Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangaboo View Post

marketing gimmicks

Those specs have no real meaning because people run tests and find 30ms for some sets that claim to be 6ms - read the input lag thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464

same with Contrast Ratio stats, its never as much as the specs claim

Correct,

Pay no attention to MFR provided response times, it's become just another useless spec since it is nothing close to reality, and doesn't reveal the whole picture (total input lag) The only TV's that come close to their claimed response times are ones with IPS panels (LG and Panasonic)

PC monitors tend to be a little more accurate with published response times, but those are often inflated as well. Take the westinghouse 37" LVM w3 for example, it's an older, larger monitor that published "8ms" response, but in reality it's total lag is around 30ms or so.

Too bad, because it makes TV and monitor shopping that much more difficult.

And by the way, total input lag begins with your mouse, your mouse can have up to 8ms lag, then add that to your TV's overall lag, then add that to your internet lag. All of these combined can lead to a pretty bad gaming experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1146 Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 AM

Liked: 10
Received my 47LH30 from Fry's this morning. Sticker indicates Chi Mei panel manufactured Jan. 2010. I'll post back with my impressions of it once I get it set up after work.
post #963 of 1146 Old 02-18-2010, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
A new finding...

The best way to do deal with LG's bright blacks...
is to set the screen to ZOOM!

No more black bars on 4:3 output and the blacks look better since there's nothing glaring at you ;-)
post #964 of 1146 Old 02-18-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

A new finding...

The best way to do deal with LG's bright blacks...
is to set the screen to ZOOM!

No more black bars on 4:3 output and the blacks look better since there's nothing glaring at you ;-)

ugh, i hate anything thats not in its proper aspect ratio. black bars on top, bottom and sides dont bother me.
post #965 of 1146 Old 02-18-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haste View Post

ugh, i hate anything thats not in its proper aspect ratio. black bars on top, bottom and sides dont bother me.

I second that.
post #966 of 1146 Old 02-18-2010, 02:40 PM

I'm experimenting with picture settings.
Black Level on all modes is grayed out and set at Auto.

Do you have to do something special to unlock it?
post #967 of 1146 Old 02-18-2010, 05:10 PM

47hl30 arrived today from Fry's, sticker on the back of the panel says chi-mei.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonypass View Post

I'm experimenting with picture settings.
Black Level on all modes is grayed out and set at Auto.

Do you have to do something special to unlock it?

It's greyed out for me when I watch cable(1080i), but not playing xbox(1080p). Must be either the input type or the resolution.
post #968 of 1146 Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypac View Post

47hl30 arrived today from Fry's, sticker on the back of the panel says chi-mei.

It's greyed out for me when I watch cable(1080i), but not playing xbox(1080p). Must be either the input type or the resolution.

So I think thats an MVA...Does gaming look good on it?
post #969 of 1146 Old 02-19-2010, 03:27 AM

Liked: 12
Even thought I'd love to pick this tv up, I can't fork over the cash unless I'm certain the panel is an IPS so I'm going to skip this "one-day" deal.

Amazon is having a Today's Deal on the LG 32LH30. I haven't seen it lower than this plus free shipping as always.
post #970 of 1146 Old 02-19-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreed2 View Post

The only thing gaming is good on is an IPS panel.
post #971 of 1146 Old 02-19-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:

Yes, your correct. I can use HDMI 1080P output from my PC to set each modes Black Level to High but when I switch inputs back to a 1080i source it goes back to Auto.
post #972 of 1146 Old 02-19-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:

Let me preface this by saying, This is my first HDTV, so I don't have a lot to reference from.

The black levels seem pretty good. There's a tiny little bit of backlight bleed from the corners, not enough to see unless the screen is completely black. I don't have a way to do any real input lag testing, but there seems to be a somewhat noticeable delay at times playing MW2. Fast motion is blurry. It's definitely not optimal for gaming imo

If I had it to do over again I'd probably consider something smaller with less lag, but I'm not kicking myself either. It's BIG
post #973 of 1146 Old 02-19-2010, 08:15 AM

Just how bad is the MVA panel? I don't plan to use it for gaming, just HDTV viewing (60% TV / 40% Movie)?

I am ready to commit to the order if there isn't something better in this price range at the same size (720p v 1080p is not as relevant in this case since this is will be the bedroom TV).
post #974 of 1146 Old 02-19-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
thats a FANTASTIC deal on amazon.

I've been following amazons price on the LH30 daily for the last 2 months...

it fluctuates 3-5$ everyday.

But today, wow, $55-$58 less.
post #975 of 1146 Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 AM

To hell with it. I am rolling the dice and getting the LG.
post #976 of 1146 Old 02-19-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Let me preface this by saying, This is my first HDTV, so I don't have a lot to reference from.

The black levels seem pretty good. There's a tiny little bit of backlight bleed from the corners, not enough to see unless the screen is completely black. I don't have a way to do any real input lag testing, but there seems to be a somewhat noticeable delay at times playing MW2. Fast motion is blurry. It's definitely not optimal for gaming imo

If I had it to do over again I'd probably consider something smaller with less lag, but I'm not kicking myself either. It's BIG

have you been using game mode? Game mode should do away with input lag.
post #977 of 1146 Old 02-19-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTParis View Post

To hell with it. I am rolling the dice and getting the LG.

exactly what I said, I was looking for a 37" TV but with taxes and all they cost me almost 600 bucks. I found the 42lh30 at Frys on sale for 549 so I jumped on it.
post #978 of 1146 Old 02-19-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:

have you been using game mode? Game mode should do away with input lag.

Since there is very little video processing to begin with, there is nothing to really reduce, therefore game mode doesn't help reduce lag, it's simply a video setting; a rather dim and blurry one at that. All I can say is playing games on a LH30 with an MVA panel is not fun at all. I feel bad for you if you're stuck with it, and I hope all of you who are taking risks either get an IPS panel or have a good return policy (or don't play games).
post #979 of 1146 Old 02-19-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadex View Post

Since there is very little video processing to begin with, there is nothing to really reduce, therefore game mode doesn't help reduce lag, it's simply a video setting; a rather dim and blurry one at that. All I can say is playing games on a LH30 with an MVA panel is not fun at all. I feel bad for you if you're stuck with it, and I hope all of you who are taking risks either get an IPS panel or have a good return policy (or don't play games).

I should recieve tommorow or Monday, Thankfully Frys has a nice 30 day return policy...If its MVA I am gonna check it out, If I hate it then I will exchange it for something else.
post #980 of 1146 Old 02-20-2010, 04:42 AM

I know that some of the Samsungs are identifiable on the box what panel is being used. Does the same hold true for the LGs?
post #981 of 1146 Old 02-20-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:

I noticed the AUO panel so bad, I couldn't stand it. You might be different, but if you plan on playing games it's not going to be pretty when you have to move. Also, you might notice people's faces look like loose skin hanging off their face when they move around or talk sometimes when you're watching TV or movies. I think this is an effect of the inferior AUO panel because it's slower and uses dithering because it is only 8-bit color whereas the LGD uses 10-bit color so it can accurately produce all color ranges without the need for dithering.

Keep your receipt and keep a close eye on things. Return it if it starts to bother you; if it doesn't then congrats on a good deal. (How much was it?)

Sorry it took so long to respond, I've been pretty busy this week. As far as price, I paid $614.99 for it (LG 42lh30) plus $45.37 in tax (bought in NY). I think this was a decent deal. At the time, I could have gotten it from Amazon for around the same price before tax with free shipping. But the Superbowl was that Sunday and you know the rest. (Right now the same T.V. is selling for $648 with free shipping at a Amazon.)

I wanted to update my review of the television. Since my original post, I have hooked up my xbox 360 to the television. I have the AUO panel (not thrilled about that, but again I don't have an IPS to compare so I don't know what difference I would see). For the most part, I play three games on the 360: Call of Duty, Madden, and Tiger Woods Golf. When I play Call of Duty, I do notice what I would describe as poor motion quality. (As a comparison I need to check out my friend's LG 47lh40) Now that could be attributed to the fact that it is 60 Hz or it could be because it is not an IPS panel. Honestly, I don't know. I do know that when I play Madden or Tiger Woods that poor motion quality is MUCH less noticeable. These do happen to be slower games.

As a side note, I signed up for the Netflix thing through the XBOX and the picture quality is good. As a comparison, I ran a DVD through a blu ray player and checked the same movie on the XBOX (streaming from Netflix) and I didn't notice a difference.

Hopefully my review is helpful to those in a market to pick up a t.v. If anyone has any questions, let me know. I'll try to respond faster next time!
post #982 of 1146 Old 02-21-2010, 12:00 AM

Just picked up the 42lh30. Love it! but... I want to hook up my pc speakers to them. All it has is a digital audio out. Is there any way to connect external speakers to this thing?
post #983 of 1146 Old 02-21-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:

I haven't found the chi-mei to be that bad, personally. I've been playing a lot of MW2 lately, my k:d has gone up significantly since switching from SDTV. I haven't felt disadvantaged at close quarters where reaction time is vital. Last night in the span of 3 hours I called in 5 chopper gunners and got the star player challenge(>5:1 kills:deaths), so the lag can't be that debilitating.

Quote:

I should recieve tommorow or Monday, Thankfully Frys has a nice 30 day return policy...If its MVA I am gonna check it out, If I hate it then I will exchange it for something else.

Sorry, Fry's return policy for tv's is "Don't call us. Not even if it breaks. You suck and we hate you."
post #984 of 1146 Old 02-21-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggz503 View Post

Just picked up the 42lh30. Love it! but... I want to hook up my pc speakers to them. All it has is a digital audio out. Is there any way to connect external speakers to this thing?

I suppose you could get a sound card with an optical input. I replaced my computer speakers with an LG Bluray HTIB (LHB953) and have it hooked up to my PC through the digital optical out. I could change that over to the coaxial digital out and then use the optical input for the TV speaker input but I havent gotten that far yet. Its nice because its an LG reciever it has lg simplink that controls the TV and reciever from one remote and if I put in a bluray it changes the TV to the proper input automatically. Plus it matches
post #985 of 1146 Old 02-21-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggz503 View Post

You either get a receiver that supports optical/TOSLINK, or you opt for a set of speakers that is optical/TOSLINK capable. There are optical to analog converters out there, but for the price you're paying, it almost doesn't make sense to even get them in the first place.

Having said that, the only two options you have in the market right now, at least based on my searches are either the BEHRINGER MS40 or the LOGITECH Z-5500.

Cheers.
post #986 of 1146 Old 02-21-2010, 05:58 PM

anyone find the human skin tones on this TV tend to move towards a pale yellow?

The one negative aspect of this tv at least the one i'm testing is the color red isn't as predominant as others

The Warm preset gives a orange or yellow overcast to the image instead of warm red
post #987 of 1146 Old 02-21-2010, 11:03 PM

By input lag are you guys refering to the ''blurring effect'' or ??

I've just gotten the 32lh30 and while the colors and clairty are really great...I'm really not liking this blur look.

Dec 2009 manf. date. AU optrontics panel it seems. Most upto date firmware 4.53

Also can not turn that real cinema 24 thing off unless I use non custom settings..

Think I should take it back???

*bought it new for 400$*

P.S

I use it for

PC * settings I have make for a great experince...*except the blur in games*

360/PS3/Wii
post #988 of 1146 Old 02-22-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkisWR View Post

By input lag are you guys referring to the ''blurring effect'' or ??

There are two issues here, which are getting mixed up:

Input Lag is the delay between when a image is sent to the TV and when you see it on the screen. Manufacturers do not publish specs for this; at best, they claim to have a "game mode" that reduces this delay at the expense of some image quality. Typical values range from near-zero to over 100ms (1/10th of a second.) This is a critical issue for PC use and some types of gaming. Too much lag can cause a "drunken" feel, and makes timing-critical moves more difficult. As was mentioned previously, the Input Lag thread has tons of details about what it is, what models are most affected, etc.

Response Time is the time it takes for a pixel to change from one brightness to another. This is partly responsible for the "blurring" effect. This is the spec that manufacturers do publish, and is usually between 2 and 8ms. Unfortunately, there are different methods for measuring it, and other factors involved with blurring, so it doesn't tell you much about real-world performance.

There's no perfect solution, as improving one usually impacts the other. It's a compromise: Lag, Blur, Quality -- pick any two.

And for what it's worth, I bought a 37LH20-UA from Best Buy in January, which has an IPS panel in it. Low lag, reasonably low blur, with the tradeoff of rather poor black levels. There's nothing "awesome" about it, but it's great for XBox 360 gaming, which is really only 720p anyway.
post #989 of 1146 Old 02-22-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkisWR View Post

By input lag are you guys refering to the ''blurring effect'' or ??

I've just gotten the 32lh30 and while the colors and clairty are really great...I'm really not liking this blur look.

Dec 2009 manf. date. AU optrontics panel it seems. Most upto date firmware 4.53

Also can not turn that real cinema 24 thing off unless I use non custom settings..

Think I should take it back???

*bought it new for 400$*

P.S

I use it for

PC * settings I have make for a great experince...*except the blur in games*

360/PS3/Wii

Yes. Return it. If you don't like it now, you're only going to start hating it more and more. I noticed the blur only a little at first, but now I'm at the point where I refuse to play a single game on it.

Either try again for an IPS LH30 or just get a Panasonic L32S1 with a guaranteed IPS panel. It's great for gaming. We're talking about it here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1147687
post #990 of 1146 Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairellis View Post

My 32LH30 also looks like this. I have the 10/01/2009 and the 4.5 firmware as verified by the Menu, Options, Left, 5x #1.

Sorry but I stole your image, I can take a picture if need be, but this should cover it.

My sticker was right here almost under the plastic way in the corner and it says AU Optronics. So I have the AUO panel.

Just got mine from Amazon (well it came in Saturday but I just got to work). Bezel design similar to the picture above, Jan 2010 manufactured date, and it's a AUO panel.

Success!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page