Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1146 Old 12-28-2009, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- I changed my SM settings on my 32LH30 and I haven't had any issues with it. YMMV.

Nice.

What does SM and YMMW mean?

WirelessMechanic at your service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1146 Old 12-28-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessMechanic View Post

Nice.

What does SM and YMMW mean?

SM = Service Menu and YMMV is a common internet abbreviation for "your mileage may vary."

A newbie question here if I may....

I see in the LG 32LH30 manual (on page 32) that component input supports 480i but HDMI does not. So if I make an HDMI connection from the set top box to the TV, what happens if a channel (or a DVD, for that matter, if I hook it up to the TV via HDMI) broadcasts in 480i? Does the TV go blank, or does the TV attempt to upconvert, or what?
post #723 of 1146 Old 12-29-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismatson10 View Post

360 hooked up over HDMI, and it won't let me turn real cinema off unless I label the input PC, which, as discussed, takes away a lot of options. Is there a good way to get around this?

Anyone have any input on this issue? I know I can't be the only one with this problem, unless it's just something stupid I'm missing. I was thinking maybe this is a change in the firmware? I have 4.5, which is the highest I've seen anyone post.

avdigger, did you have to do anything to be able to turn off real cinema outside of PC mode? I know you must not have PC mode on because you're able to set it to "just scan," and many other options. Ideas?
post #724 of 1146 Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 AM

How sure are you guys that LG is using AUO panels? I'm looking for this information online and cannot find it mentioned anywhere other than here. And the only proof is a setting in a service menu, and some anecdotal evidence of supposed differences in quality. I've spoken with 3 different customer service reps and they all say LG makes the panels, and when they check with their supervisor, they say the same thing. Who is right?
post #725 of 1146 Old 12-29-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post

SM = Service Menu and YMMV is a common internet abbreviation for "your mileage may vary."

A newbie question here if I may....

I see in the LG 32LH30 manual (on page 32) that component input supports 480i but HDMI does not. So if I make an HDMI connection from the set top box to the TV, what happens if a channel (or a DVD, for that matter, if I hook it up to the TV via HDMI) broadcasts in 480i? Does the TV go blank, or does the TV attempt to upconvert, or what?

If you check a couple posts back, I indicated that my tv actually decodes 480i signals over HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) which is weird because the OM (Owners Manual) says it does not support it. I even checked the info button and the TV did infact say 480i in the top right corner where it says the input resolution. I receive a clear percise picture when its in that mode anyways, not sure if maybe my LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) is made by a different vendor, or it was not fully supported at the time the OM was printed. But yeah It worked for me, although I am Affraid to continue using 480i via HDMI. I have since programmed my HD (High Definition) STB (Set Top Box) to output 480p for SD (Standard Definition) Signals instead, since its one of the supported modes of the TV as well as 1080i for HD Signals.

Has anyone elses' TV gone blank when they imput 480i signals via HDMI Cable? I also noticed not a lot of devices send 480i via HDMI, except my Rogers HD Terminal. Even my Blue Ray player does not send 480i Via HDMI.

Regards,

post #726 of 1146 Old 12-29-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjm View Post

How sure are you guys that LG is using AUO panels? I'm looking for this information online and cannot find it mentioned anywhere other than here. And the only proof is a setting in a service menu, and some anecdotal evidence of supposed differences in quality. I've spoken with 3 different customer service reps and they all say LG makes the panels, and when they check with their supervisor, they say the same thing. Who is right?

You answered your own question.
If the info in a service menu and multiple reports from members are not enough for you, then believe whatever the LG reps are stating.

Quote:

Anyone have any input on this issue? I know I can't be the only one with this problem, unless it's just something stupid I'm missing. I was thinking maybe this is a change in the firmware? I have 4.5, which is the highest I've seen anyone post.

avdigger, did you have to do anything to be able to turn off real cinema outside of PC mode? I know you must not have PC mode on because you're able to set it to "just scan," and many other options. Ideas?

Try the "Expert" modes if you haven't already.
post #727 of 1146 Old 12-29-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus18 View Post

Try the "Expert" modes if you haven't already.

I think I've tried every option available, the only way I can get Real Cinema to turn off with HDMI or component is to set it to PC mode, which I don't want to have to do.

It's starting to really annoy me
post #728 of 1146 Old 12-29-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus18 View Post

You answered your own question.
If the info in a service menu and multiple reports from members are not enough for you, then believe whatever the LG reps are stating.

That's the thing, I don't want to "believe" one or the other, I'm looking for solid evidence. The fact that the service menu can be changed to AUO/LGD, or any other maker seems shaky to me. Wouldn't that setting be inconsequential if every panel was LG? The setting would mean nothing in that case.

The anecdotal evidence (comparison) is just from yourself if I'm not mistaken. 1 person on the entire internet has made this claim. I've run a number of searches on Google and come up with nothing other than this forum. It could be that there are just that many people who are ignorant of this situation, or it could not.

Has anyone physically seen, or have access to official documents stating, that the LH30's randomly change between 8-bit MVA and 10-bit S-IPS panels?
post #729 of 1146 Old 12-29-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:

I think I've tried every option available, the only way I can get Real Cinema to turn off with HDMI or component is to set it to PC mode, which I don't want to have to do.

It's starting to really annoy me

That's odd, I'm able to select "Expert1" or "Expert2" and toggle Real Cinema on and off with HDMI. Maybe contact LG?

Quote:

That's the thing, I don't want to "believe" one or the other, I'm looking for solid evidence. The fact that the service menu can be changed to AUO/LGD, or any other maker seems shaky to me. Wouldn't that setting be inconsequential if every panel was LG? The setting would mean nothing in that case.

The anecdotal evidence (comparison) is just from yourself if I'm not mistaken. 1 person on the entire internet has made this claim. I've run a number of searches on Google and come up with nothing other than this forum. It could be that there are just that many people who are ignorant of this situation, or it could not.

Has anyone physically seen, or have access to official documents stating, that the LH30's randomly change between 8-bit MVA and 10-bit S-IPS panels?

Other than this post with the links being deactivated and LG not advertising the 10bit panel anymore (my original post on the "key fetures" of the 32lh20 that was a copy and paste), I don't know what else to tell you but to draw up your own conclusions.
post #730 of 1146 Old 12-29-2009, 03:17 PM

have any of you enabled the usb port in the service menu, and happen to be Canadian? please post your findings, the lg usb hack wiki claims it will "brick" your tv, it also claims the hack is for european models only, but people on here are "reportedly" saying they have got it to work. I just want to know, does it work FOR SURE, and are you infact Canadian? maybe post a screen shot of the tv and a canada flag will suffice?

The only reason I am saying this is because the Wiki says it will Brick your TV, and it only works on European models, but people on here are most likely from usa, and said it works. do you see the inconsistancy of what I have to go through?

post #731 of 1146 Old 12-29-2009, 09:38 PM

Let me get this straight. Are you all saying that some of the xxLH30 panels are TFT and some are IPS? That'd mean some have dithering and worse viewing angles and some not? The way people are talking in this thread it even sounds like the TFT versions have worse display latency, but it's confusing.

I was considering getting a 32LH30 for gaming, but hearing about the panel lottery worries me. Any advice? Is there really other comparable models?
post #732 of 1146 Old 12-29-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Read the entire thread. There are links to LG documentation listing the different panels in certain models of xxLH30.

Not sure how you searched but a google search of "lg lh30 panel auo" turned up several items from other sources.
post #733 of 1146 Old 12-30-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehuSXRD View Post

Read the entire thread. There are links to LG documentation listing the different panels in certain models of xxLH30.

Not sure how you searched but a google search of "lg lh30 panel auo" turned up several items from other sources.

Thank you jehus and Odysseus. Unforunately the link referencing some sort of ldg/auo breakdown no longer works. So all that's left is a forum post here about it. I also ran a search using the terms you used. There are indeed several items that come up, but they are all forum posts parroting what they read here. None of them are actually independent sources of information, or link to any type of evidence. Basically, the entire AUO/LGD discussion started on this thread, and no other information about it is available anywhere else.

It seems like a pretty clear case of consumer fraud if LG has changed the quality of their product without changing the model number. Especially if store models are using the old, superior panel to demonstrate the TV, and then giving you an inferior newer model. Classic bait and switch. But there's simply nothing out there as evidence of this that I've been able to find other than 1 person who has compared models. Everyone else seems to find the setting in the service menu, and assume that based on that, their panel is the crappy one.

Is the difference in quality between the 2 panels so little that people are unable to tell which panel they have unless they find this service menu setting? Shouldn't off-angle viewing show a huge whiteness increase compared to the IPS panel? Wouldn't this be obvious within 2 seconds of watching?
post #734 of 1146 Old 12-30-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Is the difference in quality between the 2 panels so little that people are unable to tell which panel they have unless they find this service menu setting? Shouldn't off-angle viewing show a huge whiteness increase compared to the IPS panel? Wouldn't this be obvious within 2 seconds of watching?

No
Yes
Yes

LG is not the first company to swap panels
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1178897
post #735 of 1146 Old 12-30-2009, 10:46 PM

Did they switch the panel for the LH40 as well ? Or is it still 10bit?
post #736 of 1146 Old 12-31-2009, 07:02 AM

anyone tried the usb hack yet? plz post your findings

post #737 of 1146 Old 12-31-2009, 09:52 AM

Does UA after the serial number mean it is a AUO Panel?
post #738 of 1146 Old 12-31-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerman7 View Post

Does UA after the serial number mean it is a AUO Panel?

No, I believe that they're all "LH30-UA". I might be wrong though. I haven't been able to access the proper service panel to check my screen, but off angle viewing looks great on my tv! Ignorance is bliss, me thinks.
post #739 of 1146 Old 01-01-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:

I think the only proof we have is another member that bought a second set and had them sitting side by side. One had lag and motion blur the other didn't. Going into the service menu he found the new set had a AUO panel.

It's not just a matter of the service menu saying its a LG or a Auo panel. If you change it off of LG to AUO settings it looks like complete crap. I'm sure its the same with people and AUO panels changing it to one of the other choices. If thats not proof enough for you then I don't know what else you need aside from someone taking their set apart, which I doubt is going to happen.
post #740 of 1146 Old 01-02-2010, 02:17 AM

Does anyone know of a review for the 32lh30 that has tested and quantified the contrast ratio (or other TV's for that matter)? Every review I've found is completely subjective, using terms like "relatively good black levels".
post #741 of 1146 Old 01-02-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
friends looking at the 42" today at Best Buy. Just called me to ask about it, and I have zero idea - plus they are looking to buy today I think. Really spur of the moment, surprised since they know how techie I am and that I would want to do research IF they were asking my opinion.

I assume these panels are decent?
post #742 of 1146 Old 01-02-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

friends looking at the 42" today at Best Buy. Just called me to ask about it, and I have zero idea - plus they are looking to buy today I think. Really spur of the moment, surprised since they know how techie I am and that I would want to do research IF they were asking my opinion.

I assume these panels are decent?

If they get the LG panel its great as a TV, Monitor and for gaming. I haven't been keeping up with the 42'' info but I thought they all had LG panels. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.
post #743 of 1146 Old 01-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Anyone know why my Comcast HD-DVR will work fine on HDMI3 but not on HDMI1 or 2?
post #744 of 1146 Old 01-03-2010, 07:45 PM

Hi all,

First, thanks to all the posters in this thread - what a wealth of knowledge!

Today I purchased a 42LH30, and I'm not sure if I'm happy with it or not. Last month I purchased an Insignia 42" on a friend's recommendation, but I found there was lots of blurring when using my attached PC (Mac Mini). Text was especially bad. I also have a PVR through the Mac Mini and watching certain programming was also blurry. I figured these problems were the result of a low end TV, so I returned it today and got the LG.

I find the overall colour quality to be somewhat better, however I'm still having the same issue with my connected PC, although to a lesser extent. After reading here and on some other forums, I figure the problem may have to do with the overscan settings. If I choose a 1080p resolution, there's a thick black border around the edges and the picture is slightly fuzzy. If I check the overscan option, it's corrected, however with the slightly garbled text that I experienced with my old panel. No other resolution I can choose improves on this situation - 1080p is as good as it gets.

I read on some other forums that this is because the panel is not truly translating the DVI to HDMI data as 1:1, and this seems to make sense. Am I out of luck with this display for having crystal clear PC output?

Thanks for any help.
post #745 of 1146 Old 01-03-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
what are the "amazon" settings for the 42" people were talking about? no one linked to them. Thanks!
post #746 of 1146 Old 01-04-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskayTO View Post

Hi all,

First, thanks to all the posters in this thread - what a wealth of knowledge!

Today I purchased a 42LH30, and I'm not sure if I'm happy with it or not. Last month I purchased an Insignia 42" on a friend's recommendation, but I found there was lots of blurring when using my attached PC (Mac Mini). Text was especially bad. I also have a PVR through the Mac Mini and watching certain programming was also blurry. I figured these problems were the result of a low end TV, so I returned it today and got the LG.

I find the overall colour quality to be somewhat better, however I'm still having the same issue with my connected PC, although to a lesser extent. After reading here and on some other forums, I figure the problem may have to do with the overscan settings. If I choose a 1080p resolution, there's a thick black border around the edges and the picture is slightly fuzzy. If I check the overscan option, it's corrected, however with the slightly garbled text that I experienced with my old panel. No other resolution I can choose improves on this situation - 1080p is as good as it gets.

I read on some other forums that this is because the panel is not truly translating the DVI to HDMI data as 1:1, and this seems to make sense. Am I out of luck with this display for having crystal clear PC output?

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

I have the same TV as you. to get a 1:1 pixel with no overscan, change your aspect ratio to "just scan". Also, why are you connecting your pc via dvi to hdmi? why don't you just plug it in directly from computer -> HDMI -> HDMI Socket on bakc of TV? it would make more sense.

post #747 of 1146 Old 01-04-2010, 07:50 PM

^not everyone's video card has hdmi output, so we use a dvi to hdmi connector.
post #748 of 1146 Old 01-05-2010, 04:29 AM

you see, thats why when i bought my laptop, i looked for one with an Hdemi port before i got my tv, i know it costed a little more, but in the long run, it was worth it. its the "little" things, that help make the future a friendly place, well atleast for me.

post #749 of 1146 Old 01-07-2010, 01:39 PM

So I purchased a 47LH30 about a month ago and have been obsessing over calibrating it. I just cant get it where I want. I havent used a calibration disk yet. I am using the CNET settings, slightly modified to my preferences.

Couple of things I am having problems with is black crush. Sure I can enable High black level but then it tends to wash the image out. This does give me more definitions in blacks, but I dont like the overall affect it has on the picture.

Last night I noticed while playing Bayonetta across the top of the LCD in a line it was almost like a half of an inch was "clipping" the image above this line was seem to be slightly out of sync with the rest.

This is the only time I have seen this, this doesn't happen with other games. I cant figure out if its the LCD or if its. I have fairly decent HDMI cables. I assume it has something to do with the fact that my PS3 is is set to 1080 and the game was native 720. I read somewhere the ps3 does not up convert?

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions to remedy my black crush issues?
post #750 of 1146 Old 01-11-2010, 08:25 PM

My husband and I are upgrading from a 13" CRT... We were set on the 42LH30 but after reading this thread I have no idea what to do. Is there any way to get the serial number, manufacturing date or find out which panel is it without buying it first?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page