Oct 2009 in Mexico. My firmware originally was 4.31.01 - I could not access the technician menus to check on panel make. I definitely had a lipsync problem with my cable provider (FIOS Surewest) using HDMI using their HD box (ADB manufacturer) especially prominent with Dolby Digital audio selection on the cable box (less so with the PCM output setting on the box but still slightly present).

My TV was upgraded by technician to 4.34.01 using USB update - in retrospect the dolby digital output from HD box lipsync is still terrible. Back to PCM output where lipsync is less obvious.

At the suggestion of a previous poster on this thread I got an RCA RCR312W from Walmart. Entered the code suggested for TV selection - Now the "Guide" button brings me to the technician menu - unfortunately it only brings me to the menu that allows for panel determination, and WMA/JPEG options. It does not allow access to the lipsync menu. (the alternate technician menu)

I have unfortunately found out that my panel is an AUO 8bit panel.

FYI My specific make is 42LH30-UA.AUSDLUR
Ser #910xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Grrr..

-O
post #684 of 1146 Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanc View Post

Is anybody else with an lh30 or lf11 model experiencing this issue:

There is a weird ghost of the letter "s" in this text
printscreen from a web page:

the above image should not have anything between letter "s" and letter "E"
but on my 32lf11 (taken with a camera) there is a weird teal ghost of letter "s":

i saw some odd "ghosting" when i initially used this tv. but after a few hours of use and some tweaking here and there, the ghosting is virtually gone.

is your tv brand new? im using a dvi->hdmi connection from a PC
post #685 of 1146 Old 12-14-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:

i saw some odd "ghosting" when i initially used this tv. but after a few hours of use and some tweaking here and there, the ghosting is virtually gone.

is your tv brand new? im using a dvi->hdmi connection from a PC

It's somewhat new, I've been using it for about 6 hours a day for like a week.
I'm also using dvi to hdmi cable and got it labeled as PC mode but the ghosting remains
I also tried the vga cable from pc to vga input but its exactly the same...
post #686 of 1146 Old 12-14-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanc View Post

It's somewhat new, I've been using it for about 6 hours a day for like a week.
I'm also using dvi to hdmi cable and got it labeled as PC mode but the ghosting remains
I also tried the vga cable from pc to vga input but its exactly the same...

i have my input labeled as blu-ray...i highly doubt that will make a difference but its worth a try.

i need to see if i can get the issue to come back on my screen...
post #687 of 1146 Old 12-19-2009, 11:57 AM

i just got the 42lh30 for a steal. been messin' with it all morning. i almost wanna say my old westy 37w3 has a nicer picture, but obviously there's a lot more tweaking to be done on the lg. still looking for good settings for hd directv over hdmi.

anyways, i got into my service menu using an old universal remote guide button (thanks!). firmware is 4.31...but when i go to Tool Option 1 under service menu it says maker "LGD"...but i can change that by going left & right...other options are AOU, Sharp,etc. Does the default one mean I have have an LG panel??? thanks.

btw my serial started with 911xxxxxxx
post #688 of 1146 Old 12-19-2009, 12:11 PM

i think the idea is that the service menu reflects that different panels are used in these tvs, allowing adjustment at the factory depending on what panel was installed so that the same firmware works no matter what panel LG uses in the tv.

if yours is set to LGD, that should mean you have an LG panel and the tv is adjusted to match that. if you were to change it to AUO, your tv wouldn't magically change it's panel type but instead just change it's settings to match with an AUO panel. since you probably don't have an AUO in your tv, it would be a bad idea to do that. a lot of people claim to have wrecked their new tv attempting this.

i'm not stating this as fact, it just seems to be the logical conclusion reached earlier in the thread.
post #689 of 1146 Old 12-19-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulux View Post

i think the idea is that the service menu reflects that different panels are used in these tvs, allowing adjustment at the factory depending on what panel was installed so that the same firmware works no matter what panel LG uses in the tv.

if yours is set to LGD, that should mean you have an LG panel and the tv is adjusted to match that. if you were to change it to AUO, your tv wouldn't magically change it's panel type but instead just change it's settings to match with an AUO panel. since you probably don't have an AUO in your tv, it would be a bad idea to do that. a lot of people claim to have wrecked their new tv attempting this.

i'm not stating this as fact, it just seems to be the logical conclusion reached earlier in the thread.

thank you. i figured as much. i did put it to AUO for a second. pic darkened. hope i didn't wreck anything. seems fine now.
another thing i didn't like was the sides of panel seem a little loose against bezel. top & bottom are nice and tight. anyone else notice this?
post #690 of 1146 Old 12-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Hey guys i'm new to the whole digital audio thing.. so if i have my ps3 hooked up via HDMI cable and i'm watching a bluray and it sends it to the TV, I then want to use the Optical out on the tv to go into a speaker system (thinking about getting a Logitech Z-5500), Will it send all the discreet channel information to the logitech? or does it send an encoded (un-processed) signal (depending on type, i.e. dts or dolby) all the way through the tv to the logitech for the logitech to decode?

Also can you still use the tv's speakers at the same time as it feeds the audio out through the optical or does make you select one or the other? (it would be REALLY nice if it could let you set it PER input, for instance i'll NEVER use the speaker system for the wii probably, since it goes in to component cables and only gets stereo sound).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays